Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Pakistan Super League 2019 Preview: Karachi Kings

By @Arsalan Pro

Karachi Kings is renowned for being the most popular franchise and has arguably the largest fan base for any PSL team. However, they haven't lived up to the expectations of their fans in previous and will be looking to change that this time around.

A franchise that has formally been full of superstars, flamboyant athletes and pure entertainers of the T20 format for the first three seasons has now opted for a change in personnel, in the hope that this will bring difference in their fortunes. They have dropped quality players like Chris Gayle, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik, Kumar Sangakarra and Kieron Pollard over the course of their PSL journey, but are yet to taste any success in terms of winning the league.

However, one positive in their campaigns is the improvement in their league position each year; from being the second last in PSL 1 and winning only 2 matches, they became the third-best side in PSL 2 and second-best last year in PSL 3, though they eventually finished third after the playoffs.

One thing that hasn't changed is their captain, who remains Imad Wasim. PSL 2019 will be the first time they will have a skipper that has captained them previously, and under this settled, energetic and inspirational leader, they will be looking to go deep in this tournament. Along with Islamabad United, they are the team that has kept the most players through retentions prior to the draft, which is a good sign of players gelling well with each other and being up to the mark individually.

Another thing that has been reasonably consistent with most teams and also Karachi has been their coaching staff, but what is different is that they have Pakistan's Head Coach Mickey Arthur working with them, which should be pivotal to their success. His experience for the past 3 years with the national team and Karachi Kings will be valuable for players in tough situations.

Having two superstars of Pakistan in Mohammad Amir and Babar Azam, who are also their highest wicket-taker and highest run-scorer respectively, will be good for Karachi and they can expect some star-studded performances from these two along their road to glory.

Strengths

Starting the innings while batting or bowling will be their strengths without much doubt - KK is the only T20 team in the world to have the top 2 T20I batsmen Babar Azam and Colin Munro opening their batting, which is a scary prospect for any bowler; how well their nature complements each other will be a treat to watch. Along with these two, Colin Ingram at number 3 can provide them with some blazing starts and solid platforms early on during the power-play overs.

The opening bowlers will be equally good, and probably the best in the tournament. Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim are a lethal pair of bowlers who can suck momentum out of any batting order and also strike regular blows with the new ball; how teams negate their effect will be the deciding factor of many encounters during the PSL.

Weaknesses

As starting is their strength, middle overs will be a problem in both departments. A batting order filled with accumulators and no genuine hitters down the order will question the team's ability to finish off innings and chase big targets.

No really good quality spinners to bowl in the middle overs can hurt their run-stopping and wicket-taking ability during this phase, which can prove costly.

Players to watch out for

Colin Munro, who is playing for the first time in PSL, can be the tormentor in chief of many bowling attacks during this competition with his deadly six-hitting ability; if he has a good outing, KK will definitely be in a good position. Rookie Tasmanian speedster Aaron Summers is somewhat of an unknown commodity, but has the ability to rip the hearts out of many batting orders with his 150 kph thunderbolts if he gets a proper chance.

Verdict

Like each year, Karachi are expected to qualify for the playoffs without much trouble, but winning the tournament will be a daunting task for them as they have some glaring weaknesses. However, without the hype they've had in past seasons, this time around they might be the ones who turn out to be the dark horses and actually end up winning PSL 2019.

Squad

Colin Munro, Mohammad Amir, Babar Azam, Colin Ingram, Imad Wasim , Usman Khan Shinwari, Mohammad Rizwan, Ravi Bopara, Sikandar Raza, Awais Zia, Usama Mir, Aaron Summers, Sohail Khan, Iftikhar Ahmed, Ali Imran, Abrar Ahmed, Aamer Yamin, Ben Dunk, Liam Livingstone, Jaahid Ali, Umer Khan

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Meri Team

Issue is that they have a lot of class but seem to give up at crucial moments. What I am really happy about is the captain - Imad Wasim - I see a lot of toughness in him and I do hope he can himself inspire his side to become title holders.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam should be made VC.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent side with some really good overseas T20 batsmen. Also would be great to see Wasim Akram working with Mohammad Amir and helping him find his lost form.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Straight swap with LQ in the league table.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    mmm, if Malik isn't there, they have a chance.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imad is going to be very important to their success. He played some good innings vs SA and he needs to replicate that form as KK lack firepower at the end. Strong opening partnership in Munro and Babar though.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imad will be crucial to his teams chances this year. he has to lead from the front I guess he has to bat in top 4 and bowl upfront to have any chances of going through the knock out stages

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think people are overreacting. This team is fine, after all they have the best player in the world, they will be competitive.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar needs to carry his international form into the league and give KK some firing starts along with Munroe.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Always a lot of hype for this team but they fail to live up to the hype. Munro is a good addition. Raza too. Imad and Usama Mir is a good spin attack.

Don't see them winning it to be honest.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less boring than the Peshawar Zalmi team, but still not those big scoring T20 bats.

I will watch their games for Babar Azam's sake and to have a look at Imad's captaincy.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    439 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My team is Lahore Qalandars but my two favorite Pakistani Players (Babar and Amir) play for this team. Still hoping Babar Blasts a couple hundreds against teams other than Qalandars.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised by the doom and gloom of some posters.

@Arsalan Pro good write up, agree with a lot of what you have said.

However, saying KK have "no really good quality spinners to bowl in the middle overs" is a little harsh. Usama Mir is a quality prospect and improves every time I have seen him, they just need to give him a bit of confidence. Umer Khan could also be a surprise package re spin.

Agree with your concern re lower order hitting but I think that is addressed with the below line up, personally I think Yamin has to play over Bopara to get the balance right. They also have Ben Dunk and Liam Livingstone on the bench!

One area I disagree with you is when you say it is a batting order filled with accumulators- five of that top eight can muscle the ball, whilst three can build a platform. If anything, their problem will be making sure at least one batsmen is anchoring whilst the rest have fun!

IIRC their foreign players are available for most/all of the tournament which makes them even stronger:

1. Colin Munro (F)
    2. Babar Azam
    3. Colin Ingram (F)
    4. Sikander Raza (F)
    5. Ali Imran (E)
    6. Rizwan
    7. Imad Wasim
    8. Aamer Yamin/Bopara (F)
    9. Usama Mir
    10. Amir
    11. Shinwari/ Aaron Summers (F)

The issues I can see are:
    (i) their emerging player (out of position)
    (ii) who management chooses to play at eight and
    (iii) batting is dependent on batsmen unfamiliar with conditions.

Having sang KK's praises, they will now proceed to play cha cha Ifti and Sohail Khan .

@Ahson08 thoughts?

p.s. the one thing I will say about KK is they seem to lack any kind of "soul". Come across as very corporate e.t.c.
    Last edited by mak36; 11th February 2019 at 20:33.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post

However, saying KK have "no really good quality spinners to bowl in the middle overs" is a little harsh. Usama Mir is a quality prospect and improves every time I have seen him, they just need to give him a bit of confidence. Umer Khan could also be a surprise package re spin.

Agree with your concern re lower order hitting but I think that is addressed with the below line up, personally I think Yamin has to play over Bopara to get the balance right. They also have Ben Dunk and Liam Livingstone on the bench!

One area I disagree with you is when you say it is a batting order filled with accumulators- five of that top eight can muscle the ball, whilst three can build a platform. If anything, their problem will be making sure at least one batsmen is anchoring whilst the rest have fun!

IIRC their foreign players are available for most/all of the tournament which makes them even stronger:

1. Colin Munro (F)
    2. Babar Azam
    3. Colin Ingram (F)
    4. Sikander Raza (F)
    5. Ali Imran (E)
    6. Rizwan
    7. Imad Wasim
    9. Usama Mir
    10. Amir

Having sang KK's praises, they will now proceed to play cha cha Ifti and Sohail Khan .

@Ahson08 thoughts?

p.s. the one thing I will say about KK is they seem to lack any kind of "soul". Come across as very corporate e.t.c.
    I don't like seeing Ali Imran in the starting 11. I'd rather bench Usama Mir and play Abrar in his place instead of sacrificing a crucial place in the middle order.
    My 11 would look like this:
    Babar
    Munro
    Ingram
    Bopara
    Sikandar
    Rizwan
    Imad
    Yamin
    Sohail
    Amir/Shinwari
    Abrar.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    I don't like seeing Ali Imran in the starting 11. I'd rather bench Usama Mir and play Abrar in his place instead of sacrificing a crucial place in the middle order.
    My 11 would look like this:
    Babar
    Munro
    Ingram
    Bopara
    Sikandar
    Rizwan
    Imad
    Yamin
    Sohail
    Amir/Shinwari
    Abrar.
    Unless he has improved massively, playing Abrar would be a risk. If you want an emerging pick other than Ali Imran, play Umer Khan.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Unless he has improved massively, playing Abrar would be a risk. If you want an emerging pick other than Ali Imran, play Umer Khan.
    Abrar impressed me in the 2nd season. So i'd like to see him play.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. Colin Munro (F)
    2. Babar Azam
    3. Colin Ingram (F)
    4. Sikander Raza (F)
    5. Ali Imran (E)
    6. Rizwan
    7. Imad Wasim
    9. Usama Mir
    10. Amir

@Ahson08 thoughts?

I also agree with you on most parts, but whenever I have seen Usama Mir bowl in PSL, his lengths have been too short due to his height maybe and has gone for runs rather than being economical. Yes, but I do believe and hope that he is a good bowler who develops into a quality one by improving his consistency.

As far as I know, Colin Munro isn't starting PSL straightaway and will miss 3-4 opening matches due to Bangladesh series, where he will only play 1 match which is the last of the series.

Your team combination is good and can be even better in my opinion with some minor changes, but I don't think they will play these lineups which we want and I can't really expect big hitting from a batting order of Raza, Bopara, Rizwan at 4,5,6 which is the likely combination.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan Pro View Post
    I also agree with you on most parts, but whenever I have seen Usama Mir bowl in PSL, his lengths have been too short due to his height maybe and has gone for runs rather than being economical. Yes, but I do believe and hope that he is a good bowler who develops into a quality one by improving his consistency.

As far as I know, Colin Munro isn't starting PSL straightaway and will miss 3-4 opening matches due to Bangladesh series, where he will only play 1 match which is the last of the series.

Your team combination is good and can be even better in my opinion with some minor changes, but I don't think they will play these lineups which we want and I can't really expect big hitting from a batting order of Raza, Bopara, Rizwan at 4,5,6 which is the likely combination.
    Spot on re Usama's issue but I saw him bowl in the recent National T20 and he was bowling with much better control and was consistently bowling that fuller length. Here's hoping he can replicate that in PSL.

Was not aware re Munro's availability. That could cause problems.

What would your ideal XI be?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spot on re Usama's issue but I saw him bowl in the recent National T20 and he was bowling with much better control and was consistently bowling that fuller length. Here's hoping he can replicate that in PSL.

Was not aware re Munro's availability. That could cause problems.

What would your ideal XI be?
    For me, Rizwan isn't a suitable batsman for T20 cricket and should stick to ODIs only. He shouldn't be in their best possible lineup, they have Ben Dunk who is a wicketkeeper, a big hitter and can also play at different positions according to situation.
    Hence, only one of Sikander Raza and Ravi Bopara should play in the middle order.

My Team if all players are available would be:

Colin Munro
    Babar Azam
    Colin Ingram
    Sikander Raza/Ravi Bopara
    Ali Imran
    Ben Dunk(Wk)
    Imad Wasim
    Aamir Yamin
    Mohammad Amir
    Usama Mir
    Usman Shinwari/Sohail Khan

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Usama Mir had a great PSL2 where he was one of KK's leading wicket-takers. Unfortunately he didn't get an opportunity in PSL3 because of Shahid Afridi's presence as leg-spinner. I think he's key here and should be in for a big tournament

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur Conflicts of Interest( Coach pak as well as in PSL)

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, Rizwan isn't a suitable batsman for T20 cricket and should stick to ODIs only. He shouldn't be in their best possible lineup, they have Ben Dunk who is a wicketkeeper, a big hitter and can also play at different positions according to situation.
    Hence, only one of Sikander Raza and Ravi Bopara should play in the middle order.

My Team if all players are available would be:

Colin Munro
    Babar Azam
    Colin Ingram
    Sikander Raza/Ravi Bopara
    Ali Imran
    Ben Dunk(Wk)
    Imad Wasim
    Aamir Yamin
    Mohammad Amir
    Usama Mir
    Usman Shinwari/Sohail Khan
    I actually agree with you re Rizwan- I somehow completely forgot Dunk is a keeper so assumed Rizwan was the only choice lol. Only issue with above line up is four of the top six are foreign and therefore less familiar with conditions but that's a risk worth taking. Once Dunk finishes in BBL he should definitely play.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually agree with you re Rizwan- I somehow completely forgot Dunk is a keeper so assumed Rizwan was the only choice lol. Only issue with above line up is four of the top six are foreign and therefore less familiar with conditions but that's a risk worth taking. Once Dunk finishes in BBL he should definitely play.
    I just checked and it looks like both Summers and Dunk are also not available for KK's first game atleast, their teams are facing off in Semi-Finals of BBL on Thursday against each other, which is the fist day of PSL and Karachi has a match next day, although due to time difference one of them should make it to UAE by the time match starts but it will be pretty difficult for him to play right away, other player will play the Final and would reach next week most probably.

This means they don't have 3 Foreign Players for the first game and their team will eventually be:

Awais Zia
    Babar Azam
    Colin Ingram
    Sikander Raza
    Ravi Bopara
    Liam Livingstone
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Imad Wasim
    Mohammad Amir
    Usman Shinwari
    Abrar Ahmed/Umer Khan

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just checked and it looks like both Summers and Dunk are also not available for KK's first game atleast, their teams are facing off in Semi-Finals of BBL on Thursday against each other, which is the fist day of PSL and Karachi has a match next day, although due to time difference one of them should make it to UAE by the time match starts but it will be pretty difficult for him to play right away, other player will play the Final and would reach next week most probably.

This means they don't have 3 Foreign Players for the first game and their team will eventually be:

Awais Zia
    Babar Azam
    Colin Ingram
    Sikander Raza
    Ravi Bopara
    Liam Livingstone
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Imad Wasim
    Mohammad Amir
    Usman Shinwari
    Abrar Ahmed/Umer Khan
    Or if they open with Ingram, then

Babar Azam
    Colin Ingram
    Sikander Raza
    Ravi Bopara
    Liam Livingstone
    Ali Imran
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Imad Wasim
    Mohammad Amir
    Usama Mir
    Usman Shinwari

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karachi Kings should be one of the favs to lift the trophy. Looking forward to see Babar Azam carry his form from International Cricket to PSL... I expect him to be the player of the Tournament..

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Munro
    Azam
    Ingram
    Raza/Dunk
    Bopara/Livingstone
    Rizwan
    Imad
    Yamin
    Sohail/Usama Mir
    Amir
    Usman

Very good team that should play to win tournament. Big test for Mickey he has to get far to show his worth in his 4th shot as teams coach.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Babar and Munro can be a very powerful opening combination. Squad looks better and more balanced than previous seasons.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Looks good. We should win this time.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing Usama took three wickets vs PZ in the warm up match...

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Would be good for Babar Azam's form and confidence if he can be a big contributor to his team's success.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Arsalan Pro

Ben Dunk scored a 50 in BBL final. On his way to Dubai, so here's hoping he plays.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    @Arsalan Pro

Ben Dunk scored a 50 in BBL final. On his way to Dubai, so here's hoping he plays.
    If Ben Dunk plays, he'll be replacing one of Bopara/Raza, the other being replaced by Munro and a local batsman will come in for Rizwan but all of them are openeners (Dunk, Munro, Awais/Imran) so most of their batsmen will be playing out of position.

However it will be quite an explosive top 7

Munro
    Babar
    Ingram
    Ali Imran/Awais Zia
    Livingstone
    Dunk
    Imad

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Livingstone and Babar is a solid opening partnership. They performed well together when they opened for the first time. I would like to see them continue together. They could easily bring Munro No.3, Bopara No.4 and Ingram at No.5. I personally would like to see Dunk and Aaron Summers play but I don't know for who.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddgenius View Post
    If Ben Dunk plays, he'll be replacing one of Bopara/Raza, the other being replaced by Munro and a local batsman will come in for Rizwan but all of them are openeners (Dunk, Munro, Awais/Imran) so most of their batsmen will be playing out of position.

However it will be quite an explosive top 7

Munro
    Babar
    Ingram
    Ali Imran/Awais Zia
    Livingstone
    Dunk
    Imad
    Still need a wicketkeeper since Dunk hasn't really been keeping recently, so it will likely still be that Rizwan will play instead of Imran or Zia. The batting looks strong though with Munro back to help give explosive starts. Bowling would be better if there was a better fast bowler than Sohail Khan available.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Arsalan Pro

Yup, he will be available for their next game and so will be Munro. I hope they drop Rizwan, who isn't suited to T20 cricket and will only lose them matches.

In my opinion, they should also play Usama Mir from now on and go with 3 pacer, 3 spinner combination.

Here is my team for the game against Peshawar:

Colin Munro
    Babar Azam
    Liam Livingstone
    Colin Ingram
    Ben Dunk(Wk)
    Imad Wasim
    Aamer Yamin
    Sohail Khan
    Mohammad Amir
    Usama Mir
    Umer Khan

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ifti Uncle, Rizwan, Jaahid Ali and Bopara at least 2 of them should get injured for the sake of their team

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, he will be available for their next game and so will be Munro. I hope they drop Rizwan, who isn't suited to T20 cricket and will only lose them matches.

In my opinion, they should also play Usama Mir from now on and go with 3 pacer, 3 spinner combination.

Here is my team for the game against Peshawar:

Colin Munro
    Babar Azam
    Liam Livingstone
    Colin Ingram
    Ben Dunk(Wk)
    Imad Wasim
    Aamer Yamin
    Sohail Khan
    Mohammad Amir
    Usama Mir
    Umer Khan
    Would play Shinwari ahead of Sohail Khan but otherwise agree (Usama Mir can bat at eight).