Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 338
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    1,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Minimum wins for a chance at the 2019 World Cup semi-finals / Wins that guarantee a semi-final slot

    This maybe premature but I am sure we will soon be doing all sorts of calculations and discussing various scenarios on how teams can seal a spot in the final four.

    From basic calculations i think 7 Wins absolutely guarantee you a slot and 5 wins give you a outside chance with a combination of RRD etc.

    Has anyone worked this out in detail?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washouts will play a big role as well.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,411
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka
    Afghanistan
    South Africa

    are not making it.

    Bangladesh look good but don't think they'll make it either


    That leaves you with -

    India
    England
    Pakistan
    Australia
    West Indies
    New Zealand

    You can rule out West Indies.

    You are left with

    India
    England
    Pakistan
    Australia
    New Zealand

  4. #4
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 and 6 wins will qualify straight.
    5 wins will be decided between three teams. 👏

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    919
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Sri Lanka
    Afghanistan
    South Africa

    are not making it.

    Bangladesh look good but don't think they'll make it either


    That leaves you with -

    India
    England
    Pakistan
    Australia
    West Indies
    New Zealand

    You can rule out West Indies.

    You are left with

    India
    England
    Pakistan
    Australia
    New Zealand
    How can you rule out West Indies and Bangladesh and not Pakistan who were bundled out for 105 and have a very bad NRR.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geraltofrivia View Post
    How can you rule out West Indies and Bangladesh and not Pakistan who were bundled out for 105 and have a very bad NRR.
    You can't rule out windies but you can rule out BD.
    Pak just beat eng this is something which BD can definitely not do.
    Wi can beat most of the top teams too. BD can't.
    Last edited by Ronaldo7; 5th June 2019 at 22:55.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    27,096
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geraltofrivia View Post
    How can you rule out West Indies and Bangladesh and not Pakistan who were bundled out for 105 and have a very bad NRR.
    Because Pakistani fans.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    4,581
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    there are probably thousands of scenarios with wins/losses/ties/washouts NR...

    I would think 6 wins would give a team a pretty good chance at qualification. 7 may guarantee it

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    18,741
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Because Pakistani fans.
    I have been saying this since the beginning. Pakistan is very likely to beat Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as if it were a home game.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    50,583
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    5 with a favourable NRR

    6 would definitely be enough

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    50,583
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even table toppers would lose 1-2 games.

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    2,024
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early days but the semi finalist look like
    England, aussies, india and NZ.
    i reckon all these teams can win at least 6 games which should mean straight qualification.
    Only team, i think that can ruin this is Pakistan but they are a long shot.
    Also, the rain might upset who qualifies.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    1,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If England and India win 7/8 games each and beat everyone else,
    then out of the rest only 1 team can win a max of 7 games
    which leaves 4th slot for a team with 6 wins almost guaranteed

    since there may be some washouts etc. and a few upsets, 5 wins with good RRD should be in play

    If all goes ok, we should beat Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and will need just 1 win from Ind,Aus, NZ, SA to have a chance and 2 wins to seal a spot

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    919
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    You can't rule out windies but you can rule out BD.
    Pak just beat eng this is something which BD can definitely not do.
    Wi can beat most of the top teams too. BD can't.
    how do you know that? they defeated eng last world cup and actually defeated pak last year in asia cup too.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geraltofrivia View Post
    how do you know that? they defeated eng last world cup and actually defeated pak last year in asia cup too.
    Defeated a weak eng side and a weak pak side. There's a HUGE difference between the 2015 and the 2019 eng side.
    I'm just being realistic.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,411
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geraltofrivia View Post
    How can you rule out West Indies and Bangladesh and not Pakistan who were bundled out for 105 and have a very bad NRR.


    Mujay kya pagal kuthay ne kuta hai jo mein Pakistan who nika loon ga?

    Windies + Bangla won't be able to handle the pressure.

    As much as I would like Bangla to go to the semis, they won't.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    1,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 wins is pretty much clinching it for me as I see it ... as long as there are a couple of washouts/upsets

  18. #18
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,411
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    West Indies - 0 points
    England - 2 Points
    Sri Lanka - 1 Point
    Australia - 0 Points
    India - 2 Points
    South Africa - 2 Points
    New Zealand - 0 Points
    Afghanistan - 2 Points
    Bangladesh - 2 Points

    I think we might be able to make it to the Semis.

    If only we tuk tuked our way to a decent total vs Windies.

    If there was a truly Misbah effect we would have had a batsman that batted till the 40th over.

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    2,024
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rain is going to mess things up!
    Someone going to get ___ , just like SA did in 1992!

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,377
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    South Africa wont make it seems.

  21. #21
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    Defeated a weak eng side and a weak pak side. There's a HUGE difference between the 2015 and the 2019 eng side.
    I'm just being realistic.
    Excuse never work in cricket . Bangladesh have good chance of making semi if they beat nz today

  22. #22
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkumar825 View Post
    Excuse never work in cricket . Bangladesh have good change of making semi if they beat nz today
    Which they won't (beat nz)...

  23. #23
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    3,202
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any chance for South Africa guys?

    I think Pakistan had 3 points after 5 games in 1992, one of their lead fast bowler Waqar Younis was out injured and they started a remarkable comeback. Something for South Africa to take inspiration from.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    358
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    Any chance for South Africa guys?

    I think Pakistan had 3 points after 5 games in 1992, one of their lead fast bowler Waqar Younis was out injured and they started a remarkable comeback. Something for South Africa to take inspiration from.
    Out of 9 matches they have already lost 3 , and most likely seem to lose against mighty australia and nz -5

    Can easily win vs afg +1

    Vs pak and WI it will be decided on day
    So seems to me they r getting 3-4 wins so i will say no they wont make it to semis as much as we would have loved to see SAF choke in semis ,after 3 consecutive losses they have very little chance.
    Even bd has better chance than saf currently

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    358
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think india can easily win against AFG,bangla, SL

    Has good chance to beat pak,WIN

    Thats 6 wins.

    If top 3 gets in superior form and they even beat one of AUS,ENG,NZ
    I think india has pretty good chance to qualify directly

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    17,915
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It is still wide open there will be D/L drama and some washed out games so luck will also drag few teams into top four in the end. At the moment only South Africa looks like losing the plot, every other side is in the run, even Afghanistan on paper.


    جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    17,915
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshu814 View Post
    I think india can easily win against AFG,bangla, SL

    Has good chance to beat pak,WIN

    Thats 6 wins.

    If top 3 gets in superior form and they even beat one of AUS,ENG,NZ
    I think india has pretty good chance to qualify directly
    It wil be a shame for India if they dont qualify plain and simple.


    جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

  28. #28
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    15,047
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    Any chance for South Africa guys?

    I think Pakistan had 3 points after 5 games in 1992, one of their lead fast bowler Waqar Younis was out injured and they started a remarkable comeback. Something for South Africa to take inspiration from.
    They are in deep trouble. That BD loss really hurt them. They still have to play WI, PAK, NZ and Australia. They need to beat atleast 3 of them and somehow ensure that their NRR is very good at the end of that. I think this World Cup is over for them. They need a miracle.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    358
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhump View Post
    It wil be a shame for India if they dont qualify plain and simple.
    Ofc india will qualify , i was talking about they way they will qualify.

    And ofc it will be shameful for most of teams that dont qualify,

    Aus-always seems Mighty in wc

    Eng-on hometurf ,getting flat pattas ,in good form

    Ind-ranked 2nd ,having really good odi recorf in last 4 years

    Pak-having won last icc trophy, they must qualify ,chest thumpin fans :-p

    SAF -always beast in wc league rounds,best chance to remove choker tag

    Nz- after so many years ,finally seems to be a major player and has started wc in best way possible

    BAN- ditto nz with a potential to become fearful cricketing side

    All above teams for given reason will be really ashamed if not qualify

    While last few years havent been good for SL,WIN so one can understnd if they dont qualify

    And afg is taking baby steps :-)

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    1,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's path to SF

    According to schedule: SL, AUS, IND, SA, NZ, AFG, BD

    as long as they beat the minnows, they need 2 wins from the middle sequence of Aus, Ind, SA and NZ to seal it

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    17,915
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshu814 View Post
    Ofc india will qualify , i was talking about they way they will qualify.

    And ofc it will be shameful for most of teams that dont qualify,

    Aus-always seems Mighty in wc

    Eng-on hometurf ,getting flat pattas ,in good form

    Ind-ranked 2nd ,having really good odi recorf in last 4 years

    Pak-having won last icc trophy, they must qualify ,chest thumpin fans :-p

    SAF -always beast in wc league rounds,best chance to remove choker tag

    Nz- after so many years ,finally seems to be a major player and has started wc in best way possible

    BAN- ditto nz with a potential to become fearful cricketing side

    All above teams for given reason will be really ashamed if not qualify

    While last few years havent been good for SL,WIN so one can understnd if they dont qualify

    And afg is taking baby steps :-)
    I dont agree with marked four teams.

    Pakistan is a poor team probably one of the weakest team in the world cup with horrible record in ODI since CT 2017 which was also won due to sudden moment of brilliance that is a typical Pakistani style but no one will consider them in probably top 4.

    South Africa is weaker than we all imagined, New Zealand is horrible at handeling pressure as we are watching right now and Bangladesh is still minnow in their own mind and way too excited to do anything amazing.

    After Ind,Aus,Eng there is slot for one of mentioned above or West Indies if any one of these top 3 teams misses out it will be a shame for them others need to fight work hard and qualify.


    جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    72,327
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    5 wins and perhaps that could be enough, although it may get NRR to sort it out.



  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    1,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    5 wins and perhaps that could be enough, although it may get NRR to sort it out.

    If that happens... the WI loss will surely come back to haunt us

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    358
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhump View Post
    I dont agree with marked four teams.

    Pakistan is a poor team probably one of the weakest team in the world cup with horrible record in ODI since CT 2017 which was also won due to sudden moment of brilliance that is a typical Pakistani style but no one will consider them in probably top 4.

    South Africa is weaker than we all imagined, New Zealand is horrible at handeling pressure as we are watching right now and Bangladesh is still minnow in their own mind and way too excited to do anything amazing.

    After Ind,Aus,Eng there is slot for one of mentioned above or West Indies if any one of these top 3 teams misses out it will be a shame for them others need to fight work hard and qualify.
    Ofc pakistan has been poor recently ,no doubt but when you win last title called "champions" trophy and defeat probably strongest team (ENG) in wc group stage ,it does say they have what it take. Thats why it will be shameful for them if not qualify

    SAF isnt weaker than all imagined ,almost all of the batsman they have has been match winner from times to time and they were really good odi side before they got destroyed by ind at home. And has really decent pace attack with tahir who was exceptional in ipl. They have suddenly lost form as a team but i can assure u they will come good and defeat one of the major teams still even if they dont qualify

    Nz is coming of really good , having struggeled vs bang today doesnt mean they r not in flying colors, at the end its just win that matters,even india almost lost nidhas trophy to bangladesh but that doesnt make them not being able to handle pressure ,you win= u somehow managed pressure

    Bangladesh may be minnow mentality but they sure will worry everyother team , they have lesser chance to qualify but if will be shameful for them because they r starting to call themmajor player and if they cant qualify it will all be considered farse

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    72,327
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zorawar View Post
    If that happens... the WI loss will surely come back to haunt us
    Win 6 games and that won't matter



  36. #36
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like pak’s game against SL on Friday will be a washout, could that hurt pak?

  37. #37
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Win 6 games and that won't matter
    The Sri lanka match will be washed out. So how does that affect things??
    Will 5wins and a NR be enough?

  38. #38
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    3,802
    Mentioned
    1279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Given no match is washed out. I reckon this is the most likely scenario:

    Australia, India and England should qualify, that leaves one spot. Pakistan, New Zealand and the West Indies may be fighting for that spot.

    Pakistan should and needs to beat Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and I reckon we'll beat South Africa. Meaning we'll need to beat one of Australia, India or New Zealand to get to 6 wins. A win against New Zealand would almost definitely guarantee qualification for Pakistan. The two most crucial and deciding games may well be Pakistan Vs New Zealand and New Zealand Vs West Indies.


    They call me Harvey Specter.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    940
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What will be the equation if Pakistan vs SL is washed out

  40. #40
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    14,352
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It says a lot about this horrible WC format that a team can lose 3 or 4 times in the group stage yet still go on to win the tournament. You would never see that in any other sporting World Cup. Itís embarrassing that you can win a World Cup even after losing several games.

    But of course we have to have the so called big 3 or 4 make the semi finals so we end up being stuck with this archaic format.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    482
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 losses max with our net run rate.
    Pakistan already lost to windies. Can afford to lose to maybe India and Australia but must beat all the other teams to reach semis.

  42. #42
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    pakistan
    Runs
    805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnowbasher View Post
    3 losses max with our net run rate.
    Pakistan already lost to windies. Can afford to lose to maybe India and Australia but must beat all the other teams to reach semis.
    With SL match wash out, we can now only afford one more loss not two

  43. #43
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adil79 View Post
    With SL match wash out, we can now only afford one more loss not two
    We still can afford two losses.

  44. #44
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    pakistan
    Runs
    805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    We still can afford two losses.
    we could in total afford 3 losses + NRR if we dont have any game washout. If its a washout, we cant afford 3 losses. consider SL game to be washout, we can only afford one loss out of the next 6 games and that will probably come from india. So, all other games are kind of knockout if we want to secure semi final berth

  45. #45
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adil79 View Post
    we could in total afford 3 losses + NRR if we dont have any game washout. If its a washout, we cant afford 3 losses. consider SL game to be washout, we can only afford one loss out of the next 6 games and that will probably come from india. So, all other games are kind of knockout if we want to secure semi final berth
    It really depends on the other games as well. Some other matches may be washed out too.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    42,135
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    SA and Afghanistan are out, you can say Bangladesh and SL too given the opponents they have left.

    4th spot between NZ, WI and Pakistan.

    Aus, England and India are strong enough to get 5+ wins and qualify with a top 3 spot.

    This was all predictable, my money is on WI. Pakistan are too inconsistent. I think WI will qualify on NRR with Pak and NZ finishing on 5 wins.
    Last edited by Aman; 6th June 2019 at 03:55.


    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

  47. #47
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    pakistan
    Runs
    805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    It really depends on the other games as well. Some other matches may be washed out too.
    Talking about guaranteed slot as OP title, not may be

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    42,135
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    They are in deep trouble. That BD loss really hurt them. They still have to play WI, PAK, NZ and Australia. They need to beat atleast 3 of them and somehow ensure that their NRR is very good at the end of that. I think this World Cup is over for them. They need a miracle.
    I feel sorry for them, they had no chance to settle and effectively are out. First game against Eng, followed by Bangladesh and India. They've had the roughest draw by far. AB was wise to retire.


    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

  49. #49
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    pakistan
    Runs
    805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From this point forward, upsets are good. The team exiting wc should win matches just to make way for pakistan

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adil79 View Post
    Talking about guaranteed slot as OP title, not may be
    Mathematically even 7 wins may not be enough.

    7x5= 35 (5 teams with 7wins each)
    5th team misses out even though they had 7 wins.
    2◊5=10 (5 teams with 2 wins each)

  51. #51
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    pakistan
    Runs
    805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    Mathematically even 7 wins may not be enough.

    7x5= 35 (5 teams with 7wins each)
    5th team misses out even though they had 7 wins.
    2◊5=10 (5 teams with 2 wins each)
    ok

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    7,305
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Saj what are the teams standing?


    Rlaely it desonít mttaer waht I wirte youíll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Hanover Park
    Runs
    2,538
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont even think about this.nmnplay every single game to win and you will make it. Team is coming together now and after beating England had the ability to beat every other team with the 2 really tough games being Australia and India. If we play to our potential we should best the rest and even with 2 more losses to Australia and India we should be in semis. Bigger risk I see is rain against lower ranked teams like srl. Let's hope that doesnt hapoen against Lower teams but j would happily take one point against Australia or India, and hope to best them in semi or final.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,933
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    6 should be enough. The WI result will hurt badly if it comes down to nrr.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    2,181
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    I feel sorry for them, they had no chance to settle and effectively are out. First game against Eng, followed by Bangladesh and India. They've had the roughest draw by far. AB was wise to retire.
    Tough draw? BD plays RSA, NZ, Eng on its first 3 games. RSA is number 3 side.

    RSA is still not out yet. They were expected to lose against Eng and India. Only upset was against BD. BD is not going to threaten semi spot, NZ/WI/ Pak will. RSA just need to make sure they beat those teams.

    Once RSA is in semi, anything is possible. At the moment though looks pretty ominous for them.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    15,047
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    I feel sorry for them, they had no chance to settle and effectively are out. First game against Eng, followed by Bangladesh and India. They've had the roughest draw by far. AB was wise to retire.
    Draw wasn't unfair. Look at the teams that BD, PAK and England have played. SA just never got into their groove. Even if they had, im not sure they have the quality to compete against top teams this time.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    2,600
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Too early to call but can say this.

    India - their batting is over-rated and will be found out in upcoming games. I know people here may not agree. However, before throwing any stats pls wait for them to play at least two more games.

    NZ - haven't really been tested yet and if not for crucial mistakes by BD they (NZ) would have lost

    For PK to qualify they should just think of winning remaining matches and beating Eng was a great effort. This confidence will take them a long way

    PK, WI, ENG and IN for semis

  58. #58
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,607
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So how do Pakistan make it to the semis.....

    It's very simple.
    Our net run rate is bad. Very bad and almost irrecoverable.
    If we assume England Aus and India are the strongest teams and will qualify, we need all the rest of the competition to lose 4 games. This will mean that they can not exceed 10 points.
    If we then win 4 out of our remaining 6, then we get to 11 points.

    So how do our competition get to 4 losses.

    SA - they are almost there (Australia to play)

    WI- we need them to lose to the big 3 and SA.

    NZ - need to lose to the big 3 and any 1 of WI, SA

    Bang- need to lose to big 3 and job done as already lost to NZ

    In none of the above have i factored that Pak will hand the 4th defeat to the above 4 teams, so we provide the cover!

    We also have Afg and SL who may pick up a shock win here and there ( less likely to be against big 3 and more likely to be against our competition)

    So overall I think the game against Aus is huge, and we can't afford a washout ( unless the India game too is washed out too;))
    And we support all the teams that play against NZ and WI for the rest of the group phase.


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  59. #59
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,411
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No chance for the following teams -

    Bangladesh
    South Africa
    Sri Lanka
    Afghanistan

    The following are all but confirmed -

    India
    England
    Australia

    The fourth spot is between -

    Pakistan
    West Indies
    New Zealand

  60. #60
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    6,605
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is there any possibility that Pakistan can get in with 3 more wins?

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,620
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4th spot is the interesting slot. A/E/I very likely to make SF.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    550
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    West Indies - 0 points
    England - 2 Points
    Sri Lanka - 1 Point
    Australia - 0 Points
    India - 2 Points
    South Africa - 2 Points
    New Zealand - 0 Points
    Afghanistan - 2 Points
    Bangladesh - 2 Points

    I think we might be able to make it to the Semis.

    If only we tuk tuked our way to a decent total vs Windies.

    If there was a truly Misbah effect we would have had a batsman that batted till the 40th over.
    you think you will beat india? really?
    what is this confidence based on?

  63. #63
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,411
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captain.hansolo View Post
    you think you will beat india? really?
    what is this confidence based on?
    Rocky bhai's vision + Fathers day + Law of averages

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's clear .. India, England, Australia and West Indies/New Zealand are confirmed.
    If miracles then will take SA to Semis.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    It's clear .. India, England, Australia and West Indies/New Zealand are confirmed.
    If miracles then will take SA to Semis.
    Leaving out Pakistan?

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    Leaving out Pakistan?
    Yes.. Luck will not support always. Talent matters.

    Tell me frankly do you think Pak better than Australia, india and new Zealand??

  67. #67
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    Yes.. Luck will not support always. Talent matters.

    Tell me frankly do you think Pak better than Australia, india and new Zealand??
    On par with NZ.
    NZ just lost 4-1 against ind at home. I wouldn't rate them higher than pak.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo7 View Post
    On par with NZ.
    NZ just lost 4-1 against ind at home. I wouldn't rate them higher than pak.
    Your blindness.. I am speaking reality here.

    We defeated NZ because of our strong team.
    Will not be same applicable to Pak.

    Saw some pak fans happy for single point with Sri Lanka. This is the level of Pak cricket.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    885
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are people saying that New Zealand and Australia are already confirmed for Semi Finals. I am not sure about that.

    India will beat Australia
    England will beat Australia.
    If they lose against Pakistan then they are in trouble since their game v New zealand will be crunch.

    Same goes for Kiwiz.
    England and India will beat Kiwiz.
    Their games against Pakistan and Australia will determine their spot.

    I think one of them will not make it to semi finals.

    Pakistan just needs 2 wins from 4 matches (Aus, Ind, SA, Nzl) plus 2 further Bang and Afg
    that is 8 points
    we already have 3 points.
    11 points will be enough.
    nothing to worry.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    3,726
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    Your blindness.. I am speaking reality here.

    We defeated NZ because of our strong team.
    Will not be same applicable to Pak.

    Saw some pak fans happy for single point with Sri Lanka. This is the level of Pak cricket.

    We drew 1-1 at home vs nz.
    Also no pak fan would be happy for a single point vs sri lanka when we were the favourites.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th June 2019 at 02:33.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue of net run rate might come to haunt Pakistan if it gets tied on points with other teams. The washout against Sri Lanka hasnt helped their cause. A win against Sri Lanka could have given them a better prospect for reaching semi final.

    Vs
    Aus - ???
    India - ???
    Afg - Win
    SA - Win
    NZ - ???
    BAN - Win

    I guess they should win against SA, BAN and AFG and must win one more game, better if they win two. So out of 6 matches they need to win at least 4 to have any chances of reaching semi final. Infact they should aim for 5 wins coz their net run rate is too bad which might hamper their chances.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    885
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    The issue of net run rate might come to haunt Pakistan if it gets tied on points with other teams. The washout against Sri Lanka hasnt helped their cause. A win against Sri Lanka could have given them a better prospect for reaching semi final.

    Vs
    Aus - ???
    India - ???
    Afg - Win
    SA - Win
    NZ - ???
    BAN - Win

    I guess they should win against SA, BAN and AFG and must win one more game, better if they win two. So out of 6 matches they need to win at least 4 to have any chances of reaching semi final. Infact they should aim for 5 wins coz their net run rate is too bad which might hamper their chances.
    Do you know statistics mate. Once Pakistan is on 11 Points, then NRR will be out of equation since all other teams will finish either on 10,12,14 points. Only scenario is if there is a tied Match between 2 countries or a complete washout which will not happen again in this world cup.

    With 11 points, Pakistan need not to worry about NRR. Just win 4 more matches.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    103
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my calculation - Pakistan is playing final.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,411
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy2018 View Post
    Here is my calculation - Pakistan is playing final.
    I thought you said we will beat India + win the World Cup due to Wahab

  75. #75
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarwar89 View Post
    Do you know statistics mate. Once Pakistan is on 11 Points, then NRR will be out of equation since all other teams will finish either on 10,12,14 points. Only scenario is if there is a tied Match between 2 countries or a complete washout which will not happen again in this world cup.

    With 11 points, Pakistan need not to worry about NRR. Just win 4 more matches.
    This stat will go for a toss if teams finish with 12, 12 14,14 or might be 16 too . Remember what @Saj said, win 6 matches and get straight to semis without bothering about net run rate.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    4,608
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand have had early luck by playing ****** games up front. Playing Ban/Afg at the end is always high-pressure because you need to win with a 'specific run-rate', something that we suck at.

    If we lose the game against Australia then it is going to be impossible for us to catch up.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    885
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    This stat will go for a toss if teams finish with 12, 12 14,14 or might be 16 too . Remember what @Saj said, win 6 matches and get straight to semis without bothering about net run rate.
    Mathematically it is highly improbable if 4 teams finish on 14 16 12 12 points
    10 10 11 12 14 16 looks like the probable scenario
    England 16
    India 14
    Aus 12
    Pak 11
    Nzl 10
    West indies 10

  78. #78
    Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    3,445
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Pakistan to qualify, it would mostly like be New Zealand that Pak would be competing against for a 4th Semi Finalist Spot.

    New Zealand would have to lose their all 4 big games against India,Aus, England and WI or SA. That will leave them with 10 Points.

    On the other hand, Pakistan would have to win at least 4 out of their next 6 matches against ... Ind, Aus, SA, NZ, Bang & Afg.

    I expect them to win against Bang & Afg. then they would have to win 2 out of the 4 games and if they manage to win 3 of those 4 then they are pretty much guaranteed a semi-final spot ...
    Last edited by shaaik; 8th June 2019 at 23:49.



  79. #79
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,620
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Games against Bangladesh's Sri Lanka will (largely) decide if Pakistan's semi-final fate

    If we beat Lanka (we should), we will be in with a good chance. However, if we lose that game, we are not going to progress. That is the easiest 2 points available for us bar Afghanistan.

    The next game is huge.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    40,809
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll let you in on a secret.....Bangladesh are going home.



    This is statement is not because of any hate for BD but out of logic and rational thought. At the moment BD have played three and won one.


    They have three massive fixtures remaining, India, Australia and Pakistan. BD need atleast 2/3 wins from these fixtures. Even if we assume you somehow beat Pakistan do you really think you can beat Australia or India?


    Suppose even if you somehow do 2/3 then you have to win 3/3 against SL, AFG and WI. AFG you will beat and SL will be 50/50 while WI in current form will demolish BD.


    BD's only chance of semi qualification was

    Beat SA
    Beat NZ
    Beat Pak
    Beat SL
    Beat Afg
    Beat WI

    You managed first one but then faltered against NZ. Other results also seem unlikely. BD will go home with wins against SA, SL and AFG. Not a bad tournament.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •