LATEST POLL

Who will be the highest wicket-taker for Pakistan in the 5-match T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Stunning fightback from Pakistan as they chase down 172 , winning by 1 wicket and 4 balls to spare and take the T20I series 2-0

By PakPassion Staff (1st August, 2015)

Result: Pakistan won by 1 wicket and 4 balls to spare. - Sri Lanka 172-7 (Kapugedara 48, Malik 2-16) , Pakistan 174-9 (Anwar 46, Afridi 45 , Imad 24)

Toss: Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat first.

Shahid Afridi decided to go with an unchanged side citing preparation for the World Cup and giving a chance to the young players. Sri Lanka had two debutants in Shehan Jayasuriya and Dasun Shanaka Who replaced Mathews and Vithanage.

Sri Lanka were off to a brisk start scoring at 10 an over in the first 2 overs. Dilshan was dropped by Hafeez in the 3rd over but was eventually caught 2 balls later off the bowling of Anwar Ali. The captain brought on Shoaib Malik who struck in his first over as Kusal Perera swept across the line and was bowled for 19. Jayasuriya and de Silva continued the runs flowing to put a 29 run partnership when Shahid Afridi broke through Dhananjaya de Silva's defenses and Sri Lanka were 61-3. Shoaib Malik got Thisara Perera stumped after a few balls and Pakistan were on top.

Sohail Tanvir came back for his second spell to pick the dangerous and well set Shehan Jayasuriya for 40 as Sri Lanka were 5 down. Siriwardana and Kapugedara came together with a brilliant 55 run partnership to rescue Sri Lanka. Mohammad Irfan came back in the 19th over to get Siriwardana caught in the deep for a well made 23. Kapugedara played a spectacular innings of 48* from 25 balls as Sri Lanka collected 59 runs in the last 5 overs to take Sri Lanka to 172-7 in their 20 overs.

Pakistan lost Shehzad early trying to smack one over mid on and was clean bowled by Fernando. Mukhtar didn't last long and was caught at deep mid-wicket in the same over to leave Pakistan struggling. To add to Pakistan's trouble's Mohammad Hafeez was run out and Pakistan were reeling on 33-3. Umar Akmal was also run out and Shoaib Malik was stumped to Siriwardana and Pakistan were floored by Sri Lanka on 40-5.

Skipper Afridi and M.Rizwan came in the middle with a 61 run partnership. Afridi hit Malinga and Vendersay for sixes to put Pakistan back on track. Thisara Perera bowled a slower one as he bowled Rizwan for 17 as the required rate increased to 11 an over plus. Shahid Afridi made 45 from 22 balls to give Pakistan some hope, he was bowled by Jayasuriya. Anwar Ali hit Jayasuriya for 2 sixes and a four to fetch 21 runs. Anwar Ali then hit Thisara for a six and a boundary, Pakistan picked up 12 in the over and needed 20 to win from the last 2 overs. Anwar was caught behind after scoring a spectacular 46 from 17 balls including 4 sixes to leave the equation at 9 runs from 8 balls for the last 2 batsmen to win. Sohail Tanvir was run out coming back for the second run and Pakistan were 9 down needing 6 to win in the last over. Mohammad Irfan was on strike and took single to give the strike to Imad who hit the ball for a SIX to win it for Pakistan by 1 wicket and 4 balls to spare.

Fall of wickets (Sri Lanka) :

Dilshan 1-24 (2.4 overs)
Kusal 2-32 (3.6 overs)
Dhananjaya 3-61 (8.4 overs)
Thisara 4-64 (9.3 overs)
Jayasuriya 5-90 (12.3 overs)
Siriwardana 6-145 (18.1 overs)
Shanaka 7-172 (19.6 overs)

Fall of wickets (Pakistan) :

Shehzad 1-11 (2.2 overs)
Mukhtar 2-16 (2.5 overs)
Hafeez 3-33 (5.3 overs)