Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"Ball tampering when Wasim & I did it, later same people called it reverse-swing" : Waqar Younis

A legend of world cricket and the pride and joy of Pakistan fans, Waqar Younis was one of the most feared and destructive bowlers in history. Boasting 789 international wickets at phenomenal strike rates in both Tests and ODIs, he was a nightmare for all batsmen, who collectively breathed a sigh of relief when he retired from the game in April 2004.

Waqar continued to be heavily involved with Pakistan cricket, enjoying stints as bowling coach from March 2006 to January 2007, and again in 2009. In February 2010 he succeeded Intikhab Alam as Head Coach of the Pakistan team and his tenure produced mixed results, including a defeat in the semi-finals of the 2010 World T20 and 2011 World Cup, and Pakistan’s first Test win over Australia in 15 years. He resigned from the position in August 2011 but was re-appointed in May 2014 for a two-year period which ended with him stepping down in April 2016 following Pakistan’s disappointing Asia Cup and World Twenty20 campaigns.

One of the pioneers of reverse-swing, Waqar Younis has made valuable contributions to Pakistan cricket both during and after his playing career, and in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.Net, the 44-year-old spoke about his most recent stint as Head Coach, his recommendations for improving Pakistan cricket, and his memories of the controversy-filled England tour in 1992.

PakPassion.net : Given the pressure of the job, you must be feeling ten years younger since leaving the position of Head Coach of the Pakistan cricket team?

Waqar Younis : Yes I do actually to be honest. I'm on holiday travelling around Europe with my children which is enjoyable and yes I'm feeling younger and relieved. It's the sort of job that is full of pressure, regardless of how well you do, or how badly you do. When you are away from such a job regardless of results you will feel relieved. I guess it's nice to be on the other side of things and not having that constant pressure around you.

PakPassion.net : What was the most frustrating aspect of being Pakistan's Head Coach?

Waqar Younis : The most frustrating aspect of the role was that the people in the Pakistan Cricket Board running Pakistan cricket and the people who are working on the field are not on the same page and that's what I feel is the biggest problem. It doesn't matter whether the coach is Javed Miandad, Waqar Younis or anyone else, he is going to have problems if everyone is not on the same page and everyone isn't heading in the same direction. When that happens, then it becomes very frustrating for the coach. Everybody wants to win but when you are working at the international level you have to develop players and give them opportunities and wait for the good times to come. But in Pakistan cricket and not just at Board level there is a lot of frustration and they want to win everything quickly and that doesn't work when you lose your top players. It takes time for younger players to come through and this is what happened in the fifty-over format where we tried to bring through younger players and people started to get frustrated with the results. We need to develop a position within the Board where that individual brings everyone together, or the Board needs to give more powers to the Head Coach.

PakPassion.net : Do you think one of the problems within Pakistan cricket is that the Chairman is not a former cricketer himself?

Waqar Younis : It has been a problem for a number of years, it's definitely an issue. The people running Pakistan cricket should be former cricketers. If not the Chairman, then the key decision-makers advising the Chairman should be former cricketers. I've stated this fact in my recommendation reports to the Pakistan Cricket Board. You need a cricket committee who make the cricketing decisions. What's happening is that all of the decisions are coming from the Board of Governors and there are no cricketers amongst them. The wrong people are making the important cricket decisions. We need to give responsibility to those who have played cricket for Pakistan at the top level, such as Wasim Akram, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq and Ramiz Raja, all of who know and understand how cricket is changing and what is required in domestic cricket. It's great that Mudassar Nazar is back working for the PCB and I had been suggesting that Mudassar should be brought back for a long time. Wasim Akram needs to be utilised more by the Board for suggestions and ideas and to help Pakistan cricket move forward.

PakPassion.net : In your position as Head Coach, you've seen how Pakistan cricket is being run. Given what you have witnessed, how do you see Pakistan cricket's future in the coming years?

Waqar Younis : If international cricket does not come back to Pakistan in the next ten years we are done and our cricket will be finished. We have to make sure our domestic structure is improved and is of a better standard. Look at the example of South Africa who were out of international cricket for many years but I remember going to South Africa for the first time in 1994 and when playing against them I felt like this nation had never been away from international cricket. This was due to their strong domestic cricket structure that produced excellent cricketers.

Our stadiums are rundown and empty; nobody is watching domestic cricket apart from the major twenty-over tournaments. Our cricket committee needs to have eight to ten people who were top quality cricketers who have played around the world and at the highest level as their ideas can be beneficial to the Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan cricket's future. I gave the PCB the names of people who should be on the cricket committee, but sadly none of those people are there. Instead they have brought in Iqbal Qasim and Nadeem Khan who played cricket so long ago and are not really in touch with modern day cricket. I have nothing against these people but we need to move forward.

PakPassion.net : You must be smiling to yourself as each one of your suggestions gets implemented by the PCB after you have left the post of Head Coach?

Waqar Younis : I just wish they had made these changes in response to my first set of recommendations and then things would have been a lot better for me and the Board and the team. However, I'm glad things are moving in the right direction because that is the direction that other international cricket teams have been heading. I could have given them more ideas and suggestions, but I guess that wasn’t to be and this is where we are currently at. The most important recommendation I made to the Board was the running and the revival of the academies around Pakistan, which had been half-built and then left without any care or attention. I needed those academies to be functional and for those academies to have international coaches coming and working there. Look at Bangladesh and why they have improved, their academies and cricketers at Under 19 level have been coached by international coaches from Australia, England and other parts of the world. We need that change, we need to see international coaches who have no baggage coming to Pakistan and working at the academies around the country with our players. This will make a huge difference and will have the right impact.

PakPassion.net : Do you think your tenure as Head Coach would have been a lot smoother had Inzamam-ul-Haq been Chief Selector?

Waqar Younis : We would have done a lot better as a team because Inzamam understands me, we played a lot of cricket together, we have that understanding and relationship and Inzamam doesn't bring any baggage with him to the role. I had suggested in my first recommendations report to the PCB that Inzamam should be the Chief Selector and you will see the positive difference. Unfortunately, it didn't happen and that was detrimental to Pakistan cricket.

PakPassion.net : Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad find themselves at a crucial point in their cricketing careers. What advice do you offer them?

Waqar Younis : I sat with them many times and told them what I wanted from them. I sat with them ahead of the 2015 World Cup and told them what I and the team expected and needed, and what the nation wanted from them. I worked hard on them but unfortunately the passion is not there. The cricketing passion is missing from them. They need to realise that cricket isn't just about making money, cricket is not a business and it's about passion. Sometimes I got the impression that these youngsters don't offer enough. They are thinking about too many other things and not about cricket. Look at the era when I played cricket, with the likes of Inzamam-ul-Haq and Wasim Akram, these guys thought about nothing other than cricket. This is an area where I feel these youngsters are lacking. Umar and Ahmed need to pull their socks up if they want to get back into the team. Talent will only take you to a certain level, after that it's hard work that will carry you forward. We have seen enough of their talent and if they are not prepared to work hard then we may not see them again in the Pakistan team.

PakPassion.net : Have you any advice for Mickey Arthur?

Waqar Younis : Be patient and be honest. I think that will be the key for him. I've heard he's a disciplinarian and I think that will work for him. He's an experienced coach and he's coached around the world and that will be beneficial. I think the Pakistan team will blossom under Mickey Arthur. Things are moving forward, Mudassar Nazar is there now and he will do a good job with the academies and we have to be patient. Everyone has to give Mickey some time and not expect too much, too soon.

PakPassion.net : You have been quoted as saying you have unfinished business as Pakistan Head Coach...?

Waqar Younis : I've been misquoted by some reporters regarding this unfinished business quote. I don't have unfinished business, this is ridiculous. All this, 'I will be back' stuff and 'have regrets', that's all untrue. I enjoyed my time as Head Coach and I feel that some cricketers improved under my supervision. Younger players were given an opportunity and now those players are coming though. The likes of Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed have become established players now for Pakistan. In addition, Mohammad Rizwan, Wahab Riaz and now with Mohammad Amir, Pakistan has the makings of a good side. I feel I made progress and the team made progress but unfortunately because we lost some limited overs series as we were a young team, there was a lot of negativity and things did not quite turn out the way that everyone wanted them to.

PakPassion.net : There appears to be a lot of pressure on Mohammad Amir. Do you think he can cope with the expectations and in your opinion, just how good is he?

Waqar Younis : He's a seriously wonderful talent. The only thing that worries me is that we are putting him under a lot of pressure. We should allow him to go out there and just play cricket and enjoy his cricket. Expectations are going to be high as he's due to play some big series. Everyone's eyes will be on him at Lord's and instead of labelling him as a superstar and saying he will do this and that, we should sit back and allow him to get back into the Test match groove without too much pressure. He has the talent, he's a gifted cricketer, who is enthusiastic and energetic, but let him perform and let him get back into it. I think once he's back playing Test cricket and in rhythm he will trouble batsmen all around the world.

PakPassion.net : What are your memories of the 1992 controversy-filled Test series in England?

Waqar Younis : It was an amazing series and it's a series that will stay with me forever. In fact, 1992 as a year will always be special to everyone involved in Pakistan cricket and will be dear to our hearts forever. The World Cup win and then the successful Test series in England, beating New Zealand away from home; it was a great year.

When you are touring England, it doesn't matter where you are from, you just have to be careful with the controversies. There are hawks out there looking at you and that's what happened in 1992 with the ball-tampering allegations. But overall the memories of that series are great and I cherish those memories.

PakPassion.net : Ball-tampering one day, then labelled reverse-swing later. That must still frustrate you?

Waqar Younis : It was being called ball-tampering back then when Wasim and I did it, later the same people were calling it reverse-swing. I laugh at that now because I am glad that the art of reverse-swing was eventually recognised. People look up to the art and whenever people talk about reverse-swing they mention Wasim Akram and myself and the other names who bowled reverse-swing later are mentioned afterwards. It gives me immense happiness that we were the pioneers of reverse-swing and it's a skill that is now widely recognised and helps young fast bowlers.

PakPassion.net : Do you think the 1992 Test series in England was pivotal for the art of reverse-swing?

Waqar Younis : The 1992 Test series in England was a revolution when it comes to reverse-swing and fast bowling. The Pakistan team had three or four fast bowlers who were very good at reverse-swinging the ball around at that time and that skill has continued to this day when it comes to Pakistan's pace bowling attack. The 1992 series in England paved the way for future generations of bowlers perfecting the art of reverse-swing not only in Pakistan but later around the world. I feel proud that Pakistani pace bowlers are credited with the art of reverse-swing and that skill has continued through the generations.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 6th July 2016 at 02:57.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Must be painful to see everyone talking about reverse-swing like it was invented by them!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Must be painful to see everyone talking about reverse-swing like it was invented by them!
    white privilege. But ultimatley the truth is simply the truth. And the fact is nobody can still do it like wiqi and waz used to. all the new age pretenders think they can do it like they did but the truth is I havent seen anyone like waqar in his prime!!

coming onto the patience part of his interview. He is right and this applies to the fans too who also idiotic and impatient too...just look at this forum at times? it goes from wrist slitting to euphoria in an over!!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed reading this, a shame Waqar as a coach didn't work out. He had some faults but pcb not listening to a legend of Pakistan cricket is really disappointing and fustrating to hear.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Actually an insightful interview, enjoyed that. Whilst I had my criticisms of Waqar and his tactical nous as a coach, I don't doubt his sincerity and commitment to the job.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    An insightful interview... he has the basics right. Don't agree on everything but I really respect his views on Pakistan cricket and how we can improve in the future. Interesting to see some of his changes being implemented now with the PCB getting the plaudits for it. Better late than never...
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 6th July 2016 at 06:24.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very good interview.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good Interview. But i actually judge people by actions and what they do. Anyone can give a good talk. Waqar had many chances to coach Pakistan and failed every time. Don't be fooled by outburst against the PCB, i am patriotic, i am sacrificing so much to coach Pakistan, the guy was just saving face when the end was nigh.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    Good Interview. But i actually judge people by actions and what they do. Anyone can give a good talk. Waqar had many chances to coach Pakistan and failed every time. Don't be fooled by outburst against the PCB, i am patriotic, i am sacrificing so much to coach Pakistan, the guy was just saving face when the end was nigh.
    Facts state otherwise

He was a great coach.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Facts state otherwise

He was a great coach.
    No he wasn't a great coach. The teams odi and t20 fortunes tell a different story.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    No he wasn't a great coach. The teams odi and t20 fortunes tell a different story.

Performances didn't go down significantly in any aspect.

They improved significantly in Tests ( We hadn't won a test series in 2+ years before he came.)

In ODIs we were in disarray and had a terrible CT2013 where we lost every game. So by that standard we improved. Ofcourse no where near acceptable but Waqar's hands were tied and he had to make do with players he didn't want and influences which weren't the best

T20s you can say he had no impact on. Afridi was basically running the show himself.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 6th July 2016 at 09:18.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest our LOI teams will continue to suffer, no matter who is coach. The mind-set is just not there in these players. Couple that with poor techniques and poor habits, there is a reason we are languishing at the bottom. Waqar obviously has had personality issues, right from his playing days. You expect that from a player of his stature. But he cannot really be blamed for the performance of a LOI team that had no option but to go for Azhar Ali as ODI captain when Misbah retired. Thats how bad it is and will continue to be.

Mudassar Nazar is the last hope of Pakistan producing decent LOI cricketers. The culture has to be built where modern world batting tactics are given the utmost importance.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent interview, well done pp.

once again the most prominent problem that i took away from the interview was the pcb. this seems to be an unfixable problem.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This set up needs to be persisted with for at least 5 years before we start seeing major results. I've said it before-Pakistan is a long term rebuild right now and people need to be patient.

I'm happy things are going in the right direction, but there are still a lot of bad people in powerful PCB positions.

I do think that you will see Arthur do a very good job. Discipline is what this team needs, and while it will take some time for him to establish that culture, the right things are already being done to move Pakistan in that direction.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I think Waqar got a bit of a rough deal as coach from some.

He had some good ideas and suggestions but they all seemed to be accepted too late by PCB.

Sadly the PCB brought in some individuals like Haroon Rasheed in key roles who made Waqar's job even harder.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    http://www.samaa.tv/sports/2016/07/p...-waqar-younis/

ISLAMABAD: Former head coach Waqar Younis has urged the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to utilize Wasim Akram more as his suggestions and ideas can help Pakistan cricket to move forward.

Waqar said the key decision-makers advising the Chairman should be former cricketers. “I have stated this fact in my recommendation reports to the Pakistan Cricket Board.”

“You need a cricket committee who make the cricketing decisions. What’s happening is that all of the decisions are coming from the Board of Governors and there are no cricketers amongst them,” he told Pakpassion.net.

“We need to give responsibility to cricketers such as Wasim Akram, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq and Ramiz Raja. Wasim needs to be utilised more by the Board for suggestions and ideas and to help Pakistan cricket move forward,” he said.

Waqar said we have to make sure our domestic structure is improved and is of a better standard. “Look at the example of South Africa who was out of international cricket for many years but I remember going to South Africa for the first time in 1994 and when playing against them I felt like this nation had never been away from international cricket. This was due to their strong domestic cricket structure that produced excellent cricketers”.

He said our stadiums are empty, nobody is watching domestic cricket apart from the major twenty-over tournaments. “Our cricket committee needs to have eight to ten top quality cricketers as their ideas can be beneficial to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and Pakistan cricket’s future.”

“I gave PCB the names of people who should be on the cricket committee, but instead they have brought in Iqbal Qasim and Nadeem Khan who played cricket so long ago and are not really in touch with modern day cricket. I have nothing against these people but we need to move forward,” he said.

Speaking about the new head coach Mickey Arthur, Waqar advised Mickey to be patient and honest. “He is an experienced coach and he has coached around the world and that will be beneficial. I think the Pakistan team will blossom under Mickey.”

“Things are moving forward, Mudassar Nazar is there now and he will do a good job with the academies and we have to be patient.

Everyone has to give Mickey some time and not expect too much, too soon,” he said. –APP

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Waqar bashes critics of his and Wasim’s reverse swing skill

Former Pakistan head coach Waqar Younis believes people who criticised him and Wasim Akram for ball-tampering later revealed their bigotry by calling the same art reverse swing.

Known as the ‘Sultans of Swing’, the duo were lethal during the 1992 tour to England and ended up being accused of ball-tampering. However, nothing was proved against them.

“It was being called ball-tampering back then when Wasim and I did it; later, the same people were calling it reverse swing,” said Waqar. “I laugh at them now because I am glad that the art of reverse swing was eventually recognised. People look up to the art and whenever people talk about reverse swing, they mention Wasim and myself and the other names who reverse swung the ball later are mentioned afterwards. It gives me immense happiness that we were the pioneers of reverse swing and it’s a skill that is now widely recognised.”

Pakistani pacers are considered to be the finest when handling reverse swing and the 44-year-old thinks the 1992 series in England was pivotal for the development of this art.

“The 1992 Test series in England was a revolution when it comes to fast bowling,” said Waqar. “The Pakistan team had three or four fast-bowlers who were very good at reverse swinging the ball and that skill has continued to this day when it comes to Pakistan’s pace bowling attack.

“The 1992 series in England paved the way for future generations of bowlers who perfecting the art of reverse swing not only in Pakistan but around the world as well. I feel proud that Pakistani pacers are credited with the art of reverse swing,” he added.

The 2010 sting operation against Mohammad Amir, Salman Butt and Muhammad Asif by an English publication which led to a ban on the trio is an example of how critical the English media can be and Waqar thinks the behaviour is not limited to cricketers of any specific country.

“When you are touring England, it doesn’t matter where you are from; you just have to be careful with the controversies,” he cautioned. “There are hawks out there looking at you and that’s what happened in 1992 with the ball-tampering allegations.”

‘PCB needs to utilise Wasim more’

The former right-arm pacer said the Pakistan Cricket Board should utilise Wasim Akram more in order to push the country’s cricket forward.

“It [a non-cricketer chairman] has been a problem for a number of years, it’s definitely an issue,” said Waqar. “The people running Pakistan cricket should be former cricketers. If not the chairman, then the key decision-makers advising the Chairman should be former cricketers. I’ve stated this fact in my recommendation reports to the Pakistan Cricket Board.”

“You need a cricket committee which makes cricketing decisions. What’s happening is that all of the decisions are coming from the Board of Governors and there are no cricketers amongst them. Wrong people are making important cricket decisions,” he added.

“We need to give responsibility to those who have played cricket for Pakistan at the top level, such as Wasim, Younus Khan, Misbahul Haq and Ramiz Raja. All of them know and understand how cricket is changing and what is required in domestic cricket. It’s great that Mudassar Nazar is back working for the PCB and I had been suggesting that for a long time. Wasim needs to be utilised more by the PCB for suggestions and ideas and to help Pakistan cricket move forward,” Waqar further said.

‘Too much pressure on Amir a worry’

Mohammad Amir recently displayed his class against Somerset in the three-day match where he took four wickets and Waqar thinks he can be a class act if he can focus on cricket.

“He [Amir] is a seriously wonderful talent,” said Waqar. “The only thing that worries me is that we are putting him under a lot of pressure. We should allow him to go out there and just play cricket and enjoy it.

“Expectations are going to be high as he’s due to play a big series. Everyone’s eyes will be on him at Lord’s and instead of labelling him as a superstar and saying he will do this and that, we should sit back and allow him to get back into the Test match groove without too much pressure,” he added.

“He has the talent. He’s a gifted cricketer who is enthusiastic and energetic but let him perform. I think once he’s back playing Test cricket and in rhythm he will trouble batsmen all around the world,” said a hopeful Waqar.

Waqar Younis was interviewed by PakPassion.
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/1137769/...e-swing-skill/

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Younis to Arthur: Be patient and be honest

Cape Town - Former Pakistan coach, Waqar Younis, has given new coach Mickey Arthur some advice ahead of the South African's first tour at the helm for Pakistan.

Younis has served as Pakistan coach twice in the past, and also believes Pakistan Cricket would benefit from taking advice from former players.

The former quick was asked what advice he would give to Arthur in a recent interview with pakpassion.net, and said: "Be patient and be honest. I think that will be the key for him.

"I've heard he's a disciplinarian and I think that will work for him. He's an experienced coach and he's coached around the world and that will be beneficial.

"I think the Pakistan team will blossom under Mickey Arthur. Things are moving forward, Mudassar Nazar is there now and he will do a good job with the academies and we have to be patient.

"Everyone has to give Mickey some time and not expect too much, too soon.

When asked if ex-players would be better suited to board positions than bureaucrats, Younis responded: "It has been a problem for a number of years, it's definitely an issue.

"The people running Pakistan cricket should be former cricketers. If not the Chairman, then the key decision-makers advising the Chairman should be former cricketers.

"I've stated this fact in my recommendation reports to the Pakistan Cricket Board. You need a cricket committee who make the cricketing decisions.

"What's happening is that all of the decisions are coming from the Board of Governors and there are no cricketers amongst them.

"The wrong people are making the important cricket decisions.

"We need to give responsibility to those who have played cricket for Pakistan at the top level, such as Wasim Akram, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq and Ramiz Raja, all of who know and understand how cricket is changing and what is required in domestic cricket.

"It's great that Mudassar Nazar is back working for the PCB and I had been suggesting that Mudassar should be brought back for a long time. Wasim Akram needs to be utilised more by the Board for suggestions and ideas and to help Pakistan cricket move forward."
    http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/you...onest-20160708

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Pakistan has all the potential to beat England: Waqar Younis

ISLAMABAD: Former head coach Waqar Younis believes Pakistan team has all the potential to beat England at their home saying the green-shirts just have to play at their best.

Waqar said this tour is very important for Pakistan and our team has the capability to beat England. Speaking about England’s leading Test wicket-taker James Anderson out of the test due to injury, he said it does not matter who England plays or not, the only thing which matters in this series is that we have to play at our best.

“English team is very good at the moment as they thumped Sri Lanka in the series,” he said while talking to a private news channel.

He said our openers are struggling at the moment and we have to pay special attention to it. “Though Muhammad Hafeez is looking lost in the English conditions but still we should open with him,” he said.

He said Hafeez has struggled outside Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). “England and Australia series are very important for Hafeez’s career.”

“He should know that he is not a youngster anymore and if he doesn’t perform then he won’t get many chances,” he said. Waqar said if Hafeez doesn’t go well as an opener in this series then we should try Sami Aslam.”

He said Pakistan will be facing many challenges in this series when it comes to British media, the pitches and the conditions there. “Fingers will also be raised on Mohammad Amir but our focus should be on winning the series,” he said.

He said our cricketers got plentiful of time prior to the series to practice well. “Now if they (players) fail they cannot complain that they did not get enough time to prepare themselves for the series,” he said.

Waqar said Amir is a very good bowler and can do well in any pitch. “Wahab Riaz, Imran Khan, Sohail Khan and Rahat Ali are good bowlers and can do well in the series depends on the conditions of pitches they are played on,” he said.

It may be mentioned that Waqar faced great criticism after Pakistan was unable to make it to the semi-finals of the World Twenty20 2016. After winning against Bangladesh in the World T20, the team lost against New Zealand, India and Australia, leading to their outing.

On April 4, Waqar resigned as head coach of the team, just after Shahid Afridi resigned as T20 captain.
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/13...d-Waqar-Younis

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One question I would have liked you to ask Waqar is why did he want Azhar Ali as the odi captain

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Venue
    Planet Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think Waqar got a bit of a rough deal as coach from some.

He had some good ideas and suggestions but they all seemed to be accepted too late by PCB.

Sadly the PCB brought in some individuals like Haroon Rasheed in key roles who made Waqar's job even harder.
    Waqar was way too stubborn as a coach, someone who refused to accept his mistakes. His handling of Sarfaraz was shocking.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Kuwait
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt it the art would die soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    white privilege. But ultimatley the truth is simply the truth. And the fact is nobody can still do it like wiqi and waz used to. all the new age pretenders think they can do it like they did but the truth is I havent seen anyone like waqar in his prime!!

coming onto the patience part of his interview. He is right and this applies to the fans too who also idiotic and impatient too...just look at this forum at times? it goes from wrist slitting to euphoria in an over!!

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was priviliged to see wasim and waqar at their prime 92 & 96 series.
    The greatest fast bowlers of all time.
    Never seen they like before and never likely to see their like again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    What is sadder in my view is the fact that we really have no successors to their brilliance! Mohammad Amir could be that but nothing else on the horizon.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to reverse swing the ball that too when ball is only around 30 odd overs old and also all in sudden right after drinks break without tampering with the ball. It's just my opinion.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Ok that is hilarious

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be surprised if they really are chortling away to themselves.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Begs the question: Amateur because they don't know how to reverse a fair ball, or amateur because they got caught modifying a ball?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Begs the question: Amateur because they don't know how to reverse a fair ball, or amateur because they got caught modifying a ball?
    If you think of the incident itself, it's obvious what this is implying.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Don't say Waqar did not warn us about Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal

PakPassion.net : Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad find themselves at a crucial point in their cricketing careers. What advice do you offer them?

Waqar Younis : I sat with them many times and told them what I wanted from them. I sat with them ahead of the 2015 World Cup and told them what I and the team expected and needed, and what the nation wanted from them. I worked hard on them but unfortunately the passion is not there. The cricketing passion is missing from them. They need to realise that cricket isn't just about making money, cricket is not a business and it's about passion. Sometimes I got the impression that these youngsters don't offer enough. They are thinking about too many other things and not about cricket. Look at the era when I played cricket, with the likes of Inzamam-ul-Haq and Wasim Akram, these guys thought about nothing other than cricket. This is an area where I feel these youngsters are lacking. Umar and Ahmed need to pull their socks up if they want to get back into the team. Talent will only take you to a certain level, after that it's hard work that will carry you forward. We have seen enough of their talent and if they are not prepared to work hard then we may not see them again in the Pakistan team.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Waqar is being over dramatic. Inzamam certainly did not focus on his cricket as much as he should have while Wasim was the first one to switch off after the days play

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Words of wisdom.

Sadly both Umar and Ahmed have failed to deliver. Above all, they have let themselves down throughout their career.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Waqar is being over dramatic. Inzamam certainly did not focus on his cricket as much as he should have while Wasim was the first one to switch off after the days play
    Focus? elaborate, and please do not come up with "He could have achieved more than he had", we are talking about Inzi, not Umar Akmal.

What did you wish Wasim had done after the days play? clean up the pitch with a broom? All players do the same.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slipcatch View Post
    Focus? elaborate, and please do not come up with "He could have achieved more than he had", we are talking about Inzi, not Umar Akmal.

What did you wish Wasim had done after the days play? clean up the pitch with a broom? All players do the same.
    Lol Everyone knows that Inzi was very lethargic towards his cricket, did not take the game that seriously and only achieved everything he had on pure natural talent. Even IK to this day states Inzi was an under achiever with respect to the talent he had.

And what I am trying to prove about Wasim is that he was not all Cricket and nothing else like Waqar is talking about.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol Everyone knows that Inzi was very lethargic towards his cricket, did not take the game that seriously and only achieved everything he had on pure natural talent. Even IK to this day states Inzi was an under achiever with respect to the talent he had.

And what I am trying to prove about Wasim is that he was not all Cricket and nothing else like Waqar is talking about.
    Inzamam was lethargic with his fitness not his practice or preparation You don’t score 20k intl runs and the World Cup on talent alone

Inzamam was very serious about batting and anyone saying anything else is talking nonsense
    Last edited by Zaz; 21st June 2018 at 02:03.

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Inzamam was lethargic with his fitness not his practice or preparation You don’t score 20k intl runs and the World Cup on talent alone

Inzamam was very serious about batting and anyone saying anything else is talking nonsense
    Lol Inzamam can. That is the talent the man possessed. And lol Bob Woolmer would single handedly run practice drills where the rest of the team participated while Inzi would just sit around, lie down, eat bananas.

Inzi was not really ambitious about his cricket otherwise he would have achieved so much more.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Pakistan’s inability to “prepare” the old ball for reverse swing was disappointing

Yes , the Pakistani batsmen were terrible , yes Yasir is no Warne but really we missed the crucial factor in our victories over England , REVERSE SWING, which even the English bowlers exploited in the second innings.

Don't know who the designated ball shiner is in the team but if the bowlers had gotten it to reverse just a little England would not have gone past 200.

This is where the inexperience showed and Azhar's lack of leadership does not help matters .

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of spit use means it will take some time for us to learn to get consistent reverse in post covid days

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Ian Pont England didnt even reverse swing once.

Also the Sky commentators kept repeating that reverse swing isn't common @ Old Trafford because of the wet conditions and moisture in the ground.

Reverse swing is more common @ London where the wickets are drier. There is a reason we have always done well in London.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Reverse or not to Reverse

What once was an art limited to the Pakistani bowling attack seems to be used and exploited by all teams apart from Pakistan.

The moisture in the outfield in the first 2 tests certainly inhibited reverse swing however, 94 overs into the innings of the 3rd test and we have not seen any inkling of reverse swing.

Is it just me or does it frustrate you when you see everyone palming the dry side of ball with their sweaty hands. It’s no wonder they can’t reverse swing the ball!

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wind was blowing quite heavily yesterday. It obviouely hampered the ability to swing it in the reverse direction

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Interesting how English comms talking about reverse swing as if they invented it; What is sadder is that we cant do that any more!

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Wind was blowing quite heavily yesterday. It obviouely hampered the ability to swing it in the reverse direction
    A massive factor

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)