Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Pakistani fan's thoughts on the past few days

I have been occasionally following this site for past few years. Reading you guys thoughts and never chiming in myself.

The events of past few days have moved me so much that I am willing to share my precious thoughts with you guys.

It all started when a thread titled "Would Pakistan prefer India OR Bangladesh in the finals?"

Following quote is my response to the thread. After the quote you will find my follow up thoughts on the whole turnaround.

It is long but it will be enjoyable.

It's my tribute to the Pakistani team and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    My initial thought was "hopefully we face Bangladesh in the final". But then my consciousness kicked in. I looked at myself in the mirror and said to myself "that's not who I am."

Wishing for BD in the final is a wish of a coward. It's the wish of a risk free person. It's the wish of a 'let's play it safe guys' kinda person. It's the wish of a 'I don't want to fail' type of a person.

And you know what? That's not who I am! That's not what I strive to be in my life! My attitude towards life is not to avoid failures and go for the easy route. I am always up for a challenge. I am a daredevil. I like to take calculated and also uncalculated risks. I like to jump in the cold water. I don't hesitate to take on difficult tasks heads on. Only this way I can grow and become stronger.

I am from a nation of brave people.

Then why shall I wish for my team to be given the easier option? Why shall my team not take on a tough challenge? Just because there is a huge risk of failing badly and ending up being humiliated?

Oh yeah!? So what?! Life can not be lived like a timid turtle.

I appreciate sports because of it's potential to inspire me in my daily life. When I see critics pointing fingers at a certain player/team and write him/it off I look at that player/team. I look closely. And observe if they dare to take on the challenge, if they dare to stand up and show resistance. If they have it in them, against all odds, to fight back and come out on the top. Leaving the naysayers and critics completely stunned.

Then in my life when I am facing hurdles and difficulties I think about that special moment when against all odds that player defeated all his challengers and came on top. If he can overcome his hurdles so can I.

Pakistan is one such team with a lot of potential and history of coming at the top against all odds. Unfortunately it also has a rich history of massive disappointments.

Past few days though have given me a new hope. The way the team dealt with the humiliating defeat against India and came back in the tournament with a new spirit. Led by a brave captain who was under scrutiny himself. A team with some new and young talents, with fire in their eyes and courage in their approach. All this has given me the belief to stand behind this Pakistan team and place my trust on it.

So here it is. The challenge of the challenges. An opportunity to wash away old wounds. An opportunity to prove one's worth. An opportunity to regain glory. An opportunity of a lifetime.

Let's take it on! Forget about the easy route. We are here to prove our worth. We are here to be crowned as champions. We defeated the #1 team, crushed the undisputed favorites and now it's only befitting to face the archivals. There shall not be any shying away. Let's be brave!

Let's take it on! Let's head into it with full strength. Let's be fearless. Let's trust the youth and stand behind them. Let's play as we have been playing in the past few days.

Let's fight it out. Win or lose it is part of the game.

In worst case we will lose. Some internet trolls will have a field day and might remind us about it for the rest of eternity. So what?

If we win though, we will inspire a whole generation.

No doubt India is a top team and defending champion. It is not about underestimating the opponent. It is about trusting oneself. It is about believing that we are good enough. Understanding that failures cannot be avoided. Heck, understanding that failing over and over again is necessary.

What doesn't kill us will make us stronger, no doubt about that.

Our first match was against India, let our final one be against India too.

No surrender, no retreat!

Let the result be whatever it might be. The fear of bad result shall not frighten us from making a move.

Just bring it!
    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...-in-the-finals

The result of PAK vs IND encounter: Pakistan won by 180 runs.

Emotions running high!

Feelings running wild!

This my friends is what the rewards can be when we dare to take the challenge head on.

How many of our cheeky opponents had the impression that it'd be best and wise of us to wish for the easier route, the safer route, the route with less hurdles and ultimately the route of a coward.

You should hope to meet a weaker opponent in the final otherwise you'd be getting a beating of a lifetime!

We were warned.

They claimed they were cheering for us during our semi-final against England. Why? So that they could have an easy win against us in the finals.

Not long after our impressive win against England they tried to take away our joy and ruin our victory by trying to scare us.

Don't get so happy!

You know you will be facing us in the finals, right?!

They shouted.

Be scared! Be very very scared!

Get ready for the ultimate humiliation!

They threatened.

No way we are going to hand the trophy to the likes of you.

They seemed so self-assured of being able to defend their beloved trophy.

In reality all this bravado was to test our mettle! To confirm how weak we are. They wished to see fear in our eyes.

But the whole nation spoiled their fun. We loudly and daringly asked for a final against the tougher opposition, our nemesis and our arch-rival.

Now here we are...

The match is behind us...

So many stories have been written. So many legends for the future generation to inspire from.

For example there is this newbie. Who had been dreaming for a long time of playing for his country and proving his worth. Now just three games again he has been handed his debut in this big tournament and that too in a knockout match.

It's not easy! But he never wanted it to be easy. He just wanted to perform whenever he got the opportunity.

And perform he did. He has hit back to back fifties. One in a virtual quarterfinal and the other in the semi-final.

But if he had ever dreamt of performing than that would have been in today's encounter:

The stage is set. It's the final game against the arch-rival. The winner gets much more than a trophy. He gets a place in the history books.

All the wins of the past few match are worth nothing anymore. All his runs, all his fifties are now past and forgotten. He knows it. What matters is how he will fare now. All eyes are on him. Big burden of his teams batting lies on his shoulders, he is fully aware.

It's a nervous start.

An outside edge. A catch. OUT!

so it wasn't meant to be... Today is not the day my dreams would come true... I won't become a hero today...

So he thought and made his way toward the pavilion.

A call to hold on from the umpire. They are checking for the noball and the young man is hoping against hope...

It is indeed a noball!

I have been given a new life and I will make them pay for it.

He vowed.

A couple of moments later. A man is letting out a big roar in the middle of the pitch, punching the air wildly.

It's him!

It's the newbie!

He has just hit his first maiden ODI century!

A hero is born!

He did justice to his name. His name is Fakhar Zaman and they won't forget it soon.

Then there is a bowler, who came back after five years of ban. He used to be held high as a prodigy by his countrymen. He had felt how it is to be at the very top but only for a brief moment. For soon after he fell at the very bottom, disgracefully. Bringing shame and humiliation to his nation.

This was not what he had aimed for when he first wore the green shirt.

He was banned for five years. In those five years he went through a lot of mental torture. Five years of contemplating whether he should give up on his God-given talent and pursuit another career. Though somehow he manages to hold on to his own and aims for a comeback.

A chance to perhaps redeem himself.

Time flies by. Now he has been in the team for two years. His comeback to the team was heavily expected. He was rushed into the team. The nation seemed to have forgiven him too soon.

But it is starting to look grim for him. He can't live up to the nation's expectation. It does not seem like as if he will ever reach his past heights.

The nation is wondering whether he has been cursed. Despite his good bowling he never seems to get any wickets.

He should have never been allowed back in the team.

Some whispered.

It's the big tournament. He had high hopes from it. But it's the same old story. Good bowling but no wickets. He himself is frustrated with his performance.

He was missed out on the semi-finals because of an injury. But now he is fully fit for the final. People are questioning if he should even play in the final.

Here he is. Indeed playing in the final. The captain seems to have trust in him.

It's the biggest game he has ever been in.

He is holding the ball firmly between his fingers, ready to defend the target his side has put on. Ready to give it his all. He is going bowl the first bowl of the second innings.

He is running in hard. Now is the time to make it count. He has yet another opportunity to prove his worth. Time to justify his selections. Time to give back to his nation for their trust and support. They have been disappointed from him. He never wanted to let them down.

Now or never!

IT'S TIME FOR THE ULTIMATE REDEMPTION!

Our opponents were confident in their batting lineup and rightly so. They have Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli as their top three.

Sharma has two double centuries in ODIs to his name, Dhawan has scored the most number of runs in the Champions trophy and Kohli is arguably the best ODI cricketer in the world right now and his strongest point is chasing down big targets effortlessly.

The opponents said England's batting isn't as dynamic as theirs. Our bowlers dominated England but it won't be easy against them. They were confident that there superstars can't be taken down easily.

The bowler who wants to redeem himself is running in hard...

Third balls and Rohit is gone!

An over later...

Third ball and Kohli is gone... oh wait he has been dropped.

ahaha how typical Pakistani of them. Look another life for Kohli! Now there is no saving them! Kohli is going to teach them a lesson they will never forget! Get ready and pay close attention.

They were sure about it.

Fourth ball and Kholi is gone.

Yes it's true. The genius architect of Indian batting line up is actually gone. Out twice in the spawn of two deliveries.

Okay, no worries. Everyone can have an off day. Dhawan is looking in a great touch he will guide us home with support from Yuvraj and Dhoni

They were still hopefull.

A couple of overs later. It is the last ball of his fifth over.

He balls a cross-seamer.

He sends Dhawan back to the pavilion.

In just 5 overs he has single-handedly borken the back bone of the Indian batting line up. India's top 3 batsmen, the best India has to offer all sent back to the dressing room before anyone could make sense of what's going on.

A large portion of the crowd has gone silent.

But one can clearly hear a portion of crowd chanting:

AMIR! AMIR! AMIR!

The bowler is soaking it all in. The redemption he had been yearning for so long has finally come his way.

No you aren't dreaming my boy. You actually did it!

Then there is this 18 years leg spinner. Who has been with the team only since a couple of months. Many experts wondered if it would be wise to play him in the finals. He is indeed playing.

It's his first over if the day. He has to bowl to Yuvraj Singh, India's pinch hitter of the finest and a great player of spin bowling.

The 18 years old bowls the last ball of his first over. It beats Yuvraj.

Huge appeal! No is the reply.

He immediately turns to his captain and asks him fiercely to take the review. There is fire in his eyes. The passion is pouring. He is assure of his kill. Fully aware that the game has a long way to go and if they end up wasting their only review this early in the game, it might come back to haunt them.

His conviction is strong. The confidence is high. He doesn't let the moment get to him. It's the final. The whole nation is watching. He is aware. He isn't timid, doesn't second-guess his judgment. He makes a call and stands behind it.

There is no way the captain could turn down the request by his young and daring player.

They take the review. The review is successful.

The audience is thrilled by the the young man stood his ground and fought for what he thought was rightly his.

Yuvraj has to walk back to the pavilion and the youngster can feel proud of his courage and sharpness. It's not the first time he has given the Indians a hefty blow. It was also him who took the sharp catch of India's captain.

He is Shadab Khan.

In the end there wasn't much to be seen of the dynamic Indian batting we were promised of. They were bundled out for even a lower score than the English team.

There were a lot of stories to be inspired by.

From the captain who had patiently waited for a long time, in the shadows before he could lead his nation as a skipper.

To that relatively unknown right arm seamer who was written off before he could even prove his worth because his physique was not ideal for a fast bowler. But here he is somehow, collecting the award for the best bowler of the tournament.

There are many stories and legends to talk about. But the lesson should be clear. It never hurts to take brave decision. The risks might be high but the rewards will be even higher. Don't be timid and don't let your fears consume you.

Be bold, be daring, never give up at the sight of huge adversaries and always push forward in spite of heavy resistance and setbacks.

The next time you find yourself in a tough situation, be it a difficult exam or standing up to your wife, think about these stories we witnessed today and let them inspire you to write your own story of overcoming hurdles and achieving success.

It's because of these inspirational stories provided by the Pakistani team that I can sit through an 8 hour long game in this fast paced world. Long may it continue!

Pakistan Zindabad !

We are the Champions and we did it in style!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful. Just wonderful. If you always take the same route, you're destination can never change. Read a quote sometime back like that. Pakistan cricket has not turned the leaf yet. But the Winds of Change are blowing. And their blowing pretty hard.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wow - nice write up!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you guys enjoyed it.

The victory has rubbed of on me. Today the whole day I was walking around in such a confidence, it felt as if I was the who scored the century and then took the wickets of India's top three.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well written.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant...Brilliantly written gave me goosebumps. I rate this win the best and in a way its very sweet fairy tale victory. Made my day yesterday and still enjoying it..

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post!! You should be professionally writing for ESPN.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoroughly enjoyed it

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m an Indian but I’m die hard Pakistan cricket fan since saeed anwar 194 in chennai.
    I have watch all the match of Pakistan but this champion trophy win was very special.
    Felt that cornered tigers were back.

Debut
    Jun 2016
    Venue
    Los Angeles, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Beautiful Article!!! I usually don't like to post ever and love just reading reading and reading. But this one just compelled me to come out of my comfort zone and say it was absolutely BRILLIANT. And please keep writing.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah such is the joy. The manner in which it was achieved made the whole thing quite sumptuous and stuff of a dream. And the occasion makes it even more memorable, the month of Ramadan when the whole nation is praying collectively. It will carry on at least till the EID when all the near and dear ones are expected to meet and re-live the whole of this dream together few more times until all the hearts are completely satiated and tired of discussing about it.
    It wouldn't have been this sweeter had it not been India in the finals and then the role played by Sehwag and the Indian media for spicing it up. So Thank You India!

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great read - one of the best victories as Pakistani in a long time - one for the ages!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read is again and was embarrassed by the typos and other mistakes.

Guys thank you for reading through this long post despite the errors and thanks for your appreciation. I am actually into math and science field and haven't written any essays or other creative writing since high school. I never had any writing classes and always felt that it comes naturally to me. When I start writing the words start to flow, I get a picture in my mind how the sentences are ought to be and I just can't bring myself to stop.

The positive remarks from you are encouraging and if life permits one of these days I plan to write a story book on courage, friendship and sacrifice with the intention of making it a best seller. Right now it is just daydreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_sayed27 View Post
    I’m an Indian but I’m die hard Pakistan cricket fan since saeed anwar 194 in chennai.
    I have watch all the match of Pakistan but this champion trophy win was very special.
    Felt that cornered tigers were back.
    This is actually nice to hear. It's actually funny that it was the batting performance of a Pakistani player that made you a fan not the great bowlers we had over the years. I hope for your sake that you quickly switched to following the Pakistani bowling rather than the batting.

If we put aside our over the top nationalistic bias for a moment then there is a lot to be cherished in sport. Just the hard work that goes into being a world class player is inspiring. I would not have been all too devastated had Kohli scored a brilliant 100 to see his side home. At the end of the day it's just a match. Winning or losing should not define our national pride. Rather we should look at the players and the dedication with which they put in the hard yards.

It's easy to dream of being a world class player hitting six sixes in a row or bowling a six wicket maiden over. When I was a kid I used to do exactly that. Shadow practicing with a bat playing out a 36 runs over. Now as I have grown older I have realized that there is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes. I now have much more appreciation of this strong work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed4472 View Post
    Beautiful Article!!! I usually don't like to post ever and love just reading reading and reading. But this one just compelled me to come out of my comfort zone and say it was absolutely BRILLIANT. And please keep writing.
    This was the best compliment ever. Making a shy person come out of their comfort zone feels good.

The ecstasy of the initial win has gradually declined. The tasks of daily life await me. Though I still feel an overall sense of positvity and happiness. On June 18th each year I will be rereading this to relive the events and emotions that had me feeling on the top of the world and inspired.

Just to have all my thought on one place when read this in a year time, following is what I posted somewhere else to point out that the thrill and joy isn't just because we won a match against india.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    It's not just the win against India.

It's the happiness of all wins in the tournament accumulated.

Beaten world #1

Beaten SL to get to the semis.

Beaten home favorites.

Then the cherry on the top. A tough encounter. Final against arch rivals. Will we be able to do it now. Will we finally win or will it be a repeat of the first match? Everyone seems confident we have no chance.

Surprise surprise. It's not a repeat.

We beat the DEFENDING CHAMPIONS in the final and lift the trophy.

Then add to that the fact that in all these wins barring the shakiness in SL match we have dominated the opposition and never let them recover from our onslaught.

It's the happiness over the new players who came in performed. Happiness that a Pakistani batsman made a century in the finals. Pakistani batsmen making centuries is a rarity. And making a century with a 100+ strike in the final of the tournament is unheard of about our batting performance of past years.

It's the joy and thrill, after a long session of depression. We thought we would never recover from our shortcomings in the Odi format. The embarrassing lost against India in the first game made the depression even worst and the nightmare kept on getting scarier.

As the voices of pessimists were getting stronger and stronger, the doubts in the hearts were growing day by day. As we were getting ready to pack the bags and go home. As the glory days of past seemed like the only thing we'd have for a long time. Holding on to firmly to the events of the 92 world cup, which a large portion of the young generation was too young to witness, felt like the only option.

Along came Fakhar Zaman, Hasan Ali and Shadab Khan lead by the brave captain supported by the whole team. We saw a performance from the Pakistan team we had never witnessed before.

To see them not giving up after the initial thrashing, to see them pick themselves up and fight back and to see how in the final they fought their demons of the past.

It all got us by surprise.

They went till the end. The reached the semi-finals and that would have been good enough. They defeated England and went to the finals, that would have been good enough. No, not enough they said. they kept on going, they aimed for one last kill.

They stepped on to the ground in the final match with an intent to win despite all odds against them and no-one giving them a chance.

They went into the final with a fighting spirit. The only thing we as the fans hoped to see. The exceeded our expectations and won the match convincingly.

People should not play down the achievements and oversimplify the matter at hand.

We are not over the moon because our team defeated India in a match in some tournament.

No, our team put on a performances that we didn't even dream off. It proved all the cricketing experts in the word wrong not just once not just twice but over and over again.

It's happiness overload.

And rightly so.

Keep up the party!

The party hasn't even started yet because of Ramadan. Waiting till Eid. It is a Eid gift and it will be truly appreciated come Eid day

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Saj POTW material bruv

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 45, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful write-up. @Sirris is a great addition to the forum.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!