Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1092 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Pakistan are the favourites for the 2019 World Cup" : Mohammad Yousuf

Blessed with exceptional batting talent which was complemented by a silken touch, Mohammad Yousuf defied bowling attacks for over 12 years from around the world to score over seventeen thousand effortless runs in 381 appearances for Pakistan. His quest for perfection at the crease also brought him a world record 1788 runs in 11 Tests in 2006, thus confirming his status as one of the best batsmen Pakistan has ever produced.

In an interview, Mohammad Yousuf spoke about his views on what makes Virat Kohli the best modern-day batsmen, the imbalance caused by batsman-friendly match conditions in the shorter formats of the game, why he feels that the bowling attacks he faced were far superior compared to the current ones, Mickey Arthur's influence on Pakistan's recent successes and Pakistan's advantage in bowling that makes them firm favourites for lifting the 2019 World Cup.

PakPassion.net: There is a consensus that modern-day batsmen have it easy compared to previous generations?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    I think it's unfair to compare different eras in cricket. I keep seeing people comparing batting in the 2000s with how it was in the 1990s or 1980s or even earlier and I just don't get how people can make those comparisons when so many things have changed in cricket across all of the formats.

PakPassion.net: Who do you rate as the best modern-day batsman?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    Virat Kohli is a batsman who I rate very highly. He's in a different class compared to other batsmen of the modern era. Rohit Sharma, Joe Root, Steve Smith and Kane Williamson are also very high-class batsmen. Whilst these four are a cut above the rest due to their performances and class, it is Virat Kohli who I believe the rest should aim to copy.

PakPassion.net: What do you feel makes Virat Kohli the great batsman that he is?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    He is the complete package when it comes to batting. His aggression is second to none, it's as though he has a fast-bowler's aggression and mentality even though he's a batsman. But what really makes him stand out from the rest is his fitness. I have never seen any Asian cricketer achieve the levels of fitness that Virat Kohli has. He's the world's top batsman, he has proven his ability, he has been consistent and he has scored all of those runs not through luck, but due to sheer hard work, determination and dedication. Look at his record and his statistics and those numbers don't lie, they confirm what a world-class performer he is. But he has also proved that he is mentally tough, he has confidence in his own ability and it's very rare that he is out for a low score and that is the mark of a great player.

PakPassion.net: Do you think there is a danger that twenty over cricket is damaging the technique of some batsmen?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    I'm a firm believer that if you are good enough then you should be able to play in any format. The best batsmen adjust their technique and mindset to the format that they are playing in. I give the example of Joe Root, Steve Smith and Virat Kohli who all have shown that they have the technique and the ability to succeed in any format and that is the mark of a great player. Then there are the likes of Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul and Shikhar Dhawan who have also shown that they have the pedigree to succeed in all three formats. It all depends on whether a batsman can switch on, and then switch and adjust to the relevant format.

PakPassion.net: Batting records seem to be broken at will these days in limited-overs formats. Do you think the modern-game is too batting-friendly?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this and it's something that is clearly evident when you watch a lot of cricket these days. Two balls being used in the 50-over format, a limit on the number of bouncers per over and also some ridiculously small boundaries make for very batting-friendly conditions. This is something that cricket administrators need to address as I feel that the game is just becoming one that is totally in favour of batsmen and there is nothing left in it for bowlers.

PakPassion.net: You are a cricketer who faced some of the world's best bowlers during your playing days. But what do you make of the standard of modern-day bowlers?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    I believe that in the 1990s and up to the mid 2000s we saw some of the all-time great bowlers. It was an era that was blessed with great spinners and a fantastic array of quick bowlers and when I say quick bowlers, I mean genuinely fast-bowlers, not your medium-fast bowlers that many are nowadays trying to label as pace bowlers. In that era Australia had one of the best bowling attacks of all time, the West Indies were still a major force with some all-time legendary bowlers, Sri Lanka had Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas, Pakistan had Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar, Saqlain Mushtaq and plenty of other excellent bowlers. Likewise, South Africa had Shaun Pollock, Allan Donald, Lance Klusener and Jacques Kallis at their disposal. It was an era where no team had a weak bowling attack and in fact nearly all of the teams had high-quality spinners and world-class pace-bowlers and I simply do not see that in the current modern teams. Yes, you have some good bowlers, but there are no bowling attacks that are on a par with the bowling attacks I have mentioned. I only see Mitchell Starc as the best bowler at the moment, but James Anderson is not the bowler he once was and I think he has deteriorated as a bowler in the last two or three years and is past his best. You can currently count on one hand the names of genuine world-class bowlers and that is a concern. One or two good bowlers don't make a good bowling attack and that is why there can be no comparison between modern international bowling attacks and those from 1990s and up to the mid 2000s.

PakPassion.net: Do you think bowling talent is suffering due to many bowlers prioritising twenty-over cricket over the longer formats?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    Cricket has become very commercial, hasn't it? We have over 400 runs in ODIs in an innings which is just ludicrous, with conditions and rules favouring batsmen; it's almost as if the people running cricket just want to see more and more runs. Perhaps it's the pressure from sponsors, or it's the companies buying the television rights who just want to see lots of fours and sixes and the ball disappearing into the crowd regularly. When you are seeing scores of 450 plus in a 50-over innings and a player scoring 172 in a T20I innings then there is definitely an imbalance and it needs addressing. With what's happening currently, I'm not surprised that more and more bowlers are concentrating on reducing their workload and many just focusing on the shorter formats and who can blame them.

PakPassion.net: What can be done in your opinion to address the imbalance between bat and ball in modern-day cricket?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    Well the issue needs to be recognised first. The fans can see what is happening, the experts can see it, the media can see what's going on, but until the powers-that-be recognise the issue then nothing will happen. I look at the 1992 and 1999 World Cup tournaments as competitions where there was an even battle between bat and ball and I believe that the fans thoroughly enjoyed both tournaments. Skill-levels are reducing and the quality of players is diminishing due to flat tracks found in today's game and rule changes that are totally in favour of batsmen. The authorities need to address this issue before fans become bored of these seemingly endless one-sided cricket matches.

PakPassion.net: Looking ahead to the 2019 World Cup, which teams do you feel are genuine contenders to lift the trophy?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    Three teams are genuine contenders in my opinion. The last two Champions Trophy tournaments have been won by India and Pakistan respectively and I believe that both of these teams have the ability to win the World Cup. I think spinners will play a key role and both India and Pakistan have fantastic spin options. India has a wonderful array of batting talent but I think there are some doubts over their bowlers particularly their pace bowlers as was evident in the recent One-Day series against England.

Coming to the hosts, I feel that England will have home advantage and they are looking formidable at the moment in One-Day cricket and they will be a force at the World Cup. The only other team that may stand an outside chance is Australia but they really need to get all of their man players back from bans, from injuries and then firing on all cylinders. If you have players like David Warner, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood at your disposal then you may have a chance, but the fact is that Australia look a pale shadow of the team they once were.

PakPassion.net: If you had to pick a favourite for the 2019 World Cup then which team would it be?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    I think Pakistan are the favourites and I say that because I feel they have the best bowling attack particularly on flat tracks. When I say best, I mean they have the best-balanced attack and an attack which has the ability to take wickets regularly and not let the opposition settle. Another key factor is that Pakistan will not be relying on part-time bowlers, they have 6 or 7 genuine bowlers in the team and that is something that not many of the teams participating at the World Cup will have at their disposal. Also, on the sort of flat tracks that will be available in England at that time, the team with the best bowling attack will succeed and I believe that bowling attack belongs to Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: There were doubts over Mickey Arthur when he was chosen as Pakistan Head Coach, but he has proved the critics wrong, hasn't he?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    When a team is winning, then everything is rosy in the garden. At the end of the day any coach wants the team to succeed and he will only try to improve the players individually and the team as a group. The performance and results come from the players, not the coach. The Head Coach's role is just to fine-tune the players, to create a strategy, to improve the tactics and to knit the group together and unite the squad. I think the likes of Azhar Mahmood deserve a lot of credit for the upturn in form for Pakistan as he is a very positive individual and he has played a lot of cricket around the world, and he is passing on that experience to the players which can only be a good thing for Pakistan cricket.

PakPassion.net: When are we going to get the best out of Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    The only people who can answer that question are Umar and Ahmed themselves. I don't think we should worry about these two at the moment especially with the team doing so well and I believe that is due to the edge in bowling we have over many teams.

PakPassion.net: Pakistan cricket is on a high with many young cricketers settling nicely into international cricket. What do you feel has caused this positivity?

Mohammad Yousuf:
    The youngsters have to take credit for the feel-good factor in Pakistan cricket. From the Champions Trophy till now, there have been some fantastic performances from the younger members of the team. In addition, I think Mohammad Amir deserves a lot of praise for his efforts since his return to international cricket. He has had to face a lot of criticism but he's a big-match player and a bowler who can single-handedly win matches for his country. Cricketers such as Shadab Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Babar Azam, Hasan Ali and Faheem Ashraf have come through and this could potentially become a golden generation for Pakistan in terms of Limited-Overs cricket. However, I feel that these youngsters do need some senior players around to guide them and one of those senior players who I feel should still be around in the 50-over format is Azhar Ali especially in English conditions for the 2019 World Cup.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my all time favourite cricketers- used to love watching him bat. Don't think there has been as classy a batsmen as him since he retired.

If the PCB had any sense they would help him to get his coaching qualifications and then have him as a coach at the NCA to work with young up-and-coming talent.

Coming to the interview, most of what he says is pretty sensible and insightful, particularly his comments about the standard of modern-day bowlers.

That said, it's a shame he doesn't give Mickey more credit and I disagree with him re Azhar Ali.

All in all great interview @Saj, I hope his interviews become a regular feature.
    Last edited by mak36; 6th August 2018 at 23:18.

Debut
    May 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rare positivity from MY

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with his comments on coaching. Think players give credit to Mickey when it's not down to him. Mickey doesn't pick the squad, yet people credit him over Inzi who does. If we're looking at form, that's down to the players, even perhaps the bowling/batting coaches which work more closely with the players in terms of practice.

Head coach has more of a role in overall team tactics and strategy, as Yousuf put it fine tuning and knitting the group together. And there's quite a few instances where Mickey has got things horribly wrong with team tactics, particularly in tests and has quite a few times selected the wrong players before eventually trying out the rest of the squad and getting it right (Fakhar and Haris both examples of this, were picked eventually after many repeated failures by players in the team).

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting interview. Its amazing how he admires Indian players, particularly Kohli.

I agree with the poster above, Mickey has had quite a few blunders in test cricket, one of the biggest being playing a lone spin bowler in both UAE tests against Sri Lanka (despite Sarfraz reportedly pushing for it as well) and persisting with Shan Masood and M Hafeez in England tests

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey is the best thing that has happened to Pakistan this Decade! anybody who doesn't recognise that must have personal agenda or jealousy against him.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good comments by Yousuf

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    One of my all time favourite cricketers- used to love watching him bat. Don't think there has been as classy a batsmen as him since he retired.

If the PCB had any sense they would help him to get his coaching qualifications and then have him as a coach at the NCA to work with young up-and-coming talent.

Coming to the interview, most of what he says is pretty sensible and insightful, particularly his comments about the standard of modern-day bowlers.

That said, it's a shame he doesn't give Mickey more credit and I disagree with him re Azhar Ali.

All in all great interview @Saj, I hope his interviews become a regular feature.
    He needs to do these things himself, like Azhar or Yasir Arafat have done. I don't think he's a guy who can be a good coach as there's a lot of ego in him and he doesn't believe in coaching as he has given no credit to Mickey

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    643 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    our batting is no where near strong enough in ODIs to be considered one of the favorites.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Good interview other than calling us favorites for the World Cup. Utter nonsense.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview by Yousuf.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We aren't the favourites for the world cup it's England and we don't need Azhar Ali or another so called experienced players to guide the youngsters.

Experience being vital is 1 of the biggest myths in Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is a strong contender for the TOP 4. If they can make the top 4, then Pakistan have it in them to even clear the last hurdle. In other words, Pakistan should take one game at a time and, aim for the top 4 first.

Ideal and realistic XI should / would be

01.Sahibzada Farhan / Imam Ul Haq |
    (give opportunities to both in the upcoming series)
    02.Fakhar Zaman
    03.Babar Azam
    04.Shoaib Malik
    05.Sarfraz Ahmed + *
    06.Asif Ali
    07.Shadab Khan
    08.Imad Wasim / Faheem Ashraf |
    (based on opposition)
    09.Hassan Ali
    10.Muhammad Amir
    11.Usman Khan

12.Imam Ul Haq / Sahibzada Farhan
    13.Haris Sohail
    14.Faheem Ashraf / Imad Wasim
    15.Junaid / Shaheen (if he can be groomed in this short period)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview... until he mentioned that Azhar Ali still needs to be around.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Good interview other than calling us favorites for the World Cup. Utter nonsense.
    With the current crop of players, how do you see Pakistan performing at the WC? Top 4 or no?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I think, he has explained the reason perfectly. In these Chuck Norris style cricket, 50 overs of bowling is going to determine big ties, KO games. Even for Poms, recently they won the 3rd ODI based on a firey opening spell by Wood and very good control by Adil in middle overs. This is probably the most open WC since 1975 (when everyone was almost unknown), therefore you can pick any of 3/4 teams as favorite and perfectly back that. Or other way - you can explain quite easily why early fan favorites ENG, IND or PAK won't win it. If PAK can find a new ball partner for Amir, and batsmen don't bolt it horribly - it's indeed possible in such a long tournament, which gives slow starting teams time to recover. Fielding is better than most part of PAK history, and these days WK's role isn't much tougher than 1st base man - if Sarfraz can reduce weight a bit in next 12 months, he can manage ODI keeping; you don't need Latif to keep in ODIs, where 300+ is par and less than 5% ball comes to WK.

Normally, batting takes longer time to adjust in a given condition - more than skills or mental strength, PAK batsmen suffer mostly from lack of proper preparation and tougher contest - be it domestics or Internationals. Recently, Gavaskar is crying for couple of less FC games in preparation, because IND batsmen couldn't chase 468 at the expense of 20 wickets, when entire Indian batting line up was in UK for best part of 2 months for LO cricket, A team or County commitments - it's actually that tough, and he is partially right. Now, put IND batsmen to bat in AUS/SAF/ENG once in a decade after a 3 day show where 18 plays & 11 fields, or ENG/AUS to play same in BD or AFG against the spinners - you'll see how wonderful their batting class is. Also remember - IND A team travels to SAF/AUS/ENG almost twice every year - last I believe PAK A played a game against mighty ZIM 2 years back.......... 9 games preliminary rounds (& 5 ODI just before WC), is enough time for batsmen to adjust - batting won't be a big deal if selection is does on merit, neither fielding as long as Arthur isn't called upon to go "soft".

If your 50 bowling overs are solid, just about couple of in form batsmen can win a WC, because you are never out of the game even with a score of 230 (170 in 1980-90's context). before Arthur/Sarfraz, a major issue in PAK batting (which made it like beggars from poor-men), is lots of selfishness - batsmen holding key spots played entirely for personal gain and maintain an acceptable stats to keep them afloat. Being selfish, I don't mean only batting slowly - rather not batting to the requirement; in that regard, I'll say Afridi is one of the most selfish batsman I have ever seen - he knew couple of slog swings will keep his mojo flowing ....... Without that, even 2011-2015 era batting lineup wasn't that horrible, what we saw.

It's possible - in any case, only few contenders, so anyone can pick a favorite among those few. Cricket is not like soccer that 4 defending champs won't make the 2nd round in 4 years time.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamPak95 View Post
    With the current crop of players, how do you see Pakistan performing at the WC? Top 4 or no?
    I agree with a lot of what @MMHS said, but because of my tendency to look at the half empty of a glass and because of my bias against Pakistan (or I am told), I don’t back this team to come out on top in a round-robin format.

Pakistan is usually at its best when a burst of 2-3 matches can win them the tournament; that is why the Champions Trophy format suits us and that is why we have often done well in 3 match series, from beating the ATG Australian team in Australia in 2002 to winning series in India and South Africa when were at our lowest ebb in ODIs.

In round-robin format, with 9 group games, it is indeed possible to go all the way if a team goes on a burst at the business end of the tournament, after all, you can have a 4/9 finish but it will all come down to having 2 wins on the trot.

However, I feel that the odds of Pakistan going on a Champions Trophy 2017 style run at the business end of the World Cup next year are quite low.

Fatigue, potential injuries and perhaps the scars of some defeats will probably take its toll on the team and I think they will run out of gas.

Considering England and India are guaranteed to make the Semifinals, I think it is very much possible that we might miss out on a Semifinal spot itself.

Nonetheless, I hope for the best and I will be happy to be criticized if we win the tournament.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Asad Shafiq??

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we chase 330 against a couple of top bowling sides, then I will say we are ready. I know we don't get the chance to do this much because our bowling is quite hot but still!?

Also I don't see the 6 or 7 full time bowlers. Those were the days where hafeez was a lock for 10

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with a lot of what @MMHS said, but because of my tendency to look at the half empty of a glass and because of my bias against Pakistan (or I am told), I don’t back this team to come out on top in a round-robin format.

Pakistan is usually at its best when a burst of 2-3 matches can win them the tournament; that is why the Champions Trophy format suits us and that is why we have often done well in 3 match series, from beating the ATG Australian team in Australia in 2002 to winning series in India and South Africa when were at our lowest ebb in ODIs.

In round-robin format, with 9 group games, it is indeed possible to go all the way if a team goes on a burst at the business end of the tournament, after all, you can have a 4/9 finish but it will all come down to having 2 wins on the trot.

However, I feel that the odds of Pakistan going on a Champions Trophy 2017 style run at the business end of the World Cup next year are quite low.

Fatigue, potential injuries and perhaps the scars of some defeats will probably take its toll on the team and I think they will run out of gas.

Considering England and India are guaranteed to make the Semifinals, I think it is very much possible that we might miss out on a Semifinal spot itself.

Nonetheless, I hope for the best and I will be happy to be criticized if we win the tournament.
    If Pakistan do end up making the semis then the most predictable way, based on your comments, would be after losing their games to ENG, AUS and IND, they'd comeback with wins against NZ and SA (plus beating the teams they are expected too). For now, in terms of determining whether they are capable of winning consistently in the WC, these upcoming series' will give us a better idea as most, if not, all of them are against good teams.

In regards to fatigue, I feel it really depends on how the team's WC campaign is going. For example, it'd be pretty bad if Pakistan lose 3 of the first 5 games with, let's say, Amir or Hasan getting fatigued and not being able to play the rest of the games; whereas, let's say, Pakistan win their first 5 games emphatically then they can have the luxury of resting one of Amir or Hasan for a game or 2. Potential injuries could happen to anyone, so you can't really go beyond that. And for defeats against certain teams, yes that can totally take it's toll; case in point, if Pakistan lose to India again. However, even if they do, I think with a guy like Mickey Arthur as their coach, they'll be able to get over it quickly and get on with future games (as evident in CT17). Overall though factors such as fatigue, potential injuries and scarring defeats can have their effects to all of the teams, not just Pakistan.

With the current set up Pakistan have so far, I feel they should be able to make the semis. I expect them to beat WI, SL, AFG, and BAN + I believe they can at least get 2 wins from the games against ENG, AUS, IND, SA, NZ.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan have one HUGE advantage!

They wont be playing the IPL before the World Cup.

Eavh and every player who takes part in the IPL, which is ust before the World cup wont be at their prime fitness, and many of them will surely have obtained injuries of various levels.

Pakistani team will be the only one fresh and this will be a HUGE advantage!

Mark my Words!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think England at home will start as favorites. Pakistan will have a really good chance provided the team keeps improving, the chance of Pakistan winning will be about same as India and Aus.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A SF would be a great achievement. The team only has only one quality ODI Batsman in Zaman and a couple of solid players like Babar. You dont win WC with this sort of batting unless you have a lot of luck.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    A SF would be a great achievement. The team only has only one quality ODI Batsman in Zaman and a couple of solid players like Babar. You dont win WC with this sort of batting unless you have a lot of luck.
    Both Fakhar and Babar are quality

If those two along with Asif Ali fire, the World Cup is ours.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Both Fakhar and Babar are quality

If those two along with Asif Ali fire, the World Cup is ours.
    FZ is class, Babar is decent and the rest? If we had to chase 300 and FZ gets out early, do you trust the others?

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FZ is class, Babar is decent and the rest? If we had to chase 300 and FZ gets out early, do you trust the others?
    Babar can anchor the innings and we have good batting depth, so yes.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely a contender but I don't see them as favorites tbh.

But squad much stronger than the one in 2015 WC.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1092 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yousuf: Pakistan are favourites for Cricket World Cup 2019

Pakistan great Mohammad Yousuf has named his former side as favourites to win the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

Yousuf, who played at three World Cups for his country - including the last time it was held in England and Wales in 1999 – sees Pakistan as genuine challengers next year.

The former Pakistan captain believes the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 winners have the best bowling attack to deal with conditions in England and Wales.

“I think Pakistan are the favourites,” he told PakPassion. “I say that because I feel they have the best bowling attack, particularly on flat tracks.

“When I say best, I mean they have the best-balanced attack. An attack which can take wickets regularly and not let the opposition settle.

“Another key factor is that Pakistan will not be relying on part-time bowlers, they have six or seven genuine bowlers in the team and that is something that not many of the teams participating at the World Cup will have at their disposal.

“On the sort of flat tracks that will be available in England at that time, the team with the best bowling attack will succeed. I believe that bowling attack belongs to Pakistan.”

While India have three batsmen in the top ten of the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI Batting Rankings – Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan – Yousuf fears their bowling attack may prove to be their downfall at the World Cup.

“The last two Champions Trophy tournaments have been won by India and Pakistan respectively and I believe that both of these teams have the ability to win the World Cup.

“India has a wonderful array of batting talent, but I think there are some doubts over their bowlers, particularly their pace bowlers as was evident in the recent one-day series against England.”

Given their status as the No. 1 side in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI Teams Rankings, it’s no surprise Yousuf also sees England as a major threat.

“Coming to the hosts, I feel that England will have home advantage and they are looking formidable at the moment in one-day cricket, and they will be a force at the World Cup,” he added.

“The only other team that may stand an outside chance is Australia but they really need to get all of their main players back from bans, from injuries and then firing on all cylinders.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/798738
    Last edited by UN talkz; 10th August 2018 at 10:12.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Counting Chickens before they hatch ??? Not good !!!!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This has to be the first time I've read or seen a positive interview from Yousuf

It's hard to believe that it's really him

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadevdesai View Post
    Counting Chickens before they hatch ??? Not good !!!!
    What counting chickens?

It's just an opinion. It's not like he is saying Pakisfan are the best and will win the WC

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PP experts talking about fatigue of Amir and Hasan as if the other team's pacers will be running on nitrous

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big question is who will win 2023 WC??

Winner of 2019 WC is already decided and is certain to win it.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuskash View Post
    The big question is who will win 2023 WC??

Winner of 2019 WC is already decided and is certain to win it.
    Honestly both WC's are Bangladesh's to lose. I don't see anyone stopping the nagin dancing tigers.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview barring the comments on Anderson and Pakistan being favourites for the world cup.

They definitely possess one of the best bowling attacks but the pace attack will be no match to Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood until they find a very good pacer to open with Amir. Junaid Khan, Shinwari and Raees are not the answer. Shaheen on the other hand has all the ingredients to be a seriously good fast bowler and would be the ideal bowling partner to Amir but it seems Pakistan are reluctant to play him in the bilaterals. If he can start playing, I feel he will be ready to assert himself in the world cup.

As for the batting it is a one man batting unit which relies far too heavily on Fakhar Zaman than what India does on Kohli because unlike Pakistan they still have the likes of Dhawan and etc. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but we must not forget had FZ got out to Bumrah in the first few overs it was game over for Pakistan.

Babar Azam doesn't instil much confidence because of his lack of intent and his SR has been decreasing against the top sides. In his first 2 ODI series against England (UAE) and New Zealand (in NZ), he was striking between 93-95, that has now come down drastically since then; in Australia it was 82, in the whitewash series he averaged 6 (@ SR: 40) and of most relevance, his stats in England (7 ODIs) suggest he will struggle in next year's WC - Averaging 29 @ SR of 76 without a half century, but I hope I'm wrong for the greater good of the team's WC campaign.

He's been playing in ODIs for 3 years now but his intent is the reason why he struggles in high run chases as evident from that useless ton he scored in Australia where he played a Misbah-esque innings upto the 50 runs mark, racking up the run rate required from 7 to 10. I don't pay attention to soft runs against the likes of SL, WI and etc, so for this reason his number 1 T20I ranking is misleading. If he had a good record in England at least then I may have held a bit more optimism.

I rate Asif Ali but we will have a better idea of his ability when he plays ODIs against Australia, New Zealand and SA in the next 6 months or so to come.

Shoaib Malik, Imam and Sarfraz will be liabilites in this batting side. Faheem is massively overrated on here without a single notable knock in LOIs, in fact it wouldn't suprise me if Hasan Ali was to score more runs than him.
    Last edited by topspin; 10th August 2018 at 09:05.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    How so? You're one team who does really well in the UK.

India are too reliant on their top 3, England are darpoks and whereas Aus will just be getting Smith and Warner back.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pak one of the contenders but not outright favs.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Honestly both WC's are Bangladesh's to lose. I don't see anyone stopping the nagin dancing tigers.
    Nice one, I really want Bang to win. Just want to develop some guts to face their fans after that.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Surrey
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan have a decent record in England

Batting is still iffy and unpredictable though. middle order is weak and inconsistent imo

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    863 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZulfi View Post
    Pakistan have a decent record in England

Batting is still iffy and unpredictable though. middle order is weak and inconsistent imo
    Every team has its pros and cons.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan favourites for the World Cup, Jimmy Anderson’s bowling has declined over the last three years? Not sure how much cricket he has been watching.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghans looking good, Bangladesh are decent India are dangerous iff the matches are played on a road. With some magic Pakistan could do it.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Yorker View Post
    Afghans looking good, Bangladesh are decent India are dangerous iff the matches are played on a road. With some magic Pakistan could do it.
    MoYo is talking about World Cup not Asia Cup

Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the 10 teams I don't think the West Indies, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka will have the players to make the semifinals, although they could all cause upset wins. That leaves 6 teams (Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, and South Africa) to make the semifinals. All these 6 teams have matchwinners, so it depends who plays best in the semis and final.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are under estimating Pakistani batting mark my word. Pakistan will have best preparation before world cup. They will be playing best 4 ODI team NZ in oct, SA in Dec/Jan, 5 ODI's vs AUS in March and 5 ODI's vs ENG before some practice and side matches. They will be in ENG 2-3 weeks before actual playing their first game.

I feel Malik will play pivotal role and prove his importance. Pitches will be dry and won't offer much to the bowler, unless if it's overcast and moist in the air. In these condition all the batsmen including Pakistan will face problem.