User Tag List

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Imran Nazir: Greatest waste of batting talent ever?

Back in the days, I remember getting excited just to watch him bat because he was always in and out of the team and whenever he was in the Playing XI, I used to pin myself in front of the TV Screen.

Imran Nazir had every shot in the book while being an outrageous timer of the ball.

He could drive, cut, hook/pull and play some drives to the on side as well.

If you were to look upon his batting stats, you will never realize the vast amount of batting potential that the guy carried.

In my opinion, he is one of the greatest if not the greatest batting talent unfulfilled.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    He had no brains.

I'll never forget the story Wasim Akram tells about Imran Nazir. One time PCB under Chairman Tauqir Zia had hired Geoffrey Boycott as a batting consultant to work with young batsmen like Imran Nazir, Salman Butt and others.

They set up a tent where Boycott was delivering his lecture in his thick Yorkshire accent. Wasim was doing his warmups and runs, and every time he passed the tent he saw Nazir nodding along to everything Boycott was saying.

Eventually the session ended and Wasim asked him whether he understood anything Boycs was saying. Nazir replied "not a word". Wasim asked why was he nodding along then to which Nazir said he would've carried on talking for another hour if he hadn't !

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Markhor

Shot Selection

Temperament

Crafting an Innings

Some of his problems that lead to such disappointing career.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nazir was a huge talent but like many he regressed alarmingly after his first few games

It was sad to see him become a glorified slogger when initially he was a very talented and eye pleasing strokemaker

Just watch the video below in 2000 how he used to bat

https://youtu.be/TfxVkiQVdkE

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Zaz

That Cover Drive at 3:12 was gold.

Absolutely worth paying to watch.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. Even Shoaib Akhtar used him as an example and considered him the biggest waste of talent. All talent, no brains or direction.

To be honest I think Nazir decided his niche was ODI and T20 cricket. It's sad his arthritis prevented him from encashing in the global T20 leagues during his prime years, he would have made life changing sums of money

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yasir hameed was better.He is surely amongst top underachievers.
    Last edited by jeeteshssaxena; 11th August 2019 at 17:38.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @jeeteshssaxena

Nazir's shot array, timing and ability were out of the world.

He was the sort of player who could answer the bowler with any sort of shot he likes but instead he made himself look like a fool.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Savak

I think such players need a good mentor, who could tell them what their strengths are and develop some method and thought process in them by telling them rationales.

You should take such players as audience and have them involved with you and let them feel about the direction.

@Markhor Pointed out that he didn't bother about what his coach was telling him. Important thing was to identify and eractify the issues there in his lack of focus/attention. Lets say if i'm a manager to some operational uneducated members of thw organization but I need to make sure that we are all on the same page by mixing in with them and letting them know that they are valued part of rhe organization. I think same can be related to Nazir's mindset because those workers simply will carry on doing what they like if I as a manger don't get them involved.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he really was great then he would’ve left a legacy, just another good timer & stroke maker nothing more.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Talent?

I'm not sure talent is the right word to describe him.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He had every shot in the book. The fact he didn’t live up to this ability is extremely disappointing.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure greatest waste of talent applies to him.

I think Vinod Kambli gets that accolade— career Test batting average of 54 after 17 tests but he played his last Test when he was just 23 years old.....

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most talented Pakistani opener after Saeed Anwar but as with most of the young pakistani boys, once you become popular, your focus is on money, girls, cars and not on cricket or enhancing that talent gifted by Allah.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsyhesperis View Post
    Not sure greatest waste of talent applies to him.

I think Vinod Kambli gets that accolade— career Test batting average of 54 after 17 tests but he played his last Test when he was just 23 years old.....
    Kambli suffered because India had too much batting stocks and once he was out of the team, he couldn't get a permanent position back

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a shame Imran couldn't maximize his talent. He was one of the best clean hitters at his peak.

BANGLADESH FAN
    RAPTORS FAN
    LIVERPOOL FAN

Debut
    Apr 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mannnnnn... This dude Litt up SA bowling attack when they were feared by all . The shots he played were brutal . It was so incredible to watch him play when others in the team looked so meek infront of SA's bowling.I think It was back when he opened with afridi and scored a 100 something.

you really can't beat the game. If you earn anything, it's minus taxes. If you buy anything it's plus taxes.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Hanover Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way. He was a glorified slugger for the most part, a notch above Afridi and notch below Umar Akmal.

Here are few that come to mind in terms of wasted batting talent in no particular order:

1. Qasim Omer, could have played more
    2. KP, could have played more
    3. M. Yousuf, could have played more
    4. Fawad , at least for tests, esp in UAE
    5. Kambli
    6. Samaraweera
    7. Murray Goodwin, could have played more or had bigger impact with another country
    8. Taufeeq Umar, could have played more, better than Farhat/Imran
    9. Basit Ali

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mon858 View Post
    No way. He was a glorified slugger for the most part, a notch above Afridi and notch below Umar Akmal.

Here are few that come to mind in terms of wasted batting talent in no particular order:

5. Kambli
    6. Samaraweera
    7. Murray Goodwin, could have played more or had bigger impact with another country
    9. Basit Ali
    agreed with you and good list.
    you can add Asim kamal in it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If Imran Nazir was Indian, would the systems in place in India have forced him to apply himself to be a proper reliable batsman?

Maybe Indian posters can shed light here

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been nice to see Jesse Ryder make the most of his gifts.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mon858 View Post

5. Kambli
    6. Samaraweera
    9. Basit Ali
    Basic Ali — good call.
    I remember Mark Nicholas describing him at the time of his first few matches as one of the finest young batsmen he had ever seen.
    Very odd chap, got involved in controversy (perhaps innocently) but has now ended up bitter and strange

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He didn’t even succeed at first class and list a level. Sure he had some great looking shots he could play at times but so do lots of players.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Talent?

I'm not sure talent is the right word to describe him.
    Right. People haven't watched him closely. I remember Amir Sohail commentating while he was batting and Sohail was surprised to notice some basic flaws in his technique and lamented that a batsman with so many basic errors is playing international cricket.