Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

[REPORTS] Pakistan could have separate captains and head coaches for Test and limited-overs teams

Pakistan could have separate captains and head coaches for Test and limited-overs teams, say PCB sources

Pakistan could have separate captains and head coaches for Test and limited overs cricket following its failure to qualify for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 semifinals in England.

A well-placed source in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) told PTI that when the Cricket Committee meets later this month, a proposal to split the captaincy and coaching for the different formats would be up for discussion.

“Since Pakistan has to play eight Tests of the World Test Championship against Sri Lanka, Australia, Bangladesh and England before the T20 World Cup in Australia next year, the PCB is pretty concerned about how to improve performance of the team in Tests,” the source said.

Pakistan will be playing only three ODIs but nine to 10 T20s before the T20 Asia Cup and T20 World Cup next year, prompting PCB to consider separate captains and coaches for red and white-ball cricket,” he said.

He said PCB Managing Director Wasim Khan met with Wasim Akram, who is a member of the Cricket Committee, in London earlier this month. The former captain and fast bowler had advised the MD that the board should retain Sarfraz Ahmed and Mickey Arthur for the limited overs cricket until the T20 World Cup.

“But the board is now considering the option of having separate captains and head coaches for Test and limited overs cricket with the support staff i.e manager, bowling coach, batting coach, trainer, fielding coach, physiotherapist remaining the same for all formats.”

ALSO READ: Split captaincy, applications for new coach on agenda during PCB’s Cricket Committee meeting

Pakistan is presently sixth in the ODI rankings and number one in T20s but it is in Test cricket where Sarfaraz and Arthur have failed to achieve anything notable in last two and half years. The Test team is languishing at number seven in the ICC rankings having lost home series to Sri Lanka, New Zealand before being outclassed in South Africa.

The source said if the board decides to split the red ball and white ball captains and head coach positions than senior batsmen Asad Shafiq and Azhar Ali are likely to be the top candidates for the captaincy.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...oaching-871046

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I'd keep Sarfraz as LOI captain and make Azhar Test captain, but he must also open.

shafiq should be culled altogether, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i dont believe anything source says ... that is his own agenda this source is blowing his own trumpet

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Yeah by all means consider all options.

Don't think split coaching would work on a practical level. However split captaincy is sensible.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't agree with Azhar and Shafiq being kept in the team whatsoever. They failed badly when they were needed in the last series.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    split coaches is a recipe for disaster

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be good!
    About time pcb realises that red ball cricket and white ball cricket are two different games.
    I guess this will also allow pcb to keep mickey in a job, as i stated in previous threads, mickey's contacts are too important to let go!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This word senior makes my blood boil now

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Split captaincy is OK but split coach seems not good for Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hypothetical scenario if the above is implemented
    Limited over cricket coach Mickey arthur
    test format coach Andy flower

Odi captain :Imad/babar azam
    test captain :Shan masood/babar azam
    t20 captain :Sarfraz ahmed

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Any news who are in run to become coach ? Any notable names ?

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as i know they are considering aqib javed as bowling coach, inzi batting coach and moin selector whereas team manager position will be offered to mohsin hasan.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachoKhan View Post
    As far as i know they are considering aqib javed as bowling coach, inzi batting coach and moin selector whereas team manager position will be offered to mohsin hasan.
    Aqib Javed will take our bowling to Papua New Guinea standards. Be ready to see Shaheen trundling at 115 kph back of a length bowling.

That’s why that sounds very very doubtful.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar/Wasim/Mohd Zahid/Shoib

Out of the box

Allan Donald/Sean Pollack

Batting,

Yousef,Younis, Misbah

Out of the box

Ponting/Graham Smith/Dean Jones/Viv Richard

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misia View Post
    Waqar/Wasim/Mohd Zahid/Shoib

Out of the box

Allan Donald/Sean Pollack

Batting,

Yousef,Younis, Misbah

Out of the box

Ponting/Graham Smith/Dean Jones/Viv Richard
    Ponting is already in the coaching unit of Aussie national team..

Dont think Ponting or Graeme would take coaching job from pak tbh...They do have better jobs with them right now.

Dean and Viv are too old for being batting coaches...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree that Mickey and Sarfraz have failed to do anything notable in the tests ... Surely have to be changed... Enough of Mickeys love for bits and pieces players in tests + not playing 2 frontline spinners in UAE which was pakistans recipe for success in tests in UAE for the last decade....

Azhar deserves test captaincy
    Head coach : Inzi
    Batting coach: Younis

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are people in their right minds? How on earth some people are suggesting azhar as captain. This guy should be kicked out. It was embrassing watching him bat in SA. He's past it now and should be kicked out.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím not completely sold on this idea.

It can work for other countries but not for Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I do kind of like the idea as Mickey seems to coach better for ODI's & T2Os. If they do go down that route, then the test coach has to be another foreigner as there would be too many politics if it was a Pakistani.

The name that springs to my mind for the test coach is Andy Flower.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Split captains is fine but coaching not sure about that one especially in Pak cricket, this could be a recipe for disaster

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We should absolutely have separate captains. Limited overs and tests are different games, and captains can focus on one particular style of captaincy. It also increases accountability, too many times we've had a captain's failings in one format overlooked as he succeeds in another we're not going to dominate all three formats like that.

Should be the same captain for ODIs and T20s though. And a different captain for tests.

Split coaches I don't think would work, and feels unnecessary. Coaches are paid well to do their job, they should be able to adapt to the different formats, they're not burdened by playing as a player too. It will also cause problems I imagine when choosing to rest players for certain formats, or too many coaches advising players different things.

I would have ODI and T20 captain either Sarfraz or Imad. And if we choose one of them, they must captain both formats not just one.

Tests not sure we have any real options, but Sarfraz has been awful as a player for years and hasn't had good results in tests. Maybe Masood if he knows how to captain would be my pick. Fakhar would have been a shout, but not sure he's suited for tests and has LOI woes. Probably not worth risking Babar who's just coming into his own in that format. Might even have to bring in a domestic captain like we did for Misbah. We don't really have much to lose experimenting with captains in tests, we're losing so much in that format anyway and it feels like a mess anyway. Any change could be good.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't think we should have split coaches. What if our LO coaches wants certain players rested for tests and vice versa? It would also impact the results of the other format. There would be issues with selections.

Don't mind split captaincy as long as the player makes the team on merit, sets a good example, has time left in their career, and is performing well regularly .

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    hypothetical scenario if the above is implemented
    Limited over cricket coach Mickey arthur
    test format coach Andy flower

Odi captain :Imad/babar azam
    test captain :Shan masood/babar azam
    t20 captain :Sarfraz ahmed
    I will prefer waqar as a test coach.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again trying to keep someone in the team. sarfarz does not have any performance to keep him in the team. but some quarters are trying hard ko keep him alive. dont know what he Will do in ODIs. and has nothing to show for in test.

I feel it's time to say goodbye to sarfarz.

Further I don't see why you need a separate captain for test and one-day's. yes we may try a separate captain for T20. but for test and ODI we should have one captain.

the best possible candidate for me is Haris sohail. he is automatic selection in both forms and looks intelligent enough to read the game.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ghich Phich hojaigi..... Pakistani cricketers are not smart enough to get two different sets of instructions...

Mein inko rolaonga