Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Low ticket sales for India’s tour of Australia

Well, some of us have been warning of this for months.

Adelaide has had bumper ticket sales since the adoption of Day/Night Tests.

130,000 in 3 days watched New Zealand in 2015-16.

Around 150,000 watched South Africa in 4 days in 2016-17.

Even more watched the Ashes Test last year.

But India has refused to play a Day/Night Test, and ticket sales for the team viewed as “Kohli Plus Ten Unknowns” have yet to even approach the 113,000 India attracted to their last Day Test at Adelaide in 2014-15.

Obviously Australia is under-strength without Smith and Warner. But India has already lost six Tests outside Asia this year.

We hear a lot about India being some kind of money magnet. But it turns out that less people in Australia are willing to pay to see them than not just England and South Africa but even New Zealand!

It rings true. I’ve been to the last 3 Adelaide Tests, a 2.5 hour flight away from where I live. But this weekend I’m off on holiday in the opposite direction!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was a huge rivalry for the Aussie fans?

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two words - Sandpaper gate.

It is glaringly obvious that fewer Ozzies would flock to the ground after the shameful episode and two of their most popular cricketers getting banned.

I am surprised why it is so difficult for you to grasp this.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    To put it simply, it has more to do with the how the Australian public views the Australian cricket team at the moment.

Bluntly speaking, the Australian players are not well liked at the moment and their poor results have only compounded the lack of interest.

As a proud sporting nation that lays immense emphasis on playing hard but fair, the shadow of the sandpaper gate is going to linger for a while, which is why I could only laugh when some people were insisting that CA would be forced to bring back Smith and Warner early because of the poor results. The way CA shut down these delusions was very satisfying.

No matter how many runs Smith and Warner score after coming back, they will never be given captaincy duties again and will never be viewed in the same way again.

I understand that this news is exciting for us and triggers our Indophobia, but it has more to do with the perception of the Australian team itself rather than the lack of interest in Team India.

As a matter of fact, I would argue that the majority of people showing up are doing so to witness the legendary King Kohli at the peak of his powers rather than watching the likes of Marsh, Paine, Finch and Khawaja etc.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is a forced rivalry. Aussies have it out for the poms and vice versa, nobody else. BCCI has spent millions trying to make this rivalry happen bribing CA for tour after tour year in and year out. They will come down here, chalk up 1-2 draws, Kohli will cement his credentials, Aussies will win the rest of the matches, and that's it.

No fire, no bad blood, no rivalry.

Pakistan-India, Pakistan-England, England-Aus, Aus-NZ, India-Bangla, these are the only natural rivalries that exist.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sour grapes

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ticket sales in Adelaide have also not been helped by the South Australian government opting to cancel all train services in Adelaide this weekend because the control centre will be shifted from the city to the northern suburbs.

CA has said up to 14 per cent of match attendees use the train, with weekends of particular importance.

“We’re, obviously, very disappointed that the trains won’t be running on Saturday and Sunday," Bradshaw said.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...04-p50k5s.html

---------------------

14% crowd using train and train is not running. Sandpaper stuff and test not being day night. All three will have impact.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Test matches are probably declining in popularity anyway. The only games which attract bumper crowds these days are the Ashes which is the ONLY genuine rivalry in the game today.

To be quite frank, I am surprised that football hasn't overtaken cricket as the national sport in Australia yet, like it has in the rest of the world. You can understand the psychological grip cricket has on the subcontinent, it is still a developing part of the world, but surely football must make greater inroads everywhere else?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    This is a forced rivalry. Aussies have it out for the poms and vice versa, nobody else. BCCI has spent millions trying to make this rivalry happen bribing CA for tour after tour year in and year out. They will come down here, chalk up 1-2 draws, Kohli will cement his credentials, Aussies will win the rest of the matches, and that's it.

Pakistan-India, Pakistan-England, England-Aus, Aus-NZ, India-Bangla, these are the only natural rivalries that exist.
    Since CA make a huge money by Indian touring there, I think you got this other way here. CA will be the highly interested party to host Indians.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Test cricket resonates with the players from most test nations( bar the Windies) and with the die hard fans. As the pace of life quickens up people just dont have the time or inclination to spend 8 hours watching or probably another 2 travelling to and from the match.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Test Cricket should be abolished

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Test matches are probably declining in popularity anyway. The only games which attract bumper crowds these days are the Ashes which is the ONLY genuine rivalry in the game today.

To be quite frank, I am surprised that football hasn't overtaken cricket as the national sport in Australia yet, like it has in the rest of the world. You can understand the psychological grip cricket has on the subcontinent, it is still a developing part of the world, but surely football must make greater inroads everywhere else?
    For the last 3 years the attendance at Adelaide has gone up to record highs every year.

Now India tours and it goes right back down again.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Ticket sales in Adelaide have also not been helped by the South Australian government opting to cancel all train services in Adelaide this weekend because the control centre will be shifted from the city to the northern suburbs.

CA has said up to 14 per cent of match attendees use the train, with weekends of particular importance.

“We’re, obviously, very disappointed that the trains won’t be running on Saturday and Sunday," Bradshaw said.

---------------------

14% crowd using train and train is not running. Sandpaper stuff and test not being day night. All three will have impact.
    Read the article.

Interstate visitors - who don’t use the train, they stroll to the ground from their hotel - have fallen precipitously this year.

There are two reasons.

1. It’s only India playing.

2. It’s not a Day/Night match. Adelaide is hot in December by day, but lovely in the evening.

Sure, 14% of people come by train.

But advance ticket sales are down 60% from England and 30% from New Zealand levels!
    Last edited by Junaids; 4th December 2018 at 14:34.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Read the article.

Interstate visitors - who don’t use the train, they stroll to the ground from their hotel - have fallen precipitously this year.

There are two reasons.

1. It’s only India playing.

2. It’s not a Day/Night match. Adelaide is hot in December by day, but lovely in the evening.

Sure, 14% of people come by train.

But advance ticket sales are down 60% from England and 30% from New Zealand levels!
    Do you think sandpaper has contributed to lack of enthusiasm as well?

If it's Indian playing then why not compare Indians day test numbers with all day test numbers for non-Ashes.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think sandpaper has contributed to lack of enthusiasm as well?
    Haha, if he wanted to, he would have addressed or acknowledged the single greatest factor by now. Troll thread, as usual.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol test cricket has terrible attendance for over a decade now, except Ashes. Indians don't care about tests, they don't have time to waste 35 hours of a week on tuktuk.

Bring on the ODIs, you will see attendance.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Lol test cricket has terrible attendance for over a decade now, except Ashes. Indians don't care about tests, they don't have time to waste 35 hours of a week on tuktuk.

Bring on the ODIs, you will see attendance.
    You didn't get his point. He means to say that the usual 'test cricket loving public' like himself who spend money on flight tickets to go and watch 'test' cricket vs quality teams like NZ and England, are not interested in this summer's cricket because India hasn't won anything in Australia plus they are just Kohli plus ten unknowns.

It probably has nothing to do with the Australian team or sandpapergate, or the fact that Australia have only won 2/7 tests in 2018.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sad but the only Test cricket which attracts crowds these days is the Ashes. Nothing else does it. Even India playing in India manages to attract almost nobody anymore. Gone are the days of a packed Eden Gardens setting the stadium on fire (in Test cricket at least).

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    It is sad but the only Test cricket which attracts crowds these days is the Ashes. Nothing else does it. Even India playing in India manages to attract almost nobody anymore. Gone are the days of a packed Eden Gardens setting the stadium on fire (in Test cricket at least).
    If India invites Pakistan for test cricket I would guarantee a packed house for day 1 to day 5 at any venue.

Test cricket has suffered a lot due to no test cricket between India and Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    If India invites Pakistan for test cricket I would guarantee a packed house for day 1 to day 5 at any venue.
    I highly, highly doubt it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But India has refused to play a Day/Night Test, and ticket sales for the team viewed as “Kohli Plus Ten Unknowns” have yet to even approach the 113,000 India attracted to their last Day Test at Adelaide in 2014-15.

Obviously Australia is under-strength without Smith and Warner. But India has already lost six Tests outside Asia this year.

We hear a lot about India being some kind of money magnet. But it turns out that less people in Australia are willing to pay to see them than not just England and South Africa but even New Zealand!

It rings true. I’ve been to the last 3 Adelaide Tests, a 2.5 hour flight away from where I live. But this weekend I’m off on holiday in the opposite direction!
    Let's not forget the record breaking numbers Pakistan did in the day night test last time they were there (the highest ticket sales of any day night test up until that point in Aus or the venue, cant remember which). Lets also not forget that Pakistan v England in 2016 had huge ticket sales and yet India touring this time around not only had poor sales across almost all five tests, it also featured a dud series.

India are not the huge draw they are made out to be and this rivalry of sorts with Aus is nothing but cricinfo hype.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

---------------------

It turns out that the trains have all been replaced by free buses for ticket holders.
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    2015 - New Zealand break Adelaide Test attendance record.

2016 - South Africa break Adelaide Test attendance record. (And Pakistan set a new non-Ashes Test record at the Brisbane Day/Night Test).

2017 - England break Adelaide Test attendance record.

2018 - India return to Adelaide, reduce ticket sales to former levels.

Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Let's not forget the record breaking numbers Pakistan did in the day night test last time they were there (the highest ticket sales of any day night test up until that point in Aus or the venue, cant remember which). Lets also not forget that Pakistan v England in 2016 had huge ticket sales and yet India touring this time around not only had poor sales across almost all five tests, it also featured a dud series.

India are not the huge draw they are made out to be and this rivalry of sorts with Aus is nothing but cricinfo hype.
    Well, Cricket Australia has learned that their Aussie public doesn’t want to watch India any more than Pakistan. In fact LESS than a Day/Night Pakistan Test.

Mind you, the ECB learned the exact same lesson in England four months ago, when Pakistan drew 1-1 in a summer in which India lost 4-1. Compare the Lords attendances!

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out that the trains have all been replaced by free buses for ticket holders.

2016 - South Africa break Adelaide Test attendance record. (And Pakistan set a new non-Ashes Test record at the Brisbane Day/Night Test).

Well, Cricket Australia has learned that their Aussie public doesn’t want to watch India any more than Pakistan. In fact LESS than a Day/Night Pakistan Test.

Mind you, the ECB learned the exact same lesson in England four months ago, when Pakistan drew 1-1 in a summer in which India lost 4-1. Compare the Lords attendances!
    Great breakdown, I forgot it was Brisbane.

I guess people like to watch a team full of talented cricketers, not hair gelled "superstars".

Don't get me wrong, India has Kohli, Ashwin, Dhawan, a couple of others, all good players, but apart from the former who is truly worth a watch? Dhawan can wack it at times but is not consistent and Ashwin is more accountant than the spark of Shah or formerly Murali/Warne/Ajmal.

Kohli alone can not pull the crowds.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What was common in bold three matches? If I have to guess then ,

1) They were day night matches

2) All 3 matches took place before sandpaper episode.

Now you can ignore two most important factors here.

I asked a simple question. What's the historic attendance in Adelaide for day test matches outside of Ashes?

If dip is just slight then it's understandable due to sand paper, but if dip is a huge one then we do need to look deeper.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Adelaide historical attendance in day tests outside of Ashes I grabbed whatever easily available in ESPN.

2000 - WI 61K
    2001 - SA 77K
    2004 - NZ 60K

Last day test India played in Adelaide - 113K

I couldn't find all numbers in cricinfo. I will love to see total day test attendance trend outside of Ashes.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    OP -

Are you claiming that current test may see less than 60-70K turn out? That will be going below historical numbers for day tests.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I thought this was a huge rivalry for the Aussie fans?
    They don’t turn up when their team is doing badly.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    @Buffet,
    The new Adelaide Oval has only been open for five years - 2 Ashes series and the Day/Night Tests v NZ, SA and England.

Cricket Australia and the South Australian authorities both wanted this week’s Test to be a Day/Night one.

India refused.

So it has become a test of whether the Indian team actually has any box office value in Australia.

And, like the recent series in England, the answer is clearly “the boards believed that India would be a bigger box office attraction than anything apart from the Ashes, and they were proved wrong”.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The Average Daily Atrendance at the new Adelaide Oval was 41,245 per day for New Zealand in 2015-16, for a total aggregate of 123,736.

That’s the lowest total aggregate for a Test at the new Adelaide Oval.

Either India will exceed it, or they will break the record for the worst attendance at a modern Adelaide Test.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    They don’t turn up when their team is doing badly.
    That’s not actually true.

125,993 paid to attend the Test v South Africa in 2016-17 when they’d just been slaughtered by an innings at Hobart to lose the series.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Average Daily Atrendance at the new Adelaide Oval was 41,245 per day for New Zealand in 2015-16, for a total aggregate of 123,736.

That’s the lowest total aggregate for a Test at the new Adelaide Oval.

Either India will exceed it, or they will break the record for the worst attendance at a modern Adelaide Test.
    It's ok. ACB will still earn the most. I will still enjoy it. Popularity will still be at the highest.

Stadium attendance is not a measurement of popularity.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    It's ok. ACB will still earn the most. I will still enjoy it. Popularity will still be at the highest.

Stadium attendance is not a measurement of popularity.
    It’s how the hosting venue makes its money.

Cricket Australia gets the overseas TV revenue, but the hosting stadium gets the gate receipts.

And it’s worse in terms of tourism.

The InterContinental hotel next to the ground is THE place to stay. During Adelaide Tests it sells out, and rooms start at $450 per night.

For the December 2017 Ashes Test it cost me $500 per night and I had to book and pay IN FULL a year in advance.

Rooms are still on sale for during the India Test this week, and for Sunday night
    rooms are currently discounted to a laughably cheap $150 per night!

Hosting India is fine for Cricket Australia.

But it’s been a disaster for the ground hosts - the South Australian Cricket Association.

And it’s been a disaster for local hotels.

And it will consequently be a disaster for local restaurants.

And it has been a disaster for the domestic airlines, which still have discounted empty seats into Adelaide for the entire duration of the Test.

It’s partly the lack of Night sessions.

But when NZ tour everyone knows Williamson and Taylor and Southee and Boult.

Apart from Kohli, these Indians are nobodies.
    Last edited by Junaids; 4th December 2018 at 23:31.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How do you know this? Do you conduct a census each year about the popularity of various cricketers amongst Australians?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s how the hosting venue makes its money.

Cricket Australia gets the overseas TV revenue, but the hosting stadium gets the gate receipts.

And it’s worse in terms of tourism.

The InterContinental hotel next to the ground is THE place to stay. During Adelaide Tests it sells out, and rooms start at $450 per night.

For the December 2017 Ashes Test it cost me $500 per night and I had to book and pay IN FULL a year in advance.

Rooms are still on sale for during the India Test this week, and for Sunday night
    rooms are currently discounted to a laughably cheap $150 per night!

Hosting India is fine for Cricket Australia.

But it’s been a disaster for the ground hosts - the South Australian Cricket Association.

And it’s been a disaster for local hotels.

And it will consequently be a disaster for local restaurants.

And it has been a disaster for the domestic airlines, which still have discounted empty seats into Adelaide for the entire duration of the Test.

It’s partly the lack of Night sessions.

Oh man. So many disasters caused by a few nobodies. World is so unfair and ridiculous.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Oh man. So many disasters caused by a few nobodies. World is so unfair and ridiculous.
    This is what the Indians just don’t seem able to grasp.

Indian tours deliver good TV revenue to the host board.

But there is an additional complex sporting economy around Cricket tours - flights, hotels, restaurants and bars as well as merchandise.

Earlier this year both Australia and India did Test tours to South Africa.

The Aussie tour was planned a year in advance and delivered millions of Rand in not just TV revenue but international and domestic flights, hotels, restaurants and ground revenue. The Indian tour was finalised four months in advance and the grounds and hotels and flights were empty.

Our tickets for 2 SA v Australia Tests cost less than $500.

But we also bought:

2 domestic Business Class flights to Perth.

2 international Business Class flights to Johannesburg.

2 domestic economy flights Johannesburg to Cape Town to Durban to Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg.

17 nights of hotels.

Sports tourism is big business. But the BCCI only cares about TV revenue and couldn’t care less whether the hosts’ sports economy flourishes or fails.

So the BCCI continues to leave all tour planning to the last minute, so hosting India is good for host boards, but catastrophic to the local sports economy.

The Adelaide InterContinental usually doesn’t just sell out for Tests but also for AFL matches on Friday or Saturday nights.

India’s inability to sell out the hotel next to the cricket ground where New Zealand did, England did and South Africa did tells you everything about India’s low box office appeal.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    10-11 posts in a series I do not care about.Try harder @Junaids

You did the same during England series and T20s in Australia, turns out attendance and ratings were way better than what you spoke about. Expectly you disappeared or got busy as the series went on.

Whether you like it or not, real rivalry or fake rivalry, India, with nobodies, will continue to play 4-5 tests series in Eng/SA while Pakistan, full of superstars, will be stuck with not more than 2-3 tests. You can keep simmering in your own hate.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont blame India or Australia or anyone. What u guys try to turn a blind eye to is when India plays odis or twenty20 in Aussies, the games are vibrant and packed. The issue is the format abolish the out of date, dull format. Cricket is a modern day game, its 2018. If u want to increase the interest of cricket round the world get rid of this disastrous format. 5 days of cricket that ends with no winner or loser half the time, please get rid.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    10-11 posts in a series I do not care about.Try harder @Junaids

You did the same during England series and T20s in Australia, turns out attendance and ratings were way better than what you spoke about. Expectly you disappeared or got busy as the series went on.

Whether you like it or not, real rivalry or fake rivalry, India, with nobodies, will continue to play 4-5 tests series in Eng/SA while Pakistan, full of superstars, will be stuck with not more than 2-3 tests. You can keep simmering in your own hate.
    But it’s just a fact - the Sydney Morning Herald’s main cricket article yesterday was about the terrible ticket sales for the India Test in Adelaide (compared with England, New Zealand and South Africa).

And we saw the same thing in England last Northern summer.

The two boards (ECB and BCCI) imagined that India would be big box office like Australia. And they were wrong. They couldn’t outsell Pakistan!

The fact that there is a huge domestic TV audience in India which makes private TV stations pay big money is confused with India somehow being a glamour team in the places that they tour. And they just aren’t!

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibykhan2020 View Post
    If u want to increase the interest of cricket round the world get rid of this disastrous format. 5 days of cricket that ends with no winner or loser half the time.
    Actually feel there are more results nowadays and hardly any draws.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what the Indians just don’t seem able to grasp.

Indian tours deliver good TV revenue to the host board.

But there is an additional complex sporting economy around Cricket tours - flights, hotels, restaurants and bars as well as merchandise.

Earlier this year both Australia and India did Test tours to South Africa.

The Aussie tour was planned a year in advance and delivered millions of Rand in not just TV revenue but international and domestic flights, hotels, restaurants and ground revenue. The Indian tour was finalised four months in advance and the grounds and hotels and flights were empty.

Our tickets for 2 SA v Australia Tests cost less than $500.

But we also bought:

2 domestic Business Class flights to Perth.

2 international Business Class flights to Johannesburg.

2 domestic economy flights Johannesburg to Cape Town to Durban to Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg.

17 nights of hotels.

Sports tourism is big business. But the BCCI only cares about TV revenue and couldn’t care less whether the hosts’ sports economy flourishes or fails.

So the BCCI continues to leave all tour planning to the last minute, so hosting India is good for host boards, but catastrophic to the local sports economy.

The Adelaide InterContinental usually doesn’t just sell out for Tests but also for AFL matches on Friday or Saturday nights.

India’s inability to sell out the hotel next to the cricket ground where New Zealand did, England did and South Africa did tells you everything about India’s low box office appeal.
    I am no BCCI fan, but why should this matter to India?

Maybe just maybe, not all fans have the disposable income like you do.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Dont blame India or Australia or anyone. What u guys try to turn a blind eye to is when India plays odis or twenty20 in Aussies, the games are vibrant and packed. The issue is the format abolish the out of date, dull format. Cricket is a modern day game, its 2018. If u want to increase the interest of cricket round the world get rid of this disastrous format. 5 days of cricket that ends with no winner or loser half the time, please get rid.
    Both 20 and 50 overs cricket run at a loss in Australia and have to be subsidised by Test revenue.

Cricket Australia views both formats as an investment to attract ignorant youngsters to cricket.

T20i and ODI Cricket have just been 100% removed from Free-to-Air TV in Australia, with the result that last month’s 20 and 50 internationals in Australia against South Africa and India attracted the LOWEST TV audiences since records began.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    I am no BCCI fan, but why should this matter to India?

Maybe just maybe, not all fans have the disposable income like you do.
    Teams get invited according to the economic benefits that they bring. That’s why Zimbabwe and Bangladesh never tour Australia.

India is in the First Division for TV revenue, but for wider economic benefits beyond foreign TV money you see that India is strictly down in the Fourth Division. Consider the case of tours to Australia:

England obviously is the First Division.

New Zealand and South Africa are the Second Division.

Pakistan is the Third Division, willing to play the Day/Night Tests that make Adelaide and Brisbane Tests profitable.

India is down in the Fourth Division, finalising dates and venues late and refusing to play Day/Night matches.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^India is best touring team for any country period . Low turnout for Adaleide is due to day game but that will be compensated very with other tests.

It is riculous to think other countries are even in same ball park.

You are comparing Pakistan and India in same sentence.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Aussie cricket fans don't want to see meek Indian players. They would rather watch likes of Imam Ul Haq, Faheem Ashraf, Shadab Khan and co when they tour. ACB should stop inviting India for a series from now on.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    To be frank the interest is pretty low because of the ball tampering incident earlier this year. Also Australia's results recently hasn't helped. The AUS vs SA series was played with very low crowd as well in the ODI format as well.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    To be frank the interest is pretty low because of the ball tampering incident earlier this year. Also Australia's results recently hasn't helped. The AUS vs SA series was played with very low crowd as well in the ODI format as well.
    Yes, I pointed out that the recent South African and Indian limited overs matches in Australia drew the lowest TV ratings of all time.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's simply not true. Very few games end in a draw.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    I think Aussie cricket fans don't want to see meek Indian players. They would rather watch likes of Imam Ul Haq, Faheem Ashraf, Shadab Khan and co when they tour. ACB should stop inviting India for a series from now on.
    Completely agreed.

All our player are fake superstars. And captain is a crybaby and a ftb. Why would Aussie line up to watch us?

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Teams get invited according to the economic benefits that they bring. That’s why Zimbabwe and Bangladesh never tour Australia.

India is in the First Division for TV revenue, but for wider economic benefits beyond foreign TV money you see that India is strictly down in the Fourth Division. Consider the case of tours to Australia:

England obviously is the First Division.

New Zealand and South Africa are the Second Division.

Pakistan is the Third Division, willing to play the Day/Night Tests that make Adelaide and Brisbane Tests profitable.

India is down in the Fourth Division, finalising dates and venues late and refusing to play Day/Night matches.
    LOL and you claim to be an 'expert'. Hosting venues jack up the ticket prices for India mayches by 10-15% (more for higher priced tiers) and end up making way more money even with a few thousand less spectators. Add the money host associations make through selling 100s of high end corporate boxes and in ground advetising by Indian companies..runs into 10s of millions in a series. There is a reason why state associations/counties compete to host these matches. You may believe whatever you want to.

If all your laughable claims had even a tiny % of truth, no one would want India to tour. The Sydney practice game had a few thousand spectators and was being covered live. 4th division team of nobodies indeed.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL, some posters here know what's good for the ECB and CA more than those boards themselves know what's good for them

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's simply not true. Very few games end in a draw.
    Too bad the damage has already been done. That's the perception of the format to the general public, and it's not going to change.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sincerely hope that it is the case that Aus doesn't care about tests with india. this will allow to disengage from ICC and ICC wouldn't have to give handouts to BCCI.
    @Junaids
    I'm surprised you didn't share you thoughts on the ICC DRC decision. figured you would have weighed in like you did when the dispute was brought to the DRC.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia generally only cares about the ashes or boxing day test. Those are imbedded in our culture.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmahones View Post
    I sincerely hope that it is the case that Aus doesn't care about tests with india. this will allow to disengage from ICC and ICC wouldn't have to give handouts to BCCI.
    @Junaids
    I'm surprised you didn't share you thoughts on the ICC DRC decision. figured you would have weighed in like you did when the dispute was brought to the DRC.
    I think the ICC DRC case showed that Najam Sethi was not telling the truth when he claimed to have a signed contract with the BCCI to play those series.

Like many others I believed his claims to be true, I couldn’t believe that anyone would be foolish enough to go to court claiming to have proof if they did not. I was wrong.

So I congratulate the BCCI on hoodwinking the incompetent fools at the PCB into voting for the Big Three without giving them anything in return.

The BCCI really helped the PCB to make fools of themselves there!

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boxing day at the G is the best sight in world cricket, a beautiful city and a hot summers day nothing can top that.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that's still a lot more people than the crows that attend matches in UAE watching your beloved sooper phasht bowlers

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    But that's still a lot more people than the crows that attend matches in UAE watching your beloved sooper phasht bowlers
    A test in Australia has lower attendance than mickey mouse tournaments like Asia Cup in UAE

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A test in Australia has lower attendance than mickey mouse tournaments like Asia Cup in UAE

I Meant Test matches in UAE where crows outnumber people

How dare you suggest odis to be comparable to tests lol
    Last edited by Tusker; 5th December 2018 at 04:28.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    I Meant Test matches in UAE where crows outnumber people

How dare you suggest odis to be comparable to tests lol
    Buuut test is the best format, the ultimate format, the holiest format!!

I mean, isn't test the most popular format in Australia (apparently)? You would expect a fullhouse for the only format they enjoy

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post

Demand for most things in the modern world are created by advertising, so in that sense it is indeed forced.

If you think about it, the game of cricket like most other sports has little meaning. Why do we get so passionate about adult men in shorts running up and down a court trying to put a ball through a hoop, or into a goal? It is all make believe.

Welcome to modern day sports, it is a gigantic business.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I mean, isn't test the most popular format in Australia (apparently)? You would expect a fullhouse for the only format they enjoy
    I would assume the major audience for these Tests will be the Indian television audience. I would like to know the amount of dollars of tickets sold and compare it with the TV advertising revenues.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh I see ... valid point. Maybe because India don't take tests seriously ( #1 rank is gifted by ICC upon arm twisting by BCCI ) therefore Aussies not taking it seriously.

But still my point stands more people than crows in UAE

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I would assume the major audience for these Tests will be the Indian television audience. I would like to know the amount of dollars of tickets sold and compare it with the TV advertising revenues.
    You’re right, that will be the largest audience. And the TV rights have enriched Cricket Australia.

But the SACA makes a profit or loss only from the attendance at the ground.

Qantas and Virgin Australia make a profit or loss by carrying spectators from elsewhere in the country.

The major Adelaide hotels make profits from visiting fans.

Adelaide’s restaurants rely on income from fans who are going to or from the match each day.

Overseas TV rights and advertising revenue deliver nothing to them. For the stakeholders in Adelaide, TV income is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Junaids; 5th December 2018 at 04:49.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You’re right, that will be the largest audience. And the TV rights have enriched Cricket Australia.

But the SACA makes a profit or loss only from the attendance at the ground.

Qantas and Virgin Australia make a profit or loss by carrying spectators from elsewhere in the country.

The major Adelaide hotels make profits from visiting fans.

Adelaide’s restaurants rely on income from fans who are going to or from the match each day.

Overseas TV rights and advertising revenue deliver nothing to them.
    To Indians it doesn't really matter which particular Australians are getting the money, whether it be SACA or CA. I am sure if SACA makes a loss, over the long term CA will compensate it. That is the way the market works.

And Test matches are good for Australia as they keep the Indian economy humming so that they can give the $8 billion handouts to Australia every year for all that iron ore they sell

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    To Indians it doesn't really matter which particular Australians are getting the money, whether it be SACA or CA. I am sure if SACA makes a loss, over the long term CA will compensate it. That is the way the market works.

And Test matches are good for Australia as they keep the Indian economy humming so that they can give the $8 billion handouts to Australia every year for all that iron ore they sell
    Nice, lol!

But seriously, the host board is the only beneficiary from hosting India.

We have seen in South Africa this year (when both India and Australia toured) and England (when both India and Pakistan toured) and now in Australia that Indian tours deliver nothing special apart from TV revenue for the host board.

There is a whole economy built around hosting big sports matches in Australia, and India’s refusal to play Night Tests makes hosting them an economic burden.

It’s the equivalent of the economy in a Third World African Banana Republic.

Hosting India gives the host Board big income from TV money. Like an African dictator misappropriating state funds.

But the businesses and workers in hotels, airlines, restaurants and even Adelaide’s Rundle Mall are in no way better off if India tours rather than New Zealand or South Africa. In fact, they are worse off.

As witnessed by the 70% discount at the Adelaide InterContinental this weekend, selling $500 rooms for $150 because nobody from India or interstate has booked to come and watch the Test down the other end of the walkway.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandpaper?

Almost 130,000 people attended the same Adelaide Oval 2 years ago after South Africa had bowled Australia out for 85 at Hobart and beaten them by an Innings and 80 runs.

Whereas less than 60,000 tickets have been sold so far.
    Thanks for proving his point in a emphatic way.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandpaper?

Almost 130,000 people attended the same Adelaide Oval 2 years ago after South Africa had bowled Australia out for 85 at Hobart and beaten them by an Innings and 80 runs.

Whereas less than 60,000 tickets have been sold so far.
    Sandpaper happened in 2018, not 2 years ago.

Let me tell you something about Ozzies, mate. They support their team even if it loses badly, but once you cross the line, which during Sandpaper gate was crossed, they lose interest. You cheat, you lose all the respect and admiration.

Don't confuse this with the ethical standards of some of the ones who migrated from the sub continent and are yet to integrate into the Ozzie society and learn the Ozzie way of life. They would shamelessly want the likes of Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif in their team even if they have been proven corrupt beyond doubt. All they want is to win - by hook or by crook. Be wary of such fake Ozzies. Stay clear from them, brother.
    Last edited by BreadPakoda; 5th December 2018 at 05:18.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    964 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why people put so much stock in this. There are more than a billion Indians in the world. Anything featuring them is going to sell well, especially the one sport that they are any good at.

What matters more is the results on the field. If I was an Indian, I would rather see my team win a couple of test matches in front of crows rather than get whitewashed in front of thousands. Not sure what the Pakpassion Indians want though, they seem to think differently.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    I don't understand why people put so much stock in this. There are more than a billion Indians in the world. Anything featuring them is going to sell well, especially the one sport that they are any good at.

What matters more is the results on the field. If I was an Indian, I would rather see my team win a couple of test matches in front of crows rather than get whitewashed in front of thousands. Not sure what the Pakpassion Indians want though, they seem to think differently.
    You forgot to mention the dishwashing after the match to pay for your costs

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That’s not actually true.

125,993 paid to attend the Test v South Africa in 2016-17 when they’d just been slaughtered by an innings at Hobart to lose the series.
    But if they lost a few in a row, Australians would stop supporting them. Unlike in England where we don’t really mind being beaten 0-5 and turn up anyway.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Attendances to Test cricket in England are always mega, doesn’t have to be the Ashes.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a whole economy built around hosting big sports matches in Australia, and India’s refusal to play Night Tests makes hosting them an economic burden.

It’s the equivalent of the economy in a Third World African Banana Republic.

Hosting India gives the host Board big income from TV money. Like an African dictator misappropriating state funds.
    Welcome to the real world my friend. In the real world people do what benefits them the most, they mostly work on self-interest.

BCCI decided that it was in its self-interest play day matches. If Australia has been reduced to an "economy in a Third World African Banana Republic" so that it faces ruin from BCCI's decision, then it is the responsibility of Australians to diversify their economy and free themselves from BCCI's clutches.

If the Australian Board is really acting like an "African dictator misappropriating state funds" then the Australians need to change their system. Whining about BCCI's decisions is pointless, as BCCI does not think that Australians are in such dire straits (as you would have us believe) that BCCI needs to give up acting according in its self-interest.
    Last edited by Napa; 5th December 2018 at 06:37.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Junaids this is the answer to all the rubbish you've been peddling

Sport-obsessed fans from India injected a massive $1.2 billion dollars in the past 12 months to Australia while visiting for the last tour.

https://www.yourmoney.com.au/lifesty...-tourism-boom/

TV money TV money TV money, thats all you have been spewing non-stop. Now read this and be ashamed of your hatred.
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 5th December 2018 at 14:17.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately PCB hasn’t been begging ACB enough to make it seem like it’s a big rivalry so we leave the bad blood for the important ICC matches to follow ;)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Attendances to Test cricket in England are always mega, doesn’t have to be the Ashes.
    Agreed.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adelaide historical attendance in day tests outside of Ashes I grabbed whatever easily available in ESPN.

2000 - WI 61K
    2001 - SA 77K
    2004 - NZ 60K

Last day test India played in Adelaide - 113K

I couldn't find all numbers in cricinfo. I will love to see total day test attendance trend outside of Ashes.
    Those numbers aren't comparable, the Adelaide Oval used to seat around 27-28k before the redevelopment in the mid-2000s which took it up to 33k. The most recent development in 2013-14 raised it to 55k or thereabout, so numbers in the early 2000s won't be relevant. In any event, the Adelaide test has always been well-attended since I started following cricket in the early 90s.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

And, like the recent series in England, the answer is clearly “the boards believed that India would be a bigger box office attraction than anything apart from the Ashes, and they were proved wrong”.
    Board will be proven right or wrong by not comparing Day/Night test with Day test. They will be proven right or wrong by comparing day tests and there will be enough data point to compare that.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Those numbers aren't comparable, the Adelaide Oval used to seat around 27-28k before the redevelopment in the mid-2000s which took it up to 33k. The most recent development in 2013-14 raised it to 55k or thereabout, so numbers in the early 2000s won't be relevant. In any event, the Adelaide test has always been well-attended since I started following cricket in the early 90s.
    Yah , I forgot about that.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    @Junaids this is the answer to all the rubbish you've been peddling

Sport-obsessed fans from India injected a massive $1.2 billion dollars in the past 12 months to Australia while visiting for the last tour.

https://www.yourmoney.com.au/lifesty...-tourism-boom/

TV money TV money TV money, thats all you have been spewing non-stop. Now read this and be ashamed of your hatred.
    Read the article again.... if you can't see the obvious inconsistencies, come back and I will enlighten you.
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 5th December 2018 at 14:18.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really think the low ticket sales have anything to do with India touring, but rather because the Australian public is disengaged with cricket. That's a combination of sandpapergate and the disgraceful new tv rights deal that handed the crown jewels to Fox. They have made it harder to stream the action online as well, as you would need subscriptions to all sorts of add-on services. The people running CA are absolute imbeciles.