LATEST POLL

Who will win the 1st T20I between Ireland and Pakistan?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I learned more about myself after my debut": Shoaib Bashir

Bashir joins PakPassion for an exclusive interview where he ...

"Gary Kirsten will fit in nicely in Pakistan Culture": Vernon Philander

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Philander shares insights ...

"What is the guarantee that Gary Kirsten will take Pakistan to victory in the World Cup?": Atiq-uz-Zaman

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan International ...

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

After an excellent fightback on day 1, it was now the turn of off-spinner Seed Ajmal to spin a web around South Africa's famed batting lineup.

South Africa Vs Pakistan: Test 2 - Day 2: 

Toss: South Africa won the toss and elected to field.

Teams

Pakistan: Mohammad Hafeez, Nasir Jamshed, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq*, Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed†, Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Irfan, Tanvir Ahmed

South Africa: GC Smith*, AN Petersen, HM Amla, JH Kallis, AB de Villiers†, F du Plessis, D Elgar, VD Philander, RJ Peterson, DW Steyn, M Morkel

Day 2

Day 2 couldn’t have started any worse for Pakistan, as overnight centurion Asad Shafiq edged the seventh ball of the day to Graeme Smith at first slip. Sarfraz Ahmed and Umar Gul both followed shortly after to give Vernon Philander his fifth wicket of the innings. At 268/8, it was looking like Pakistan would en up with a below-par score, quite a disappointment after their efforts yesterday.

Tanvir Ahmed and Saeed Ajmal had other plans however. They defied the South African attack, albeit against an older, less penetrative ball, for more than 18 overs, putting on a crucial partnership of 64. Tanvir in particular demonstrated his ability with the bat, scoring 44 runs including four boundaries. Ajmal finished unbeaten on 21, and the pair had managed to push the score on to a respectable 338, one that should challenge the home side.

The first major surprise of the innings was that Mohammad Irfan wasn’t given the new ball. Misbah instead opted to open the bowling with Umar Gul and Tanvir Ahmed. It almost proved to be the right decision as Gul induced an edge from Graeme Smith in the third over, but Younis Khan put down a straightforward catch to hand the South African captain a life. After ten overs, Pakistan were unable to find the breakthrough, and signs were that the batsmen were adjusting well to the conditions.

The introduction of Ajmal though, as it often is, proved to be the difference. In his second over, Smith was out LBW following a review as he attempted to play the sweep. Peterson also didn’t last long against the magician off-spinner, providing a sharp bat-pad chance at short leg where Azhar Ali took an excellent one-handed catch. At tea, South Africa were 65/2 and Pakistan were sniffing further wickets after the interval.

And the wickets came. First it was the big one of Hashim Amla. Ajmal got one to spin back in sharply to trap the batsman on the back foot, and once again Misbah successfully reviewed the decision. Jacques Kallis, demoted down the order following an extended bowling spell, was also dismissed by Ajmal, this time to quite a controversial decision. The umpire gave Kallis out caught at short leg for what he perceived to be an inside edge on to the pad. The batsman reviewed the decision, and although there was no edge, Hawkeye showed the ball clipping the stumps and the decision remained with the on-field umpire. Kallis was disgusted with the decision, perhaps rightfully so, and it appears to have highlighted another flaw with the DRS system, or at least in its implementation by the umpires. 

Ajmal took his fifth wicket, and the fifth of the innings, when he had du Plessis caught at slip to leave South Africa struggling on 109/5. Dean Elgar and AB de Villiers saw South Africa through a tricky trial by spin, and they closed the day on 139/5, still 199 runs behind.

Fall of Wickets

259-6 (Asad Shafiq, 91.1 ov), 
266-7 (Sarfraz Ahmed, 93.4 ov),
268-8 (Umar Gul, 95.5 ov),
332-9 (Tanvir Ahmed, 114.1 ov),
338-10 (Mohammad Irfan, 116.2 ov).

36-1 (Smith, 13.3 ov), 
50-2 (Petersen, 17.2 ov), 
84-3 (Amla, 31.4 ov), 
102-4 (Kallis, 39.2 ov), 
109-5 (du Plessis, 43.6 ov)

Summary

Another excellent day for Pakistan. Tanvir Ahmed and Saeed Ajmal helped them to post a competitive score, before the wizardry of Ajmal's bowling came to the fore. South Africa were quite clueless against him, and he will fancy a few more wickets tomorrow as the batsmen look to play themselves in again. The performance of the fast bowlers will have disappointed Misbah, with all three finishing wicket-less.

Pakistan are in a strong position in this game, and any sort of lead could prove decisive with the pitch already taking some turn. The pressure is all on the home side going into day 3.

Discuss!