Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Sarfaraz Ahmed's behaviour as captain

He's going over the top with his antics.

I'm all for aggression and pushing his team but at times he's become like a schoolteacher with young children.

The language, the body language, the finger pointing - what's all that about. It's too much at times and could backfire with colleagues.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Needs to relax with the emotion s and stuff but other than he's a step up from Azhar and Misbah.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah way too dicatorial it seems.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't see a problem tbh. He's only encouraging them because he backs them to bowl better.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some may not like it but this will elevate his position as a father figure and also bring in good results because players will be scared to do bad. I like this.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't mind it. We have tried the timid behavior of Azhar Ali and that got us absolutely no where. Pakistani players and people only do their job properly when someone has a 'danda' over them at all times.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

'Sarfaraz looks like an upset parent' Ian Bishop

Bishop just said it on commentary. Sarfaraz is being very disrespectful towards all the players, i can see very soon the players would refuse to play under him. It is also becoming very frustrating viewing on TV.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First "India is afraid of us"..

And then on the field running after the bowlers after every delivery.

Looks like he's doing it for the media, and his imaginary "image" as "aggressive captain".

LOOK, all the captains speak to their players on field. Even the most 'aggressive' ones do their work.

But they're NOT disrespectful, act like school kids, and shout after each delivery, with immature antics.

Even getting called out by Ian Bishop / commentators .
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 9th April 2017 at 21:28.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is laying down the gaunlet. It's fine but I would like to see him do the same to certain seniors.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't mind it at all

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure he went ape on Kami a couple days ago and than seen Kami mouthing off.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love it.
    An absolute lionheart out there.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has done similar captaincy in domestics. It is well known in domestics here that Sarfraz keeps in check even the egos like Ahmed Shehzad.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. He's over doing it a bit . . Just needs to stay calm . . last game, he clearly lost the plot . . the West Indian commentators were talking about it too this game.

He'll learn. Still very new.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say all he wants in dressing room , players dont like gettinh insulted in front of a lot of people.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rameez being overcritical. Even criticizing when he is speaking normally.
    Sarfraz doesnt have a "dheema lehja". Nothing wrong in that.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not good for Pakistan in the long run.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone needs to relax.

He will settle down and improve. If anything I'm enjoying the passion and urgency after the Misbah and Azhar era for our limited overs team.

Give him a few series, and see how he settles into the role. I think tactically he has been an improvement and is taking a very proactive approach to the captaincy.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but these players deserve and need such treatment.

Anyone observe how bad our fielding was last game?

They need to know if they drop the ball they will be screamed at.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not need to run around like headless chicken to command respect - Dhoni , Ponting , Vettori
    Sarfaraz needs to be a lot more calm - he's making Virat look composed. Need to calm down and show a bit more calm behaviour - players panic in tense situations anyways - don't need to add to that.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read recent interview of Asad Shafiq, Hassaan Khan and some past interviews of players who played under him, they all applauded his captaincy and fighting spirit.

Sarfraz is know to appreciate his players a lot.

I guess some people dont like his voice and he can do nothing about it. As he is a keeper so they are hearing everything he says.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's alright for being aggressive in decision making.

But this is bad stuff, You need to let your bowlers think themselves, They have a brain and you should encourage them to out think the batsman rather than dictating them how to bowl, Certainly they are professional as well.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The real test will come when he is going to face stronger teams like Aus, South Africa in ODI's. There will be moments when opposition will have upper hand over Pakistan this is where he will lose his temper and one of the players might get hurt. Guys like Dhoni, Ponting, Graeme Smith, Jayawardene never did that.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post

But this is bad stuff, You need to let your bowlers think themselves, They have a brain and you should encourage them to out think the batsman rather than dictating them how to bowl, Certainly they are professional as well.
    By almost all accounts and evidence our bowlers are brainless clowns who cannot think

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    still new i think will learn ....

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its maybe a bit over the top, but I think its fine and the benefits in it far outweigh the problems. its good to see the passion and fight, and I'm sure (I know) he fights for his players just as hard. this is the kind of stuff if played right creates a team ethic.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    First "India is afraid of us"..

And then on the field running after the bowlers after every delivery.

Looks like he's doing it for the media, and his imaginary "image" as "aggressive captain".

LOOK, all the captains speak to their players on field. Even the most 'aggressive' ones do their work.

But they're NOT disrespectful, act like school kids, and shout after each delivery, with immature antics.

Even getting called out by Ian Bishop / commentators .
    Yes he should do what Kami does when he sees a teammate mess up by baring his teeth, look up to the heavens with that trademark gormless look on his face, and repeat.

Sarfraz has been captaining domestic and U19 teams, as well as the T20 team. This is his style of leadership liie Misbah's style was more calm and reserved.

You guys should've seen the likes of Wasim and Waqar curse out every generation of a fielder's family member after a drop catch - this is mild and tame stuff in comparison. As long as it doesn't go overboard its fine.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wasimjunior View Post
    I'm sorry but these players deserve and need such treatment.

Anyone observe how bad our fielding was last game?

They need to know if they drop the ball they will be screamed at.
    Exactly, our players need to be kept on their toes. We Pakistan fans overanalyse things to an insane degree.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    By almost all accounts and evidence our bowlers are brainless clowns who cannot think
    The more I watch them, the more I seem to think this is the case.

In terms of Shadab, it was no secret that he was overbowling his googly relying far too much on it. That was never going to work in the long term. I think Sarfaraz encouraging him to bowl more conventional leg spins has resulted in him bowler much better as the series has gone on. (Yes he got more wickets at the beginning but that was more due to the novelty factor and West Indies trying to smash him).

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Markhor - there's a huge difference between swearing for a drop catch, vs. swearing and shouting at your players after EVERY delivery.

The ppers seem to think McCullum was the most aggressive captain of this era. Remind me when did he act like a school kid like this on the pitch?

You said "doesn't go overboard". But it already is what he's doing on the field. That's why everyone is pointing it out - Bishop, Rameez, OP.

It has turned into "micromanagement" - which is really bad in every sort of job.

Maybe he'll tone it down a bit, because he has to.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Yes he should do what Kami does when he sees a teammate mess up by baring his teeth, look up to the heavens with that trademark gormless look on his face, and repeat.

Sarfraz has been captaining domestic and U19 teams, as well as the T20 team. This is his style of leadership liie Misbah's style was more calm and reserved.

You guys should've seen the likes of Wasim and Waqar curse out every generation of a fielder's family member after a drop catch - this is mild and tame stuff in comparison. As long as it doesn't go overboard its fine.
    Agree with wasim and waqar part. I have seen wasim scolding young saqlain quite a few times.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    There are smart ones like Shadab and Hassan Ali.

Even Mohammad Aamir has decent mind however his line and control is a bit down.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Only seems to behave ridiculously with certain players.

When some players do poor fielding or drop a catch or don't attempt a catch he doesn't say anything.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    @Markhor - there's a huge difference between swearing for a drop catch, vs. swearing and shouting at your players after EVERY delivery.

The ppers seem to think McCullum was the most aggressive captain of this era. Remind me when did he act like a school kid like this on the pitch?

You said "doesn't go overboard". But it already is what he's doing on the field. That's why everyone is pointing it out - Bishop, Rameez, OP.

It has turned into "micromanagement" - which is really bad in every sort of job.

Maybe he'll tone it down a bit, because he has to.
    Let's keep things in perspective. This Pakistan conceded 444 last year in England. We got whipped in Australia. We failed to defend 308 vs a 9th ranked West Indies team in the last match.

We may even have to qualify for the next World Cup which would embarassing for a cricketing nation of our standing.

Our bowling average between the 2015 World Cup and the start of Mickey Arthur's tenure was the SECOND worst in the world and that's including Associates ! Barely better than the mighty UAE.

Frankly, we need a skipper who whips this underperforming, underachieving attack onto shape and if that means a bit of lip every over then so be it. I'm sick of this mediocrity and its heartening to see a captain who actually gives a damn.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

When some players do poor fielding or drop a catch or don't attempt a catch he doesn't say anything.
    Certainly seniors are forgiven from him.

Not good at all.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Certainly seniors are forgiven from him.

Not good at all.
    Exactly.

Hafeez didn't go for a catch that he should have. Sarfraz stood there and just smiled.

Other such examples are there also.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Let's keep things in perspective. This Pakistan conceded 444 last year in England. We got whipped in Australia. We failed to defend 308 vs a 9th ranked West Indies team in the last match.

We may even have to qualify for the next World Cup which would embarassing for a cricketing nation of our standing.

Our bowling average between the 2015 World Cup and the start of Mickey Arthur's tenure was the SECOND worst in the world and that's including Associates ! Barely better than the mighty UAE.

Frankly, we need a skipper who whips this underperforming, underachieving attack onto shape and if that means a bit of lip every over then so be it. I'm sick of this mediocrity and its heartening to see a captain who actually gives a damn.

I think you're falling for these antics, which in all fairness are not going to improve the on-field performance.

WI were 96/6. They're 200 for 8 now.

How do you think that happened? You seem to think shouting after every delivery means performance will be improved and fielders/bowlers will be more effective.

It's the opposite that has happened here. And, like you want our performances to be improved, I want the same.

But, what he's doing, will have an opposite effect on team output.

It's good to be active on the field. But there's a difference in going overboard vs. keeping it optimal to maximize player performance.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pointed this out after last game against WI. Very annoying. I don't like a Captain showing his dissapointment at players on the field. Take it in the dressing room.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the most educated that's for sure...

I warned alot of people here be careful for they wish for... Sarfaraz also has some baggage like Azhar Ali did..

He was mellow and quiet, people didn't like it..

Sarfaraz is the complete opposite of Azhar

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind aggression but it has to be controlled and used at the right times.

I'm sorry but Sarfraz body language is horrible at times - I mean looking down with so much frustration can drag down other players. You are the captain, you should set the tone.

Once the match is over then sure you can give the hairdryer treatment to certain players but on the field you can't berate them constantly. Eventually you will hit their confidence and will affect the team.

It's still early days so hopefully he will learn to be calmer in tense situations.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Afraid of seniors??

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    I pointed this out after last game against WI. Very annoying. I don't like a Captain showing his dissapointment at players on the field. Take it in the dressing room.
    Exactly.

This is my personal experience playing club cricket for a long time. It rarely works to keep barking and berating your players on the field. It will eventually mean groups forming who will want to kick the captain
    Out once the team goes on a losing run.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Live update after 44th over;

Amir wanting to leave because of shoulder pain but Sarfraz wants one more over from him.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar goraya View Post

Amir wanting to leave because of shoulder pain but Sarfraz wants one more over from him.
    Yep. Very risky for Amir.

What captain would ask his main strike bowler to bowl more when he says his shoulder is shot

Tests still remaining!

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no point of yelling and he does that way too much. It makes him look nervous, makes other players uncomfortable and it could damage the team spirit too.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amir informed Sarf that his shoulder is hurting, at that point one ball was left in the over and Sarf said "aek aur karde" meaning bowl the last bowl and go off.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have followed Sarfraz's captaincy career from his u-19 wc and I didnt come across even one incident where his teammates were not happy from him.

Yes, there are some concerns like he is too respectful for the seniors which is fine in life but not when you are captain of a cricket team but there is some over reaction especially Rameez who didnt like Sarfraz for appealing as he thought its too loud :p ..

Whenever Rameez was out from commentary things seem to tone down. Whats wrong when Sarfraz saying simple Urdu "Beta peechay chala ja .. etc ". These are common things we say in Urdu to our teammates.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

Amir informed Sarf that his shoulder is hurting, at that point one ball was left in the over and Sarf said "aek aur karde" meaning bowl the last bowl and go off.
    That's what's being pointed out genius!

He asked to not bowl as his shoulder is shot. Yet Sarf forced him to bowl one more - that could've taken Amir our for a good few months if something really happened on that delivery.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over reaction. I am really getting a feeling that some people even dont understand proper Urdu as well. including Rameez Raja. Sorry.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what's being pointed out genius!

He asked to not bowl as his shoulder is shot. Yet Sarf forced him to bowl one more - that could've taken Amir our for a good few months if something really happened on that delivery.
    Perhaps, but the injury happened quite a bit before and he had bowled a fair number of deliveries since.

At that point, the match was not won so Sarfaraz simply asked him to bowl one more after bowling so much rather than having to bring someone else on to complete the over.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Over reaction. I am really getting a feeling that some people even dont understand proper Urdu as well. including Rameez Raja. Sorry.
    I think folks like Hawkeye should come out and say openly that they hate the fact that Sarfaraz is captain and they will nitpick every small thing.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Middlesbrough
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz is captain and that's what people wanted on this forum if I recall correctly. These boys are professionals, and should be able to handle a bit of a telling off.

Found rameez highly irritating today, repeatedly made the same point. If this is what he's like a few matches into sarfraz's captaincy then I dread to hear him when Pakistan are really up against it.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th April 2017 at 23:40.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz is overdoing imo. He just can't back this with his own performance he should not forget that. Just needs to be cool and calm when he enters the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And Amir did not go off after that over because of Sarfraz's request.

Both things happened. What you are saying is right. But after that delivery and over Sarfraz requested him to bowl one over more.

If some one has recording then you will be able to hear it.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix363 View Post
    Perhaps, but the injury happened quite a bit before and he had bowled a fair number of deliveries since.

At that point, the match was not won so Sarfaraz simply asked him to bowl one more after bowling so much rather than having to bring someone else on to complete the over.
    And you are saying it was a wise move to bowl a lot of deliveries despite being in quite visible pain.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's fine.

Its good to have someone who's actually vocal and supportive of his players on the field. Azhar would never be seen even giving the slightest iota of encouragement or vocal support to boost the morale of his players. That encouragement keeps things lively.

Of course Sarfaraz will need to temper it more to prevent it from becoming too much of a good thing. You need some balance, but overall its actually something nice to hear every now and then. And if you have that advantage of communicating with your teammates in a language the opposition cannot understand, why not?

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Shehr-e-Lahore o Munich
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember making a similar post as OP back when we first saw his captaincy glimpse against England in the T20i. A lot of posters brushed off my criticism of his bossy attitude by saying that this was what Pakistan needed, that they had been crying out loud for this sort of aggression, passion etc. Good to see that more posters have realised that a captain isn't supposed to be a bullying figure on the field. Shaking his head after every little mishap, shouting, gesturing violently; this sort of behavior only puts the teammates under unnecessary pressure and is not very conducive for general camaraderie on and off the field.

Nobody is saying that he should overlook slackness and lethargy but there is a milder manner of addressing that. Sit with the players after the game and make them understand that you want agility and passionate performance in general from them on the field.

I am afraid this is just the glimpse; we'll probably even witness some real castigation from him in the future. I dearly hope that's not the case though and he starts improving and controlling his behavior.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind him showing emotions at all he's an aggressive captain and one of the bets batsmen we have. With time he'll get better.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our players have "dheet chamri" if you do not give it back to them on their face they take advantage.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A. No, quite a few of the bowlers are brainless and undisciplined. And almost everyone benefits from thinking with others.

B. How detailed were his directions? I only watched part of the game live. Nothing wrong with telling the bowler 'two balls left,' 'good bowling' etc...

C. Imran was before my time, but if I recall he was an absolute tyrant? And Wasim always like to recall how Imran was always in his ear telling him what to bowl, ball by ball.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Very risky for Amir.

What captain would ask his main strike bowler to bowl more when he says his shoulder is shot

Tests still remaining!
    I don't think Amir is Sarfy's main strike bowler anymore

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I enjoy this, after 7 years of witnessing Misbah and Azhar standing like statues.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time a captain showed the danda attitude to the players we won the World T20.

The same people here back then would cry and complain about YK being too harsh on the players and even stupid stuff like him not smiling.

Hopefully there aren't no groupings this time around :kami

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's a good approach and is nice to see discipline. Only problem is he shouldn't fraggle it in front of seniors, especially if they're dipsticks like KAkmal. It will get rid of this seniority culture too showing that no one is above the team.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for aggression and pushing his team but at times he's become like a schoolteacher with young children.

The language, the body language, the finger pointing - what's all that about. It's too much at times and could backfire with colleagues.
    I said all this about Sarfraz long time gao. He is to immature to be captain in all honesty and his own personal performances are mediocre at best.

I'm willing to give him a chance and I hope he learns to behave well and conduct himself like a professional sooner rather than later.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you are saying it was a wise move to bowl a lot of deliveries despite being in quite visible pain.
    Amir made that decision himself. Sarfaraz only asked for the one extra delivery, which for the sake of the team, Amir rightly did.

Akin to an injured batsman coming out to save a match. It happens, despite the risk of making an injury worse.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seen Sheen View Post
    I remember making a similar post as OP back when we first saw his captaincy glimpse against England in the T20i. A lot of posters brushed off my criticism of his bossy attitude by saying that this was what Pakistan needed, that they had been crying out loud for this sort of aggression, passion etc. Good to see that more posters have realised that a captain isn't supposed to be a bullying figure on the field. Shaking his head after every little mishap, shouting, gesturing violently; this sort of behavior only puts the teammates under unnecessary pressure and is not very conducive for general camaraderie on and off the field.

Nobody is saying that he should overlook slackness and lethargy but there is a milder manner of addressing that. Sit with the players after the game and make them understand that you want agility and passionate performance in general from them on the field.

I am afraid this is just the glimpse; we'll probably even witness some real castigation from him in the future. I dearly hope that's not the case though and he starts improving and controlling his behavior.
    You clearly do not understand Pakistan cricket if you believe the solution is to sit with the players after the game and try to make them understand.

These guys prep and prep before matches but their brains seem to freeze when out in he middle. Sarfaraz needs to control his frustrations, but if his barking orders is making the players more attentative and conscious of their movements then I'm all for it.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am ok with whichever captaincy style Sarfraz employ as long as he is producing results and his style is same for everyone

Debut
    May 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its a huge step up from afridi misbah and azhar. Thank god we have him and people complaining its shows he cares so what of he does it on the pitch, have you guys forgotten the matches lost by our previous captains

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing tired of sarfraz, looks fat and immobile, his keeping is below par hasn't done anything of note with the bat for some time...... and on top displays very immature antics as captain..

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Growing tired of sarfraz, looks fat and immobile, his keeping is below par hasn't done anything of note with the bat for some time...... and on top displays very immature antics as captain..
    You're welcome to watch clips of Misbah as LO captain and our other amazing keepers over the past decade.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix363 View Post
    You're welcome to watch clips of Misbah as LO captain and our other amazing keepers over the past decade.
    Behaving like a chimp on steroids is not a sign of being an aggressive captain. It's a sign of someone who has no control.

Aggressive captain is someone who can think on their feet and take a gamble with positive tactics be it bat, ball or with field placements.

A great captain will do all the above and if need be use negative tactics to get the job done.

I think Sarfraz is fast reaching the end of his usefulness in the team, if your keeping is at par with kakmal and your not producing with the bat.... what is his worth in the team?... the team foghorn?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This type of behavior cannot be kept up for long or the players won't like to play under him. I am ok if this happens for a high pressure game or a series here and there. He should respect them as players.

All of you who like this are typical armchair critics who are not looking for a sport but a soap opera. Would you like your boss to behave this way for you? Would this enable you to perform well consistently at your workplace?

You dont set standards by yelling - you do it by holding them accountable for their performance.

The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there — Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Behaving like a chimp on steroids is not a sign of being an aggressive captain. It's a sign of someone who has no control.

Aggressive captain is someone who can think on their feet and take a gamble with positive tactics be it bat, ball or with field placements.

A great captain will do all the above and if need be use negative tactics to get the job done.
    Absolutely, in Pakistan only the one who yells loudest looks more like a leader.

The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there — Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree and I don;t like him calling Shadab " beta ", its just not professional.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think he's been absolutely fine. Maybe needs to keep his composure a bit more

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting that Ian Bishop pointed this out. Sarfraz has always been hyper, I do not think he can control it. I would not even be surprised if it is some nervous medical condition.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    That's interesting that Ian Bishop pointed this out. Sarfraz has always been hyper, I do not think he can control it. I would not even be surprised if it is some nervous medical condition.
    Well we all knew it. The guy is similar to his mentor Moin Khan so a lot of similarities. He will continue to talk, shout etc.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    You thankless fans deserve nothing more than Misbah/Azhar.

Sarfraz is the hero we need but don't deserve.

Agree that he needs to maybe tone it down slightly but I for one am enjoying this. He is very involved in the game and wants to bring the best out of everyone - nothing wrong with that.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Typical Pakistanis..... :facepalm:

Cummon guys...
    Azhar is too defensive and slow..
    Sarfaraz is way too aggressive..
    Misbah plays a lot of dot balls then hit..
    Sarfaraz rotates strike a lot but don't hit..
    Malik is finished can only hit spinners..

Pakistanis can never be happy at any condition it's easier to criticize because its easy to just open your mouth and that's what we are good at..

@Saj we all know how we behave!! We don't follow signals, can't drive in a straight line, always giving bribes to traffic police, if paying a bill always try to disrupt the line because no one is stopping us.

As a nation we work better when there's a danda on our heads.. Pakistan's problem has always been lack of interest and passion when they feel they are going to win, but Sarfaraz won't let them rest till we win.. That's what was needed a danda to make these young underachieving ****** who underperform just for fun to fight it out in the field..