Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    126,551
    Mentioned
    2381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    Steve Waugh was the most selfish player I ever played with: Shane Warne

    Cruel memories of the 1999 Test against West Indies for which he was axed are still fresh in former Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne’s mind. In fact, Warne revealed that he felt, “totally let down” by Australia’s then captain Steve Waugh when he was dropped from the playing XI for the fourth Test.

    Warne also termed his captain as “the most selfish player I ever played with, and was only worried about averaging 50″.

    During their tour of the Caribbean, Waugh was appointed Test captain and Warne as his deputy. Australia won the first Test by 312 runs, but Brian Lara’s sublime centuries in the next two ensured West Indies stormed back. West Indies were leading 2-1 into the final Test in Antigua. Warne’s figures in the first three Tests were a poor two wickets at 134.00.

    In an extract from his book, Warne describes how the selection meeting panned out before the final Test.

    “I was vice-captain and bowling pretty ordinary and Tugga [Waugh] opened the selection meeting between the two of us and Geoff Marsh, the coach, by saying, ‘Warney, I don’t think you should play this next Test.’

    “Silence. ‘Er, right,’ I said. ‘Why?’ ‘I don’t think you’re bowling very well, mate.’ ‘Yes… fair call,’ I admitted. ‘My shoulder [after surgery] is taking longer than I thought but it’s close now. The feel is slowly coming back and then the rhythm will come, mate. I’m not worried.’”

    Warne wrote that he found support in Allan Border, who was part of the selection committee at that time. “I back Warney every time. The situation is made for him. Anyway, we owe him. Think of what he’s done for Australian cricket. We need to show faith,” Warne wrote.

    Warne wrote that Waugh was adamant that he has to be dropped. “No, I appreciate your thoughts, AB, but Warney’s not playing. I’m going with my gut here. Sorry, guys.”

    Australia squared the series, but not without a disappointed Warne. “Disappointed is not a strong enough word. When the crunch came Tugga didn’t support me, and I felt so totally let down by someone who I had supported big time and was also a good friend,” he wrote.

    “I conducted myself badly, to be honest. I wasn’t that supportive of the team, which I regret. Looking back, this was probably a combination of the shoulder issue still eating away at me and the pure anger bubbling inside at Steve’s lack of trust.

    “During the first three Tests, at various times some of the bowlers came to me, grumbling about Tugga’s captaincy and field placements and stuff. I said I was backing him to the hilt and if they had a problem with the captain they should go see him direct. Perhaps because of this, I was deeply disappointed that he didn’t back me in return.”

    https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...e-warne-751200


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    15,887
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Cruel memories of the 1999 Test against West Indies for which he was axed are still fresh in former Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne’s mind. In fact, Warne revealed that he felt, “totally let down” by Australia’s then captain Steve Waugh when he was dropped from the playing XI for the fourth Test.

    Warne also termed his captain as “the most selfish player I ever played with, and was only worried about averaging 50″.

    During their tour of the Caribbean, Waugh was appointed Test captain and Warne as his deputy. Australia won the first Test by 312 runs, but Brian Lara’s sublime centuries in the next two ensured West Indies stormed back. West Indies were leading 2-1 into the final Test in Antigua. Warne’s figures in the first three Tests were a poor two wickets at 134.00.

    In an extract from his book, Warne describes how the selection meeting panned out before the final Test.

    “I was vice-captain and bowling pretty ordinary and Tugga [Waugh] opened the selection meeting between the two of us and Geoff Marsh, the coach, by saying, ‘Warney, I don’t think you should play this next Test.’

    “Silence. ‘Er, right,’ I said. ‘Why?’ ‘I don’t think you’re bowling very well, mate.’ ‘Yes… fair call,’ I admitted. ‘My shoulder [after surgery] is taking longer than I thought but it’s close now. The feel is slowly coming back and then the rhythm will come, mate. I’m not worried.’”

    Warne wrote that he found support in Allan Border, who was part of the selection committee at that time. “I back Warney every time. The situation is made for him. Anyway, we owe him. Think of what he’s done for Australian cricket. We need to show faith,” Warne wrote.

    Warne wrote that Waugh was adamant that he has to be dropped. “No, I appreciate your thoughts, AB, but Warney’s not playing. I’m going with my gut here. Sorry, guys.”

    Australia squared the series, but not without a disappointed Warne. “Disappointed is not a strong enough word. When the crunch came Tugga didn’t support me, and I felt so totally let down by someone who I had supported big time and was also a good friend,” he wrote.

    “I conducted myself badly, to be honest. I wasn’t that supportive of the team, which I regret. Looking back, this was probably a combination of the shoulder issue still eating away at me and the pure anger bubbling inside at Steve’s lack of trust.

    “During the first three Tests, at various times some of the bowlers came to me, grumbling about Tugga’s captaincy and field placements and stuff. I said I was backing him to the hilt and if they had a problem with the captain they should go see him direct. Perhaps because of this, I was deeply disappointed that he didn’t back me in return.”

    https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...e-warne-751200
    Not selfish.

    Highly professional.

    He wanted to win at any cost and if Warne not bowling well was a hindrance, he chose to drop him. He would have dropped anyone if he thought it would make Australia win.

    In hindsight, it was a smashing decision as Australia squared the series.

    Warnie is just being a bit sensitive here.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  3. #3
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    12,851
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warne has always hated Steve Waugh. Not surprised by his claim

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    910
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warne's ego cant take he was dropped.Warne was a great bowler,but also a tad overhyped.
    Sachin,laxman,dravid,ganguly,azhar,sehwag and sidhu used to make mincemeat out of him whenever we played.Especially sidhu and tendu treated him like a gully bowler.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,109
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love both players but I think Warne has a personal issue with Waugh. Waugh doesn't talk about it often but Warne has often slagged Waugh off.

    Steve Waugh is far from a selfish cricketer. He is one of the most gutiest cricketers to play the game.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    17,958
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I thought that Waugh was a great player and this nonsense by Warne is complete rubbish. It was Waughs runs on many occasions that allowed Warne to bowl to attacking fields and when the runs werent on the board as in WI in 1998, Warne was toast. The bitterness of being dropped in 98 in the Windies still hurts him.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    3,609
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's said this before on reality TV

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    252
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warne is an absolute legend, no doubt about it but he's also a massive tool, how can he still be bitter about it boggles my mind. He should do some introspection first considering AUS won the match and squared the series after selecting Macgill over him.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    1,638
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing to see that even after all those indifference's, they behaved like true pros and gave it their all on the field. Warne even disliked gilly, but both performed brilliantly together.

    On one hand you have professionals like them and on the other hand we unfortunately have players that took oath on Quran and deliberately under-performed to undermine a certain captain

    Come to think of, This under performing tactic actually started right after IK left cricket. We desperately need a strong leader like IK and Waugh, true geniuses, both demanded and earned respect from players.


    PAKISTAN

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    38,347
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There seem to be two major groups of Aussie cricketer.

    The first is the quieter, classier, hard-working “team before individual” type who just wants to get on with the job in hand and deliver results for Australian cricket - like Adam Gilchrist, Justin Langer and Steve Waugh. They are respected by fans around the world.

    The second type sadly seems to be slightly more common. They take a particular dislike to the first type and are generally known for their playboy profiles, lager lout behaviour, dressing room cliquishness and “lads about the town, what happens on tour stays on tour” attitude. As much as I rate Shane Warne as a cricketer, he definitely belongs in this group, along with equivalent oafs like Andrew Symonds and David Warner.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    4,823
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was any cricketer I liked from Australia, it had to be Steve Waugh. The way he played the game, the way he conducted himself during adversary, the way he strategized. Top class.

    Because of people like Warne (over rated, egotistic) and Allen Border (most selfish cricket player ever to wear a baggy green hat) Waugh's image is tarnished every now and then.
    Last edited by BD-fan; 1st October 2018 at 21:30.


    Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,722
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It worked out in the end, did it not?

    Warne was dropped for the Fourth Test which the Australians won and thus retained the Frank-Worell Trophy.

    The leg-spinner then went through the first time in his career doubts about his abilities.

    Which culminated in the Semi-Finals and then Finals of the 1999 World Cup.

    Who did Waugh turn to break the SA partnership of 48-0 in 12 overs chasing 214 on a non-turning cold Edgbaston wicket?

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    8,046
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    There seem to be two major groups of Aussie cricketer.

    The first is the quieter, classier, hard-working “team before individual” type who just wants to get on with the job in hand and deliver results for Australian cricket - like Adam Gilchrist, Justin Langer and Steve Waugh. They are respected by fans around the world.

    The second type sadly seems to be slightly more common. They take a particular dislike to the first type and are generally known for their playboy profiles, lager lout behaviour, dressing room cliquishness and “lads about the town, what happens on tour stays on tour” attitude. As much as I rate Shane Warne as a cricketer, he definitely belongs in this group, along with equivalent oafs like Andrew Symonds and David Warner.
    Isn't that every team?

    England has had their share of Collingoowd vs Flintoff for example

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    13,907
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He was selfish may be that's why he became the captain.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    28,319
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm.

    There was an occasion where he seemed more interested in scoring a ton than protecting the tail and Engkand snatched a test win.

    On the other hand he got so many clutch runs, getting Australia into winning positions.

    I saw him get 152* in overcast conditions at Lord’s. He put on 130 for the eighth wicket with Lawson which was a bit of a killer - they hit England all over the park and Lawson outscored Waugh. Though I did meet Graeme McKenzie.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    4,823
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look how silly Warne looks in this episode: Warne says,
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...let-dropped-me
    "He became a completely different person when he took over as captain... It wasn't that he dropped me. I have no issue about being dropped if I'm not performing; if you don't perform, out you go. But there was more to it than my performances - I think it was jealousy. He started to niggle away, telling me to look at my diet and spend more time on deciding what sort of person I wanted to be in my life, how to conduct myself - that sort of stuff. I said, 'Mate - worry about yourself."
    People don't understand who is the one trying to help him. Here Waugh is trying to help him and Warne is taking it the other way. Little mind confused.


    Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    38,347
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsha View Post
    Isn't that every team?

    England has had their share of Collingoowd vs Flintoff for example
    English cricketers are generally dull and straight-batted.

    If anything the lack of showbiz-friendly characters (or even strong personalities) in English cricket is always something that is bemoaned by our press - and yet, when we actually get one, then we can’t handle it.

    Boycott, Botham, Flintoff and Pietersen had great careers but were mostly rejected by the establishment, whereas Australian cricket finds a way to incorporate equally massive egos into the dressing room and yet does not micromanage them.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,917
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waugh was a pretty intense character, we all know the types : highly driven, goal oriented, perfectionist, obsessive, set a lot in store in symbolism and totems*, neurotic, somewhat socially inept. These sorts stop at nothing to achieve their goals and don't care which toes they have to tread on to get their way. The problem with this approach is that it often comes across as very selfish even if at the end of the day, the collective tends to benefit from the single-mindedness of such individuals.

    Steve Waugh didn't behave like the the archetypical Australian captain. He was not a lad's lad who could coerce his team to great heights through fair dinkum tactical intelligence and good-natured empathy like Tubby, nor was he someone who led from the front and wore his heart on the sleeve in the mode of AB or Chappelli, he used to send out a nightwatchman to protect his wicket during the last hour of a day's play and he cared about statistics. People like Ian Chappell and Warne will take these grudges to the grave.

    *Recall an image doing the rounds back in the day after Australia demolished England inside 4 days at Edgbaston in 2001, some of the team ambled off to Wimbledon to support Pat Rafter against Goran Ivanesevic the following Monday, Warne and Waugh were sitting together, Warne in casual half-sleeved shirt and trademark sun glasses, whereas Waugh was proudly sporting his tattered baggy green. It was a sickening display of the importance of symbols in his mind.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    34,796
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol, the only one appearing selfish here is Warne. The team comes first before the individual and a captain has every right to make these selfish decisions for the team's best interest

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    34,796
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Michael Slater is also bitter against Steve Waugh for axing him in favor of Mathew Hayden, Justin Langer.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    8,046
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    English cricketers are generally dull and straight-batted.

    If anything the lack of showbiz-friendly characters (or even strong personalities) in English cricket is always something that is bemoaned by our press - and yet, when we actually get one, then we can’t handle it.

    Boycott, Botham, Flintoff and Pietersen had great careers but were mostly rejected by the establishment, whereas Australian cricket finds a way to incorporate equally massive egos into the dressing room and yet does not micromanage them.
    I guess it all depends on the culture too. We also mistreated Akhtar poorly

  22. #22
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,383
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    There seem to be two major groups of Aussie cricketer.

    The first is the quieter, classier, hard-working “team before individual” type who just wants to get on with the job in hand and deliver results for Australian cricket - like Adam Gilchrist, Justin Langer and Steve Waugh. They are respected by fans around the world.

    The second type sadly seems to be slightly more common. They take a particular dislike to the first type and are generally known for their playboy profiles, lager lout behaviour, dressing room cliquishness and “lads about the town, what happens on tour stays on tour” attitude. As much as I rate Shane Warne as a cricketer, he definitely belongs in this group, along with equivalent oafs like Andrew Symonds and David Warner.
    Completely agree. Also, I believe the reason why Michael Clarke never truly got along with his teammates was because he belonged to the, what you described as, the first type of Aussie cricketers while being surrounded by the second type.

    On topic though, Warne is such a child that I don't even find such statements by him surprising anymore. Great cricketer but an immature idiot.

  23. #23
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,383
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsha View Post
    I guess it all depends on the culture too. We also mistreated Akhtar poorly
    Akhtar wouldn't have survived a day in the Australian set up with that attitude.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    7,708
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Strange comments by Warne. Waugh as I remember during his playing days was a tough player who only intention was to win the game for Australia. There was nothing selfish about his approach or attitude towards the game.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    3,119
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Not selfish.

    Highly professional.

    He wanted to win at any cost and if Warne not bowling well was a hindrance, he chose to drop him. He would have dropped anyone if he thought it would make Australia win.

    In hindsight, it was a smashing decision as Australia squared the series.

    Warnie is just being a bit sensitive here.
    Correct. In fact the selfish thing is Warne wanting to play even though he said himself his shoulder wasn't right and he'd been bowling pies all series. To Warne, himself playing is more important than the country winning the Test.

    Warne was a great bowler but has no self insight or analytical skills. In the same breath he accuses Waugh of being selfish he then goes on to tell how he threw a huge sulk about being dropped and became a negative influence around the team- wallowing for himself instead of trying to help others succeed at their task. Isn't that the very definition of selfishness?

  26. #26
    Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    7,708
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Shane Warne’s comments don’t need a response: Steve Waugh

    Former Australia captain Steve Waugh has delivered a short reply to Shane Warne’s statement that he was “the most selfish player” he ever played with.

    In his latest book, No Spin, Warne suggested that Waugh was only interested in keeping his Test batting average. The feud between the two former team-mates is no secret and dates back to 1999 when Warne was dropped from the Test team during a tour of the West Indies after managing two wickets in three matches. In 2016, during a reality show, the legspinner slammed Waugh as the most selfish player he had encountered while listing out reasons he did not like him.

    Waugh on Thursday stated that he “didn’t need to justify anything” he did as captain.

    “I’m responding [to Warne] by not responding because I don’t think it needs a response,” he said on ABC’s News Breakfast.

    On the decision to drop Warne from the Test squad in 1999, Waugh said: “I had to make a decision as a captain and as a leader. Unfortunately, I didn’t want to make that decision but I did it for the benefit of the team. You’ve got to have loyalty to a certain degree but you can’t have blind loyalty. I guess that’s what Shane expected on that occasion. I had to make a decision. I got on fine with Shane we had a great relationship. As a leader you’re put in a tough position sometimes but that’s why you’re a leader.”

    https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...e-waugh-759246

  27. #27
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    41,021
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)



    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    14,584
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well from that stat it does seem there maybe have been a selfish streak to him if true

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    6,464
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha, i saw that and thought of warnie, but fwiw waugh had to have some level of arrogance and self importance about himself to develop the team he did, given he had to impose himself on plenty of flamboyant characters.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    34,796
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Is there anyone that Warne hasn't slagged. He even Slagged Tendulkar for the all stars tournaments not carrying on. There is no wonder why this guy never captained Australia.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    16,306
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love Warne, he is the greatest spinner of all time. However what's his whinge here? He was terrible during the WI tour and was rightfully dropped, no player should be bigger than the team. I like Steve as a person but hated him as a player but I have no doubt Steve did the right thing by dropping Warne during the WI tour of 99.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,917
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, Warne has always been correct about Waugh. Anyone that closely followed their careers would know that.

    It doesn't mean that Warne doesn't hold a grudge and never misses out on an opportunity to pile on the criticism.

    I doubt it ruffles Waugh in any way though, which probably annoys Warne even more.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    14,584
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hes probably right There was a selfish streak to his play more to do with self preservation probably dating back from the late 80s and he was dropped and struggling but really warne needs to let it go I mean hes 50 plus and retired for 13yrs Let it go man and move on Thats history

  34. #34
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    3,734
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warne can say all he wants in the end Waughs decision turned out to be correct as Australia won the test.

    Great captains aren't emotional and are ready to take the tough decisions which Waugh did. I am sure dropping Warne was not a popular decision and had it backfired he would have been criticized heavily.


    "Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

  35. #35
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    5,837
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the vast vacant chamber of a sporting world without sport, everything echoes. Last weekend, it was Shane Warne versus Steve Waugh.

    This bemused Waugh. "People keep saying it's a feud," he said. "But to me, a feud's between two people. I've never bought into it, so it's just one person."

    As it happens, Warne also says it's about just one person. "Steve was easily the most selfish cricketer I ever played with," tweeted Warne. It could have been a cut-and-paste of a cut-and-paste of a cut-and-paste.

    Always, the charge is the same: selfishness. Warne says it is not personal. "For the record AGAIN & I've said this 1000 times - I do not hate S Waugh at all," he tweeted this week. Then: "Steve was easily the most selfish cricketer that I ever played with, and this stat … [he runs out of characters]". It takes the flipperish dexterity of Warne to say that calling someone selfish is not personal. It's yes/no/wait/sorry.

    Waugh has defended his 1999 captaincy several times. "I had to make a decision, as a captain and a leader" he told the ABC in 2018. "I didn't want to make that decision but I did it for the benefit of the team."

    But he has let the rest slide, though on Monday the merest exasperation with Warne showed. "His comments are a reflection of himself, nothing to do with me," he said. "That's all I'd say."

    https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cri...18-p54u30.html

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    1,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane is projecting his own ego and selfishness onto Steve Waugh. He is angry with Waugh for dropping him in one test. I am surprised nobody's called him out for this level of entitlement that he felt.


    John 3:16

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    12,809
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selfish or whatever, I could only recall that whenever Australia used to tour India, Ponting and Warne more often than not disappointed while Steve Waugh would play clutch knocks and make life harder for Indian team.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    126,551
    Mentioned
    2381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Responding to what he makes of Shane Warne’s recent comments directed towards his “selfish” behaviour as Australia captain, Steve Waugh said he has “never bought” into jibes at him made by Warne. He said he had no “feud” with Warne as it has always been the spinner saying things about him and Waugh not responding.

    “People keep saying it’s a feud. But to me, a feud’s between two people. I’ve never bought into it, so it’s just one person,” the World Cup winning-skipper was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.

    Reacting to a statistic that Waugh held the dubious record of being involved in most run-outs, Warne tweeted recently: “Wow! So S Waugh was involved in the most ever run outs in test cricket (104) & ran his partner out 73 times – is that correct? Mmmmmmmmm.”

    “For the record AGAIN & I’ve said this 1000 times – I do not hate S Waugh at all. FYI – I picked him in my all time best Australian team recently. Steve was easily the most selfish cricketer that I ever played with and this stat,” he said in another tweet.

    Warne has made no secret of his animosity towards his former skipper, with the dispute between them having surfaced since Warne got dropped during a Test tour of the West Indies in 1999.

    Warne had called Waugh the “most selfish cricketer” in his autobiography in 2018 as well. “Steve Waugh was the most selfish player I ever played with and was only worried about averaging 50,” he had said.

    Waugh, for his part, has always said that he does not feel the need to respond to events that have happened two decades ago and that whatever decisions he took as captain were for the good of the team.

    https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...-jibe-6419615/


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  39. #39
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That story makes me want Waugh to coach our team.

    No one player should be above the team. The team comes first before a player's seniority & pride. It's attitude like that where nepotism begins and players just keep being rewarded and played because of past performance.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    68
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone watch the video fully? Personally I watched the first 10 minutes, it seemed to me as if it was mostly quick singles and twos in ODIs, particularly in the death overs. Don't think it was selfish, some bad calling though


  41. #41
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    756
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hypocrisy of the highest order. Warne still mad about being dropped

  42. #42
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    2,571
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Steve Waugh was selfish he wouldn't have played you in 1999 world cup
    Nor he would've played you in Indian tours where MacGill was already there as second option.
    Yes I agree that Waugh was selfish but now Warne is talking about that again and again that makes Warne a hypocrite.
    Last edited by andy0204; 21st May 2020 at 11:14.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    7,540
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit surprised by this comment from Warne. I thought they had a great relation.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,722
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warne is such a toxic character that it’s a testament to his great skill as a leg-spinner.

    Otherwise, what other board would tolerate so much none sense from someone who never even held the captaincy?

    Tugga was a stoic professional and his cold-shoulder treatment to the mischievous ones masked his steel loyalty to his teammates.

    There’s a reason why he was the most successful Test captain of his time.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,917
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Warne is such a toxic character that it’s a testament to his great skill as a leg-spinner.

    Otherwise, what other board would tolerate so much none sense from someone who never even held the captaincy?

    Tugga was a stoic professional and his cold-shoulder treatment to the mischievous ones masked his steel loyalty to his teammates.

    There’s a reason why he was the most successful Test captain of his time.
    Yes, the reason was that he had Warne and McGrath in his bowling attack. He seemed clueless without them when India toured in 2003/04.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,722
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Yes, the reason was that he had Warne and McGrath in his bowling attack. He seemed clueless without them when India toured in 2003/04.
    You could make the same argument for Lloyd, Richards, Kohli, etc.

    A great captain makes use of the players his board has selected.

    You ever wonder why after 2004, the Australian team hasn’t been the same? Sure, they haven’t had ATG’s like before but their talent has surpassed anyone else’s.

    And by the way, India could still only draw that series.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,917
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    You could make the same argument for Lloyd, Richards, Kohli, etc.

    A great captain makes use of the players his board has selected.

    You ever wonder why after 2004, the Australian team hasn’t been the same? Sure, they haven’t had ATG’s like before but their talent has surpassed anyone else’s.

    And by the way, India could still only draw that series.
    The Australian team under Ponting (while he had McGrath and Warne) was just as dominant as any of Waugh's sides. Ponting had a comparable record to Waugh during that period.

    The fact that Waugh somehow contrived to allow his side to go wicketless during a whole day in Kolkata in 2001 after being so far ahead in the test shows that he was not a great captain under pressure and lacked imagination when Plan A didn't work. I just think it's unfair to conclude he was the best captain during that era simply because of win-loss records. I reckon Ganguly, Hussain and Fleming were arguably better captains given the resources they had.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    2,571
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    The Australian team under Ponting (while he had McGrath and Warne) was just as dominant as any of Waugh's sides. Ponting had a comparable record to Waugh during that period.

    The fact that Waugh somehow contrived to allow his side to go wicketless during a whole day in Kolkata in 2001 after being so far ahead in the test shows that he was not a great captain under pressure and lacked imagination when Plan A didn't work. I just think it's unfair to conclude he was the best captain during that era simply because of win-loss records. I reckon Ganguly, Hussain and Fleming were arguably better captains given the resources they had.
    Yup and during Lara's 153 knock Waugh also looked clueless,Mark Taylor was the best captain of Australia in last 25 years.


    Why is Monday so far from Friday, and Friday so close to Monday?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •