Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"I have made comebacks in the past, I will do it again" : Fawad Alam

At 30 years of age and still with only three Test matches to his name, Fawad Alam continues to divide opinion. His domestic record remains as stellar as ever, averaging 56, 48 and 32 in First Class, List A and Twenty20 cricket respectively, yet a return to the Pakistan side in any format remains elusive. He was part of the Karachi Kings squad in the recently concluded Pakistan Super League (PSL) but was surprisingly not selected for a single game.

Now part of the Sindh team in the ongoing Pakistan Cup, Fawad spoke exclusively with PakPassion.net on a range of subjects including his recent experience with the Pakistan A side, the national team's performance at the World T20, his disappointment in the PSL and his aspirations of a return to the Pakistan team.

PakPassion.net : Whatís keeping you busy at the moment?

Fawad Alam : The Pakistan Cup is the next big thing on the calendar for Pakistan cricket but I recently played in the Quaid-e-Azam Grade II trophy where my team Karachi Blues qualified for the main Grade I Trophy and I am also pleased for myself as I scored 202 in the final game against Multan. Since then I have been concentrating on training and keeping my skills up to date with practice and am now busy with the Pakistan Cup.

PakPassion.net : As a contracted player in your off-season period, are you expected to follow a plan to keep yourself fit in readiness for international duties?

Fawad Alam : Yes, very much so. There is a plan provided to each player by the trainers and it is the responsibility of the players to follow that plan. We are told that these trainers are always available for consultation and advice throughout the off-season period. Personally speaking, I train at home regardless of any specific instructions and of course you need to understand that the best person to monitor oneís progress is the player himself. The player is the only one who benefits from this training regime. I am not just referring to cricket skills and fitness but also to things such as diet as well. The trainers, whether at the NCA or the national team, can only guide you. They cannot force you to train or follow their suggestions. It is this training during this time which is what makes the difference when we step on the field for Pakistan.

PakPassion.net : What lessons have been learnt by the players after the Yasir Shah drugs ban episode?

Fawad Alam : That matter is now closed but let me say that we are given very detailed instructions about what medicines to take and on top of that, there is tremendous support available to us pretty much 24/7 to discuss such matters which is crucial and very reassuring for us. We have the complete backing of the Board in this matter and our team doctor Sohail can be contacted at any time as well. There are sessions held to educate players and the Board has made sure that no player can claim ignorance to this very important aspect of our game.

PakPassion.net : You had a decent series with the bat against England Lions, that's surely a positive sign?

Fawad Alam : That is definitely the case as I felt very satisfied after playing against such good quality opposition. Some of the players we played against are quite impressive and also part of the national squad as well. So performing well against them did fill all of us with a lot of confidence in our abilities. To do well in such games is a great feeling for me personally and I am glad that we are getting to play in more of these types of series. The tour of Sri Lanka and the series against England Lions are prime examples of what can be an excellent opportunity for youngsters to make a name for themselves and also for players who may be out of form to get themselves back into the reckoning for selection for the national team.

PakPassion.net : How was the experience of captaining the Pakistan A side against the England Lions?

Fawad Alam : This wasnít my first experience as a captain as I had captained during the Sri Lanka A tour as well. Against England Lions, I took over the captaincy from Junaid Khan for two games as he was injured. I must say it was a very enjoyable experience as we gave a good account of ourselves to win the unofficial ODI series. It was a great feeling to be relied upon to captain the side, especially at a point where we were two down in the series and then I led the team to two victories. The support I had from the coaches and the team was brilliant and I really learnt a lot from this challenge.

PakPassion.net : Have we seen the last of Fawad Alam in a Pakistan shirt?

Fawad Alam : It's really down to self-belief at the end of the day, isnít it? I am not a negative thinker and I have trust in the Almighty and truly believe in my own capabilities. I will continue to work hard and put in whatever effort I can to make myself selectable. I am convinced that I will be back in Pakistan colours soon and just as I have made comebacks in the past, I will do it again! There is always an ebb and flow in oneís fortunes and these situations happen to all cricketers at some point in their career. My job is to put in the effort and the rest I leave with the Almighty.

PakPassion.net : Speaking about disappointments, the Pakistan Super League (PSL) experience must have felt strange?

Fawad Alam : Absolutely! There is no doubt that I am disappointed about having to sit out games when I have so many runs behind me in domestic cricket and have been a proven performer in the Twenty20 format for a number of years. To not play in one of the biggest tournaments to happen in Pakistan cricket was a hard pill to swallow but as always, I am an eternal optimist and took this setback in my stride. I have to be positive because if I start wondering why I didn't get a chance to play in the PSL then that would be detrimental to my career as a whole.

Having said that, I trained with the squad even though I was not in the playing eleven. There was enough interaction with some of the worldís top Twenty20 players as well as the best coaches in the business for me to still feel somewhat satisfied at the end of this tournament. It is definitely good for oneís morale and confidence when you speak and take on some of the expert advice I received during the PSL.

PakPassion.net : What was lacking in Pakistanís World Twenty20 campaign?

Fawad Alam : I firmly believe that the team chosen was a very good one; these are some of the best players in the world. All one can say is that despite having such players in the squad, somehow we just could not perform as we would have liked to. The Twenty20 format is a difficult one for all teams. Look at how Sri Lanka fared or even for that matter India who were being considered as hot favourites in their own backyard. Many people didnít think much of Englandís chances, yet they astounded all by reaching the finals. So I donít think we are as far behind the other teams as some experts would like to think. We did seem to be on a roll when we beat Bangladesh but then things didnít click after that game and we didnít do as well as we expected, losing games from advantageous positions.

PakPassion.net : Why is Pakistan struggling to produce quality batsmen?

Fawad Alam : I donít really feel it is a problem of the cricket system in Pakistan. It is down to individuals. If they can inject some consistency and discipline in their batting, then there is no reason why we cannot produce quality batsmen. Take the example of Younis Khan and ask how does he perform so well if there is a problem in our system? I do believe that Pakistan batsmen, young and upcoming, should follow his example to establish consistency in their batting. This is the secret to the quality that we lack. We need batsmen who can score runs in every game and not just one or two games and provide the stability that players like Misbah-ul-Haq used to provide in any format of the game.

PakPassion.net : Is there any advantage or disadvantage of a foreign Head Coach for the Pakistan team?

Fawad Alam : This is completely up to the Pakistan Cricket Board as to who they choose based upon the abilities of the applicants and whether their presence is beneficial for the team. However, I have often heard a point being made about communication or comprehension issues for our players when dealing with foreign coaches. We had Mickey Arthur as our coach in the PSL and we were able to understand him fine, so that is obviously not an issue as such. Also remember that whilst the players may not be able to express themselves so well in English, they are able to understand instructions. If there is a problem, then there are enough coaching staff to help out so all in all, communication is not the issue here. The real challenge is to find a coach who is best for the Pakistan team.

PakPassion.net : The Pakistan Cup surely presents you with another opportunity to impress?

Fawad Alam : I am very excited about being picked for the Sindh team and hoping that I will get to play a few games in front of home crowds. PSL was also a domestic tournament yet I couldnít get a game so am hopeful that there wonít be a repeat of that situation again. The Sindh team is very strong and is well balanced with good all-round strength. I am hoping that we can click as a combination from the word go and if we do that, then I see no reason why we canít go all the way to lift the trophy. This is a team of experienced individuals, some of whom are current Pakistan players and I am really looking forward to being part of this wonderful squad. The Faisalabad crowds are very enthusiastic about cricket and hopefully they will see some high quality games involving some of our best players. As a venue, you cannot beat Faisalabad, especially for such an important tournament.

PakPassion.net : Finally, the James Taylor retirement news must have been a shock to you, especially since you got to know him in the recent Pakistan England series?

Fawad Alam : It was a complete shock to all of us. My prayers go out to him for his recovery. We got to know each other during the series as we were all staying in the same hotel and we would meet at breakfast etc. He is a strong and very fit lad and I still find it incredible to hear that he is not well. All we can do is offer him our heartfelt prayers and hope that the Almighty grants him a complete recovery.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Great interview, such a nice and hard working guy he is. A better selection for Test matches.

I will continue to work hard and put in whatever effort I can to make myself selectable,

I hope like Fawad, some other cricketers also try to repeat this.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He needs to be in the team, in every format in my opinion.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely give Fawad a proper run in the test team. IT would be a bit unfair to throw him in the middle against the likes of Anderson and Broad right away. Better thing to do would be selecting him against WI in the home series.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he should have played Tests vs Eng in UAE in place of Shoaib Malik. But since the idea is to not groom any good player the best years of Fawad Alam have been thoroughly wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirforpresident View Post
    I would definitely give Fawad a proper run in the test team. IT would be a bit unfair to throw him in the middle against the likes of Anderson and Broad right away. Better thing to do would be selecting him against WI in the home series.
    The player they dont want in the side is given the cold treatment. First he will not be played on any tours, then suddenly youll see him selected on the big tours like Australia, Eng or SA. Ask Sarfraz Ahmed.
    And the chaheetey players are given full opportunities against minnows or in easy conditions such as UAE or subcontinent.

No one raises voice against this form of ****** pan thats been going on for years

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Very good attitude to have.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know Malik did well vs England but the fact is that Fawad should have been playing when Azhar Ali had to miss the 1st Test.

Recalling Malik was pretty on harsh on Fawad given he was already in the squad.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and still the decision makers go on in the board with no accountability. agree with @*syed59* - it could be that his excpetional talent has peaked already and pakistan has entirely missed one of the very best bating talents they have had. no one has been able to touch his numbers in pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Said it before will say it again you are looking at a future star of Pakistan..Fawad is a must in all forms.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayan View Post
    He needs to be in the team, in every format in my opinion.
    That's so true

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should definitely be in the Test team

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    One of the kindest souls to wear Pakistan colours - I sometimes think he is too kind to be in the Pakistan squad!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    feel sorry for this guy. Pak really wasted him as a player. Pak is a champion in wasting their own talent like fawad, sadaf hussain.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should have played instead of Malik in the test matches against England in the UAE.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Woah look at the optimism and zero whining. I really like his attitude and hard-work.

One of the fittest players around, add to that his consistency, I wonder whom has he perturbed in the PCB to be snubbed for so long? 3 tests, seriously?? Even Umar Amin has played more

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mans 30, needs to put some weight on, now this is unusual to say about pakistan player.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Cheltenham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Inzi View Post
    Mans 30, needs to put some weight on, now this is unusual to say about pakistan player.
    EXACTLY - in the pic he looks like a child next to a regular guy!! My lasting memory of farad is that of a guy who's Pak kit looked way too big for him, looks like he can barely wield a bat, and then struggling to hit the ball of the square - YET his stats show he can bat??!!! Good luck to him - he has a great attitude, work ethic and mindset - surely he can replace the selfie/ lipstick wearing parasites within the team!!!!

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    His batting is pretty ugly if you ask me. Whoever says that he needs to be in the T20 squad needs to have a reality check, then we might as well bring Awais Zia in the Test squad by that logic. I think Fawad is a brilliant choice for Tests but I'm not too sure about ODI's since his hitting ability is questionable.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Cheltenham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitAI View Post
    His batting is pretty ugly if you ask me. Whoever says that he needs to be in the T20 squad needs to have a reality check, then we might as well bring Awais Zia in the Test squad by that logic. I think Fawad is a brilliant choice for Tests but I'm not too sure about ODI's since his hitting ability is questionable.
    Spot on - our version of chanderpaul - godawful batting style but got the job done!

as for LOI - agreed, unless the make a special allowance for him so that a boundary is considered if he pierces the inner circle!

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No, please don't.

If this guy gets in tests which is fine, then our compulsive format confused selectors will induct him into ODIs as well which is a huge no-no.

So just keep him away, he's not good enough. Will remain a domestic bully like Mark Ramprakash

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitAI View Post
    hitting ability ko mat roe jao karo. The batsmen we select OVER guys like YK or Fawad , neither hit out when needed nor bat 50 overs. Mehez ****** pan karne ke liye hen team me Still they are in the team for 6+ years whereas good solid batsmen like Fawad, Shafiq etc are shrugged off so easily for "looking ugly" or playing slow.
    You guys need reality a check on what batting is and what to see in a batsmen apart from tullay baazi

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *syed59* View Post
    hitting ability ko mat roe jao karo. The batsmen we select OVER guys like YK or Fawad , neither hit out when needed nor bat 50 overs. Mehez ****** pan karne ke liye hen team me Still they are in the team for 6+ years whereas good solid batsmen like Fawad, Shafiq etc are shrugged off so easily for "looking ugly" or playing slow.
    You guys need reality a check on what batting is and what to see in a batsmen apart from tullay baazi
    I'm not looking at tullay baz. My point is that as a batsman Fawad has a poor technique and even players like Shafiq are terrible in ODI's. You need batsmen that are solid and can play with a solid SR.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone in Pakistan has poor technique because of domestic pitches. Hanif,Zaheer,Miandad, Inzi, were not good batsmen because they could play with good SR or had super duper technique.
    They were good because they had batting sense. They had a batting brain.

What you guys are looking these days is SR and ability to hit sixes, yea sure, but first batsmen needs to have brain, temperament, patience, grit, game awareness, like Root has, like Williamson has, like Amla has.
    THEN they turn to developing "hard core hitting" ability which makes them a complete batsmen.

Your just looking at tullay baazi in players like Akmal, Maqsood, Malik, Hafeez etc who have non of the above "core"things but oh wow they can atleast score at good SR and look beautiful while hitting, and ignoring players who have them "core" just because they cant score fast or look ugly.

Summary: Give more chances to "core" batsmen so they can become complete, instead of giving chances to limited sloggers who will never do anything of substance even after playing for 10 years and just intice idiots with slogged 4s and 6s and hence a useless 80+ SR which never wins anything for the team.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a good start in the Pakistan Cup.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He still has time, at least 5 years.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone in Pakistan has poor technique because of domestic pitches. Hanif,Zaheer,Miandad, Inzi, were not good batsmen because they could play with good SR or had super duper technique.

What you guys are looking these days is SR and ability to hit sixes, yea sure, but first batsmen needs to have brain, temperament, patience, grit, game awareness, like Root has, like Williamson has, like Amla has.
    THEN they turn to developing "hard core hitting" ability which makes them a complete batsmen.

Your just looking at tullay baazi in players like Akmal, Maqsood, Malik, Hafeez etc who have non of the above "core"things but oh wow they can atleast score at good SR and look beautiful while hitting, and ignoring players who have them "core" just because they cant score fast or look ugly.

Summary: Give more chances to "core" batsmen so they can become complete, instead of giving chances to limited sloggers who will never do anything of substance even after playing for 10 years and just intice idiots with slogged 4s and 6s and hence a useless 80+ SR which never wins anything for the team.
    Which batsmen are according to you the core batsmen we have atm.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The guy should be a permanent fixture in all squads. But alas we think tullay baaz like umar the brainless wonder is given prominence. The fact that that waster Malik was given a chance over fawad was a travesty. We'll select him in two years time he'll hit a century and we'll say he''s the next Misbah. Stupid fans stupid selectors.
    Last edited by MenInG; 22nd April 2016 at 12:50.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    The guy should be a permanent fixture in all squads. But alas we think tullay baaz like umar the brainless wonder is given prominence. The fact that that waster Malik was given a chance over fawad was a travesty. We'll select him in two years time he'll hit a century and we'll say he''s the next Misbah. Stupid fans stupid selectors.
    Malik is not the answer but neither is fawad

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Malik is not the answer but neither is fawad
    he actually is a decent bat who can hold a position within the wider squad and the test squad. Name me one batsman who is ahead of him in the situation he is in. Umar akmal? lol, shehzad? umar amin? Malik? these are the names trotted out by PP everyday yet they are all rubbish. Why not fawad?

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    he actually is a decent bat who can hold a position within the wider squad and the test squad. Name me one batsman who is ahead of him in the situation he is in. Umar akmal? lol, shehzad? umar amin? Malik? these are the names trotted out by PP everyday yet they are all rubbish. Why not fawad?
    sure, can be in the test squad. for his good, it will be better if its after the australian tour.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Young players should emulate Younis Khan: Fawad Alam

ISLAMABAD: Batsman Fawad Alam has said that the young and upcoming players should follow the example of Younis Khan to establish consistency in their batting saying it is the quality that is lacking.

He said Pakistan are struggling to produce quality batsmen is not a problem of the cricket system in the country. “It is down to individuals. If they can inject some consistency and discipline in their batting, then there is no reason why we cannot produce quality batsmen,” he said.

He said take the example of Younis and ask how does he perform so well if there is a problem in our system. “I believe that Pakistan batsmen, young and upcoming, should follow him (Younis). We need batsmen who can score runs in every game instead of one or two games.

“They need to provide the stability those players like Misbah-ul-Haq used to provide in any format of the game,” he said.

Speaking about the appointment of the national team coach, he said there is no disadvantage of hiring a foreign head coach for the national team saying there are no communication issues for the players to understand the overseas coaches.

Alam said it is up to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) as to who they choose as coach based upon the abilities of the applicants.

“I have often heard a point being made about communication or comprehension issues for our players when dealing with foreign coaches. We had Mickey Arthur as our coach in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and we were able to understand him fine, so that is obviously not an issue,” he told Pakpassion.net.

He said that whilst the players may not be able to express them so well in English but are able to understand the instructions.

“If there is a problem, then there is enough coaching staff to help out therefore communication is not the issue here. The real challenge is to find a coach who is best for the Pakistan team,” he said.

APP

http://aaj.tv/2016/04/young-players-...an-fawad-alam/

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad is a very effective and consistent batsman and a very good fielder, unlike his present counterparts in Pakistan team. Pakistani selectors are still living in the past of flamboyant and elegant era of Anwar, Inji, Yousuf, Ijaj and they dreamt these character in Shehzad, Hafeez, Masood, U.Akmal, khurram, Maqsood, Asad which have already been proved as nightmare. Pakistan now should rely on accumulator like Fawad, Babar Azam. With disappointment i noticed that some knowledeble Pakistani posters always raise question about Fawad's batting style and technique. They are either fans of Shehzad and Asad co or are unaware of Fawad's talent. Still there are 6 to 7 years of batting left in this poor guy who was victim of world famous Pakistani nepotism. Pakistan should include him just now at least in tests.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on his record he should absolutely be given a chance in tests and allowed to show what he can do. You can't say any uncapped batsman in Pakistani cricket actually deserves a spot ahead of him in this day and age because the current talent pool is a joke. Fawad can't do worse than anyone else, what is the harm in giving him an extended run?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I guess the question is whether the likes of Fawad deserve another chance or whether it's time to give some of the younger guys a chance.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry mate. If you see Fawad Alam coming even close to the names you've mentioned in your post, I guess we are watching different games. As nice as Alam is, he was ruthlessly exposed by Australia in one ODI series. Australians had never faced this guy before, yet he was worked out within 2 games and quite frankly, embarrassed.

Failed spectacularly against Bangladesh too, when he had the chance to cement a spot. Alam might turn out to be a decent test player with his gritty gameplay, but please keep him light-years away from LOI cricket.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I guess the question is whether the likes of Fawad deserve another chance or whether it's time to give some of the younger guys a chance.
    He's a mediocre LOI player but can be somewhat useful when Misbah/Younus retire in tests (in Asia) but by that time he would be 31-32 so its better to invest in someone else.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Tests yes, but not dynamic enough in LOIs. Cut off his scoring areas and he's found out. His grittier style is better suited for longer format.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fawad Alam's absence in the PSL

I know this is a bit dated, but does anyone know why Fawad Alam didn't play in the PSL? He was in Malik's team, was Malik not playing him because they are both middle order batsmen in contention for a national spot?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He didn't play him cuz he's not really a t20 player. Sakhib malik bopara are better t20 players

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Malik preferred Punjab players over him. Even Shahzaib, a renowned opener for Karachi t20 teams, was played in the 4th game, as was Sohail Khan. Only 3 Karachi players were in KK squad

There were such a dismal returns from everyone except Bopara, its strange how Fawad was not even tried in one game.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He isn't a T20 player.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Good to see that most of the Fawad fans have finally gone quiet.

He is rubbish in Limited Overs and a total liability, can only milk spinners.

Has no scoring avenues against the pacers and is totally helpless against deliveries aimed at his body.

In addition, he has awful stroke-making ability and zero power game and balance at the crease.

He has excellent temparement and can grind out tough runs, so he can be a useful Test player especially in the UAE/Asian conditions.

He will probably get his chance when Younis and Misbah retire, especially with Haris going nowhere with his fitness.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not suited for modern LOI cricket tbh in tests he will do well in UAE but outside of subcontinent he may struggle I like him but I have to accept the reality

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The consensus is "bad for LOI's, worth a shot in tests". Sounds reasonable.

Personally i think it's insane that Hafeez holds down a spot while a guy with Fawad's record has only played 3 tests. He deserves a run more than anyone else in Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Ab kiya karain Fawad Bhai?

I feel for him but is there space for him in the Pak middle order? or should we take Inzi's statement on Iftikhar Ahmed's off-spin as the deal clincher?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Ab kiya karain Fawad Bhai?

I feel for him but is there space for him in the Pak middle order? or should we take Inzi's statement on Iftikhar Ahmed's off-spin as the deal clincher?
    Mickey will watch Ifti and with his batting style and useless offspin, he's never going to get a nod. Fawad should be standby by all means.

He's our best domestic FC player, ever! Cant ignore him for ever

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fawad should have been a permenant fixture in the batting lineup for over 8ish years, I get the feeling he has NO uncle in high places.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Another series, another opportunity gone for Fawad;

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did quite well in Asia Cup why was he dropped? Definitely better than the likes of Shoaib Malik.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Another series, another opportunity gone for Fawad;
    I am actually more disappointed in the fact that nobody brings up his and Sadaf's names whenever we are having those exclusive Interviews with selectors / past influential players etc etc.

Why don't you guys ask the difficult questions to the people in charge MIG bahi ??

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's good in taking single and doubles and keep the score board ticking I think we need a player like him to provide stability in middle order.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    His career is over sadly unless miraculously he makes a comeback like Misbah and that too in tests only.

Don't see him getting selected in LOI teams anymore. He could not find a place even in his PSL team.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Stats go out of the window when you see him actually bat.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not an ODI player, no problem with him in tests though.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I would've picked either him, Saud, or Shafiq ahead of one of Sharjeel/Sami.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HuuGE BUMP

Why is not in any team at all>?

Severely Addicted to Pakistan Cricket despite the grave side effects!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think only way he will have international career is if he emigrates.

Looks like he has NO chacha in high place.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very unfair not to include him. He deserves it fully. Highly unrated player

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be a permanent replacement for Misbah at number 5 when he retires

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    More pain ahead

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar will take the place of hafeez in the test 11.

Then there will be two places open somewhere mid year next year. Ideally I would like Harris Sohail and saud shakil to take those places but I think guys like umar amin and fawad Alam will fancy their chances too.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember Misbah only came into team after years of being kept out by Inzimam and Yousuf

Fawad should stay patient, he still has potential 6-8 years opportunity

Younis and Misbah need to be replaced long term and Haris Sohail and Fawad have best long term first class averages so are best suited to replace them

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we fail to bat out 50 overs in 2-3 odis against England than Fawad should have a permanent position in the middle order

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only batting, PPers have issue with Fawad's built, looks, height, stature, moustache, everything lol. He is most scrutinized player.

Fawad cannot sweetly time the ball like Naseer Jamshed, lacks the muscle power to hit 4s and 6s as well, he cannot run 2s and 3s like ABD, Kohli and Dhoni. Overall, you cannot even call him 'modern day' Rameez Raja.

Fawad should definitely bulk up, new age Pakistani cricketers are indeed malnourished.

Regarding Rasheed Lateef, I don't know why this mediocre cricketer enjoys such high reputation in Pakistan. Not being involved in any of 90s match fixing has earned him this repute and fame? He is nobody in front of his great Pakistani contemporaries.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

So really Fawad cant play ODIs?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has scored just at the right time.... needs few more maybe 2 or 3 centuries this season and he goes directly into the test team

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should also be noticed that his hundred has come only in 156 deliveries and with a six on pitches and a first class structure where most batsmen are having trouble reaching into double figures.

Just hope he hits at least 3 more hundreds, with one of them being a really, really big one. He'd get a look in for SURE after that.