14:30 GMT, 25 April 2024

Announcement

Dear Members and Guests

The PakPassion team are delighted to welcome you back to our forums.

You will have noticed that we have re-launched the forums with a new software that we feel will provide our members with a much better all-round experience.

As with any upgrade, it will take a bit of time to get used to and there may be some issues that will need correcting. We have set up this thread

for you to report any issues that need looking into by our technicians or if you have any suggestions regarding the design and the layout of the forums.

We thank you for your patience whilst the forums were not available, but as you can imagine, a project like this takes a lot of planning, organising and hard work.

So, welcome back and happy posting!

LATEST POLL

Who will be the highest wicket-taker for Pakistan in the 5-match T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

"There were lessons for everybody at Qalandars to learn, including me": Sikandar Raza

Sikandar Raza, in his exclusive interview with PakPassion, reflects ...

Latest Content

Pakistan suffer an embarrassing 7-wicket loss in the 3rd T20I against New Zealand

Mark Chapman’s unbeaten half-century led New Zealand to a comfortable seven-wicket win over Pakistan in the third T20I here at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium on Sunday night. The win levels the five T20Is at 1-1, with the remaining two matches scheduled to take place in ...

Read more

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, Managing Director, and Co-founder of SACA, sheds light on the pressing issues faced by numerous British cricketers of South Asian heritage within the County Cricket circuit.                      ...

Read more

"Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief": Saj on the selection of the Pakistan T20I squad

Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief opines Saj as he reviews the Pakistan squad announced for the five-match T20I series against the Kiwis.

Read more

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared insights into his recent three-year deal signing with Worcestershire, marking a significant milestone in his cricketing journey. Originally from Pakistan, he relocated to the UK at the age of 11, where his family already had ties. ...

Read more

Talent Spotter

view all Talent Spotters
Talent Spotter : Israrullah

Latest Talent Spotter section puts the spot light on Peshawar Panther's player who has been called up for...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Asad Ali

Seeing Asad Ali bowling just blow my mind away ,A bowling style very much a replica of Darren...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Zafar Gohar

Zafar Gohar is a slow left-arm orthodox bowler from Lahore who impressed one and all during...

Read More ...

The team from Karachi has a new Coach, the world's top T20 batsman and a re-energized Mohammad Amir raring to go - so can they go the distance? 

By The Viper (15th February, 2020)

Throughout PSL history, Karachi Kings have consistently underachieved. In the four preceding editions, they have qualified for the playoff stages each season, yet they have failed to reach the finals once. Considering the talent Karachi has possessed over the years such as Babar Azam, Imad Wasim, and Mohammad Amir, their performances have been even more surprising. However, this season offers to be more promising for Karachi as they have ironed out some key weaknesses in their team.

Significantly, the PSL is being held completely in Pakistan this season. This offers Karachi some relief as their batting clearly struggled on the slow, damp UAE pitches. In particular, Babar Azam should enjoy a better season. Whilst he still was amongst Karachi’s top scorers, he only possessed a strike rate of 116, which was below his true standard. Traditionally, National Stadium in Karachi has been a batting track, so this will benefit Babar Azam and the other stroke makers in the squad.

The acquisition of Dean Jones was the biggest coup for Karachi. Whilst Mickey Arthur successfully led Pakistan to the number one ranking in T20I, he failed to replicate this success in the PSL. In contrast, Dean Jones is the most decorated coach in PSL history as he led Islamabad United to two PSL titles. Karachi has sorely lacked that winning mentality in the previous seasons; they have constantly lost the pivotal games. Therefore, Dean Jones will help Karachi add that cutting edge that they have lacked in previous seasons, which offers them a greater chance of finally reaching the final.

Strengths

The lack of firepower at the top of the order was a huge concern for Karachi last season. They have addressed this issue through the acquisitions of Alex Hales and Sharjeel Khan. Alex Hales, who has recently enjoyed a successful stint at the Big Bash League, is a significant upgrade over Colin Munro. Crucially, he should help ease the pressure on Babar Azam, who so often has to carry the team with the bat. However, Sharjeel Khan, who is just returning from a spot-fixing ban, is a much riskier purchase. Whilst he has not played top-level cricket for a long time, Sharjeel Khan is one of a few destructive Pakistani batsmen. On this basis, it is a risk worth taking, considering the dearth of local modern T20 players, and if he fires, Karachi should be consistently posting huge totals.

Weaknesses

One area that has not been addressed is the lower order of the batting, which has failed to finish games off in the past. Mohammad Rizwan has struggled in the T20 format, not just for Karachi, but also for the national team. Imad Wasim has provided some vital contributions for Pakistan in the ODI format. Yet, this does not change the fact that he failed to provide the finishing touch that Karachi requires at the end of their innings. Iftikhar Ahmed was the only bright spark in that middle order, where he struck at an impressive strike rate of 146. Unless Imad Wasim substantially increases his output, Karachi will struggle to finish games off.

Players to watch out for

Umer Khan was the find of the season for Karachi last year. The temperament he displayed whilst bowling was exceptional, and he bamboozled some of the best players in the PSL such as AB de Villiers, Shane Watson and Luke Ronchi in the process. If Karachi is going to succeed, they need him to be at the top of his game, like last season. Chris Jordan is a much-needed signing for Karachi. Apart from Mohammad Amir, they lacked a death bowler. In Chris Jordan, they have somebody who can bowl at a rapid pace, but also has the variations, and the ability to nail yorkers at the death.

Verdict

Like previous seasons, Karachi Kings should easily make the playoff stages. This season, their squad looks the strongest it has ever been, considering that they have recruited top-order reinforcements. Similarly, the bowling looks varied as they have new ball bowlers, a variety of spin options and death bowlers. They have the team to reach the final, and under Dean Jones, they have a great chance to make this prospect a reality.

Squad

Babar Azam, Mohammad Amir, Alex Hales, Imad Wasim (c), Iftikhar Ahmed, Chris Jordan, Aamer Yamin, Sharjeel Khan, Cameron Delport, Usama Mir, Mohammad Rizwan, Umaid Asif, Chadwick Walton, Ali Khan, Umer Khan, Arshad Iqbal, Mitch McClenaghan, Awais Zia.

Discuss!