Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I will continue working hard and not bow down to negativity" : Saud Shakeel

Regarded as a promising batting talent, Saud Shakeel has scored 2250 runs at an average of 45.91 and also has had the honour to lead the Pakistan Emerging team to winning the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup in 2019.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, 24-year-old Saud Shakeel spoke about his disappointment at not playing for Pakistan despite his excellent domestic performances, the experience of playing alongside Sarfaraz Ahmed and Fawad Alam for Sindh, the exhilaration associated with leading his side to victory in the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup, and his aspirations to play for Pakistan when given the chance.

PakPassion.net: How have you been keeping yourself busy during the ongoing break from cricket due to COVID-19?

Saud Shakeel:
    Initially when this enforced break started, I immediately got into my own routine which included working out from home and I also used that time to build on my mental strength by reading books and other material. But as the restrictions on movement have eased over time, I am spending more time outdoors which should help me greatly when cricket does resume once again.

PakPassion.net: You must be disappointed at not having played for Pakistan yet?

Saud Shakeel:
    Obviously one is disappointed when oneís career does not pan out as they hoped it would, but the way I look at this situation is that all things in life happen for a reason, and there is always the right time for anything to happen in your life. I believe that this is due to the will of the Almighty and all I can do now is to keep on working hard. I must also accept that there could be some deficiencies in my game which have prevented my playing for Pakistan until now. So, for now, I am happy to continue concentrating on performing well and to be ready to capitalize on any opportunity to represent Pakistan, whenever that comes.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that the newly established province-based 6-team competition has improved the quality of domestic cricket in Pakistan?

Saud Shakeel:
    It stands to reason that the quality of cricket would be better when you have just 6 teams as compared to 16 which we had last season. In addition, each of those 6 teams will have line-ups consisting of top players and if one is good enough to find a place in one of these sides, then there will be extra pressure to perform for each player. All these factors should lead to some top-quality performances and this is exactly what we saw in this yearís Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. The previous season was based upon the old-style departmental setup which had its own value, but overall, I enjoyed this season more as I felt that the level of professionalism was much higher compared to previous seasons. Obviously, the fact that some of my fellow players have become unemployed due to the abolition of departmental cricket is a concern but hopefully, these are all issues that the PCB will look at for next season and beyond.

PakPassion.net: What was the experience of playing for the new Sindh team this year?

Saud Shakeel:
    Personally speaking, I really enjoyed playing for my new Sindh side. This was an amazing experience because being a Karachi player, I got the chance to represent a team for my provincial side. The other interesting thing about playing for Sindh was that I got to play alongside players I would not have had a chance of playing with in the previous departmental setup. So, for example, Sarfaraz Ahmed was playing for PIA in previous seasons and I was representing PTV and we would never get a chance to play alongside each other but that changed this year as we both represented Sindh. The same applied to Asad Shafiq and Fawad Alam who were in different departments before but now I had the chance to share the dressing room with them.

PakPassion.net: How tough was the competition when playing alongside such big names in domestic cricket?

Saud Shakeel:
    Of course, when you play in a team like Sindh with such big names, you cannot take your place for granted as competition is very high and just a few bad performances can lead to you being dropped. In a domestic system where there are many teams and you are one of the senior players, you can get lazy because your position is secure in the side even if you have a run of bad scores. In my case, I had never been dropped by my previous sides in first-class cricket but this season, as Abid Ali came back into the side, I was asked to sit out some games. One can always look at this in a negative way but I feel that such a situation fills me with a desire to work even harder to show my utility to the side.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that there is a danger that you could become another Fawad Alam type player if you do not get a chance to play for Pakistan soon?

Saud Shakeel:
    Firstly, let me say that we are all proud of how hard Fawad Alam has worked all these years and it makes us all happy that his efforts have been rewarded with a place in the Pakistan squad which is touring England at the moment. As for my career, I donít worry about any such comparisons and will continue working hard and not bow down to negativity, as that can really affect you mentally.

PakPassion.net: What are the positive changes that you have made in your game over the past few years?

Saud Shakeel:
    Honestly speaking, the only real change I have made is in terms of improvement of fitness. This is one area that I lacked a lot and over the past few years, I have worked very hard on this aspect of my cricket. My statistics in one-day and four-day games are pretty good but I am still trying to improve my balance at the crease and also my power-hitting abilities which I feel I am lacking in a little. Of course, learning never stops for any sportsman and I am constantly looking to improve my batting skills at all times.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that your batting skills are at a level where you can play for Pakistan and compete with the best players in the country?

Saud Shakeel:
    When one starts playing cricket, one always has a dream to represent his country, and the same applies to me. All my energies and my hard work have been directed towards this goal and I do feel that given my past performances, I can compete with the very best in Pakistan, whenever given the chance.

PakPassion.net: How was the experience of captaining the Pakistan Emerging side in the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup last year?

Saud Shakeel:
    The experience of leading the Pakistan Emerging side was amazing, especially as we won the title under my leadership. Of course, defeating traditional rivals India in the semi-finals was a very special feeling as well. This was a huge learning opportunity for me as it was the first time I was captaining a Pakistan side at any level and to lead my team to success in the semi-final against India and then to defeat Bangladesh in the final was absolutely exhilarating for the team and myself.

As an individual player, I knew how to conduct myself but as a captain, the skills needed to run a team and keep them motivated was a completely different and enjoyable experience for me. One has to remember that squads such as Pakistan Emerging are composed not too long before the start of the tournament so the real challenge, especially for a captain, is to try and get to know the side and make it gel as soon as possible. In the case of the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup, we got together about two days before departure for Bangladesh as our own season was in progress in Pakistan. The manner in which our squad adjusted to conditions in Bangladesh was amazing and credit goes to the team management for their support at that time. The hot weather was another challenge and we had to travel a bit there too but we overcame all the hurdles and won the tournament which really spoke volumes about our players and their dedication.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that there is too much focus on big hitters in Pakistan at the moment and not on orthodox batsmen like yourself?

Saud Shakeel:
    It is correct that there is a general impression nowadays that players who can hit big are more useful but whenever this issue is brought up, I always point to the example of batsmen like Babar Azam. He is an orthodox batsman who is regarded as one of the worldís top players in not just the T20 format but all versions of the game. Having said that, I do agree that power-hitting has become an important part of every batsmanís game and they need to develop this part of their cricket as there is a definite need for this during certain match situations.

PakPassion.net: Does the fact that you have never played a PSL match frustrate you?

Saud Shakeel:
    I think frustration would be too strong a word to use, but I am definitely a little disappointed that I have never played a match in the PSL when I was part of the Quetta Gladiators squad in the second and third seasons. Having waited patiently for a chance to play for two years and not get a chance to showcase my skills at such a big platform like PSL does irk me a little. Once again, itís down to the fact that some things are not in oneís control and there is no point worrying about it. I have known Nadeem Omar and Azam Khan from the Quetta management for many years now and I am convinced that they have always looked after my best interests and possibly did not see any way in which I could be included in the side at that point. I am sure that in the future, they will give me an opportunity to play for Quetta and I will do my best if given that chance.

PakPassion.net: Looking ahead, what goals have you set for yourself?

Saud Shakeel:
    My immediate and even long-term goal is a simple one and this is based upon what I have prepared for all my life, which is to play for my country. I am happy to play in any format of the game for Pakistan and I can assure you that if given the chance to play, I will make it count and look to cement my place for as long as possible.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His first class record is not as good as Sami Aslam, Kamran Akmal, Fawad Alam, etc.
    Have he ever been among top 5 run scorers in QAE trophy?
    Last edited by SARJ_BD; 12th July 2020 at 01:39.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SARJ_BD View Post
    His first class record is not as good as Sami Aslam, Kamran Akmal, Fawad Alam, etc.
    Have he ever been among top 5 run scorers in QAE trophy?
    He averages higher than Sami and Kami.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Saud Shakeel is the SECOND best young batsman in Pakistan right now.

The list goes like this:

Abdullah Shafique
    Saud Shakeel
    Saif Badar

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This guy is not as good as his record shows but still I rate him over impact less players like Azhar or Shafiq. But don't think under Misbah he will get any opportunity.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    We need young batsman that are intelligent, technically good and hungry. Most of the young batsman we have are poor in all 3 areas. I have only seen bits of him but he looks decent, and you would have thought he would have had a ODI game for PK by now even against a team like Zim or Ireland.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    This could be another one of those situations where a Pakistani player's career is wasted.

By now, this lad should have been on the verge of the national team, not scratching around in domestic cricket and carrying drinks and towels in the PSL.

This is where Pakistan cricket does not help itself.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed he is a massive talent but he needs to apply pressure by scoring tons of runs and he has been performing but he is not really knocking the door down.

Wish him the best of luck but next season whenever that is he needs to score a ton of runs

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under Misbah a 24 years old has no chance.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    Under Misbah a 24 years old has no chance.
    You mean to say he needs to be 34

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at his stats, it is quite striking that at the age of nearly 25, he has only played 36 FC games averaging nearly 46 but that too in 5 years where as someone in India or in England would have played 50+ easily by this time.

This points out to a major problem I have spoken out numerous times about here about the domestic cricket structure where "has beens" are picked and played between the ages of 33-38 and those between 18-25 get the job of mostly being benched or carrying around drinks etc;

Injuries could also be a part of his FC games being low during these 5 years but overall in general, his FC games count should have been in the 50-65 range.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looking at his stats, he should already have been a part of the Intl setup.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    It's who you know, not what you know.

I'm sure there are others in the same boat as Saud.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    If you look at his stats, it is quite striking that at the age of nearly 25, he has only played 36 FC games averaging nearly 46 but that too in 5 years where as someone in India or in England would have played 50+ easily by this time.

This points out to a major problem I have spoken out numerous times about here about the domestic cricket structure where "has beens" are picked and played between the ages of 33-38 and those between 18-25 get the job of mostly being benched or carrying around drinks etc;

Injuries could also be a part of his FC games being low during these 5 years but overall in general, his FC games count should have been in the 50-65 range.
    @Saj Have any of these been a factor in his career so far that he has just played 36 games when he is nearly 25 now as in issues with fitness or being benched for a senior "has been" that has shaped his career the way it has so far.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    This could be another one of those situations where a Pakistani player's career is wasted.

By now, this lad should have been on the verge of the national team, not scratching around in domestic cricket and carrying drinks and towels in the PSL.

This is where Pakistan cricket does not help itself.
    This is because top people running PCB are not honest and only select whom they know.It has to do with honestly first, and then skill/knowledge/professionalism ... follows. We imported an intellectual from UK but the results still the same.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    @Saj Have any of these been a factor in his career so far that he has just played 36 games when he is nearly 25 now as in issues with fitness or being benched for a senior "has been" that has shaped his career the way it has so far.
    He's a quiet lad so he won't say too much, but I know there have been occasions where he was supposed to play but was benched at the last minute.

Standard stuff in Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Should have been in the Pakistan squad for the England tour.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Struggling for chances and runs at the moment.

A duck today in the QeA Trophy.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So much hype but whenever I've seen him play he's failed.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    So much hype but whenever I’ve seen him play he’s failed.
    Must not have seen his too often then because despite having a lean run during the last year, he still averages 45+ in FC and LA cricket…

He made 151 in his last innings during QeA 19/20, needs to get some similar scores this year.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    So much hype but whenever I've seen him play he's failed.
    Maybe you should avoid watching him so he can score runs

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He needs to develop himself as a tougher competitor and show more determination.

He's a really nice lad, maybe too nice and that's his problem.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50* off 51 balls in the 4th innings while chasing 212 with some elegant drives.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Playing well so far. Would do his chances of selection a huge favour if he can successfully chase this down.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if can cope with international level pace but he looks a player. Its the type of talent that should have had 15 tests behind him by now. Instead young Asad Shafiq has 5 more years of an already very long rope ahead of him.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He needs to develop himself as a tougher competitor and show more determination.

He's a really nice lad, maybe too nice and that's his problem.
    Pleasing on the eye.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a very good player ...he got a jaffer in the first innings..

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Saud might not get into PAK XI any time soon, because I think there is no one to back him. He is already 25 and I have seen categorical discrimination against him.

First, he was PAK U19 for two WCs - 2014 made the Final as well. From his batch Sami Aslam & Imam has made PAK team long back.

Potential players move step by step, unless you have an uncle as CS. So, he went to UK in 2016, thatís over 4 years back with A team - I believe made a hundred in one of the 4 day games and chased a target at 8 asking with Babar in another game - from that A tour, Babar went straight to PAK squad; Saud went backward.

That 2016-17 PAK domestic season was played on difficult tracks & I can recall he scored over 600 runs at 47-48, didnít get his National call yet; though he had done his job.

Jan-Feb 2016 or 17 he played in PAK domestic List A Cup (forgot tournament name), and I believe he scored 2/3 hundreds in that tournament- he wasnít called for the ODI squad.

Then came different discrimination - with single digit cricket IQ, one should know that the guy is not a slogger - under Rizwan he was called for PAK A against Pom Loins I believe (or Kiwis A may be) - they slotted him at 7 as all-rounder and some 30 years old Mo Saad (whom I didnít hear about before or after) batted at 3 - still, I believe Saud made a match winning 69* in one game.

By that time Bhanja made PAK squad with his 30is List A average at below 70 SR and made a career out of SRL and ZIM reserves - went to Test squad from there on.

For last two seasons, I donít see Saud performing that well, so the excuses this time are valid. More over, they have played him in T20s which is not his strongest suit and trying to adjust his game for T20, he is losing his touch.

A batsman (for every country, more so in PAK), has a window of 2-3 years at the start of career when he is U23 - you make your mark and get into National team - then swim or sink. For 5 years, this guy is trying to reach the swimming pool without success. By that time, next batch has come and Haider, Ruhail, Khusdil, Talat, Abdullah .... has leap-frogged him.

Two batsmen have been hard done by PCB systematically- Saud and the one is Saad Ali. And, not sure where Saad Ali is these days, but Saud isnít performing enough to force his way now.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Saud might not get into PAK XI any time soon, because I think there is no one to back him. He is already 25 and I have seen categorical discrimination against him.

First, he was PAK U19 for two WCs - 2014 made the Final as well. From his batch Sami Aslam & Imam has made PAK team long back.

Potential players move step by step, unless you have an uncle as CS. So, he went to UK in 2016, that’s over 4 years back with A team - I believe made a hundred in one of the 4 day games and chased a target at 8 asking with Babar in another game - from that A tour, Babar went straight to PAK squad; Saud went backward.

That 2016-17 PAK domestic season was played on difficult tracks & I can recall he scored over 600 runs at 47-48, didn’t get his National call yet; though he had done his job.

Jan-Feb 2016 or 17 he played in PAK domestic List A Cup (forgot tournament name), and I believe he scored 2/3 hundreds in that tournament- he wasn’t called for the ODI squad.

Then came different discrimination - with single digit cricket IQ, one should know that the guy is not a slogger - under Rizwan he was called for PAK A against Pom Loins I believe (or Kiwis A may be) - they slotted him at 7 as all-rounder and some 30 years old Mo Saad (whom I didn’t hear about before or after) batted at 3 - still, I believe Saud made a match winning 69* in one game.

By that time Bhanja made PAK squad with his 30is List A average at below 70 SR and made a career out of SRL and ZIM reserves - went to Test squad from there on.

For last two seasons, I don’t see Saud performing that well, so the excuses this time are valid. More over, they have played him in T20s which is not his strongest suit and trying to adjust his game for T20, he is losing his touch.

A batsman (for every country, more so in PAK), has a window of 2-3 years at the start of career when he is U23 - you make your mark and get into National team - then swim or sink. For 5 years, this guy is trying to reach the swimming pool without success. By that time, next batch has come and Haider, Ruhail, Khusdil, Talat, Abdullah .... has leap-frogged him.

Two batsmen have been hard done by PCB systematically- Saud and the one is Saad Ali. And, not sure where Saad Ali is these days, but Saud isn’t performing enough to force his way now.
    There is systematic bias against Karachi players. Asad played for so long because he belonged from the the same department as Misbah.

Rashid Latif is so right about Kabeela system. Why didn't Saud get the same treatment as someone like Abdullah Shafique ? Abdullah is from central punjab

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed the momentum towards Sindh today by batting so fluently in 4th innings on a not so easy wicket.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    There is systematic bias against Karachi players. Asad played for so long because he belonged from the the same department as Misbah.

Rashid Latif is so right about Kabeela system. Why didn't Saud get the same treatment as someone like Abdullah Shafique ? Abdullah is from central punjab
    Saudís biggest loss was something that has made Babar Azam today. From 2016íA tour, Babar went strait to PAK squad - thatís 3 dedicated years under Mickey Arthur; and trust me, thatís what has made Babar today. Please, donít go to that talunt route - batting is a process oriented, systematic development; you need professionals to groom you; obviously Babar had the desire & hunger to learn & grow, which his infamous fat cousin didnít possess.

If he were called even for PAK squad, Arthur would have a close, long look at him and I am sure he would have picked Saud for a long-term top order spot, preferably at 3 or 4, but could be opener as well. Saud was categorically denied that opportunity by the guy who knows cricket very, very well - played for PAK for 17 years, 5 World Cups and one of the greats of the game. Canít & shouldnít say about regional discrimination, but that man is one of the most morally corrupt guy in PAK cricket .... and, as I said, he is not Basit Ali. He made sure that Arthur doesnít get a look of Saud before his nephew and this was deliberate - you donít play 500+ internationals without intelligence.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Should take Asad Shafiq's spot in the test team

Shan
    Imam
    Abdullah
    Babar
    Saud
    Haris
    Rizwan

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Saudís biggest loss was something that has made Babar Azam today. From 2016íA tour, Babar went strait to PAK squad - thatís 3 dedicated years under Mickey Arthur; and trust me, thatís what has made Babar today. Please, donít go to that talunt route - batting is a process oriented, systematic development; you need professionals to groom you; obviously Babar had the desire & hunger to learn & grow, which his infamous fat cousin didnít possess.

If he were called even for PAK squad, Arthur would have a close, long look at him and I am sure he would have picked Saud for a long-term top order spot, preferably at 3 or 4, but could be opener as well. Saud was categorically denied that opportunity by the guy who knows cricket very, very well - played for PAK for 17 years, 5 World Cups and one of the greats of the game. Canít & shouldnít say about regional discrimination, but that man is one of the most morally corrupt guy in PAK cricket .... and, as I said, he is not Basit Ali. He made sure that Arthur doesnít get a look of Saud before his nephew and this was deliberate - you donít play 500+ internationals without intelligence.
    Too much conspiracy. Saud has to score runs and not get out softly.
    Last edited by Bewal Express; Yesterday at 19:31.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saud is a good prospect and I really hope he is part of the Pakistan A tour to New Zealand. We can't keep wasting prime years of players only to have them in the team when they are past their best.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Too much conspiracy. Saud has to score runs and not get out softly.
    He did that for 2-3 years - got demoted from A team to lower.

If you donít like my theory, canít help much - please try to give a cricket explanation of picking an opener with 30/70 stats for PAK ODI squad over a similar aged middle order with 45/85 stats, who can bowl a bit as well and when PAK squad is over loaded with left-handed openers, but struggling to find one good middle order to replace YK, Misbah & eventually Asad.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Saud in addition to his 61 took 2/11 with the ball, Can be a useful part time bowler.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He did that for 2-3 years - got demoted from A team to lower.

If you donít like my theory, canít help much - please try to give a cricket explanation of picking an opener with 30/70 stats for PAK ODI squad over a similar aged middle order with 45/85 stats, who can bowl a bit as well and when PAK squad is over loaded with left-handed openers, but struggling to find one good middle order to replace YK, Misbah & eventually Asad.
    Cricket explanation for ODIs is that an opener was needed at the time, not a middle order bat (due to the backing of Hafeez and Malik in ODI cricket).

For Tests, absolutely should have been Saud who was backed after Younis and Misbah.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Poor lad should look to change his domicile to Lahore if he wants to stand any chance of being selected.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not some conspiracy theory, Saud hasn't been selected because he hasn't performed in T20's/PSL to get noticed. The selection committee is so dumb that unless you perform in PSL like Fakhar/Shadab/Hasan/Haider and even Abdullah did this season, you don't really get noticed.

The FC performance seems to mean very little at this point considering players like Sameen Gul dominated last year in FC and didn't even get tryouts whereas T20 bowlers like Musa are being picked.

Obviously if the selection committee had a brain, he would have been selected to ODI's/Test a while ago.
    Last edited by Nasty Naz; Yesterday at 20:05.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Cricket explanation for ODIs is that an opener was needed at the time, not a middle order bat (due to the backing of Hafeez and Malik in ODI cricket).

For Tests, absolutely should have been Saud who was backed after Younis and Misbah.
    Bro, when Imam was selected, Azhar was Captain & locking one of the opening slots - there were Fakhar, Sami & Shan; I believe Sharjeel wasnít banned yet... then Moha was still considered as opener, Shahzad was in picture, and Shan was in absolute beast for couple of years in List A ... still you think a 30/70 stat lefti opener was required to bash ZIM reserves?

Looking into Saudís stats, he still averages 45+ in FC cricket with 7 hundreds for 2300+ runs & has a 47/85 stats in List A including PAK A games for 2200+ runs - thatís after couple of low seasons - I can bet, combined FC & List A - no PAK batsman, may be excluding Babar has a better stats over 4 years combined period; and guy can bowl as well - has 40+ wickets also.

Still need to ďperformĒ to get into 29 men, this contemporary PAK squad?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He is batsman who suited to batting at 5 at the higher levels.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @MMHS agreed, I do think Inzamam is responsible for bias in Imamís selection. But also I feel that Saud had not really knocked the door down at the time. Itís symptomatic of a deeper issue in selections within Pakistan cricket. We donít back the right promising youngsters, and when we do, we fail to back them long enough.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    @MMHS agreed, I do think Inzamam is responsible for bias in Imam’s selection. But also I feel that Saud had not really knocked the door down at the time. It’s symptomatic of a deeper issue in selections within Pakistan cricket. We don’t back the right promising youngsters, and when we do, we fail to back them long enough.
    One of the issues is that we don't play enough against good teams so average players get far too long in the team. Players like AA and AS should have played around 40 tests max but instead they get years of undeserved selection. If we played Aus, Ind on a regular basis on good wickets the poor players would have been shown up.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    @MMHS agreed, I do think Inzamam is responsible for bias in Imamís selection. But also I feel that Saud had not really knocked the door down at the time. Itís symptomatic of a deeper issue in selections within Pakistan cricket. We donít back the right promising youngsters, and when we do, we fail to back them long enough.
    This one I wonít agree bro - a player canít go to the selectors & do ďodd jobsĒ, to be selected.

Saud had the age, he had the touch, timing & placement- and numbers behind as well. You donít need to play 500+! International games to see what is there in a young batsman- even better if you indeed have 17 years & 500+ games. Thatís why, you may notice I have used a particular term - ďmorally corruptĒ. When you are paid for a job, itís part of your prayers - in good faith & without negligence. You see, just for the sake of winning arguments, I didnít mention one guy I really liked, in the list of lefti openers, because his time is over, though he was scoring well as opener at the time Imam was picked - Umer Amin, could bowl effective medium pace as well.

For this one (Saud), Iíll never blame Misbah - he inherited a selection policy which neglected the most exciting batting prospect from PAK in some years and categorically pushed behind so that influential but honest people in charge - aka Mickey Arthur doesnít have a look at it. The guy is an ECB level 4 pro coach - some of his pupils are Abraham de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Graeme Smith, Jaques Kallis, Quintin de Kok, Michel Clarke, Dave Warner, Babar Azam ...... he could definitely differentiate between a Ferrari & a Fiat.

Now, Misbah has got a Saud Shakeel, not part of any PAK squad after trying for best part of 5 years; not performing at that initial few years level either like 3 years back - Saud has just 1, max 1.5 years .... if not, Imam Ul Haq will end up captaining Pakistan with a 10-12 years career at least, and Saud Shakilís greatest achievement will remain 137 for PAK A in UK in 2016 - thatís the outcome of moral corruption.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one I wonít agree bro - a player canít go to the selectors & do ďodd jobsĒ, to be selected.

Saud had the age, he had the touch, timing & placement- and numbers behind as well. You donít need to play 500+! International games to see what is there in a young batsman- even better if you indeed have 17 years & 500+ games. Thatís why, you may notice I have used a particular term - ďmorally corruptĒ. When you are paid for a job, itís part of your prayers - in good faith & without negligence. You see, just for the sake of winning arguments, I didnít mention one guy I really liked, in the list of lefti openers, because his time is over, though he was scoring well as opener at the time Imam was picked - Umer Amin, could bowl effective medium pace as well.

For this one (Saud), Iíll never blame Misbah - he inherited a selection policy which neglected the most exciting batting prospect from PAK in some years and categorically pushed behind so that influential but honest people in charge - aka Mickey Arthur doesnít have a look at it. The guy is an ECB level 4 pro coach - some of his pupils are Abraham de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Graeme Smith, Jaques Kallis, Quintin de Kok, Michel Clarke, Dave Warner, Babar Azam ...... he could definitely differentiate between a Ferrari & a Fiat.

Now, Misbah has got a Saud Shakeel, not part of any PAK squad after trying for best part of 5 years; not performing at that initial few years level either like 3 years back - Saud has just 1, max 1.5 years .... if not, Imam Ul Haq will end up captaining Pakistan with a 10-12 years career at least, and Saud Shakilís greatest achievement will remain 137 for PAK A in UK in 2016 - thatís the outcome of moral corruption.
    Looking ahead, I think inshAllah Saud does get called up to the Shaheens for the NZ tour as he's previously captained both the Shaheens and the Emerging team that won the Emerging team Asia cup. He then has to absolutely make a ton of runs in NZ and then in the Pakistan Cup. One benefit of all domestic cricket being available to view by the masses is that selectors have no place to hide when it comes to not selecting domestic performers. Plus, the new selector post Misbah will want to make popular selections, and if Saud performs, InshAllah he'll get in. Lastly, with Sarfaraz also getting phased out, cynically there will be a need for a Karachi player to be in the national squads. Again, if Saud performs InshAllah, this may work in his favour as well.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    Looking ahead, I think inshAllah Saud does get called up to the Shaheens for the NZ tour as he's previously captained both the Shaheens and the Emerging team that won the Emerging team Asia cup. He then has to absolutely make a ton of runs in NZ and then in the Pakistan Cup. One benefit of all domestic cricket being available to view by the masses is that selectors have no place to hide when it comes to not selecting domestic performers. Plus, the new selector post Misbah will want to make popular selections, and if Saud performs, InshAllah he'll get in. Lastly, with Sarfaraz also getting phased out, cynically there will be a need for a Karachi player to be in the national squads. Again, if Saud performs InshAllah, this may work in his favour as well.
    There could be issues with Karachi players, Sindh players - I wonít go there. But, trust me - Saudís case is not Karachi - in that case he wonít have been kept in touch for Junior teams for so long. I doubt even if he were from Lahore, it would have happened; or may be at cost of another young man.

Because, his issue was that his career encompassing with CSís nephew, his selection peak time crossed path under a CS who debuted 4 players in 4 years (for 4-5 games in total) during his captaincy, in a period when PAK won back to back U19 WCs - he had numbers good enough to be called for PAK team of 1990s; but not good enough to beat CSís nephew for PAK team of 2010s.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post

It was Mohammad Wasim (from North Punjab) who appointed Saud as captain of PTV team while his own city mates kept ignoring him.

Karachites are part of the same qabeela system. Sarfaraz and co never even gave a chance to Saud while he was captain of both Pakistan and gladiators' team. Nawaz, Azam Khan, Ramiz Raja were on good terms with Sarfaraz and Nadeem Omar hence they got numerous chances in PSL.

Even supposedly clean, honest, upright, man of character, Mr Rashid Latif proposed Tabish khan and Jaahid Ali for Karachi Kings when they were looking into local players.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saud should have made his international debut almost 3 years ago. We are wasting him just like we did with Haris Sohail.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saud looks a class player and has decent stats he should be in the shaheens squad

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Saud made 61 from 70 balls with six fours - Video highlights from PCB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I see a Kumar Sangakara in that clip 1st & 4th boundary; that second boundary has reminiscences of one certain Trinidad lefti in that bat swing & follow through. The leg flick for third boundary I saw something similar last from a PAK lefti about 19 years back....

Obviously itís PAK domestics hence the level is different, but if we canít recognise batsmen from a look of it, any excel sheet can do the selection job - even then this guy was beating almost everyone in excel as well.