Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"It is my wish to make a comeback in the One-Day format" : Yasir Shah

Currently regarded as one of the world's top bowlers, Yasir Shah has had a meteoric rise to fame since his Test debut for Pakistan in October 2014 against Australia. With 149 Test wickets in just 26 games, Yasir Shah is clearly Pakistan's weapon of choice in the longer version of the game and also continues to work towards his aim of contributing in the ODI and T20I formats of the game as well.

In a recent interview, Yasir Shah recounted his memories of Pakistan's historic Test series win in the West Indies, how he will miss the presence of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan on the cricket field in the future, what he wishes to achieve in his stint with Kent and his aspirations to reach the 200 Test wickets target in the near future.

PakPassion.net: Tell us about that incredible last day of the final Test against West Indies. Did you think that Pakistan could win the Test or did you feel that you had blown it and the match was destined to be a draw?

Yasir Shah:
    First of all, I would like to thank the Almighty for allowing us to win that important game. It was always our intention to be the first Pakistan side to win a Test series in the West Indies and to do that, we knew we had to win the final Test. To win this series and the final Test was an important objective for us, especially as this was the last series for both Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan. We were all aware that time was ticking by but I was trying very hard and hoping that the next ball would be a wicket-taking ball. I am so glad and thankful that my wish came true and we were able to win the match. You never give up hope and I continued to believe despite it getting very tense at the end.

PakPassion.net: How strange a feeling will it be when you walk onto the field in the next Test match and Misbah-ul-Haq will not be there to offer advice and guide you?

Yasir Shah:
    It will definitely be a strange feeling and I will really miss Misbah-ul-Haq when I walk onto the field to play the next Test match. Although Misbah-ul-Haq will not be standing at mid-off or in the covers when I come into bowl, I am happy to say that I already have a good understanding with Sarfraz Ahmed. Thankfully with the experience of playing 26 Tests for Pakistan, I have a good understanding of my own field settings and we will all do our best for the country although we will all undoubtedly miss Misbah-ul-Haq.

PakPassion.net: You must have a special bond with Misbah-ul-Haq due to the role he has played in your career in domestic cricket and with the Pakistan team?

Yasir Shah:
    Yes absolutely, Misbah has played an important role in shaping my career. He has been like an elder brother for me and his guidance wasn’t only limited to the time we were all playing cricket but he even took care of all the players like a sibling in matters off the field as well. There were many occasions when we were late coming back to the team hotel and he would sit us down and explain to us in a mature and calm manner about what was expected from us as cricketers. This is the type of guidance I got from him and this is important as younger players can make mistakes, but he handled all of us really well and in such a clam manner.

PakPassion.net: Other players come and go but how badly will Pakistan miss Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan?

Yasir Shah:
    There is no person who can be an exact replacement for both of these great players. One can only hope that some of our up and coming domestic players will rise up and try and fill the gaps left by Younis and Misbah. Whilst there may well be replacement batsmen who can put in good performances in the future, what we will not find is the type of guidance that we took for granted when Misbah and Younis were playing with us. The manner in which they would approach you and the maturity in their advice which would motivate you to perform even better is something that was brilliant. Yes, some other well-performing players may well come onto the scene but there can really be no substitute for the advice Misbah and Younis would give to us at crucial times on the field.

PakPassion.net: What are you looking to gain and achieve from your stint at Kent this summer?

Yasir Shah:
    There is a lot to learn from playing in county cricket and this is the primary reason I am here this summer. In this form of cricket, you have to become independent in the sense that there isn’t too much advice available and you have to take decisions about how you will bowl and have to set the field for your own bowling. Furthermore, as an overseas player, the eyes of the world are upon you to bowl well so that puts added pressure on you and it would be great if I can perform under such conditions. With Pakistan playing two Tests in England next year, I will also be using this opportunity to get more practice in English conditions ahead of the mini-series.

PakPassion.net: I guess given that your bowling will be heavily scrutinised, you won't be revealing all your tricks to the county batsmen?

Yasir Shah:
    As a good professional, I am here to serve the county I am playing for and I will put in my best efforts to help them win games. I have been brought here for a specific purpose and I will do my utmost to put in the performances which will give the best benefit to my team.

PakPassion.net: What were your emotions like when Pakistan won the Champions Trophy?

Yasir Shah:
    As a fellow Pakistani and also someone who has played alongside some of the players, I felt extremely proud of our performance during the Champions Trophy. I had the pleasure to witness live one of the key games which was against Sri Lanka at Cardiff. That game became very tense at one point but we were able to overcome that challenge and proceed to the next stage. I, like many others, wanted our team to be victorious in England and win the Champions Trophy and thanks to the Almighty, we were able to achieve that. What really pleased me was to watch Sarfraz Ahmed captain our team with such confidence in a major tournament and lead his side to victory. He was able to unite the team under his leadership with each member doing their job to the fullest. The bowlers bowled with determination and stuck to the plans provided to them and the batsmen knew their roles and performed really well. I would also like to mention the excellent manner in which the newer players contributed to the cause. This is something which is great news for Pakistan cricket and I feel will bring further success to the country in the future.

PakPassion.net: You must really be impressed with how Shadab Khan has performed recently?

Yasir Shah:
    It’s a matter of great pride for me that there is another leg-spinner in our team who is performing so well. Shadab is an excellent leg-spinner and possesses a lot of variety in his bowling. He has a good googly and can also bowl an excellent flipper and slider too. I know that, because we have both worked and practised together as well. I feel that he will continue to improve further as he plays more matches for Pakistan. What I would recommend he does is to play 4-day games when he goes back to Pakistan so that he can add that experience to his armoury as well. This experience will really help him in playing Test cricket as in the longer form of cricket, you really need a lot of patience to succeed. When Shadab puts in long spells, that will give him a good idea of how to bowl in Tests whenever he plays in that format for Pakistan in the future.

PakPassion.net: You must also be hopeful of selection in the One-Day format in future?

Yasir Shah:
    My objective is to perform well in whichever format I am asked to play in. The idea is to put in my best effort for Pakistan. To achieve that, I will aim to bowl the best I can in every league or domestic tournament so that the selectors can take note and pick me for the national team. It is my wish to make a comeback in the One-Day format and I am trying hard to achieve that aim.

PakPassion.net: Your batting seems to have improved a lot as we have seen recently in international cricket and also for Kent?

Yasir Shah:
    Batting is something I am paying a lot of attention to, and am working hard to improve my skills in this very important part of my game. I am fortunate that the coaches here at Kent have also been working with me on my batting. The advantage of playing county cricket is that you have a lot of time to refine your skills and add to that, you have good coaches and facilities including bowling machines as well. If the weather is not good, then you can still practice indoors on your batting. So, this is a great opportunity for me to work on my batting and I am making full use of this chance.

PakPassion.net: Like Saeed Ajmal in the past, are you also considering working on a mystery delivery to enhance your repertoire?

Yasir Shah:
    At the moment, my emphasis is on making sure that my action is correct but I am also working on improving my googly. In the coming days, hopefully, people will see the results of my hard work as I am practising hard to improve this aspect of my bowling. It's an area of my bowling that I feel I need to improve and I feel that my googly is improving and will continue to get better.

PakPassion.net: What future aims in terms of records or targets have you set for yourself?

Yasir Shah:
    I always have aims for the future in my mind and I also plan how I will achieve those goals. At the moment, on top of my list, is the next Test series which we will play against Sri Lanka in the UAE. But then, I have a goal and a set of aims for each series I play. Of course, the next milestone for me personally is to get to the 200 Test wickets mark and you will see me working hard to achieve that in the future, God Willing.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CT17 win will urge many to work even harder to be a part of the team and achieve many more such glories. It's amazing how a little thing like aggression just changed the look of the murky looking fortunes of the team within no time. It has also created good competition among the players to make it to the 11.Now that competition is percolating into the whole setup which is very good sign for Pak cricket team. There don't seem to be any room for lazy approach now. Now that Pak bench and every aspiring cricketer is determined to work harder than before, it is a dangerous sign for lazy folks like Shehzad and UA and the likes. Hafeez already seems to have fallen in line and working towards a different mindset. Let this keep going guys. This is very exciting.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To become an ATG leg spinner like Warn, Yasir must prove his effectiveness in all three formats. A good bowler should good irrespective of venue and format.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    London, Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Business Recorder, Pakistan's Biggest and the Muslim World's First Financial Daily

Pakistan record breaking leg spinner Yasir Shah, has said that he is pleased with the performance of fellow leggie Shadab Khan calling him an ‘excellent leg-spinner.’

“It’s a matter of great pride for me that there is another leg-spinner in our team who is performing so well. Shadab is an excellent leg-spinner and possesses a lot of variety in his bowling,” said Yasir Shah in an interview to PakPassion.net.

“He has a good googly and can also bowl an excellent flipper and slider too.”

Pakistan fastest bowler to claim 100 wickets in test cricket adviced Shadab to play ‘4-day games’, which will prove crucial ‘in playing Test cricket’.

“What I would recommend he does is to play 4-day games when he goes back to Pakistan so that he can add that experience to his armoury as well.”

“This experience will really help him in playing Test cricket as in the longer form of cricket, you really need a lot of patience to succeed.”

Shah added that playing long spells would help Shadab to have ‘a good idea’ of bowling in Tests for Pakistan.

http://www.brecorder.com/2017/07/17/...o-shadab-khan/

The passion and the flame is ignited, you can't stop us once we light it!

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Personally think Yasir playing ODIs is detrimental to his overall bowling style and game, he should remain focused on playing tests and have a long career in that format as possible. His bowling style and dynamics/field restrictions in ODIS arent suited to his game.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Personally think Yasir playing ODIs is detrimental to his overall bowling style and game, he should remain focused on playing tests and have a long career in that format as possible. His bowling style and dynamics/field restrictions in ODIS arent suited to his game.
    I am sure he understands all what he has and what he needs to work out for a specific type of game. What's the harm if he wants to learn few different things to get himself fit for other side of the spectrum where he has largely been not considered?Sure enough, now with better experience he can test himself in other formats too. He is in a journey and along the way he is learning new things every day so he is better than what he was yesterday. For example just look at his batting now. And from the team's perspective it's always nice to have multiple options.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For various reasons I think it is unlikely he will return to the ODI squad, but there is nothing wrong with him setting himself targets (which should help him to improve regardless of whether he returns or not).

If he does make a return, McCullum showed how to best utilise him in the shorter formats. McCullum set some aggressive fields in the PSL and you could see Yasir took great confidence from that, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4t1_vv2lc

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over rated. We've seen him in Australia get tonked and we've seen how inept he is in white ball cricket. Very likable person though, decent batsman and fielder as well so I also wish him the best. He is a beast when the conditions are suitable for spinners to be fair to him so he's not awful but he is definitely not world class like many posters on here say hence I believe he is over rated. If he was good in Australia I could then say he is world class

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Should stick to tests, where he is a very good bowler.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Over rated. We've seen him in Australia get tonked and we've seen how inept he is in white ball cricket. Very likable person though, decent batsman and fielder as well so I also wish him the best. He is a beast when the conditions are suitable for spinners to be fair to him so he's not awful but he is definitely not world class like many posters on here say hence I believe he is over rated. If he was good in Australia I could then say he is world class
    Shane Warne never did well in India and despite that he is in all time XI of almost every analyst and Abdul Qadir never did well in Australia too. These gentlemen are termed as world class by many. I can take many names who were called world class starting from Richie Benaud to famed Indian quartet to today's spinners who had a jinx somewhere. Indians are already talking about Ashwin as a GOAT when he has been a complete failure outside India, just like Anil Kumble always was and so was Harbhajan Singh, we all know.
    Yasir has played just 26 test with only one tour failure but has been exceptional otherwise and look at his record. He is always improving and will get more opportunities in future including few cracks at Aussies in their backyard and will most probably do well. It doesn't really matter what an individual's opinion is just like you have one.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Harsh comment bro and quite disrespectful to Yasir. Yasir has won us countless games (after only playing 26 tests) and your assessment is that "he's not awful".

In regard to Australia, test cricket for leg spinners and spinners in general is tough going. Aside from 1-2 spinner in history, none have been outstanding. Give Yasir a break.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he may struggle in a post misbah world- misbah captained him beautifully. he needs the arm around the shoulder and is not independent enough to control things.

Lets hope this county stint develops him

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yasir Shah recommends four-day cricket to Shadab Khan

Pakistan’s preferred leg-spinner in Tests, Yasir Shah, believes captain Sarfraz Ahmed’s limited-overs option Shadab Khan needs to play four-day cricket to further master the art of spin bowling.

Yasir, while talking to PakPassion, said Shadab’s variety is great.

“It’s a matter of great pride for me that there is another leg-spinner in our team who is performing so well,” said Yasir. “Shadab is an excellent leg-spinner and possesses a lot of variety in his bowling. He has a good googly and can also bowl an excellent flipper and slider too. I know that because we have both worked and practised together.”

He added that Shadab would improve further but he first needs to learn to be patient and only Test cricket can help him master that skill. “I feel that he will continue to improve further as he plays more matches for Pakistan,” he said. “What I would recommend is that he plays 4-day cricket. This experience will really help him in playing Test cricket, as in the longer format you really need a lot of patience to succeed. Bowling in long spells will provide him with a good idea of how to bowl in Tests.”

'No mystery delivery’

Yasir was former Test captain Misbahul Haq’s main weapon against teams in the fourth innings and the leggie wants to further develop the deliveries in his armoury.

“At the moment, my emphasis is on making sure that my action is correct but I am also working on improving my googly,” said Yasir when asked if he is developing any mystery deliveries. “In the coming days, hopefully, people will see the results of my hard work. I feel that my googly is improving and will continue to get better.”

Targets

The 31-year-old, with his 149 wickets in just 26 Tests, is touted by many greats such as Australian legend Shane Warne to become the longest format’s greatest but Yasir wants to move forward step by step.

“I have aims for the future and plans in place to achieve them,” said Yasir. “At the moment, on top of my list, is the next Test series which we will play against Sri Lanka in the UAE. The next milestone for me personally is to get to the 200 Test wickets mark and you will see me working hard to achieve that in the future.”

ODI future

Yasir has represented Pakistan in just 17 ODIs with only 18 wickets to his name and he thinks he needs to do a lot to enter into contention for the 50-over game once again.

“My objective is to perform well in whichever format I am asked to play in,” he said. “The idea is to put in my best efforts for Pakistan. To achieve that, I will aim to bowl the best I can in every league and domestic tournament so that the selectors can take note and pick me for the national team. It is my wish to make a comeback in the ODI format and I am trying hard to achieve that aim.”

Misbah, Younus irreplaceable

When Pakistan take on Sri Lanka in September one thing they will sure miss is Misbah and veteran batsman Younus Khan and Yasir believes whoever takes their place can never match their grandeur.

“There is no person who can be an exact replacement for both of these great players,” said Yasir. “One can only hope that some of our up and coming domestic players will try and fill the gaps left by Younus and Misbah.”

He added that the duo’s mature presence on the field was unparalleled. “Whilst there may well be replacement batsmen who can put in good performances in the future, what we will not find is the type of guidance that we took for granted when Misbah and Younus were playing with us. The manner in which they would approach you and the maturity in their advice which would motivate you to perform even better is something that was brilliant.”

Source: https://tribune.com.pk/story/1459923...t-shadab-khan/

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't have the variations for odi cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    I think he may struggle in a post misbah world- misbah captained him beautifully. he needs the arm around the shoulder and is not independent enough to control things.

Lets hope this county stint develops him
    I agree in part, but at times Misbah used him a little too defensively in tests (as evidenced in the Australia tour). Shane Warne was so frustrated on commentary with some of the defensive field placings. Obviously it's a different format, but McCullum set some aggressive fields in the PSL and you could see Yasir took great confidence from that, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4t1_vv2lc

With Sarfaraz at captain I am confident we are more likely to see more aggressive fields when Yasir bowls.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    I agree in part, but at times Misbah used him a little too defensively in tests (as evidenced in the Australia tour). Shane Warne was so frustrated on commentary with some of the defensive field placings. Obviously it's a different format, but McCullum set some aggressive fields in the PSL and you could see Yasir took great confidence from that, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4t1_vv2lc

With Sarfaraz at captain I am confident we are more likely to see more aggressive fields when Yasir bowls.
    Absolutely right.

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shadab is an excellent leg-spinner: Yasir Shah

Pakistan’s ace leg-spinner, Yasir Shah is proud of the rookie leggie, Shadab Khan that Pakistan has such a talent in the team and he believes that he will only get better in future.

“It’s a matter of great pride for me that there is another leg-spinner in our team who is performing so well. Shadab is an excellent leg-spinner and possesses a lot of variety in his bowling,’ Shah told PakPassion.

Yasir Shah also advised his young colleague to play as much long format of the cricket as possible as it will give him a better idea of how to bowl in Test cricket and will improve him as a bowler.

“I feel that he will continue to improve further as he plays more matches for Pakistan. What I would recommend he does is to play 4-day games when he goes back to Pakistan so that he can add that experience to his armoury as well,” he further told.

“This experience will really help him in playing Test cricket as in the longer form of cricket, you really need a lot of patience to succeed. When Shadab puts in long spells, that will give him a good idea of how to bowl in Tests whenever he plays in that format for Pakistan in the future,” he went on to say.

Developing googly

Yasir Shah revealed that he is working hard on developing his googly as he believes that it is an aspect of his game that needs improvement.

“At the moment, my emphasis is on making sure that my action is correct but I am also working on improving my googly,” he shared.

“In the coming days, hopefully, people will see the results of my hard work as I am practicing hard to improve this aspect of my bowling. It’s an area of my bowling that I feel I need to improve and I feel that my googly is improving and will continue to get better,” he added.

https://arysports.tv/shadab-is-an-ex...er-yasir-shah/

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see how Yasir copes without Misbah as he has played most of his cricket under Misbah.

As for the Limited-Overs formats - it's a no go at the moment.

Debut
    Mar 2006
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to have gone unnoticed that he has been poor for Kent...his stats are unimpressive. Hasn't won them a single game and his economy has been over 4 an over in some of the 4 day games.

Debut
    Mar 2006
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear that given Pak's 2 test series is in early season English conditions the following summer he will be completely ineffective as he was in New Zealand.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    http://www.cricket.com.au/news/*****...hts/2017-07-20

Ace leg-spinner Yasir Shah has declared his intention to win back his place in Pakistan's Champions Trophy-winning ODI side. Yasir has taken Test cricket by storm since his 2014 debut but hasn't tasted the same success in the 50-over format, claiming just 18 wickets in 17 matches at an average of 42.55.

The 31-year-old was a spectator as Pakistan shocked the cricket world by storming to the Champions Trophy title in June, and has spent the northern summer plying his trade with Kent in the County Championship. Pakistan's spinning spot in the Champions Trophy went to young leg-spinner Shadab Khan, who took four wickets in four matches.

But Yasir is intent on making the position his own. "My objective is to perform well in whichever format I am asked to play in," Yasir told PakPassion. "The idea is to put in my best effort for Pakistan. To achieve that, I will aim to bowl the best I can in every league or domestic tournament so that the selectors can take note and pick me for the national team. "It is my wish to make a comeback in the one-day format and I am trying hard to achieve that aim."

Yasir also said that the absence of retired skipper Misbah-ul-Haq would be sorely felt, given the experience and professionalism he brought to the group. "Misbah has played an important role in shaping my career," he said. "He has been like an elder brother for me and his guidance wasn't only limited to the time we were all playing cricket, but he even took care of all the players like a sibling in matters off the field as well. "There were many occasions when we were late coming back to the team hotel and he would sit us down and explain to us in a mature and calm manner about what was expected from us as cricketers. "This is the type of guidance I got from him and this is important as younger players can make mistakes, but he handled all of us really well and in such a calm manner."

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is my wish to make a comeback in the one-day format: Yasir Shah

Pakistan leg-spinner Yasir Shah has categorically stated that he wants to cement his spot in the one-day set up of the national team. While Yasir has performed well in the longer format of the game, he hasn’t set the stage alight in the ODI format.
    Recognising the importance of the shorter format, Yasir, in an interview to PakPassion, said, “My objective is to perform well in whichever format I am asked to play in. The idea is to put in my best effort for Pakistan. To achieve that, I will aim to bowl the best I can in every league or domestic tournament so that the selectors can take note and pick me for the national team. It is my wish to make a comeback in the one-day format and I am trying hard to achieve that aim.”
    Yasir Shah also recalled the importance of former skipper, Misbah-Ul-Haq and said that he played an important role in shaping his career and was like his elder brother. “Misbah has played an important role in shaping my career,” he said and added, “He has been like an elder brother for me and his guidance wasn’t only limited to the time we were all playing cricket, but he even took care of all the players like a sibling in matters off the field as well. There were many occasions when we were late coming back to the team hotel and he would sit us down and explain to us in a mature and calm manner about what was expected from us as cricketers. This is the type of guidance I got from him and this is important as younger players can make mistakes, but he handled all of us really well and in such a calm manner.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...-shah-4759099/

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Long road for him to get back into the One-Day team.

Several spinners ahead of him and Raza Hasan on his way back also.