Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be wrong in saying he has been our best fielding coach to date. His successor has big boots to fill.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I wonder what was the secret behind him being a successful fielding coach for us compared to someone like Julian Fountain?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I wonder what was the secret behind him being a successful fielding coach for us compared to someone like Julian Fountain?
    Motivated, younger players.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good job by Steve but our improvement in fielding is a complete management effort, not just his. If there was no cultural change, it wouldn't have mattered regardless of Steve's excellence.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    He has done a superb job.

He took no nonsense off the players and made them work hard - it didn't matter if you were a senior or junior, you were made to work.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He has done a superb job.

He took no nonsense off the players and made them work hard - it didn't matter if you were a senior or junior, you were made to work.
    Except for Sarfraz maybe.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Working with Mickey Steve did an amazing job, the fielding has never been better.

Thanks Steve, all the best for the future.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He did a good job. Wish we could have kept him.

Thanks for everything Steve.

Debut
    Jun 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job is an understatement, he has done a better job than could have been expected of him. Lets just hope all his hard work does not go wasted and the next coach and players can maintain the high levels and standards of fielding the team are currently operating at.

Debut
    Jun 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crucial time to loose him in the year running up to the WC, hope we do not drop our standards by then. We was saving a good amount of runs in the field in the champions trophy.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if some routine methods are shared from previous coach to next, esp. in terms of fielding. Why break if something is not broken.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    hold on,

julian fountain
    and grant luden were also priased

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good job but why do people think it’s one person who changes everything lol. It was him and Mickey + management’s no slacking policy.

Debut
    Jun 2005
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Good job but why do people think it’s one person who changes everything lol. It was him and Mickey + management’s no slacking policy.
    Good fair point.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everything. Should improve our fielding in the long term, hopefully he can leave a legacy and has changed the fielding culture in the current team.

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pak is definitely among the best catching sides in the world. Some work is needed to be done for a quicker arm release, especially in the deep. I have observed that we are not as fluid in picking the ball up and releasing it quick with accuracy to be a top fielding side. However, we have made a HUGE progress Vs what we used to be barring a few good fielders in the past.

Kudos to the coaching staff for making us one of the best catching sides and a pretty good overall fielding side. Hopefully we will catch up to the better fielding sides soon.

Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    In your head
    Runs
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Had a hunch Rixon would do wonders with Pakistan. He left a lasting legacy of excellent fielding with the NZ side as well.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka Cricket has announced the appointment of Steve Rixon as the national team’s fielding coach.

The former Australian Cricketer, who has coaching experience behind him, will join with the National team, currently in New Zealand; starting from 24th December. 2018.

“We are happy to welcome Steve into the team. I am sure; he will be able to help the team moving forward, with his expertise in the area of fielding; which is a vital component of the game” said Ashley De Silva, CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket.

Rixon will work with the national team, until the end of the 2019 World Cup.

In the meantime, Manoj Abeywickrema; the current fielding coach of the Sri Lanka team, will be drafted into the High Performance Center to work with the Development Squads.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...g-coach-775321

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sri Lankan fielding is below par at the moment – Steve Rixon

In his first interview since being appointed as Sri Lanka’s Fielding Coach two days ago, Steve Rixon admitted that he will have lot of work to do with the national cricket team in a bid to raise the fielding standards. Tagged the worst fielding team in the world, Sri Lanka have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory due to their poor fielding on several instances. Rixon, who has worked with three international teams before was confident that he will be able to fix the problem.

"I watch a lot of cricket. Sri Lanka’s fielding is very below par at the moment. I would probably say that they are similar to what Pakistan were when I started. We put in quite a lot of hard work with Pakistan and things started changing and they are a competitive fielding side again. The Sri Lankan side has lot of work to do and with commitment we can make things happen," Rixon told The Island.

Rixon was in line to take up as Sri Lanka’s Head Coach on several instances but the deal didn’t go through.

"When they approached me this time, I felt that I still had some juice in the tank and some energy left for an international assignment. Ironically, Sri Lanka had asked me on five different occasions to get involved and do some work. But I had to decline as either I had some contract or there were financial issues. I am happy to get involved with the team and let’s see how it goes. SLC wanted a longer period of commitment, but I said let’s first take it for seven months and then see how it goes."

Rixon, the former New South Wales and Australia wicketkeeper, has been a career coach since he quit playing. In a coaching career spanning for three decades, he has been the Head Coach of New Zealand, New South Wales and Surrey. He has also had a stint with the Australian team as Assistant Coach apart from the Pakistani job.

It was his recent assignment with Pakistan that made people take note. Traditionally not one of the best fielding sides in the world, when Mickey Arthur was appointed as Head Coach of Pakistan one of the first thing he did was to hire Rixon as Fielding Coach. Fielding was one reason why Pakistan went onto win the Champions Trophy last year beating arch-rivals India in London. Pakistan are also world’s number one ranked team in T-20 cricket.

Asked whether less skilful players could become good fielders, Rixon said that fielding excellence depended on the commitment.

"If you are prepared to do the hard work, you will become better. No question about that. Not everyone is athletic. If you do the basic stuff right, you can become a good fielder. That is my philosophy."

One main reason why Sri Lanka has done so poorly in shorter formats of the game is because they are carrying too many poor fielders in the playing eleven. Opposition teams well armed with information about the slow fielders in the side do not hesitate to take chances with the sloppy Sri Lankans.

"To be honest, in modern day cricket there’s nowhere to hide for players who are not good fielders. It becomes a selection issue as well. If there are two players with similar skill levels, one who is the better fielder I am sure will get the nod."

"The players have to be committed to do what the coaches are expecting of them. What worked for us in Pakistan was that we identified that fitness and fielding were two areas where we were so poor. So we put in a huge amount of effort and the results were there to be seen. Whoever who came into the side realized that we give lot of prominence to fielding and that they had to work hard at it," Rixon went onto say.

The Australian will head to New Zealand on the eve of Christmas to join the Sri Lankan team ahead of the second Test in Christchurch that gets underway on Boxing Day.

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_...e_title=195876

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At least he might just get paid on time.

Good luck, Rixy.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post

Good luck, Rixy.
    Wouldn't count on him encountering problems with the Sri Lankan Cricket Board whose financial situation is even far dire than the PCB's which is shocking given that they are able to play consistent international cricket at home, have hosted the 2011 WC at home, have had plenty of home series with India but they are still unable to take on the challenge of hosting a Sri Lankan T-20 league.

The PCB in comparison inspite of all the problems and roadblocks has hosted the PSL 3 seasons in a row, the 4th season is on track and any roadblocks are being managed.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true, SL made money because of Indians, Pakistanis and arab world watching them. There is a reason why SL players make more than Bangladesh players despite Bangladeshi local market being much bigger. Non sri lankans actually liked watching Jayasuriya, Murali, Sangakkara, Mahela and Malinga. Just watch how twitter explodes among Indians when Malinga bowl vs UAE lol. With this current butch, no one cares, they know this SL team isn't worth watching. They don't even put up fights anymore. Not sure why Sony would pay the amount they are paying now down the road.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post

Good luck, Rixy.
    He'll get paid on time for sure. Delay in payment doesn't happen from poverty - even Sierra Leon Soccer Federation is paying their English Coach.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Steve Rixon value is not limited to fielding , he is good enough to be head coach.

PCB made a blunder by letting him go .

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    Steve Rixon value is not limited to fielding , he is good enough to be head coach.

PCB made a blunder by letting him go .
    PCB didn't let him go, he left on his own accord. I am not sure if his greivances are completely genuine because the rest of the other foreign staff seems to be happily working at the NCA, Grant Flower has been working for 4 plus years, Mickey Arthur has been working for 2 plus years and the physios, trainers are working fine.

Sure the PCB is not the perfect organization and there is plenty of improvement to be done, but there are some individuals on this planet who make a big deal out of minor issues and blow a fit. Rixon apparently was also unhappy with the quality of the internet connection at the NCA and the facilities. I am pretty sure the PCB eventually also told him that he is free to leave and work else where if he doesn't like it here because the other foreign staff doesn't seem to be throwing a huge fit so who the heck are you?