LATEST POLL

Who will be the highest wicket-taker for Pakistan in the 5-match T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Hosts lost two wickets on the first day of play but they managed to put up a good score.

By Abdullah Ansari (25th November, 2016)

Toss: Pakistan won the toss, Azhar Ali opted to bowl first.

Teams

New Zealand: TWM Latham, JA Raval, KS Williamson (c), LPRL Taylor, HM Nicholls, C de Grandhomme, BJ Watling (wk), MJ Santner, TG Southee, MJ Henry, N Wagner.

Pakistan: Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali (c), Babar Azam, Younis Khan, Mohammad Rizwan, Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Mohammad Amir, Sohail Khan, Wahab Riaz, Imran Khan.

Pakistan won a crucial toss on a pitch with a good amount of grass supported by some heavy cloud cover, making three changes as Mohammad Rizwan, Wahab Riaz and Imran Khan all came into the XI, replacing Misbah-ul-Haq, Rahat Ali and Yasir Shah. The start with the ball was exceptional as Amir proved unplayable in the first over with the third ball resulting in Sami dropping a catch at slip off Raval. He made amends, somewhat, off the last ball off the over as a good length delivery was taken, a golden duck for Latham. In his third over, Amir dropped a low return catch, giving Williamson a reprieve. Raval was positive as Sohail struggled with his line and length against the left-handers, with a couple of good drives. Imran came on to bowl and while he kept it tight, he didn't make the batsmen play enough to pose a threat. Sohail was the one to make the second break through as Pakistan challenged a not out decision against Williamson. There was nothing on Hot-spot but a sound was audible and picked up on Snicko - some debate ensued as to whether it was after the ball passed the bat, but nevertheless, the 3rd umpire upheld the review. Sohail was hapless against Taylor, bowling short and wide as the batsman took full advantage. Wahab joined into the attack and continued in a similar manner before play was halted due to rain - that turned out to be the end of play on Day 1.

Summary: Not much to say but Pakistan will be disappointed with their efforts. Aparts from Amir's initial overs, the bowlers were poor and did not threaten enough on a pitch which had some help for the bowlers. When Taylor came out to bat, they simply seemed to forget how to bowl, offering up freebies for the batsman to put away as he raced to 29 off 20. Good spells on Day 2 will be essential to keep New Zealand to a limited total - if New Zealand drag out the innings, Pakistan might regret benching Yasir Shah.

Fall of wickets:

1-5 (Latham, 0.6 ov)
2-39 (Williamson, 14.5 ov)

Discuss!