Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"I still have the skills, determination and the willpower to play for Pakistan again": Mohammad Asif

Considered to be a magician with the ball and hailed as Pakistan's version of Glenn McGrath, Mohammad Asif's metronomic accuracy was a sight to behold until his five year ban in August 2010. He made his international debut in 2005 and by the time the events of the summer of 2010 had transpired, he had a total of one-hundred and sixty-five international scalps to his name in seventy-two games. His role in some of Pakistan's most memorable victories such as the epic performance against Sri Lanka in 2006 where he took 11/71 seemed to put him on track for future greatness but sadly it was not to be.

With the recent expiry of his ban, Mohammad Asif at the age of thirty-three is now looking to redeem his reputation and career by playing domestic cricket in Pakistan and has also been included in the player draft for the 2017 edition of the Pakistan Super League. In an interview with PakPassion.net, Asif spoke about his feelings regarding the spot-fixing ban, views on Mohammad Amir's bowling since his return and why he feels he still has the ability to be successful at the international level once again.

PakPassion.net : Several years of your cricket career wiped out with only yourself to blame. How do you feel about that now?

Mohammad Asif : There is a lot of regret and pain. What's happened cannot be changed now but there is still a lot of hurt. However if I keep thinking about the past then that won't help matters; I have to look ahead and to the future. I believe that I have three or four years of playing cricket at the highest level left in me and I want to focus on doing very well in the coming months and years, rather than just thinking about what happened in the past.

PakPassion.net : Has your comeback to cricket since your ban been tougher than you thought it would be?

Mohammad Asif : No I don't think it has been and I was ready for this battle. I knew it would be difficult and not easy and I would need to work doubly hard to make my comeback a successful one. The key for me is to perform well in domestic cricket and then catch the eye of the international selectors. There is a formal process to it and there was no way I could assume that I would just walk back into the Pakistan team.

PakPassion.net : How do you feel your comeback to cricket is going so far and your thoughts on how well you are bowling?

Mohammad Asif : If I'm being honest it's not been extraordinary but there again it has not been a total disaster either. My bowing has been economical rather than spectacular and steady without lots of wickets. Four-day cricket was always my strength and to date since my comeback I've not really played much of that and I feel that in four-day cricket this season will be the time when I show everyone that I am back. Day by day I'm feeling fitter and stronger and those are good signs for me.

PakPassion.net : What has been the toughest part of making a comeback after such a lengthy ban?

Mohammad Asif : Regaining the fitness levels required to play at international cricket has been the hardest part. When you haven't played cricket for as long as I didn't then it takes time for your body to adjust to the rigors and demands of top level cricket. However I don't think it's a big problem for me and I feel that I am close to returning to my levels of fitness of the past.

PakPassion.net : You played club cricket in Norway which surprised many. What were your aims of playing at that level of cricket?

Mohammad Asif : Yes I played in Norway and I also played some domestic cricket in Afghanistan. I was happy with my performances in both competitions and thought I bowled well in these tournaments. I also played a few matches in Grade 2 cricket for Sialkot where I was appointed captain. At the end of the day, it's all about getting as much cricket under my belt as possible and regaining my rhythm which is absolutely key for a bowler. Given how much cricket I missed during my ban, I don't think I am in a position to pick and choose which cricket competitions I play in.

PakPassion.net : You recently played in an exhibition match also in Norway where the likes of Misbah-ul-Haq took part. What were the players like towards you given what happened in 2010?

Mohammad Asif : It was a friendly match, a fun match played in good spirits. Misbah and all of the other players were fine with me. They were all friendly and there were no issues. Also I have met some of the players at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore previously and nobody had any issues seeing me which was a relief and a confidence booster.

PakPassion.net : What was the standard of cricket like in Afghanistan, they seem to be a fast-improving cricket nation don't they?

Mohammad Asif : I was very impressed with the standard of cricket in Afghanistan, especially the talent in their young cricketers. Only recently they beat Bangladesh in a One-Day international and I feel they will only get better with experience. Also while I was in Afghanistan, the Afghanistan Cricket Board offered me a coaching consultant role at their National Academy working with their young bowlers. However I had to turn it down as I currently do not have the time to do the role justice, due to the amount of cricket I have coming up. But if the offer comes up in the future then it's definitely something I will look at as coaching is an area that I would like to explore in future.

PakPassion.net : What are your thoughts on Mohammad Amir's bowling since his comeback?

Mohammad Asif : Overall I think he has bowled well. In England he bowled particularly well and was unlucky not to end up with better statistics due to the age old problem in Pakistan cricket of fielders dropping far too many catches. Dropped catches can drag any bowler down but credit to him as he kept on going and kept on running in hard. He's done well and I think he will get better and has his best cricketing years ahead of him.

PakPassion.net : Salman Butt is knocking on the door of international selection once again. Do you think he deserves another chance to play for Pakistan?

Mohammad Asif : I believe that any cricketer who is performing in domestic cricket deserves a chance to be selected. So I don't see any reason why Butt should not be picked for Pakistan if he is performing at the domestic level. The four-day season has just started and this is a format that suits his style of batting and like anyone else if he performs then he should be picked for international cricket.

PakPassion.net : With the Pakistan Super League now firmly established in the cricketing calendar, is this a tournament that you would like to take part in?

Mohammad Asif : Yes definitely. It's a tournament that has been a great innovation in Pakistan cricket and I would most certainly like to be a part of it. The Pakistan Super League is a big thing to happen for Pakistan cricket and everyone wants to be a part of it including me. I'd like the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful tournament competition.

PakPassion.net : You are thirty-three years of age and many believe that your best bowling years are behind you. Do you genuinely still believe that you can play for Pakistan again in future?

Mohammad Asif : My hopes are still there. If I didn't believe that I can play for Pakistan in future then I wouldn't have come back into cricket. You don't lose the skills that you possessed as a bowler. What I need to focus on is playing four-day cricket and regaining my fitness levels. I have to perform in domestic cricket which is the most important thing. I can talk about my aims and hopes but the bottom line is that I have to ensure that the wickets column makes good reading for me. If I perform then the selectors will take note, if I don't perform then they will not be interested and that is how it should be. I don't think the selectors have any issues with selecting me but I have to perform in domestic cricket.

PakPassion.net : How close do you think you can be in future to the bowler you once were; someone who could make any batsman in the world look mediocre?

Mohammad Asif : Some say I am past my best, whilst others reckon I still have it in me to be at the top of my game once again. What I feel is what matters and I feel that I still have the skills, the determination and the willpower to play for Pakistan again. I don't think you lose those skills you have as a bowler, especially the type of bowler I am who relied more on out-thinking the batsmen rather than on sheer pace. As I said, the key is matches under my belt, improving my fitness and getting numbers regularly in the wickets column. It's not easy to make a comeback after so long, but I feel that if you are mentally strong enough then anything is possible. Also I know they are batsmen, but look at the likes of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan and their ages, and they are still playing for Pakistan. However it has to be one thing at a time and then we will see if the international comeback happens.

PakPassion.net : There are people out there who say that you, Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir should never be allowed to play international cricket again. What do you say to those individuals?

Mohammad Asif : Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I cannot stop people from voicing their opinions. I think now that Mohammad Amir is back playing cricket and accepted by the majority, I don't think there will be any issues if Salman Butt or I do play for Pakistan again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Really nice of him to praise Mohammad Amir

Seems very much driven to make a comeback but maybe a great PSL could do that for him?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Really nice of him to praise Mohammad Amir

Seems very much driven to make a comeback but maybe a great PSL could do that for him?
    Do you have any information regarding why Asif hasn't yet featured in the ongoing 4 day domestic competition? Is he injured, or just benched? Or is he even in the squad of any team? Was really looking forward to see how he performed in the 4 day competition.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want him back for the Australian tour

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Pyongyang
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Want him back for the Australian tour
    Only way for him to break into the team is via PSL

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    What a bowler this guy was.

At his best, one of my all time favourite bowlers.

He could make the ball talk and make any batsman look a fool.

Such a shame how his career progressed.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Had the potential to be the greatest ever Pakistani seamer but unfortunately it seems inevitable now that he will be remembered more for his misdemeanours than his unfulfilled cricketing greatness.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The PCB just isn't interested in him I am afraid.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    For those asking as to why Asif has not been playing in the QEA Trophy, it's due to a minor injury. The ball hit him on the foot and also he's had a tight hamstring. He told me that he expects to be fit for the next round of QEA Trophy matches.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He will need to perform at a high level in QeA and (or) PSL to come into contention. There are probably quite a few pacers ahead of him in the pecking order right now in terms of being close to selection.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    QEA matches are where he should do well if he still has it.

If he works hard and performs, he could still get 2-3 years out of his body due to the 6-year break he has got in between.

We still need a right arm pacer alongside Amir in tests.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He hasn't gotten the same treatment from PCB that Amir and Butt got and it's unfortunate.

Was a extreme pacer in his days and I believe Amir also learnt a lot from Asif as his mentor.

Would be a lovely sight to see him in Pakistani colors once again but for that he has to perform in domestic cricket and improve his fitness for Test cricket.

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin Pietersen always states that Asif is the toughest bowler he has ever faced in his career. Enough said.

I assume he is going to turn up for WAPDA. Looking forward to following his performance.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he gets picked in the PSL and does well there.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I do want him back in Tests and T20's for Pakistan, he's such a quality bowler who can pick up wickets with the new ball.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    The sad thing is that Mohammad Asif is pretty much the ideal bowler for the Pink Ball Test at the Gabba in 9 weeks, but it looks like his injury has knocked him out of contention.

The ideal pink ball bowler seems to be tall and accurate and to bowl a full length and nibble the ball a little bit either way in the air and off the seam. Outright pace doesn't help and reverse swing doesn't even enter the equation.

That's why Josh Hazelwood was so good last year, even bowling 130-135K. And why Sohail Khan doesn't really fit the bill.

Pakistan really need to take Asif to Australia even if it is only as a net bowler to mimic the height and pace and angle of Hazelwood.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is one of the best bowlers we have ever had. I just wish he gets selected for the AUS and NZ tours. He has been treated pretty poorly by the PCB so far. He should have been brought back along side Amir. Hope the common sense prevails and they give him a chance.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a chance to prove himself in the current FC season, sometimes I think all the three should have been treated equally, all of them should have been considered, provided they had performed well in one complete domestic season.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he should get chance just play also a bit to get rhythm fc qea
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    He hasn't gotten the same treatment from PCB that Amir and Butt got and it's unfortunate.

Was a extreme pacer in his days and I believe Amir also learnt a lot from Asif as his mentor.

Would be a lovely sight to see him in Pakistani colors once again but for that he has to perform in domestic cricket and improve his fitness for Test cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Way

He should not be allowed to represent Pakistan again. The person who does not admit his guilt should have no future in the team.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can he get a visa for the UAE in order to play in matches there? He should do a trial run as a tourist to see if they let him in. If not he's facing an even tougher battle to get back his Pakistan place. And he won't be able to play PSL either.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Can he get a visa for the UAE in order to play in matches there? He should do a trial run as a tourist to see if they let him in. If not he's facing an even tougher battle to get back his Pakistan place. And he won't be able to play PSL either.
    Yes - this was confirmed a couple of years ago.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    According to Asif yes he can.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is next rounds match for wapda?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDwarriors View Post
    When is next rounds match for wapda?
    Saturday, and it's a day-night game.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    The sad thing is that Mohammad Asif is pretty much the ideal bowler for the Pink Ball Test at the Gabba in 9 weeks, but it looks like his injury has knocked him out of contention.

The ideal pink ball bowler seems to be tall and accurate and to bowl a full length and nibble the ball a little bit either way in the air and off the seam. Outright pace doesn't help and reverse swing doesn't even enter the equation.

That's why Josh Hazelwood was so good last year, even bowling 130-135K. And why Sohail Khan doesn't really fit the bill.

Pakistan really need to take Asif to Australia even if it is only as a net bowler to mimic the height and pace and angle of Hazelwood.
    Ehsan adil is perfect for the pink ball test 6'5 135k moves the ball just enough.

"The hypocrite seeks for faults, the believer seeks for excuses"-Imam al Ghazali (ra)

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i want him back in the Pakistani side. Bowler of his caliber shouldn't find it tough to get back his rhythm. But problem is will Pakistani selectors allow him in the team if he perform well? @ Saj @Saj

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Asif has been superb in his current match:

29-11-70-4

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    13 overs 6 maidens 2-19 in 2nd innings.

Outbowled Waqas Maqsood & Junaid Khan.

Coming back to his best MashaAllah.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it with Butt making it in all the tourneys and Asif gets discarded or not selected?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Impressive match figures of:

29-11-70-4.

Not a bad start to the QEA Trophy for him

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    What is it with Butt making it in all the tourneys and Asif gets discarded or not selected?
    Connections.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post

He was Injured.

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Impressive match figures of:

29-11-70-4.

Not a bad start to the QEA Trophy for him
    Saj, do you think Asif should be treated the same way as Amir is being treated ?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mz123 View Post
    Saj, do you think Asif should be treated the same way as Amir is being treated ?
    You know what?

One of them bowled two no balls. Amir.

One of them took a bribe to do it. Amir.

One of them had several months of phone and SMS traffic to fixers. Amir.

Asif did lots of bad things before 2010 - yet still was the golden boy.

But the evidence shows that he wasn't even paid for the no ball.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mz123 View Post
    All 3 should be treated the same in my opinion. Same offence.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asif has been superb in his current match:

29-11-70-4
    Exciting

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_47 View Post
    He should not be allowed to represent Pakistan again. The person who does not admit his guilt should have no future in the team.
    His skipper leaned on him to bowl a no ball.

He took no money for it.

Mitigating circumstances if there ever were ones.

They were not all equally guilty.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like Sadaf otherwise.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by putF%8id View Post
    Connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    He was Injured.
    Don't think PCB want him to play much anywhere.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not keen on seeing him back in the team , I hope guys like Mohammad Abbas and Sadaf hussain are rewarded for their top class performances in the recent years.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just whats ever he have left at least three years get him out there specially test match one day can be tried t 20 a may nbe a chance and seaming news land austraila england even in dubai

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    2-18 in the 2nd innings uptil now.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    still feel out of all of them there was the least amount of evidence against him. I wouldnt mind seeing him back in test matches.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Always loved watching his bowling.

He was an artist and it seems like some of those natural skills haven't been lost.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a bigger loss than Aamir... its a shame he went the way he did....

dont think he has got what it takes and basically he wont be selected again...

and one of the main reason is his ban from entering in UAE due to him caught with drugs on him in the airport..

no point picking him up if he cannont play home games ... also thts y he wasnt picked in PSL mayb

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Peshawar All Out on 129 in 2nd Innings.

Asif 4-33.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstructing_the_field View Post
    a bigger loss than Aamir... its a shame he went the way he did....

dont think he has got what it takes and basically he wont be selected again...

and one of the main reason is his ban from entering in UAE due to him caught with drugs on him in the airport..

no point picking him up if he cannont play home games ... also thts y he wasnt picked in PSL mayb
    He is not barred from the UAE: this has been debunked before.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you sure? i am quiet sure that i read somewhere that this is the case, but if u can confirm its not, then thats a good thing for us then

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstructing_the_field View Post
    are you sure? i am quiet sure that i read somewhere that this is the case, but if u can confirm its not, then thats a good thing for us then
    Confirmation that Mohammad Asif is free to play in and transit the UAE....

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/A.../13/13451.html

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmation that Mohammad Asif is free to play in and transit the UAE....

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/A.../13/13451.html
    thanks for tht

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Asif is getting back to himself BRING HIM BACK!!

I think pakistan needs mohammad asif especially in NZ. If he still getting swing and bowling close to 80mph I think they should pick him for autralia and NZ. Fact is that we dont have a third pacer. with Amir, Wahab we def need Mohammad Asif.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaid9470 View Post
    I think pakistan needs mohammad asif especially in NZ. If he still getting swing and bowling close to 80mph I think they should pick him for autralia and NZ. Fact is that we dont have a third pacer. with Amir, Wahab we def need Mohammad Asif.
    If he's making the ball talk and bowling at a decent speed (80MPH) then he should be considered.

However it will not be an easy path back and just like Amir there will obviously be some reservations in the team to bring him back, maybe more so considering his past misdemeanours.

I just hope he is seriously reformed because Pakistan can't afford any more controversies on or off the field.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wud b a good addition to the Test squad, bt currently the competition z tuff. I hope he continues to impress n domestic cricket, we miss a pure seam bowler.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he playing for any team in psl?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mian View Post
    Is he playing for any team in psl?
    No.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He still looks the goods to me. I would definatly pick him for NZ. Medium line and length bowlers dominate in NZ, could be the only Pakistani bowler who could trouble Williamsom.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our pace attack doesn't look very good atm. Even Amir has struggled since his return and needs support from the other end. Wahab is inconsistent as has been the case since the last few years. As far as the backup bowlers are concerned, none of them seem to have either the speed or the skills required to succeed in tests. I think it's the ideal situation for Asif to stake a claim and make a comeback to the national team. We haven't been able to find someone who can replace him. He is still good enough to play for 2-3 more years.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goran View Post
    Our pace attack doesn't look very good atm. Even Amir has struggled since his return and needs support from the other end. Wahab is inconsistent as has been the case since the last few years. As far as the backup bowlers are concerned, none of them seem to have either the speed or the skills required to succeed in tests. I think it's the ideal situation for Asif to stake a claim and make a comeback to the national team. We haven't been able to find someone who can replace him. He is still good enough to play for 2-3 more years.
    I agree that he is your best right-armer, but in my opinion he is an eight Test stopgap for the upcoming tours to NZ, Australia and West Indies.

It's an insult to the intelligence to pick Sohail Khan or Imran Khan instead.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that he is your best right-armer, but in my opinion he is an eight Test stopgap for the upcoming tours to NZ, Australia and West Indies.

It's an insult to the intelligence to pick Sohail Khan or Imran Khan instead.
    I just hope the selectors realize that this is probably our best chance to beat both AUS & NZ if we pick the right combination. Our batting looks solid, if we can field a good pace attack, who knows. But Asif is really crucial to make our bowling play a decisive role. Asif, Amir & Yasir will be a very good combination, I wish common sense prevails and he gets selected.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he deserves to play one chance in news land - australia

Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    still feel out of all of them there was the least amount of evidence against him. I wouldnt mind seeing him back in test matches.
    just play him

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for selection of asif.. more than pak winning..my love for cricket says he should be in pak team.. he is treat to watch

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Asif wanted these pics added here - he's been blessed with a newborn baby daughter. Her name is Parizay.

Name:  30b29775-b833-4930-8b3a-aa3f2dd48912.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  d46ea92b-0d6b-4567-b453-475c23d7af2c.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  abdb0652-f33d-46ae-a520-2858b23295f2.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  269.5 KB

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Spoke with Asif earlier on a couple of things.

He spoke about that superb inswinger in the recent QEA Trophy match and was satisfied with it. He said the inswinger was the second ball, the first ball was an outswinger and the batsman wasn't expecting the next one to be a perfect inswinger.

He said that with each match is fitness etc is getting better.

He will miss the next QEA Trophy match after the birth of his daughter.
    Last edited by Saj; 28th October 2016 at 01:22.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mind says no but heart says yes.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4724 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Mohammad Asif wanted these pics added here - he's been blessed with a newborn baby daughter. Her name is Parizay.

Beautiful pictures, may Asif and his family remain blessed. Hoping he makes a return to the team soon, hopefully the selectors will pay attention to him he just got to keep the good performances up

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seam bowling at its best. The most skillful seam bowler since Pollock and McGrath. Look at the batsman during the second wicket. Has no clue how that ball ended up hitting his off pole.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The seam was precise , the length was just right to confuse batsman .

What a loss for cricket

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 4th wicket has to be the funniest wicket of all time.

The batsman tried to duck and pull a bouncer at the same Time

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dare I say, even McGrath wasn't able to seam it like that, ever.

Asif was well on his way to surpass McGrath, at least as a Test bowler. Was more skillful than Amir. Such a waste.

Hopefully, Inzi grows some spine and selects him for NZ/Aus.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Inzi wake up, instead of saying "if Ajmal keeps performing I will select him trololol" why don't you have a look at Asif instead if you're so keen on bringing in mid 30s bowlers. May not have a clean past but definitely has a clean action #IDoneIt

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Kamran Akmal hit a big hundred, so probably NOT actually a spicy wicket!
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 28th October 2016 at 04:27.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Spoke with Asif earlier on a couple of things.

He spoke about that superb inswinger in the recent QEA Trophy match and was satisfied with it. He said the inswinger was the second ball, the first ball was an outswinger and the batsman wasn't expecting the next one to be a perfect inswinger.

He said that with each match is fitness etc is getting better.

He will miss the next QEA Trophy match after the birth of his daughter.
    Things that will be thought about the above:

- he has the reputation to be a fishy character
    - maybe he just cannot handle the toils of playing 3 first class matches in a row at his age
    - playing against UBL will be a lot tougher (reasonable batting lineup) compared to the team he demolished in Peshawar
    - "birth of a daughter" -- sentimentally I agree. But for the NZ / Aus tour, time has been ticking already. And as Sheharyar Khan said in a recent interview: "Butt and Asif would have to FORCE (or break the door-- so something analogous) the hands of selectors through performance in domestic"

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may replace Rahat Ali. What y think/

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Realistically wont be going to Aus. maybe next year.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post

Not just Seam but the ability to seam and swing the ball simultaneously or only swing/ only seam to bamboozle the batsman. A++ bowling intelligence.

Most Exciting Fast Bowler to watch besides Shoaib at Peak despite being initially fast medium and than medium fast aswell as medium ocassionally. A rare bowler who even with dip in speeds ruled.

Watch the delivery which took the legstump of Peshawar batsman.

He can give us the dream start of the series with a Gabba Test win.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Asif Bhaee Allah Mubarik keray, barkat ka sabab bnaey, khusheeaan kamyaabeeaan laaey.

A wish and a prayer to see Amir & Asif sharing new ball in white for the Star once again.

Keep Striving. Try to get a Tenfer in your next match. Couple more headlines needed to push the door.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He must promise (internally) that he will be on his best behavior if he gets another chance and will redeem all his prior sins by helping Pak win or at least draw both the upcoming series!

Only if he is willing to try his level best once in, will he get another chance...he needs to show everyone that he can be relied upon by the team and that he is a changed man especially after having two daughters.

Shoaib was pretty much the same character and he got away with murder most of his career, Asif's biggest sin to me was getting invoolved with Butt...rest of his sins were of the minor variety; also not confessing up to his part till the very end
    Last edited by Monsee; 29th October 2016 at 03:44.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Realistically wont be going to Aus. maybe next year.
    Firstly, this year is the last time he will be young enough.

Secondly, this season has pitches in the five Tests in Australia and NZ which will suit him.

Thirdly, these five Tests are the last ones for 18 months where the team would benefit from his skill set.