• Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I am very excited to have the opportunity to work with Jason Gillespie again": Mir Hamza

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, the Pakistan left ...

"I learned more about myself after my debut": Shoaib Bashir

Bashir joins PakPassion for an exclusive interview where he ...

"Gary Kirsten will fit in nicely in Pakistan Culture": Vernon Philander

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Philander shares insights ...

"What is the guarantee that Gary Kirsten will take Pakistan to victory in the World Cup?": Atiq-uz-Zaman

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan International ...

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

Writing for PakPassion, international bowling coach Ian Pont provides an insight into the fast-paced game of T20 cricket in the run-up to the World T20 in Sri Lanka.

by Ian Pont (September 6, 2012)

With the ICC World T20 looming, I wanted to make your viewing of the entire competition slightly more enjoyable by giving you my insight into the game. 

Here are 50 facts about T20 Cricket to help you watch the game better:

1. T20 is 120 balls, not 120 free hits

2. Bowlers and batsmen who do well in 50 over cricket, and who you expect to do well, often don't

3. Power Plays often work against your team

4. Coaches can do little except wonder why their planning goes out of the window

5. You can have as many meetings as you like as a team but it rarely makes any difference

6. Fans cheer every single run and wicket - however good or bad 

7. Players will take every single run and wicket - however good or bad

8. However many times you explain to bowlers that yorkers are the hardest to hit...

9. However many times you explain to batters to rotate the strike...

10. Six an over is also a run a ball, as well as one big hit

11. Commentators will try to come up with "funny" one-liners that are very "unfunny"

12. The associate 'minnows' can be extremely dangerous opponents

13. A hat trick can REALLY spoil a match

14. T20 cricket has its own set of skills but the basics of cricket remain

15. World class players can play all formats of the game, including T20

16. T20 players can only play that format of the game

17. Running between the wickets is a skill in itself

18. It's ok to have a couple of quiet overs in a run chase

19. The best way to slow the run rate is to take wickets

20. Bowl fewer balls at the best batters and more at the lesser ones

21. Fielders set at long-off and long-on in the power play means full deliveries

22. Normal cricket shots are sometimes more effective that creative ones

23. The team that bowls the most dot balls usually wins

24. One bad over either way can genuinely change a match

25. You really cannot hear anything in the middle when the crowd is shouting and screaming

26. If an opener bats through 20 overs, he is likely to have more than 80 and the team more than 180

27. If you lose more than 5 wickets in the first 10 overs you will struggle

28. Coaches often plan for 9 an over in the power play (54 runs), 7 an over in next 9 overs (63) and 10 an over for last 5 (50)

29. If you lose 2 wickets in the first 6 overs, you spend the next 4 overs consolidating

30. Pinch hitters rarely work

31. If a batsman is hitting, going to yorkers early is a workable tactic

32. Everyone is the team should bat to a plan but remain flexible

33. Some batsmen are better at batting in the last 10 overs, or 5 overs, than in a power play

34. The game is played in three sections: 1-6 overs, 7-15 overs and 16-20 overs. Each is played with different tactics

35. Fielders bounce the ball in when they throw it from the outfield to scuff it up for reverse swing

36. A ball that bounces twice is a legitimate delivery. Spinners could master this as a variation

37. Momentum is hard to gain, but easy to lose

38. Expect commentators who have probably never played T20 to be offering their 'expert' advice

39. Both teams should bat on a pitch before you can decide if it's a good or bad one

40. When a ball gets wet with dew, it's very difficult for spinners to grip the ball or turn it

41. If a batsman is struggling to score, just get off strike as soon as possible

42. Never let a batsman settle by bowling the same deliveries repeatedly, unless he can't score off them

43. If both batsman are committed to a run and go early, chances are there's a run

44. Hesitation causes run outs

45. Before playing on a ground, during practice it's good for the batters to simulate reaching the fence, to judge distances

46. It's harder to catch a ball under lights than clear daylight

47. The white Kookaburra ball swings more than the red due to extra lacquer, but for less time. It discolours faster too

48. A batsman should target an area of the field they like to hit and can hit well. Move around the crease if needed

49. Umpires enjoy the match as much as anyone. They do a great job under pressure. They are fair and unbiased

50. T20 cricket is often completely random and the 49 points above can go out of the window

Enjoy the ICC T20 World Cup!