Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    711 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Nasir Jamshed’s role was dirty, says Najam Sethi

Reacting to former cricketers criticising the Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistan Super League for acting against Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif without sufficient evidence in the latest spot-fixing scandal, Najam Sethi hit back on Thursday (February 16) by calling these commentators “irresponsible”.

“We are not stupid to jolt our big tournament without any solid evidence,” said Sethi, the PSL chairman, on a TV programme. “We had definite information before the PSL and those were not only with us but also with the International Cricket Council and when we compared those we decided to take action.

“Some of the responsible people are saying irresponsible things and have personal agendas. They are saying that we took hasty action without any evidence but I tell you that’s incorrect.”

Sethi reiterated the PSL’s commitment to taking exemplary action against the offenders, including Nasir Jamshed, who Sharjeel and Khalid allegedly named as a go-between for them and an international betting syndicate.

“We will take strict action. If Sharjeel and Latif take some more names we will take action against them also, no matter who they are, no matter how big they are,” thundered Sethi. “We did our own inquiry and corroborated with others as well. We knew what was the actual plan, who is going to do what and we have telephone dates and WhatsApp messages exchanged.

“We infiltrated in some Pakistani bookies, who were ready to influence the players, so we had our information and we knew some of the players from outside the PSL will also get involved and that’s why we traced Nasir Jamshed and suspended him. Jamshed’s role is dirty in this.”

Sethi said other players participating in the PSL had been invited to share any information they might have. “It could have become very dangerous had we not nipped that in the bud. Some players came forward and told us about the offers so we did a calculated effort to flush out the evil,” he added.

Shahzaib Hasan of Karachi Kings and Zulfiqar Babar of Quetta Gladiators reportedly came clean about approaches and were cleared after investigation. Mohammad Irfan was also questioned but later given the all-clear.

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-n...s-sethi/241663

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask him if he knows someone by the name of Nawaz Sharif and can he advise why he is on best buddies terms with that corrupt chorr? Sethi is reportedly as dirty as any and some are even saying he will be the next one out the door as well!

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    “We infiltrated in some Pakistani bookies, who were ready to influence the players, so we had our information and we knew some of the players from outside the PSL will also get involved and that’s why we traced Nasir Jamshed and suspended him. Jamshed’s role is dirty in this.”

I thought the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit informed the PCB, who then followed up by allowing a fix to take place in order to catch the culprits red handed? Sethi making up stories again.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even if he is right that they had to do this to both prevent it proliferating and because the icc had the info too, and even if he is right that the ex cricketers commentating are as usual crap, that doesn't mean like a petulant trump he should come out to the press every day having a tantrum.

these people have absolutely no idea about what professionalism is.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    three centuries, a glorious cover driven six in a t-20 world cup game against new zealand, a parody twitter account that is probably the best thing in pakistani social media, and getting caught twice (once for cheating in qbvexam, and once for fixing in cricket)

such a tragic legacy from a player who i thought would genuinely play for at least 10 years for pakistan and break saeed anwar's record for the most centuries for us.

the tragicomical homerian proportion what ifs of our cricket.

sawaal ye ni k ap ko kyun nikaala, sawaal ye k ap aaye kaisay.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just cannot believe Sethi.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why has not a single fact about this incident been leaked yet? Not like the PCB to keep their cards so close to their chest unless there's either something to hide or a lot yet to be figured out. With every passing day i am less convinced by this fixing circus.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamshed's role was dirty. That's understandable but exactly what was his role? How come out of nowhere Sharjeel and Nasir decided to fix and what exactly was the whole scenario? If you are not going to give a proper explanation on your account then why even bother talking?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Did they meet the bookie in a restaurant or something?

If they did and it was a fancy one, then it will most likely have cameras and you can tell so much from the footage.

Did they shake the hand of the bookie at the end (meaning they were ready to fix)?

How long before the left the scene?

They should try their best to find the place (if they met f2f) and check for any footage available.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    Did they meet the bookie in a restaurant or something?

If they did and it was a fancy one, then it will most likely have cameras and you can tell so much from the footage.

Did they shake the hand of the bookie at the end (meaning they were ready to fix)?

How long before the left the scene?

They should try their best to find the place (if they met f2f) and check for any footage available.
    They met in the hotel lobby where team was staying

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamzakhalid View Post
    They met in the hotel lobby where team was staying
    So, surely there must be cameras around?

Get the footage and observe their body language.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How dumb are the culprits? They seriously used WhatsApp to do this? No wonder they commit such idiotic crimes.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by world cup captain View Post
    How dumb are the culprits? They seriously used WhatsApp to do this? No wonder they commit such idiotic crimes.
    Can't really think but it's ridiculous to say the least...They could have even deleted the WhatsApp records since PCB gave them (All the players) a session as per Sethi to avoid any contact with such such person just before.

Whole situation is really unclear. Can't really make up how Sethi and Shehryar can give such statements, On the other hand players claiming innocence and so on.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Jamshed's role was dirty. That's understandable but exactly what was his role? How come out of nowhere Sharjeel and Nasir decided to fix and what exactly was the whole scenario? If you are not going to give a proper explanation on your account then why even bother talking?
    TBH I don't think this happened out of nowhere.

These guys must have been fixing for a while before getting caught. The carelessness of how they did it shows they must have got away with it multiple times doing the same thing.

It's just my opinion but I refuse to believe they got caught on attempt #1.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    TBH I don't think this happened out of nowhere.

These guys must have been fixing for a while before getting caught. The carelessness of how they did it shows they must have got away with it multiple times doing the same thing.

It's just my opinion but I refuse to believe they got caught on attempt #1.
    Yes likely. PCB should disclose it all if they've been found guilty

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    some of his words are forcing me to believe that his only target is to ban them ..not because they made mistake but his own image and whatever he said on media is on the line and he wants to prove himself right .his words are not professional enough.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    some of his words are forcing me to believe that his only target is to ban them ..not because they made mistake but his own image and whatever he said on media is on the line and he wants to prove himself right .his words are not professional enough.
    And there-in lies our quandary

If we dont punish them, then people will call it a cover-up, if we do then above...

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

If we dont punish them, then people will call it a cover-up, if we do then above...
    im not saying they shouldn't of course they deserve to be punished .im just saying now its got worse for both of em because all are attacking sethi for not having evidence so now its like sethi vs fixers.
    so theres no way out for sharjeel
    the last thing you want if u get caught is no support whatsover . which means life ban is inevitable.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. Some people are just never happy..

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time though , the players should not be the only causalities. They need to get the bottom of it and punish the bookies as well.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    As long as the process is transparent, I really don't care who the losers and gainers are from this whole episode.

Also good that this has happened early in the age of PSL - we now have this out of our system and the organizers and teams would have learnt their lessons.

Imagine if this had surfaced 6 years from now....

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixing and corruption will continue in league cricket whichever it is no matter what. One can only hope to reduce it.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    So, surely there must be cameras around?

Get the footage and observe their body language.
    What would be the point of that? They were caught red handed and they've confessed as well.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats why its better to keep your mouth shut, and let the due process take place, rather than brief the media every day on the latest developments.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the process is transparent, I really don't care who the losers and gainers are from this whole episode.

Also good that this has happened early in the age of PSL - we now have this out of our system and the organizers and teams would have learnt their lessons.

Imagine if this had surfaced 6 years from now....
    This scenario has been anything but transparent. Sethi has given unclear and contradictory statements to chairman leaving all to media hype and speculations.

If there was transparency, Do you think media would've speculated this much about the case?

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This scenario has been anything but transparent. Sethi has given unclear and contradictory statements to chairman leaving all to media hype and speculations.

If there was transparency, Do you think media would've speculated this much about the case?
    Yes the media would have hyped and speculated no matter what as that's what the media does. Had Pcb just banned or suspended someone for fixing. The media would have been speculating about how many others were involved not just about what the guys did. That would have hurt PSL more than what PCB came out with and how the media has reacted.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Cricketer View Post
    Yes the media would have hyped and speculated no matter what as that's what the media does. Had Pcb just banned or suspended someone for fixing. The media would have been speculating about how many others were involved not just about what the guys did. That would have hurt PSL more than what PCB came out with and how the media has reacted.
    Speculation related to consequences and progress of this case only and not some other spot fixing. Sharjeel and Khalid Latif are hot topics right now

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like Big Nas played the 'salman butt' role- the enabler.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again information is coming out in bits. Here is my question, these 2 players Shahzaib and Zulfi reported about their approach after PCB questioned Khalid and Sharjeel or before that.?

No way I believe that if Shahzaib reported his approach to PCB and these 2 other players (khalid and sharjeel) still went ahead with their spot fixing. these 3 are the clossest buddies.

If they all approached by same alleged bookie then there is no way Khalid and Sharjeel would have go ahead and did their spot fixing after Shahzaib's report to PCB/ACU.

I think they only suspended Sharjeel and Khalid because they actually met this bookie. And saved the other players.

Another question I have if PCB was informed in advance about certain bookie then why not they shared this information with players. It's like entrapment that you letting the bookies make contact with your players. No doubt eventually someoen will fall for it. Seems like anoter sting operation where you waiting your players to fall for it.

PCB should be protecting their players. I think Najm Sethi is just doing the face saving of his useless PCB's ACU. They did not know jack, once ICC ACU reported them they took the action and grabbed these 2 players.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Players need to present their views to media as well. If Sethi can open his mouth, They can as well.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xbox View Post
    Another question I have if PCB was informed in advance about certain bookie then why not they shared this information with players
    According to PCB, all known bookies names and pics were shared with players before the tournament

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    According to PCB, all known bookies names and pics were shared with players before the tournament
    You have to be really thick to still indulge in the crime after that

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Shahzaib reported after the news broke out of Sharjeel and Khalid.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xbox View Post
    Again information is coming out in bits. Here is my question, these 2 players Shahzaib and Zulfi reported about their approach after PCB questioned Khalid and Sharjeel or before that.?

No way I believe that if Shahzaib reported his approach to PCB and these 2 other players (khalid and sharjeel) still went ahead with their spot fixing. these 3 are the clossest buddies.

If they all approached by same alleged bookie then there is no way Khalid and Sharjeel would have go ahead and did their spot fixing after Shahzaib's report to PCB/ACU.

I think they only suspended Sharjeel and Khalid because they actually met this bookie. And saved the other players.

Another question I have if PCB was informed in advance about certain bookie then why not they shared this information with players. It's like entrapment that you letting the bookies make contact with your players. No doubt eventually someoen will fall for it. Seems like anoter sting operation where you waiting your players to fall for it.

PCB should be protecting their players. I think Najm Sethi is just doing the face saving of his useless PCB's ACU. They did not know jack, once ICC ACU reported them they took the action and grabbed these 2 players.
    Sethi does not have interest of Pakistan cricket in his heart. He is all about himself.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Sethi does not have interest of Pakistan cricket in his heart. He is all about himself.
    So what do you think is gonna be outcome of this?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So what do you think is gonna be outcome of this?
    Sethi will ban these players for life by hook or by crook

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By hook or by crook? Even if not enough evidence? If that is the case they could go into court?
    Last edited by Hamza_; 17th February 2017 at 14:19.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ban the idiot for life.He had promised much early in his career,could have came back and performed,but the fool chose to get some quick cash.

Sharjeel is basically the same.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can Sethi even say these vague remarks legally without an inquiry or tribunal. He seems determined to give a good impresson to the ICC about himself, looks like he wants to become ICC president as well in future

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sethi pleaded the case of amir early return. He think fixing Pakistan match is less severe than PSL

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafay Shafiq View Post
    Sethi pleaded the case of amir early return. He think fixing Pakistan match is less severe than PSL
    Really atrocious stuff.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately people are not able to look beyond their own agenda against Sethi. He has done great work with the PSL and is doing a very good job in dealing with this scandal. Don't make everything into a platform for political point-scoring.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Unfortunately people are not able to look beyond their own agenda against Sethi. He has done great work with the PSL and is doing a very good job in dealing with this scandal. Don't make everything into a platform for political point-scoring.
    It would be only a good effort, If he discloses things properly and not make these breaking time to time statements.

Also he could've kept things under the wrap first, Have proper investigation with evidence and then present the case to the general public and media, Your board chairman making statements contradictory to yours don't help you either.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder what PCB has done to protect their big investments?? - Means shouldn't they work more closely with up coming stars, like Sharjeel, Babar, Hasan Ali... I bet you NBA teams treat their franchise players differently, it's not communism that all players are same, because its very hard to find player like Curry, KD, LJ etc...

Similarly, its very hard for PCB to keep finding new players...Last time they did not pay attention to Amir and Asif, and loose two of their best bowlers in a heart beat, which they are still struggling to replace after 7years...They could have protected that investment better, not by giving them free hand but by making sure they don't screw up...With changing time, first and foremost PCB should focus on protecting their assets, if you have no mechanism to protect your most important asserts, then its really poor management...Time and again PCB is proving that they have no idea how to protect top talent, you just cannot blame player and wake away, its management fault, first and foremost, otherwise close cricket altogether, people are not interested in watching third class talent because top tier is too hard to mange

I am not sure if PCB understand the importance of those things, India has done much better throughout history, SRT was earmarked early and so was Dhoni or Kohli...Where as our legends like Wasim, Waqar and Imran had hard time dealing with PCB, they never realize the importance of main product...Look Kobe and MJ were never treated by not just their team but by league the same way as other players...Again, its the approach and understanding your business, what is important for your business...Not taking care of your main product has result in loss of most important product of Pakistan cricket, fast bowlers and hard hitting batsmen, we are not

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk