LATEST POLL

Who will be the highest wicket-taker for Pakistan in the 5-match T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

If their recent form is any guide, England could well be looking at their maiden World Cup title in 2019. Currently ranked as number in ICC's Rankings for ODI Teams, this side has the firepower and the track-record to take on the very best the world has to offer and are strong contenders to win the ICC tournament.

By Saj Sadiq (26th May, 2019)

Strengths:

England's strengths are built around athleticism, professionalism and the fact that they have been preparing this squad for four years and have had a clear focus on selections, approach and their tactics. The brand of cricket they have been playing for the last four years has by and large been consistent and nothing has been left to chance. Their brand of cricket is well-tested, and they have strength in-depth in every area of the game. England seem to have all bases covered and all positions have competition for places and variety. If someone fails, then there looks to be someone who can step in and take their place, so you would expect the players to be on their toes when it comes to performing to keep their place in the starting XI. They don't just rely upon one or two players to carry them home and have an abundance of players who can take responsibility with bat or ball. 

Weaknesses:

England do not appear to have any obvious weaknesses. Yes, it's been highlighted that they have been conceding some big totals recently and Pakistan did show that the England bowling line-up is far from formidable. However, some of the surfaces England have been bowling on have been placid and batsmen-friendly. In addition, 10.30am starts will give bowlers a bit of leeway when it comes to restricting the opposition batsmen and flying starts may not be a regular thing especially if conditions are slightly damp and bowler-friendly and perhaps could lead to the likes of Jason Roy not being able to make the explosive starts England have been used to. 

Players to watch:

There are so many match-winners in England's squad that it's hard to single anyone out. They have been in fine form and a big plus is that quite a number of their players have been winning games for them. With the ball though Jofra Archer is expected to provide the X-factor for England. Only recently qualified, Archer has the ability to blast out any batting line-up. Bowling at over 90MpH, Archer's action is immaculate, and he already has a reputation around the world as a bowler who has the ability to singlehandedly win a match. With the bat Jos Buttler is a unique batsman who has already proved that he is one of the world's best. It doesn't matter what the match situation is, Buttler can come in and destroy the opposition bowling. He is an entertainer, someone who can play shots all around the park and some shots that others can't even dream of and the 2019 World Cup could be memorable one if Jos Buttler gets going for the homeside.

Prediction:

England have had a few close calls but have never won the World Cup. With this squad they will never get a better chance to win it. Anything less than a win will be seen as a failure. I think it will take someone to have a special day for England not to win the World Cup.

Full squad:

Eoin Morgan (capt), 
Moeen Ali, 
Jofra Archer, 
Jonny Bairstow, 
Jos Buttler, 
Tom Curran, 
Liam Dawson, 
Liam Plunkett, 
Adil Rashid, 
Joe Root, 
Jason Roy,