Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 80 of 80
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    126,559
    Mentioned
    2381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    Babar Azam - the lack of English debate

    Started off with Tanvir remarks:





    Pakistan limited-overs captain Babar Azam is regarded as one of the best batsmen in cricket at the moment. Babar often sees himself being compared to India cricket team captain Virat Kohli. But former Pakistan cricketer Tanvir Ahmed believes that the player needs to work on his personality. Speaking in a Youtube video, the former Pakistan bowler said that Babar will need to be communicate with media as captain of the team, and hence also needs to work on improving his English.

    “Try to improve your personality. By personality, I mean a person can change his dressing sense. Babar Azam also needs to improve his English, which is necessary. Whenever someone becomes a captain, he has to talk during the toss and post-match presentation. Plus, he will also give interviews on various channels when he tours different countries."

    Tanvir added: “A leader needs to be punctual and organised as the players follow the captain. He should also maintain his fitness level, because if the captain himself isn’t fit, then he can’t advise other players on improving their fitness,” he said.

    “It remains to be seen how Babar leads the team. He needs to be mentally strong as even a slight dip in performance as captain will invite a lot criticism from media. So he will have to tolerate the criticism and not react to it. If he reacts, then things will get very difficult for him,” he added.

    He further said: “Captaincy isn’t an easy job. However, I am happy for Babar as he has become captain after only five years since making his debut in 2015. If any player becomes a captain in such a short period of time, then it is an extra-ordinary achievement for him.”

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...w39GdHkJN.html

    ===

    Then Babar Azam replied

    "I play cricket, I am not a 'gora,' that I know English completely. Yes, I am working on it, but you learn these things over a period of time, you can't just suddenly learn it.

    "I would like to be an attacking captain, in the style of Imran Khan.

    ===

    The Rashid Latif and Shoaib Akhtar replied in a recent interview

    Rashid Latif:

    “When captain is sitting in a press conference, he gives insight about his vision but this was clearly lacking"

    “Our captain is giving headlines about language barrier and things we already know, like comparison with Virat Kohli”

    “Babar should have made a strong statement rather than just following the script given to him. You have already showcased that your mental attitude and approach is not up to the mark"


    Shoaib Akhtar

    “Babar Azam wants to be a captain like Imran Khan but this does not mean that it will only be related to playing cricket. He needs to take a leaf out of PM Imran’s book with regards to personality as well

    “Please don’t speak about things which we already know from the past 10 years. We won’t buy this argument"

    “Babar has to sharpen up his communication skills, his personality, ability to lead from the front, fitness level etc. I think he has a lot to prove"


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    2,571
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why so called experts are forcing him,it's his choice to learn it or not.
    Most of the footballers don't even speak English.
    Infact they should be proud of their language.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,917
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think a bigger concern is that Babar even has trouble conversing confidently in Urdu. He definitely needs to be more assertive if he wants to be a strong leader.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    52,152
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Totally agreed with Tanveer, Rashid and Shabby.

    Further to it i would also like to add that he needs to grow a beard, get at least one body tattoo, date an A-lister woman even if for few months just to build his resume as a stud etc.

    In 2020, you cannot be considered a megastar just on the basis of statistics.
    Last edited by freelance_cricketer; 21st May 2020 at 20:22.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    1,995
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Totally agreed with Tanveer, Rashid and Shabby.

    Further to it i would also like to add that he needs to grow a beard, get at least one body tattoo, date an A-lister woman even if for few months just to build his resume as a stud etc.

    In 2020, you cannot be considered a megastar just on the basis of statistics.
    I see what you did there.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    17,958
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If Babar wants to be talked about in the English speaking World ( which is pretty much all of the agenda setting World) , then it helps if he speaks decent English.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,141
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous that some are trying to talk about personality, his English-speaking skills as if they affect his batting.



  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,970
    Mentioned
    1154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    “Babar has to sharpen up his communication skills, his personality, ability to lead from the front, fitness level etc. I think he has a lot to prove"
    Shoaib Akhtar of all people is lecturing how to improve one's personality, fitness and communication skills ?!

    Says the King of Verbal Diarrhoea himself.

    Babar needs to concentrate on his own performance first and foremost. Otherwise he'll end up like previous skippers who didn't justify a place in the XI themselves.

    He also needs a vision, a plan as to where he wants to take the white ball teams, identify areas of weakness and how he'll implement that plan. Instead of thinking for 1, Babar must think for 11.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    12,810
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Babar has to built personality traits , he shouldn't try to follow the footsteps of Virat Kohli like growing beards or tattoos or being an arrogant guy on field, it won't work for Babar honestly.

    What will work for him is if he tries to follow the footsteps of Kane Williamson, the nice-guy image and a great gentleman of the game who is also a good reader of the game.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    126,559
    Mentioned
    2381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,770
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    If Babar has to built personality traits , he shouldn't try to follow the footsteps of Virat Kohli like growing beards or tattoos or being an arrogant guy on field, it won't work for Babar honestly.

    What will work for him is if he tries to follow the footsteps of Kane Williamson, the nice-guy image and a great gentleman of the game who is also a good reader of the game.
    What's wrong with the beard? If anything it suits him.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,770
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The British left decades ago but so many of our fellow countrymen are still well-entrenched in the colonial mindset.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    25,650
    Mentioned
    1342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I think posters on this forum are not understanding the nuance of the situation here which is why they are giving ghissay-pitey statements like 'English-speaking skills do not affect batting', 'footballers do not speak English either and no one cares', and 'Babar should be proud of his language'.

    So let me try to explain.

    Babar Azam doesn't need to learn English to impress the world. He does not need to develop his personality primarily for outside consumption. He needs to develop and polish his personality and become a good communicator in both English & Urdu for his own good and for the good of the team.

    There have been enough interviews where our players have said that they are scared and shaking in their pants at the idea of being named man of the match or going into a press conference because it means they will have to speak publicly and, worse, in English. This has a very negative impact on the confidence of our cricketers which stops them from realizing their full potential. It also stops them from engaging with cricketers from other countries and learning more about the game from different perspectives. We do not want Babar Azam to be in the same situation. To me he did not look very comfortable when he was giving the interviews at the toss in the Australia T20s last year.

    It is a fact that English is the universal language for cricket and it is not changing any time soon. It is also a fact that the Pakistani society values English speaking skills and helps in building an image of a sophisticated person with a good personality. Now I do not want to get into whether this is a messed up notion and it shouldn't be this way. Because neither you nor I can change this in the short term and it will remain this way. So it is better to just accept it and operate within the confines of this scenario.

    Imran Khan was a great cricketer and a very good captain but one of the reasons why he was held in higher regard as a leader compared to Javed Miandad is because of his personality and the fact that he could converse with and build relationships throughout the cricketing world. Javed Miandad, despite being a arguably a superior leader tactically (and someone Imran Khan always sought advice from) did not get the same respect as captain because his communication skills were not as good and personality not as polished. Babar says he wants to emulate Imran Khan, so this is also an aspect he should look at and take seriously.

    Finally. I've said this before and will say this again. I think this is a failing of the PCB big time. Babar Azam has been in the PCB system since the age of 13-14. He has been to 2 Under 19 World Cups and has gone in captaincy capacity. He was always earmarked to be a regular in the Pakistani lineup. His rise was no huge surprise. PCB should have been developing these aspects of his personality since that young age and he also should have been active in this regard. The fact that he is not is a failing of the PCB and shows their shortsightedness and lack of the thoroughness in their planning over the years.
    @Saj @Markhor @Bewal Express @RedwoodOriginal @Junaids


    #MPGA

  14. #14
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    17,958
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I think posters on this forum are not understanding the nuance of the situation here which is why they are giving ghissay-pitey statements like 'English-speaking skills do not affect batting', 'footballers do not speak English either and no one cares', and 'Babar should be proud of his language'.

    So let me try to explain.

    Babar Azam doesn't need to learn English to impress the world. He does not need to develop his personality primarily for outside consumption. He needs to develop and polish his personality and become a good communicator in both English & Urdu for his own good and for the good of the team.

    There have been enough interviews where our players have said that they are scared and shaking in their pants at the idea of being named man of the match or going into a press conference because it means they will have to speak publicly and, worse, in English. This has a very negative impact on the confidence of our cricketers which stops them from realizing their full potential. It also stops them from engaging with cricketers from other countries and learning more about the game from different perspectives. We do not want Babar Azam to be in the same situation. To me he did not look very comfortable when he was giving the interviews at the toss in the Australia T20s last year.

    It is a fact that English is the universal language for cricket and it is not changing any time soon. It is also a fact that the Pakistani society values English speaking skills and helps in building an image of a sophisticated person with a good personality. Now I do not want to get into whether this is a messed up notion and it shouldn't be this way. Because neither you nor I can change this in the short term and it will remain this way. So it is better to just accept it and operate within the confines of this scenario.

    Imran Khan was a great cricketer and a very good captain but one of the reasons why he was held in higher regard as a leader compared to Javed Miandad is because of his personality and the fact that he could converse with and build relationships throughout the cricketing world. Javed Miandad, despite being a arguably a superior leader tactically (and someone Imran Khan always sought advice from) did not get the same respect as captain because his communication skills were not as good and personality not as polished. Babar says he wants to emulate Imran Khan, so this is also an aspect he should look at and take seriously.

    Finally. I've said this before and will say this again. I think this is a failing of the PCB big time. Babar Azam has been in the PCB system since the age of 13-14. He has been to 2 Under 19 World Cups and has gone in captaincy capacity. He was always earmarked to be a regular in the Pakistani lineup. His rise was no huge surprise. PCB should have been developing these aspects of his personality since that young age and he also should have been active in this regard. The fact that he is not is a failing of the PCB and shows their shortsightedness and lack of the thoroughness in their planning over the years.
    @Saj @Markhor @Bewal Express @RedwoodOriginal @Junaids
    An excellent write up. For me his English skills wont affect the number of runs he scores, he is an excellent player and one of the few from PK that has fire in his belly. But English is the international Lingua franca and the English speaking World sets the agenda of who is talked about and who isnt, this you could argue isnt important and in one aspect you would be right but if you are talked about in glowing terms, it creates healthy competition against others that are also talked about, for example the All Rounders( IK, Kepil, Botham etc) in the 70s and 80s drove each other to greater excellence because of the competition of the others at the same level. I agree that personality is very important and that will develop as he gets more and more runs(IA) but as you say a big part of the personality is communication, and the failure to speak good English will affect that.
    The PCB has been lamentable in its development of young players, no one can tell me that the likes of Imran Nazir wouldnt have been super stars if they had been under the likes of ACB etc. I am encouraged by the start Wasim Khan has made but the culture of the organisation cant be changed by one man in short space. Lets hope he leaves a good legacy.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,109
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should learn English because people are going to want to hear from him. English is the universal language of cricket.

    During lockdown I have watched a lot of interviews and podcasts about cricket. I feel a bit upset that Pakistan players can't explain their experiences and game in detail due to communication.

    If Babar can become a well spoken player it would show a good side to Pakistan cricket. Hopefully he can become a marketable asset. You people complain about big 3 making all the money. Babar improving his English benefits Pakistan. Our players lack of communication hasn't made us a top team in recent times. Time to try something else.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,770
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I think posters on this forum are not understanding the nuance of the situation here which is why they are giving ghissay-pitey statements like 'English-speaking skills do not affect batting', 'footballers do not speak English either and no one cares', and 'Babar should be proud of his language'.

    So let me try to explain.

    Babar Azam doesn't need to learn English to impress the world. He does not need to develop his personality primarily for outside consumption. He needs to develop and polish his personality and become a good communicator in both English & Urdu for his own good and for the good of the team.

    There have been enough interviews where our players have said that they are scared and shaking in their pants at the idea of being named man of the match or going into a press conference because it means they will have to speak publicly and, worse, in English. This has a very negative impact on the confidence of our cricketers which stops them from realizing their full potential. It also stops them from engaging with cricketers from other countries and learning more about the game from different perspectives. We do not want Babar Azam to be in the same situation. To me he did not look very comfortable when he was giving the interviews at the toss in the Australia T20s last year.

    It is a fact that English is the universal language for cricket and it is not changing any time soon. It is also a fact that the Pakistani society values English speaking skills and helps in building an image of a sophisticated person with a good personality. Now I do not want to get into whether this is a messed up notion and it shouldn't be this way. Because neither you nor I can change this in the short term and it will remain this way. So it is better to just accept it and operate within the confines of this scenario.

    Imran Khan was a great cricketer and a very good captain but one of the reasons why he was held in higher regard as a leader compared to Javed Miandad is because of his personality and the fact that he could converse with and build relationships throughout the cricketing world. Javed Miandad, despite being a arguably a superior leader tactically (and someone Imran Khan always sought advice from) did not get the same respect as captain because his communication skills were not as good and personality not as polished. Babar says he wants to emulate Imran Khan, so this is also an aspect he should look at and take seriously.

    Finally. I've said this before and will say this again. I think this is a failing of the PCB big time. Babar Azam has been in the PCB system since the age of 13-14. He has been to 2 Under 19 World Cups and has gone in captaincy capacity. He was always earmarked to be a regular in the Pakistani lineup. His rise was no huge surprise. PCB should have been developing these aspects of his personality since that young age and he also should have been active in this regard. The fact that he is not is a failing of the PCB and shows their shortsightedness and lack of the thoroughness in their planning over the years.
    @Saj @Markhor @Bewal Express @RedwoodOriginal @Junaids
    Everything you say is completely subjective. You are perceiving things from the rest of the world's eyes and you have not questioned what would happen if Babar didn't do all the things you mentioned.

    Why does it matter how certain people perceive us? This is something many South Asians are concerned with because there is a sense of inferiority that is historical. That we must all know the colonizer's tongue. I would not at all mind if Babar spoke in Urdu with a translator. Nor would I feel embarrassed by it. The problem is that some of you have convinced yourself into thinking that learning English is a must for cricketers when that isn't true at all. Their job is to perform on the field.

    I also think it is downright condescending of you say Babar needs to develop his personality. Why can't he be himself. I know that if I were a famous sports personality in Babar's place and someone told me to "develop my personality" I would not take kindly to it. Babar is going to be on every billboard in Pakistan either way and he shouldn't do anything he doesn't want to willingly.

    And please don't tell me about Pakistani society. We have seen yesterday and with the Maria B. incident how the so called educated strata of our society behave. People who are supposedly educated, send their children to the best schools, have a house in DHA. Even if we were to forget all that, you are very wrong in your insinuation that Babar needs the approval of Pakistani society through the way in which he carries himself. The only thing he should be judged for are his performances on the field.

    Javed Miandad wasn't accepted as captain because a) he was a young rookie in a team of egotistical senior players who thought it was their birth right to be captain and b) Imran Khan later became captain. A man who's assertive personality is matched by few captains in the history of the game.

    Most players in that 90s side did not know a word of English beginning with Wasim Akram, who had Imran on as translator during a TV program when he first toured New Zealand.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,141
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He should learn English because people are going to want to hear from him. English is the universal language of cricket.
    Runs and wickets is the universal language of cricket.



  18. #18
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    1,127
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Everything you say is completely subjective. You are perceiving things from the rest of the world's eyes and you have not questioned what would happen if Babar didn't do all the things you mentioned.

    Why does it matter how certain people perceive us? This is something many South Asians are concerned with because there is a sense of inferiority that is historical. That we must all know the colonizer's tongue. I would not at all mind if Babar spoke in Urdu with a translator. Nor would I feel embarrassed by it. The problem is that some of you have convinced yourself into thinking that learning English is a must for cricketers when that isn't true at all. Their job is to perform on the field.

    I also think it is downright condescending of you say Babar needs to develop his personality. Why can't he be himself. I know that if I were a famous sports personality in Babar's place and someone told me to "develop my personality" I would not take kindly to it. Babar is going to be on every billboard in Pakistan either way and he shouldn't do anything he doesn't want to willingly.

    And please don't tell me about Pakistani society. We have seen yesterday and with the Maria B. incident how the so called educated strata of our society behave. People who are supposedly educated, send their children to the best schools, have a house in DHA. Even if we were to forget all that, you are very wrong in your insinuation that Babar needs the approval of Pakistani society through the way in which he carries himself. The only thing he should be judged for are his performances on the field.

    Javed Miandad wasn't accepted as captain because a) he was a young rookie in a team of egotistical senior players who thought it was their birth right to be captain and b) Imran Khan later became captain. A man who's assertive personality is matched by few captains in the history of the game.

    Most players in that 90s side did not know a word of English beginning with Wasim Akram, who had Imran on as translator during a TV program when he first toured New Zealand.
    Agree with this. Imo some people have their own insecurities over how World/Society would look at them and have taken steps to overcome it to appear more sophisticated in eyes of others. Now they want to project same insecurities on those who may not care about these issues and expect them to follow in their footsteps to become part of the " Sophisticated " Club.

    Its like if I feel that i must wear a Suit and Nice Shoes to appear more " Polished " among a certain class of people and finally take the needed steps to earn their respect . Then, another guy who has a casual attitude towards dressing must also feel awkward and inferior over his natural choice and must follow the same dress code to earn the respect of the people. Why? Because I did so others shall also do. This is projecting your own insecurities on others and expecting them to overcome it.

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    2,094
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We’ve finaly found one truly world class player after decades of mediocre cricketers and people are complaining about his personality and English speaking skills.

    As long as he scores runs and wins matches for Pakistan nothing else matters.

    We’ve had plenty of personalities and hair styles in the last decade and non of that helped Pakistan win matches.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    2,250
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesnt matter what language he speaks

    As long as he is able to articulate himself, communicate in the dressing room, able to handle outside pressure that will do more wonders than acquiring a new language.

    Our cricketers cant speak urdu properly, let alone english. Urdu wich punjabi and small mentality. That is the issue more.

    IK was a very extroverted personality, Babar isnt. What both had going for them is strong self belief and confidence.
    The real litmus test would be when chips would be down for Babar and he still maintains his belief and more so, the fans back him.

    Not many know, but had IK not won the 92 WC or even pre semis, just read the articles of pakistani media, there were scathing remarks on his age, on his agenda (hospital vs cricket) etc etc
    Did not deter his belief.

    I hope babar has the same kind of self belief and inner confidence in tough times. And all of this does require a bit of luck too

    Imagine if IK would have said to Inzy your form is back I saw it in the pull shot, it inspired Inzy. Imagined had he failed in semis, we would have said he became complacent

    I just hope Babar gets a little bit of luck too and in the england series he scores a 100 first up. Would boost his confidence like anything


    عبدي أنت تريد ، وأنا أريد ، ولا يكون إلا ما أريد ، فإن سلمت لي فيما تريد كفيتك ما تريد

  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    5,837
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toss, presentation ceremony, press conferences and global media engagements will always be done in English more or less when it comes to cricket. Captains have to do all that. It will create a lot of hassle if you can't speak in English, especially when things aren't going well.

    The fact Azhar Ali could speak passable English was a major factor in why he was considered as Pakistan's next Captain during Misbah's time as Captain. It was undoubtedly a major consideration that went in his favour.

    Wasim Khan mentioned on Australian radio that Babar left school aged 12 which is far from ideal as far as he is concerned during the Test tour last year.

    Pakistan have a rich history of producing some highly educated successful long serving Captains with fine English like AH Kardar, Imran and Misbah.

    The founder of our great country had English as his primary language.

    We should be aware of this tradition and not pretend it doesn't matter. Of course it does.

    I didn't like seeing an interpreter at the toss with Bobsy in Australia for the T20Is. It was awkward. Overseas viewers would have been mocking our Captain and his inability to speak English.

    Like it or not, how well you can speak English tends to be linked to how educated you are. We don't want to be known as an uneducated nation which is reflected by the lack of English from our white ball national Captain.
    Last edited by BoomBoomCricket; 22nd May 2020 at 04:26.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    2,008
    Mentioned
    689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Separate the two things. Babar needs to work on his personality, and ability to lead, not his English.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,970
    Mentioned
    1154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I think posters on this forum are not understanding the nuance of the situation here which is why they are giving ghissay-pitey statements like 'English-speaking skills do not affect batting', 'footballers do not speak English either and no one cares', and 'Babar should be proud of his language'.

    So let me try to explain.

    Babar Azam doesn't need to learn English to impress the world. He does not need to develop his personality primarily for outside consumption. He needs to develop and polish his personality and become a good communicator in both English & Urdu for his own good and for the good of the team.

    There have been enough interviews where our players have said that they are scared and shaking in their pants at the idea of being named man of the match or going into a press conference because it means they will have to speak publicly and, worse, in English. This has a very negative impact on the confidence of our cricketers which stops them from realizing their full potential. It also stops them from engaging with cricketers from other countries and learning more about the game from different perspectives. We do not want Babar Azam to be in the same situation. To me he did not look very comfortable when he was giving the interviews at the toss in the Australia T20s last year.

    It is a fact that English is the universal language for cricket and it is not changing any time soon. It is also a fact that the Pakistani society values English speaking skills and helps in building an image of a sophisticated person with a good personality. Now I do not want to get into whether this is a messed up notion and it shouldn't be this way. Because neither you nor I can change this in the short term and it will remain this way. So it is better to just accept it and operate within the confines of this scenario.

    Imran Khan was a great cricketer and a very good captain but one of the reasons why he was held in higher regard as a leader compared to Javed Miandad is because of his personality and the fact that he could converse with and build relationships throughout the cricketing world. Javed Miandad, despite being a arguably a superior leader tactically (and someone Imran Khan always sought advice from) did not get the same respect as captain because his communication skills were not as good and personality not as polished. Babar says he wants to emulate Imran Khan, so this is also an aspect he should look at and take seriously.

    Finally. I've said this before and will say this again. I think this is a failing of the PCB big time. Babar Azam has been in the PCB system since the age of 13-14. He has been to 2 Under 19 World Cups and has gone in captaincy capacity. He was always earmarked to be a regular in the Pakistani lineup. His rise was no huge surprise. PCB should have been developing these aspects of his personality since that young age and he also should have been active in this regard. The fact that he is not is a failing of the PCB and shows their shortsightedness and lack of the thoroughness in their planning over the years.
    @Saj @Markhor @Bewal Express @RedwoodOriginal @Junaids
    I don't disagree that Babar improving his English skills to ease communication with foreign players/coaches would be beneficial to the team, in addition to conversing more confidently with the media and showing Pakistan in the best possible light.

    The difference is one of emphasis. English skills should be Priority #17 for Babar. Above all else, what should occupy Babar's mind is how he'll manage his own performances with the added responsbility. Without justifying his own place and leading from the front, no amount of English speaking savvy will save him from the axe. Shoaib Malik was exactly the sort of captain people are describing - but he was doomed from the start because he didn't justify a place in all formats.

    I also don't understand these assertions that Babar must "improve his personality" and copy himself after Imran Khan. Imran was born in an urban middle-class family with Javed Burki and Majid Khan as his cousins, was educated at Aitchison College and Oxford, and spent nearly a decade in county cricket in England interacting with the world's best players and coaches before even becoming captain, not to mention a stint with Packer's WSC. Babar meanwhile was born in a working-class family, whose social circles are far more limited, and has no exposure to IPL (white ball cricket's finishing school of our time), and we expect Babar to transform himself into Imran Khan 2.0 ?

    Also "improving one's personality" as Akhtar infers seems to mean adopting this toxic, fake macho bravado that many Pakistani fans mistake for leadership and toughness. I'd rather Babar remain true to himself and look to Kane Williamson as an example of how a captain can lead his team successfully, making the most out of limited resources despite his understated manner.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    14,150
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's extremely sad how he's being pressured to learn/talk english. It shouldn't matter. If he can communicate with his team mates, then who cares. Use a translator for press conferences if needed.

    It's the same with education. They don't need university education to captain. It's just an old tradition back in the day, it means nothing. And someone's education doesn't change how well someone thinks upon the game. You can see how modern sports are evolved, kids are taken at age of 6 and trained to be professional sportsman. They don't go to university, it's a waste of time they could be working. Same I don't think people should be given the captaincy based on how wealthy their school is either.

    There's a lot of snobbery in cricket sadly. We need to move on with the times.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs learn basic english he doesnt need to go in depth with it.aslong as he performs I dont care what he speaks

  26. #26
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

    I agree babar doesnt care if people dont see as a superstar hes thier to perform not dress up and show off

  27. #27
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    4,569
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of English speaking skills was also the reason why Sarfraz was targeted. Even after he won you CT. Let’s be honest...if Babar’s performance dips...his English will become a point for people to go against him.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    Lack of English speaking skills was also the reason why Sarfraz was targeted. Even after he won you CT. Let’s be honest...if Babar’s performance dips...his English will become a point for people to go against him.
    The only difference is sarfraz was average batesman and babar is world class

  29. #29
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    15,742
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fault of NCA

    He has there for so many years there and yet he can’t speak a single sentence in English?

    Even without english, Babar doesn’t speak well, very basic sentences in urdu.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a debate?

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asifnow View Post
    This is a debate?
    Yes cuz former cricketers have stated he needs to know English and need better dress sense

  32. #32
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Yes cuz former cricketers have stated he needs to know English and need better dress sense
    yes, because that is whats important in athletic pursuit! how silly of me

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,075
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no nuance. There is no ambiguity.

    There are two factors at play here:
    1. Slave mentality. Why would footballers speak in their own language and why would Premier League managers struggle but still carry on with their press conferences without comments on their English speaking skills.
    2. Good old fashioned jealousy from ex-cricketers to see a superstar in the team. They went after all others, why spare arguably the biggest of them. If he were an Oxonian in 3 piece suit giving press conferences with Brearley-esque insights into the minutiae of the game after scoring a triple hundred and bowling opposition out twice in 60 overs with 5 slips in the cordon throughout, they will still have a go at him about one of his shoe laces undone.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    4,355
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoomCricket View Post
    Toss, presentation ceremony, press conferences and global media engagements will always be done in English more or less when it comes to cricket. Captains have to do all that. It will create a lot of hassle if you can't speak in English, especially when things aren't going well.

    The fact Azhar Ali could speak passable English was a major factor in why he was considered as Pakistan's next Captain during Misbah's time as Captain. It was undoubtedly a major consideration that went in his favour.

    Wasim Khan mentioned on Australian radio that Babar left school aged 12 which is far from ideal as far as he is concerned during the Test tour last year.

    Pakistan have a rich history of producing some highly educated successful long serving Captains with fine English like AH Kardar, Imran and Misbah.

    The founder of our great country had English as his primary language.

    We should be aware of this tradition and not pretend it doesn't matter. Of course it does.

    I didn't like seeing an interpreter at the toss with Bobsy in Australia for the T20Is. It was awkward. Overseas viewers would have been mocking our Captain and his inability to speak English.

    Like it or not, how well you can speak English tends to be linked to how educated you are. We don't want to be known as an uneducated nation which is reflected by the lack of English from our white ball national Captain.
    Only if junk like azhar and misbah were half the batsmen Babar is. I would take a guy without English then one who's mediocre like azhar and misbah who can speak English. The colonial mindset of people, when are we going to come out of it.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    15,188
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all he totally deserved to get the captaincy and English is no criteria to appoint captains. He is a top player and a performer for Pakistan which is a fact completely independent of his English.

    It is a known fact that as a player he has kept on improving since his debut and I personally would expect the same in his captaincy and leadership which require that he keeps on improving his personality and leadership skills in a way which helps him and his players on the field.

    At the same time to be able to represent your team in the best way possible on and off the field is important for any captain and English being the most spoken language definitely helps in that off field part. In the end it should be Babar's choice how he wants to go about his stint and I hope he doesnt become rigid after any of these remarks in media.

    He deserves whatever position and stature he has been awarded which is and will be independent of his English speaking skills but, at the same time if he can develop that a bit without compromising on his cricket that would obviously be great.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    11,578
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if Sarfraz was a fluent English speaker? If Sarfraz could survive almost 3 years then Babar will be able to do a lot better considering his status in the world of cricket.

    Babar is still young and learning, but people already see him as the next big thing. Even the people in the dressing room know this and will respect him.

    Babar made a great point saying that if he gets unnecessarily angry at his own players ala Sarfraz in the past then you do invite trouble in the dressing room aka revolt. Stay calm do the right thing. It's about the decisions you take, not the drama on the field. I doubt IK started hitting people on the field during the game.


    "You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,141
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I couldn't care less if Babar did every interview in Urdu, as long as he and Pakistan did well.



  38. #38
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    25,650
    Mentioned
    1342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    As if Sarfraz was a fluent English speaker? If Sarfraz could survive almost 3 years then Babar will be able to do a lot better considering his status in the world of cricket.

    Babar is still young and learning, but people already see him as the next big thing. Even the people in the dressing room know this and will respect him.

    Babar made a great point saying that if he gets unnecessarily angry at his own players ala Sarfraz in the past then you do invite trouble in the dressing room aka revolt. Stay calm do the right thing. It's about the decisions you take, not the drama on the field. I doubt IK started hitting people on the field during the game.
    As if people on this forum and on TV & social media id not take advantage of every opportunity to attack him for English skills and lack of 'sophistication'?


    #MPGA

  39. #39
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    25,650
    Mentioned
    1342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Runs and wickets is the universal language of cricket.
    these are just catchy but ultimately pointless one-liners from you.

    English IS the language of communication in cricket.


    #MPGA

  40. #40
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asifnow View Post
    yes, because that is whats important in athletic pursuit! how silly of me
    Dunno if your being sarcastic or not and what's silly of u


  41. #41
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Only if junk like azhar and misbah were half the batsmen Babar is. I would take a guy without English then one who's mediocre like azhar and misbah who can speak English. The colonial mindset of people, when are we going to come out of it.
    I agree with you.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    As if Sarfraz was a fluent English speaker? If Sarfraz could survive almost 3 years then Babar will be able to do a lot better considering his status in the world of cricket.

    Babar is still young and learning, but people already see him as the next big thing. Even the people in the dressing room know this and will respect him.

    Babar made a great point saying that if he gets unnecessarily angry at his own players ala Sarfraz in the past then you do invite trouble in the dressing room aka revolt. Stay calm do the right thing. It's about the decisions you take, not the drama on the field. I doubt IK started hitting people on the field during the game.
    He should look at williamson regarding composure and his calmness and ect

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    Lack of English speaking skills was also the reason why Sarfraz was targeted. Even after he won you CT. Let’s be honest...if Babar’s performance dips...his English will become a point for people to go against him.
    No lack if skills was sarfraz was targeted babar is in different league in terms of skill

  44. #44
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is stupid. Learning another language has no effect on cricket and nor does it impact his ability to communicate with his teammates/coaches/selection committee and fans. As a result, it is not necessary whatsoever.

    /end of thread

  45. #45
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Naz View Post
    This is stupid. Learning another language has no effect on cricket and nor does it impact his ability to communicate with his teammates/coaches/selection committee and fans. As a result, it is not necessary whatsoever.

    /end of thread
    To right former cricketers hating on babar

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,141
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    these are just catchy but ultimately pointless one-liners from you.

    English IS the language of communication in cricket.
    Not pointless at all.

    As far as I am concerned, I couldn't care less how good his English, French or Italian is.

    People are too obsessed with this, he must speak English well, nonsense.



  47. #47
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Not pointless at all.

    As far as I am concerned, I couldn't care less how good his English, French or Italian is.

    People are too obsessed with this, he must speak English well, nonsense.
    I agree with you just former cricketers hating or overreacting

  48. #48
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    25,650
    Mentioned
    1342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    I agree with you just former cricketers hating or overreacting
    there would be no issue if it was just former cricketers and people hating or making fun

    however it is an issue because many cricketers themselves have said in the past that they are terrified of prospect of having to give interviews and press conferences in English and that it has a knockdown effect on their confidence. so important to develop these characteristics.


    #MPGA

  49. #49
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar has done the hard part, that is to score runs. Like he said, he can learn to speak English, that is the easy part.

    We should be happy that we have a young man who is not a head case a la Akhtar. What does it mean to develop a personality. He has a personality and he is humble and very hard working. Lets celebrate that.

    How much English did Miandad speak, or Inzi or Mohd. Yusuf. I would rather that he becomes a Pak great like the three mentioned. Tanvir and Shoaib are both toxic, I would take Babar and his current personality 10 out of 10 times.

    Bravo Babar. Keep going brother !!!

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    27,914
    Mentioned
    2361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Cricket being an English game, followed mostly by former British colonies, English actually is essential for international cricketers. Not only from media/press perspectives, even for on game operation, tactics one needs to converse in English. Every cricket term is in English and the technical side of the game is expressed best through English. Besides, reading is one of the key elements of being a good Captain/cricketer - Almost every quality literature written in cricket are through English. If he wants to become an astute Captain, Babar needs to read lot, converse with former cricketers & take noirs from coaching staffs - don’t think it’s possible through mother tongue (other than English) is possible. Besides, god a team like PAK, once Misbah is booted, they’ll go back to foreign coaching staffs .....

    May not be Oxford English, but Babar needs to learn “kam chalao” English, and learn it quickly. It doesn’t take much either if honest effort is there. Cricket terms are already into your vocabulary, one just needs to knowledge to structure sentence and learn to converse. It’s not even a 100 hours work - Latin & African players take 3-4 months time and become fluent in the language (of the league) they are playing. Someone like Samuel Etto is fluent in nine languages; millionaire Manager like Jose Mou, despite being given full time interpretator, knows six languages..... and knows it good enough to work in local TV as pundit!!!

    I read some comments here regarding the essentiality of English in cricket or for cricketers - it’s true, knowing English is not a matter of life & death, but this attitude is not helping; it didn’t help a Inzamam for 15 years. PCB didn’t push him for something that required three months dedication and money less than his one match fee.
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd May 2020 at 10:45.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    there would be no issue if it was just former cricketers and people hating or making fun

    however it is an issue because many cricketers themselves have said in the past that they are terrified of prospect of having to give interviews and press conferences in English and that it has a knockdown effect on their confidence. so important to develop these characteristics.
    Are they required to give it in english is it a must.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    5,215
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like our white ball captain to have a better grasp of English than "boys played well".

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,970
    Mentioned
    1154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    I would like our white ball captain to have a better grasp of English than "boys played well".
    Lol I used to look forward to those post match interviews as much as the matches during the Inzy era.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,109
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look at Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene. They improved their English. Now they are getting good jobs in cricket and people want to hear their opinions on the game. It also raised the profile of Sri Lankan cricket.

    Our players not being able to communicate has not gotten us anywhere. It's time to try something else.

    If I am being genuinely honest, most of our players don't communicate well in their native language. All they say is the textbook stuff. They can't really analyse a situation or talk about their game in a technical aspect.

    We need to improve our communication, help players learn English, and make them more media savvy.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Lol I used to look forward to those post match interviews as much as the matches during the Inzy era.
    Wow your matches you used to watch must have been boring

  56. #56
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    2,364
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaMan View Post
    Babar has done the hard part, that is to score runs. Like he said, he can learn to speak English, that is the easy part.

    We should be happy that we have a young man who is not a head case a la Akhtar. What does it mean to develop a personality. He has a personality and he is humble and very hard working. Lets celebrate that.

    How much English did Miandad speak, or Inzi or Mohd. Yusuf. I would rather that he becomes a Pak great like the three mentioned. Tanvir and Shoaib are both toxic, I would take Babar and his current personality 10 out of 10 times.

    Bravo Babar. Keep going brother !!!
    My answer also the same. Nothing difference

  57. #57
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    741
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol just learn English what's the big deal. Our people are too obsessed with the mentality 'why don't foreign players speak in urdu when they come to pakistan or india'.

    I don't want to be embarrased at press conferences like we did with Sarfraz, Babar please just learn it.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,922
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Babar been made the captain of the spelling bee team?

    Let him first lead a few matches, show his captaincy skills and learn how to be a leader.

    Englishes courses can wait for now.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    27,914
    Mentioned
    2361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    English is just a tool - key is how you express & present yourself, better be in English, if not in mother tongue, but it must be articulated. Going by past, I can say that Babar has long, long way to go in that regard.
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd May 2020 at 10:44.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    34,796
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If Babar can bat like Kohli, I won't give a damn about his English

  61. #61
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    4,804
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic Pakistani 'one-of-a-kind' hasad. Nothing else.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    If Babar can bat like Kohli, I won't give a damn about his English
    He already is batting like kohli but yes I get what your saying

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    7,355
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me get this clear:

    Babar’s first goal must be to focus on his cricket.

    Learning all the networking skills will be handy eventually.

    However his main focus should be on cricket.

    And fgs please let him be captain for a match before calling him out - he hasn’t even come on the pitch as a captain and the criticism has already started.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    3,748
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fgs leave the boy alone. Let him learn it at his own pace.

    Focus on cricket.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    68
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol don't see how that will improve his or Pakistan's performances. Maybe it will increase his fanbase and get him brand deals

  66. #66
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,162
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the amount of time spent debating this Babar could have already learned how to speak English.. he’s been in quarantine for a couple of months.. just download duo lingo and he’d be able to converse by now.. I mean it’s really not that difficult

  67. #67
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    126,559
    Mentioned
    2381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offstump View Post
    During the amount of time spent debating this Babar could have already learned how to speak English.. he’s been in quarantine for a couple of months.. just download duo lingo and he’d be able to converse by now.. I mean it’s really not that difficult
    An attempt to self-improve himself cannot be a bad thing - and I agree.

    Why cant the PCB provide him with an online course or tutor? Surely he is Their investment and everyone wants the best out of that?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  68. #68
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    126,559
    Mentioned
    2381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I have removed the Inzi anecdote thing until there is proper video clip/proof of what he said available.
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd May 2020 at 11:07.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  69. #69
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,162
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    An attempt to self-improve himself cannot be a bad thing - and I agree.

    Why cant the PCB provide him with an online course or tutor? Surely he is Their investment and everyone wants the best out of that?
    Completely agree.. the PCB are organizing online mentoring sessions with ex players, it’s no work at all to setup online English classes, Wasim Khan should be all over this. With the players being at home this is a prime opportunity for self improvement.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    7,578
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not as important as some people here think. That being said, he's at home with nothing better to do, the least he could do is improve his English.


    Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

  71. #71
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    3,017
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s the same in every profession, you can be successful in a technical role that relies primarily on your technical skills and abilities - but leadership requires some extra skills such as strong communication skills, a good thinker and decision maker, positive mindset, self confidence and courage. This is needed in order to influence and motivate others to achieve a common goal. Not all brilliant technical people make strong leaders - but there’s no skills that can’t be learned if one has a positive attitude and willingness to learn and improve himself.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    3,017
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Just to add to my previous post, I have the put the emphasis on leadership and communication skills - That does not necessarily translate into English speaking skills although being multi-lingual has advantages clearly , but in theory there should be no reason why a person speaking his native language (Urdu/Punjabi) can’t make a confident leader also - although how people get perceived in Pakistani society if they are not able to speak fluent English is a different thing , as this is a country where probably a majority wouldn’t even consider someone as ‘educated’ if he couldn’t read/write/speak fluent English even if the same person had an M.A in Urdu and Farisi.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,141
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Related to this topic, there are some Pakistani cricketers who can't speak Urdu very well......so where does this all end.



  74. #74
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,162
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saj I think this first starts at the top. Babar is the captain of an international side. Pakistan are still in some ways trying to get their reputation and footing back in international cricket, he should know how to speak English. It would be nice to see babar as an international brand, who was the last Pakistani cricketer to transcend borders? Wasim?

  75. #75
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    5,837
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This attitude of English doesn't matter is why we produce so few commentators from Pakistan and why Ramiz has benefited from little competition for over 20 years.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    27,914
    Mentioned
    2361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I think, more that English, Babar (in general PAK cricketers), needs to learn the art of addressing media/press. English is the best way to do that, if not at least an international captain should be articulate through his mother tongue.

    Long back, when Saeed Anwar was captain, he was poor (to say it softly) in his communication skills - politically incorrect and stumbled to form any constructive responses. That guy is highly educated and English is not a problem for him. Recent times, I went to one of his TJ session and that program was dedicated for youth, where he shared lots of stories from his playing career and had to speak in English - I was surprised with the quality of his presentation, his choice & quality of words, his fluency, his organisation and his body language synchronisation with his speech. And, he was mixing Urdu with English so well that even few white/black Canadians had no problems to understand the topic. This is something he has developed over the years through his association (& commitment) with TJ, through such several sessions over the years from devotion. I am sure, if this guy now goes go cricket commentary, he’ll do fantastic there as well - he has developed that skill, can be applied in every field.

    PCB needs to help PAK cricketers (every board should do it for their cricketers, we are specific about Babar here) on their media presence, but ultimate responsibility is on the players - that personal urge has to be there. Definitely, it’s not that difficult like playing international cricket and say hit back to back Test hundreds in Australia.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    12,810
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best time for Babar to improve his English and communication skills, PCB must help him right now. He won't get this time again after he steps on field.

    Atleast reach a level where you are not worried about the on-field communications and interactions during the toss and match presentation like Inzy or Sarfaraz did. After that, with more and more interactions, you keep getting better.

    Rohit was mediocre in communication as well but look how much improvement he has shown in the past few years, he speaks very well now. During early 2010s, it was a different case altogether.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    12,810
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same also applies to some Indian players like Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammad Shami and the youngsters...

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,141
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offstump View Post
    Saj I think this first starts at the top. Babar is the captain of an international side. Pakistan are still in some ways trying to get their reputation and footing back in international cricket, he should know how to speak English. It would be nice to see babar as an international brand, who was the last Pakistani cricketer to transcend borders? Wasim?
    As he said, he is working on it.

    Many of our players have improved their English after a few years. I recall Wasim and Waqar both struggled with English at the start of their careers.

    As for Inzi, he struggled with English at the start, middle and end of his career



  80. #80
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    3,017
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    As he said, he is working on it.

    Many of our players have improved their English after a few years. I recall Wasim and Waqar both struggled with English at the start of their careers.

    As for Inzi, he struggled with English at the start, middle and end of his career
    I like the way Inzamam uses the odd English word while speaking Urdu, like the word ‘one daw’ (Supposed to be plural for one-day matches) - “Sarfraz ko sirf One Daw ka kaptaan hona chahiye”


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •