Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"India are strong contenders to win the Champions Trophy" : Irfan Pathan

One of the stars of India's tours of Pakistan in 2004 and 2006, Irfan Pathan was considered to be one of the most talented swing and seam bowlers to emerge from India since Kapil Dev. He has so far represented India in 173 games, taking 301 wickets and also scored a more than useful 2821 runs.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Irfan Pathan spoke about why he feels that India are favourites to retain the Champions Trophy title, the highs of his career, his best memories of playing against Pakistan, the abundance of talent in Indian cricket and what he feels he must do to return to international cricket in the near future.

PakPassion.net : Who in your view are the favourites to win the Champions Trophy?

Irfan Pathan :
    The Indian ODI team has been playing well in recent times and the players selected for the Champions Trophy squad have been in top form as well. Look at the examples of Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami and others who have performed excellently in the IPL. The same applies for the batsmen as well. So, the fact that all of these players are in good form is crucial for the chances of any team in such a high-profile competition. Given all these facts, I am very hopeful that the Indian team can repeat the performances of the 2013 edition of the Champions Trophy. That was a piece of history that I was also part of and I feel that the Indian squad of today are strong contenders to become champions again in 2017. Apart from India, the Australian squad seems like a very strong unit and I am quite impressed by their bowling attack. But let me come back to India’s chances and say that based on my knowledge of English conditions where the ball swings a lot, the Indian bowlers are very strong in that aspect of the game and that makes India a very strong unit.

PakPassion.net : What are some of the highs of your career so far?

Irfan Pathan :
    It’s been a wonderful career so far and the highs are many. However, receiving my Test cap in Adelaide in 2003 from our captain Sourav Ganguly was a special moment in my career. I was to return to Australia in 2008 and be named man of the match in the third Test in Perth for my all-round performance which is something I also recall with great pride. What made my Australia performances special was the fact that it is tough to tour down under but then doing well there makes you a better and tougher cricketer. Perth is one of the fastest pitches in the world and for me to contribute to India’s win with the bat and ball was a high point in my career. Obviously winning the World Twenty20 as part of the Indian team in 2007 was an amazing feeling and being awarded the player of the match in such an important game, and that too against Pakistan was extra special. The hat-trick against Pakistan in the first Test in Karachi which was also the first-ever first-over hat-trick in Tests was incredible to this day. I feel blessed and all I can do is thank the Almighty for what He has bestowed on me. If you look at my background, you will see that no one in my family ever played cricket. My father was a muezzin in a local mosque and if you asked him to hold a bat, he would probably hold it like one of those characters in the Bollywood movie “Lagaan”. Jokes aside, he supported me a lot in my passion for cricket and I do consider myself fortunate that given my background, I have achieved so much in my career where my brother and I have both represented our country is truly amazing.

PakPassion.net : Your best memories of playing against Pakistan?

Irfan Pathan :
    I have really enjoyed playing against Pakistan and the trips to Pakistan in 2004 and 2006 were memorable and are examples of great times. In fact, my career- high started during my trip to Pakistan for the Under 19 series in 2003/2004. Also, I was man of the match and man of the series in the Asia Cup. Not only did I enjoy playing against Pakistan, I also have great memories of Pakistan where against Bangladesh in the Junior Asia Cup 2003/04 I was adjudged man of the tournament with best figures of 9-16 against them in Lahore.

But coming back to the games against Pakistan, we have played quite a few games against each other, most of which have been hard-fought and close games. Obviously, one that stands out is the 2007 World Twenty20 final which is very close to my heart. It was against Pakistan and it was the final, what more could one ask for in terms of its importance?

PakPassion.net : Any funny incidents when playing against Pakistan?

Irfan Pathan :
    I am sure there would be many of those but one that stands out in my memory is when we were playing Pakistan U19s in the 2002 World Cup. As you know there is always something a little extra happening when both the rivals play against each other. Obviously, a little more aggression comes along with being young and the matches against Pakistan always involve a little needle which makes its very interesting. Throughout the game, there was a bit of a fight happening between some of the players from both sides and I was in the thick of it from our side. When the game ended, the managers of both teams got the teams together to try and diffuse the situation. So, I started to chat with one of the Pakistan boys when Umar Gul appeared from behind and held me in a lock and said, “Don’t get too angry with our guys, I am a Pathan as well”, so I said, “I am an Indian Pathan, so let’s see who is stronger” and everyone laughed and the mood became very light indeed. That was a funny moment but as a result of that I have been great friends with Umar Gul ever since.

PakPassion.net : What kind of relationship have you had with Pakistan players in general?

Irfan Pathan :
    Unfortunately, contact between both sets of players has been limited of late but it goes without saying that we all have a great mutual respect for each other. Like I have said before, the way someone like Abdul Razzaq played his cricket was ahead of his time in those days and that is the kind of respect I have for Pakistan players. We all saw the beautiful tweet from Yuvraj Singh about Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan on their retirement so that just shows that despite all, we have a tremendous relationship which is great for the game.

PakPassion.net : What was it like playing against Shahid Afridi?

Irfan Pathan :
    A fight was never far away with Shahid Afridi on the field. There was always some sort of a fight going on in the field. He would always say something and then I would respond with my own words but you know what? That’s the fun of playing international cricket where you are representing your own country and that was part and parcel of the game.

PakPassion.net : Does it make you sad that India and Pakistan are not playing enough cricket against each other?

Irfan Pathan :
    I am a firm believer that we as players have to follow whatever the Government of India decides for us and that’s the way it should be. Of course, one cannot forget the great history of cricket rivalry between the two nations and hopefully the upcoming Champions Trophy clash in Birmingham will be another chapter in this regard.

PakPassion.net : What is the reason behind India producing some excellent players of late?

Irfan Pathan :
    I think the secret to this resurgence is that the young players are getting ample chances to showcase their talent and the main reason for that is the IPL. Its allowing talented cricketers to emerge and also to rub shoulders with some of the top players in the world such as Chris Gayle, Dale Steyn and Brett Lee which is a great learning experience. Of course, the young guns also have a great opportunity to play next to top-class Indian international players such as MS Dhoni or Yuvraj Singh as well which is a big plus. This makes a big difference in giving the younger players the confidence they really need. Also, playing in high-profile games and performing in high-pressure games provides the type of growth that young players need. But then, let us not forget the fact that the domestic cricket structure has improved tremendously to the point that a lot of players have started to make careers out of playing at that level. There was once a time when making a living out of domestic cricket was difficult but now they players are not worried about their financial careers and playing cricket for a profession is a viable proposition. The BCCI has done a wonderful job in establishing the IPL and also have put in a lot of effort in creating the infrastructure which is helping the game grow in India. So, not just the big states and cities have big grounds but even smaller places like the scenic Himachal which would have been unheard of in the past.

PakPassion.net : You are now 32-years-old, do you feel time is running out for you to make a return to international cricket?

Irfan Pathan :
    I really feel I have a lot of cricket left in me. I am fit and have been maintaining my fitness for the past two years or so. What I wish to do in the next season is to up my level of performance but most importantly, I want to start enjoying my cricket more. When I say enjoy, what I mean is that I want to stop worrying about the results and outcomes or think about what will happen in the future. What I need to do is to play cricket to the best of my ability and get back that enjoyment factor into my cricket which is so important in a cricketer’s success and growth. I want to go to that level of enjoyment and stop worrying about how and when my comeback will come.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Pleasure speaking to Irfan - really sounded like someone who is willing to go the extra mile to regain his place.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    826 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think India can do it as they always turn up in major tournaments.

It's also important for India that Kohli finds form again as they heavily rely on him.

You gotta work until your idols become your rivals.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket has made Pathan a millionaire many times over and he's a household name in India so I won't feel too sorry for him but it's sad how his career has fizzled out. Irfan isn't even a first XI pick for many of his domestic sides now. Oh what could have been......

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Cricket has made Pathan a millionaire many times over and he's a household name in India so I won't feel too sorry for him but it's sad how his career has fizzled out. Irfan isn't even a first XI pick for many of his domestic sides now. Oh what could have been......
    He is better than Pandya whom India are hell bent on making him an all rounder..

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Always rated him as a decent all-rounder and he's spot on regarding India at the Champions Trophy - definitely the team to beat.

Some nice commentsabout the Pakistani players.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Australia, England and South Africa are all stronger then India imo

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Strong contenders but not favourites in my book.

Decent answers from Irfan on the whole.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only England can beat India in this cup

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Irfan Pathan backs Virat Kohli and Co to defend Champions Trophy title in England

Karachi: Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan has backed the Virat Kohli-led side to successfully defend the Champions Trophy beginning June 1 in England and Wales.

India won the last Champions Trophy in 2013 and head into the marquee event as favourites after a hugely successful home season with 10 Test wins.

The Men in Blue are number one in the Test rankings after series victories over New Zealand, England, Bangladesh and Australia, and would hope to carry that form into the Champions Trophy.

"The Indian ODI team has been playing well in recent times and the players selected for the Champions Trophy squad have been in top form as well. Look at the examples of Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami and others who have performed excellently in the IPL," Pathan said in an interview with pakpassion.net"

The same applies for the batsmen as well. So, the fact that all of these players are in good form is crucial for the chances of any team in such a high-profile competition."

"Given all these facts, I am very hopeful that the Indian team can repeat the performances of the 2013 edition of the Champions Trophy. That was a piece of history that I was also part of and I feel that the Indian squad of today are strong contenders to become champions again in 2017," he added.

Kohli and his team will play South Africa, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in Group B, while England, Australia, Bangladesh and New Zealand form Group A.

The 32-year-old further said that Indian bowling unit consisting of Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami and Jasprit Bumrah would utilize the swing conditions on offer in England to the utmost, which thus makes the team a very strong unit.

"Based on my knowledge of English conditions where the ball swings a lot, the Indian bowlers are very strong in that aspect of the game and that makes India a very strong unit," he said.I

ndia will begin its title defence against arch rival Pakistan on June 4 in Birmingham following matches against Sri Lanka and South Africa on June 8 and June 11 respectively.

Squad:

Virat Kohli (capt), R Ashwin, Jasprit Bumrah, Shikhar Dhawan, MS Dhoni (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Kedar Jadhav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Rohit Sharma, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Hardik Pandya, Ajinkya Rahane, Umesh Yadav, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammed Shami

http://zeenews.india.com/cricket/icc...d-2008615.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    He is better than Pandya whom India are hell bent on making him an all rounder..
    Don't agree Pandya is Younger, Stronger and been more effective than Pathan recently. The team is surely investing for the future

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope they aren't, Pakistan is the only contender to win it.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irfan, faded away too soon, took a 5 fer and 20 odd vital runs in his last ODI

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is the weakest amongst the quality quartet of Ind, Aus, SA and England.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their middle to lower order is still suspect IMO. If they are 20-2, with Rohit and Kohli out, I am doubtful if the likes of Dhawan, Yuvraj and Dhoni can recover well, given that all of them have suspect techniques on lively pitches.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't take this win seriously. India played poor cricket even SL can beat them easily.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedster777 View Post
    Don't take this win seriously. India played poor cricket even SL can beat them easily.
    And you will say the same thing after India thrashes Lanka and the game was gifted to them on a plate by Lanka.This trolling will continue till India wins the Champions Trophy and then the IPL contract conspiracy theories will arise....

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transitional View Post
    Their middle to lower order is still suspect IMO. If they are 20-2, with Rohit and Kohli out, I am doubtful if the likes of Dhawan, Yuvraj and Dhoni can recover well, given that all of them have suspect techniques on lively pitches.
    Who looks solid nowadays and we recently saw England bundled out for 150 odd runs against the seaming bowl

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Indians might make the Finals ...... not sure they can win though.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is England's cup, mate !

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
    India is the weakest amongst the quality quartet of Ind, Aus, SA and England.
    No it's SA

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India or England will win.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystical man View Post
    And you will say the same thing after India thrashes Lanka and the game was gifted to them on a plate by Lanka.This trolling will continue till India wins the Champions Trophy and then the IPL contract conspiracy theories will arise....
    buddy now decide yourself that who is trolling? Him or you?

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Langau View Post
    buddy now decide yourself that who is trolling? Him or you?
    There is no trolling and as we speak India has crushed a much superior ODI side and made its way to the semifinals.They have a very strong chance of making it to the finals as well.Such is the nature of these tournaments that any team will have a single good day and make it to the semis or finals

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes INDIA is the strong contender of Champions trophy but don't underestimate Pakistan. Yes we lost the opening game but if met again we will definitely win by the grace of Allah, In Sha Allah. The weakness of our player is they are taking much pressure when playing against India in any ICC event. I suggest them take them easy and think it is a normal game of cricket. It can help them to defeat India. One thing more if we get another chance to play with India we need to bowl first and restrict them, because they can achieve any target easily. Hope we win this time because whenever we get momentum we perform well.

Thanks
    Ishfaq Bhat

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishfaq bhat View Post
    Yes INDIA is the strong contender of Champions trophy but don't underestimate Pakistan. Yes we lost the opening game but if met again we will definitely win by the grace of Allah, In Sha Allah. The weakness of our player is they are taking much pressure when playing against India in any ICC event. I suggest them take them easy and think it is a normal game of cricket. It can help them to defeat India. One thing more if we get another chance to play with India we need to bowl first and restrict them, because they can achieve any target easily. Hope we win this time because whenever we get momentum we perform well.

Thanks
    Ishfaq Bhat
    You are right and Pakistan may go
    on to win the cup or get eliminated by Lanka as well.All possible scenarios are possible with Bangladesh winning against India as well

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishfaq bhat View Post

Thanks
    Ishfaq Bhat
    If it was a normal game for you all, you wouldnt be praying so much

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with U. Bit our team is taking much pressure that is why we are loosing every time, I suggest it for player of Pakistan team. Yep it is our duty to pray for Pak .