Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Abid Ali struggles in fitness test

One of the tests today at the NCA involved a 2k time trial.

Unfortunately Abid Ali struggled to complete the 2k run within the allotted time.

The Pakistan team management are collating the data for all the tests but are unhappy with the standard of fitness of players coming into the international set-up and it's taking them a while to get up to the required levels of fitness.

Domestic coaches and fitness trainers don't seem to be working the players hard enough and this issue has been highlighted to Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'd still take him in a heartbeat over nephew.... I see that Inzi and co are building a case of not taking Abid to the WC so that nephew's position does not come under any threat.

I'd take a little chubby Abid Ali over fitness models Shan Masood and Imam ul Haq any day of the week.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I'd still take him in a heartbeat over nephew.... I see that Inzi and co are building a case of not taking Abid to the WC so that nephew's position does not come under any threat.

I'd take a little chubby Abid Ali over fitness models Shan Masood and Imam ul Haq any day of the week.
    All aspects are important.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitness test is just a smoke screen. The WC squad is already decided.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they pick him so that we can move out of yet another illusion.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abid looked chubbier in the Pakistan cup than in the Australia series, must've been eating poorly since getting back home

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fitness test is for ALL..you pass or you stay.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has a LONG way to go. The domestic set up is of very very low quality. Its only due to the raw talent that somehow PAK cricket is still alive.

But how can you expect to compete when your top domestic performers have such low levels of fitness. That gap is just too big.

Of couse you need to start at the root of all this but who will spend time and money on PAK domestic cricket?

Whats the point in waiting till a player comes to the national team with loads of potential but misses out due to basic stuff.

In this way you never will move forward.

Most things in PAK are way below thw standard. Cricket is the only thing that makes the public happy and takes them away from the daily struggle. I hope cricket in PAK will find a way back to the top.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    Fitness test is for ALL..you pass or you stay.
    Lets see if it applies on Imad who i have seen failed fitness test atleast 3-5 times in past but only dropped once.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I hate nephew, his Uncle's input are vital to his development which means nephew was better able to adjust himself according to International standards. Nepotism can be a benefit to you and if you are motivated you can stay ahead of the curve actually. Imam might still struggle against very good bowling attacks he is still much better in other aspects than some of his competitors.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Curious as to what exactly is the allotted time for the 2k run?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Domestic cricket needs to change from a boys club to a professional setup.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The fitness standards shouldnt stop new players from being selected, as they've never had to adhere to this fitness system before. If you fail a fitness test, it should only count for those who were already in the team from before.

Not picking Abid just because of a fitness test would be wrong, and it would be doing too far. Plus, there's still more than a month until the world Cup. A month of hard work can do a lot.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1061 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Abid Ali but with fitness tests likes and dislikes of the individual player don't come into it.

You either meet the criteria or you don't, it's non-negotiable in today's game. I think they should select him but conditional on following a tailored fitness programme.

If he's sent back to domestic where fitness standards are lax then he'll never meet the criteria.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I get confused with these things. Look at Abid Ali: he usually scores marathon hundreds and takes some of the best catches. Yet he isn't fit enough?

I don't get what these people are looking at. How does Sarfraz keep passing these then?

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I'm a big fan of Abid Ali but with fitness tests likes and dislikes of the individual player don't come into it.

You either meet the criteria or you don't, it's non-negotiable in today's game. I think they should select him but conditional on following a tailored fitness programme.

If he's sent back to domestic where fitness standards are lax then he'll never meet the criteria.
    Can't really blame domestic players as they have never followed this fitness routine. These standards should only apply once the player has been in the system for a tour, and knows the routine. Of course, after you know what's expected of you, there's no excuse for failing, so there should be no mercy on players like Umar Akmal or Imad Wasim who don't look fit enough even though they've been in the side for a long time.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abid Ali has actually lost considerable weight. You cannot reach the stars in one day. He will eventually get there. But the truth is so far he has shown more potential than some of our showponies.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaarrr this is bad news.

Inzi and Mickey wonít select him after this...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    One can understand poor underfunded regional cricket for not pushing players hard enough on diet and training but what excuses do the rich departments have?

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itís Inzyís Fault that Abid struggles in the test? Surely thatís ridiculous even coming from you. Should be one rule for all- set a standard. Pass the test you qualify and fail the test then you are not eligible to play.

Listen to your parents. Love them and respect them. Do not ever disobey or be rude to them

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without good fitness, the player will not be able to compete throughout the latter stages of the cup ie Qf, sf etc . If that's not what they are made of than best leave them home.

It takes a player a good season or two become fully professional, at least for our Pakistani players.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzy786 View Post
    Itís Inzyís Fault that Abid struggles in the test? Surely thatís ridiculous even coming from you. Should be one rule for all- set a standard. Pass the test you qualify and fail the test then you are not eligible to play.
    I rather take a chubby player that is a match winner over a gym greak who will not score above 25,30. Lets be logical.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He needs to speed up his fitness act.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    I rather take a chubby player that is a match winner over a gym greak who will not score above 25,30. Lets be logical.
    Lol. You can't pick and choose. It's a requirement.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well fitness is important and that is truly understable.
    However i just hope that they use the same yardstick to measure every indiviual.
    For example its being circulated that Imad failed the test
    Will they drop him too from the squad.If so,then its justified.The likes of Sarfaraz and Yasir have very bleak chances of passing as well,as is apparent by the extra pounds they carry around.If all of them will be dropped only then is it justified to drop Abid on the basis of fitness.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A big mistake by the selectors if he is not selected for the WC. Hopefully he will be able to get in looking at the current batting lineup. It looks weak without him.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Patriot View Post
    Well fitness is important and that is truly understable.
    However i just hope that they use the same yardstick to measure every indiviual.
    For example its being circulated that Imad failed the test
    Will they drop him too from the squad.If so,then its justified.The likes of Sarfaraz and Yasir have very bleak chances of passing as well,as is apparent by the extra pounds they carry around.If all of them will be dropped only then is it justified to drop Abid on the basis of fitness.
    Sarfaraz has passed and Yasir has failed. Some are also saying Imad has failed. But if he has truly failed then according to Mickey's previous claims mean that Imad won't be selected.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    Lol. You can't pick and choose. It's a requirement.
    It is also a requirement for Pakistan team to do well in the world cup. It is not Abids fault that domestic cricket is mediocre and it does not prepare a domestic player for international cricket. This is PCBs failure so the fitness requirement should go out the window for new players.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...when the national captain looks like a teletubby what do you expect exactly?

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    A big mistake by the selectors if he is not selected for the WC. Hopefully he will be able to get in looking at the current batting lineup. It looks weak without him.
    Lol.
    The guy has only played 2 matches fgs. How can u say he's going to make the lineup stronger. Even Rizwan scored 2 centuries, there's barely any praise for him. The guy averages 39 with a strike rate of 80. He's no different to Imam ul haq.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also a requirement for Pakistan team to do well in the world cup. It is not Abids fault that domestic cricket is mediocre and it does not prepare a domestic player for international cricket. This is PCBs failure so the fitness requirement should go out the window for new players.
    The players are aware that there is a standard which they have to achieve. So they should work on their fitness accordingly.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has seen International standards, and those that believe their fitness is important somehow manage to do it because resources are available. Which is cupability on the player and not anyone else.

If you wanted it badly you would go out and get it. There is no excuse for being committed 100%

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely disagree, because otherwise this horrible lazy culture will remain forever ingrained in our domestic system. If you are fortunate enough to be playing FC or List A cricket your fitness should remain up to par and that should be the end of it. It is nobody's fault but your own at that point.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz has passed and Yasir has failed. Some are also saying Imad has failed. But if he has truly failed then according to Mickey's previous claims mean that Imad won't be selected.
    There are reports that Mickey Arthur has asked to exempt Imad Wasim from the fitness test.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    There are reports that Mickey Arthur has asked to exempt Imad Wasim from the fitness test.
    There are some people saying that we'll find out on the 17th the people who passed and those that failed. Is this true?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given he's the closest thing to an all rounder in Pakistan we have what choice does Mickey have? The team is hilariously imbalanced without Imad. Either the tail gets too long or we go in a bowler too light.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am keenly observing how will they handle Imad Wasim as he is Mickey's favorite. Despite falling fitness tests multiple times in past he was dropped only once from the National side and rewarded with Karachi Kings and Pakistan's capatincy under Mickey. Even failed the fitness test against Aus despite being with the team for 3+ years now.

If Abid is going to be dropped because of his fitness (which i think is an excuse) than Imad should be dropped too.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Given he's the closest thing to an all rounder in Pakistan we have what choice does Mickey have? The team is hilariously imbalanced without Imad. Either the tail gets too long or we go in a bowler too light.
    Imad isn't really a wicket taking bowler. When the ball becomes old, he's as helpful as Amir has been in the last 12 months.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are some people saying that we'll find out on the 17th the people who passed and those that failed. Is this true?
    From what i am hearing Imad Wasim hasnt given the fitness test today. Lets see if he gives the test tomorrow but i doubt.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Imad isn't really a wicket taking bowler. When the ball becomes old, he's as helpful as Amir has been in the last 12 months.
    Amir in the last 12 months wouldn't be so bad if that was his role. It's Imad's role to try and contain the batsmen/ get through overs, maybe get a wicket here and there. Amir's job is to take wickets regularly.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abid just gave Inzamam the only excuse he could have, to be dropped for the World Cup.

Imam will be pretty relaxed.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt Imad yaair and sarfraz can pass it, another way ti take whom they like.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Imad fails the fitness test I’d like to see the same treatment given to him as to what happens to abod Ali

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what i am hearing Imad Wasim hasnt given the fitness test today. Lets see if he gives the test tomorrow but i doubt.
    Spin/Slow bowlers who can end up with figures like 1-45 or 0-40 are going to come very handy in WC, can change the dynamics of the bowling unit as it gives others a license to attack. We saw how incompetent Nawaz was in this role in the Asia Cup. Plus Imad is the closest to a finisher we have. Fahim and Shadab aren't good enough for finisher's role yet.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think Abid Ali should make friends with Azam Khan and bring him to all the fitness tests and stand next to him all the time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fitness is extremely important, as unfit players are unlikely to convert easy singles to twos and twos to threes. Plus the same applies in the field as the unfit guys are likely to give away 20-30 runs in the field.

Saying that, I would like for a more durable and customized as per player's role fitness tests. We saw how Hasan Ali was nailing the fitness tests, yet was unable to maintain the speeds over the period of a Test Series. Amir in that regard has the poorest fitness of all.

Shoaib Malik, Shadab and Rizwan are the closest to what we have as athletes. Electric in the field and very reliable(in fielding role). But we know about Malik's struggles in his primary discipline of batting and Shadab hasn't developed as well as he should have been. His bowling has been in a slump for last 1 year.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats your opinion but fitness level is not just "fitness" it tells you the level of professionalism the person possesses. Gone are the days when chubby and unfit players could survive for long in international cricket, not now. Shaan is not fitter but he performed against much stiffer opposition, in SA.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous , shouldn't they have done the fitness test before giving him his debut match? PCB works in mysterious ways.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be ironic if Inzi doesn't select a player simply based on his fitness levels.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So he has been fit enough to play for the Pakistan A team for the last year. I guess scoring runs don't matter as long as you can look like a athlete.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who wants to pick that joke of a batsman Shan Masood over Abid Ali just because Shan is more "fit"?

It doesn't and shouldn't work like that.

This is plain stupidity and mockery of talent, merit. They're happy with Shan dad's dreams 8(20) but not with a performer like Abid? Just because of some lame bleep test?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Come on!!! He is not that bad. He is still young and has some potential. Far better than Faisal Iqbal nephew of Miandad.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Fitness should be part of criteria not main aspect. Abid is far better player than Fakhar and Shan combined. PCB should select him this time along with Umar Akmal bit from now on domestic fitness standard needs to be revamped.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering had this been the criteria would inzi could have played even a single match for Pakistan.......to hell with the talent

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think people are overlooking the bigger picture.

Fitness is important not just because of fitness, but the ability to last on the field day after day.

We are arguing for no reason here.

Even if Abid Ali >>>>>> Imam.. there is a VERY LIKELY CHANCE with poor fitness that he will strike a century in one game and sit out of the others because of a BACK STRAIN or groin strain.

And if he loses it, midway through the tournament, in a crucial match, Pakistan are doomed.

Fitness standards are bare minimum and they are not hard.

If you can't perform a 2k run in the time period, how you gonna last a 30 day world cup batting out marathon innings day after day?

You just can't.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I think people are overlooking the bigger picture.

Fitness is important not just because of fitness, but the ability to last on the field day after day.

We are arguing for no reason here.

Even if Abid Ali >>>>>> Imam.. there is a VERY LIKELY CHANCE with poor fitness that he will strike a century in one game and sit out of the others because of a BACK STRAIN or groin strain.

And if he loses it, midway through the tournament, in a crucial match, Pakistan are doomed.

Fitness standards are bare minimum and they are not hard.

If you can't perform a 2k run in the time period, how you gonna last a 30 day world cup batting out marathon innings day after day?

You just can't.
    Your examples are quite flawed.

Do you know how the fitness is judged? It's through something called a bleep test. And the score difference is in fractions, 17.1 vs 17.4.

Which means Abid is totally fit and fine to play professional cricket, as he has been playing without any issues for the A team, for Pak in Aus series and scoring heavily in domestics.

Don't be fooled by 'but but but failed fitness test'.

You don't want someone like Shan Masood getting picked just because he scored 17.4 on a non cricketing test and Abid scored 17.1.

Logic isn't there.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Your examples are quite flawed.

Do you know how the fitness is judged? It's through something called a bleep test. And the score difference is in fractions, 17.1 vs 17.4.

Which means Abid is totally fit and fine to play professional cricket, as he has been playing without any issues for the A team, for Pak in Aus series and scoring heavily in domestics.

Don't be fooled by 'but but but failed fitness test'.

You don't want someone like Shan Masood getting picked just because he scored 17.4 on a non cricketing test and Abid scored 17.1.

Logic isn't there.
    I am not arguing whether the system is flawed or not.

If the system is flawed, you have your own point.

I am just arguing the premise is "fitness does not matter if you are good enough" logic that is repeatedly parroted on these forums.

There should be a certain standard of fitness and everyone should be expected to pass that standard. You could argue if the standard is right or wrong or not viable but that isn't my argument.

As far as 17.1 and 17.4 is concerned, I don't know what the cutoff point is. But you have to establish a cutoff at a certain point.

Lets assume the cutoff is 17.2 which means you can't include 17.1. If you keep lowering the cutoff to include crowd favorites soon you will lower the cut-off to 15.5.

So even though decimals don't matter, at a certain cutoff, they do.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    The fitness standards shouldnt stop new players from being selected, as they've never had to adhere to this fitness system before. If you fail a fitness test, it should only count for those who were already in the team from before.

Not picking Abid just because of a fitness test would be wrong, and it would be doing too far. Plus, there's still more than a month until the world Cup. A month of hard work can do a lot.
    No....it is not a logical point because he along with all other domestic players, especially performing players like him must have known about the fitness standard to play for pak in micky era especially from champains trophy and two years are more than enough to reach this required fitness level..... So, it is their fault to take it lightly.
    Last edited by Kashmiri_Pak_fan; 16th April 2019 at 13:29. Reason: Misspell

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt Imad will be dropped even though he has failed.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't think he should be in the WC squad anyway. Harsh, but no room for him

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Birmingham, U.K.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many "experts" on here think fitness is not important or overrated.
    Yes cricketing skills and ability are very important but they are only consistently useful if a player is fit.

Abid Ali scored a century against Australia. Great. In the end he played a tired looking shot and couldn't see his team through to the end. If he and others had the required fitness standard our batsmen would be rotating the strike and taking singles.

Unfit players are not going to take fielders on and take too many quick singles. They will just accumulate dot balls and then play a high risk shot.

Generally most batsmen from Pakistan do exactly that. dot balls then high risk low percentage shot to get out.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selecting Abid Ali for the World Cup on the basis of 2 ODIs will be a joke. Fitness or no fitness.

For once in a blue moon we have our top order piling up big runs and the last thing you want is to disrupt that and politicise nepotism and other factors. That is the role of media journalists who make a living on this, the PCB need to think differently. Remember the days of 20/3 every game?

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly rocket science ,if you’ve been watching Pakistani teams over the years then you know one thing for sure that there is NO fitness requirements to be a professional cricketer.. hell even Moin Khan tells his son to not even bother with baggy clothes

Waiting for the day when there will be no p....i player in a green shirt

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For those saying Abid is not fit enough to play for Pakistan I tell you one thing:
    Abid scored a 200 in domestic one days and was also the wicket keeper in that match (as he used to be a wickeeper for 4 years).

Noe go figure that out how he did that with "poor" fitness.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pick him and then give him a time frame to get fit.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Fitness requirements should be different (less stressful) for batsman than bowlers or WKs, therefore I think guy should be considered for the squad. If itís not an injury (soft tissue issues), he can improve on over all fitness in between the the time through pro conditioning- still 6 weeks left. Also, in recent time guy has played 3 hundreds & a 95 in UAE & Rawalpindi, batting over 35 overs and batting after fielding as well - might not be the best mover, but batting stamina must not be that bad. He can shade body fat by couple of KG more in proper way by the WC.

A batsmanís biggest fitness for cricket is to score runs & stay in middle- guy has done that for lot this entire season and they can always hide him in field. If Imad, Amir & Hafeez can make the squad with their fitness (I donít bother about YoYo score - have seen, Imad, Amir, Hafeez & Sarfraz in action plenty), donít think Anid should be sidelined for fitness only. If they are not sure about his game, then fair enough, but I feel PTCís management is using fitness as a tool to justify their calls (regarding not considering a player).
    Last edited by MMHS; 16th April 2019 at 16:37.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I am not arguing whether the system is flawed or not.

If the system is flawed, you have your own point.

I am just arguing the premise is "fitness does not matter if you are good enough" logic that is repeatedly parroted on these forums.

There should be a certain standard of fitness and everyone should be expected to pass that standard. You could argue if the standard is right or wrong or not viable but that isn't my argument.

As far as 17.1 and 17.4 is concerned, I don't know what the cutoff point is. But you have to establish a cutoff at a certain point.

Lets assume the cutoff is 17.2 which means you can't include 17.1. If you keep lowering the cutoff to include crowd favorites soon you will lower the cut-off to 15.5.

So even though decimals don't matter, at a certain cutoff, they do.
    "Fitness doesn't matter" is a lame sentence indeed.

But the context here is different. He's fit to play professional cricket. Has scored 200s in domestics, have played in the middle without any issues for 35 freaking overs. Did exceptionally well in the A team.

All the indicators show he's perfect for pro cricket. And scoring a 17.1 doesn't mean he's not fit. That scoring without a player's context is very wrong.

IF Mickey thinks there's just one cut-off without looking at the whole context or a player's history, then Mickey would be a fool.

Same like others who think scoring a 17.1 for a top performer means he has failed the fitness test. He hasn't. It's just foolish to not look at the whole picture.

Of course if someone is obese, cannot field for 50 overs and cannot bat for a good number of overs, he will be unfit. Won't even thrive at the FC and List A level.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    "Fitness doesn't matter" is a lame sentence indeed.

But the context here is different. He's fit to play professional cricket. Has scored 200s in domestics, have played in the middle without any issues for 35 freaking overs. Did exceptionally well in the A team.

All the indicators show he's perfect for pro cricket. And scoring a 17.1 doesn't mean he's not fit. That scoring without a player's context is very wrong.

IF Mickey thinks there's just one cut-off without looking at the whole context or a player's history, then Mickey would be a fool.

Same like others who think scoring a 17.1 for a top performer means he has failed the fitness test. He hasn't. It's just foolish to not look at the whole picture.

Of course if someone is obese, cannot field for 50 overs and cannot bat for a good number of overs, he will be unfit. Won't even thrive at the FC and List A level.
    That's not the point. Abid knew what his fitness standard should be. This is a violation of discipline. Just coz he scored one century people are thinking he's the next Sachin Tendulkar.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why is it that Hasnain also failed? He looks fit and muscular then you are telling me Sarfaraz is fitter than him because Sarf easily met the fitness cut-off?

These fitness tests are either antiquated or not what is the requirement of a cricketer.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have said this since Arthur came into the Pakistan set up that he should have initiated a full revamp of the fitness standards for players in the domestic to the international team.

Some may say this is not Arthur's job, but as an international coach he should have made it really clear to the PCB that for players to come through, fitness standards throughout the domestic scene needs to be brought up to international standards.

Those who are playing domestic then know the international fitness standards they have to match or get upto mark with to make the Pakistan team, that way all the domestic cricketers would have worked towards getting in good shape to have chance of representing the team.

It is no surprise that this has not happened or Abid failed the test as before when his name was mentioned to be picked for Tests his fitness was mentioned to be the thing that will let him down and here again even in the 2 ODI's that he played, it was clearly on show that he was struggling to run between wickets and even in the field too. With these players carrying bellies and extra 5-10kg of fat it will come down to that and they'll continue to fail these.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we need is someone capable in a position like India has for Rahul Dravid.

A capable veteran imparting his knowledge of international cricket onto the younger generation. Under 19 is where you get them to start establishing these good habits. By the time these players hit domestic the bad habits are too ingrained and hard to get rid of.

Proper diet planning, maintaining fitness standards and technique comes at under 19 and they need to do some serious revamp of that setup.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why is it that Hasnain also failed? He looks fit and muscular then you are telling me Sarfaraz is fitter than him because Sarf easily met the fitness cut-off?

These fitness tests are either antiquated or not what is the requirement of a cricketer.
    Just because Sarfi "looks" unfit doesnt mean he is..and just because Hasnain looks "fit" doesnt mean he actually is..

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised Sarfaraz passed it but not surprised that Hasnain did not. A young leaner frame doesnít mean itís fully fit according to the standards.

I am sure they did some hanky pinky with Sarfarazís test.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Can we see the final scorecard of 23?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    I was surprised Sarfaraz passed it but not surprised that Hasnain did not. A young leaner frame doesn’t mean it’s fully fit according to the standards.

I am sure they did some hanky pinky with Sarfaraz’s test.
    Yes, hard to believe Sarfraz is fit enough but, who knows, standard might not be the same for everyone.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abid Ali's last 10 innings: 132, 16, 95, 0, 20, 0, 112, 3, 50*, 8

This shows that he is very inconsistent even in domestic matches. Inconsistency comes with unfit players who get tired after playing a big innings in 1 match and then playing a tired shot in next match if there is not much gap between matches.

We cannot afford these type of players in our WC squad and I will have no issues if he is not selected.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yes, fitness is very important in this day and age of cricket but this is Mr. Chief Selector himself in his own playing days:

Name:  4-16-2019 9-51-22 AM.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  40.4 KB

P.S: If I criticize Inzimam as Chief selector - that does not mean, he was not a great batsman. He was my favorite batsman!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    One of the tests today at the NCA involved a 2k time trial.

Unfortunately Abid Ali struggled to complete the 2k run within the allotted time.

The Pakistan team management are collating the data for all the tests but are unhappy with the standard of fitness of players coming into the international set-up and it's taking them a while to get up to the required levels of fitness.

Domestic coaches and fitness trainers don't seem to be working the players hard enough and this issue has been highlighted to Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan.
    Looks like Abid Ali ate all the Biryani that others Pak Players were not eating (after Wasim Akram's criticism of Biryani )

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Hafeez is fit as only Abid Ali is mentioned as a concern. Return of Hafeez in the middle order is good news. Hafeez was doing much better than Shoaib Malik, When he last played

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W63L35 View Post
    Yes, fitness is very important in this day and age of cricket but this is Mr. Chief Selector himself in his own playing days:

Name:  4-16-2019 9-51-22 AM.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  40.4 KB

P.S: If I criticize Inzimam as Chief selector - that does not mean, he was not a great batsman. He was my favorite batsman!
    Welcome back WL - it has been close to 3 years!!!! Hope everything is fine again.