User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"There is a huge difference in the Umar Amin of 2010 with the one of today" : Umar Amin

Regarded as a promising batting talent when he made his international debut in a One-day international against Sri Lanka in 2010, Umar Amin has so far struggled to find a regular place in the Pakistan side playing just 4 Tests, 16 ODIs and 14 T20Is. Whilst his performances last season at the domestic level may have been below par, he has scored 8462 runs at the First-class level at an average just under 40, since his debut in 2007.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Umar Amin spoke about his impressions of the changes made to the domestic system by the PCB, the disappointment of playing just one match in PSL 5, why he has not managed to establish himself at the international level and his hopes of making a comeback to the Pakistan side.

PakPassion.net: Are you concerned by the fact that you struggled to perform in the 2019/20 domestic season?

Umar Amin:
    Yes, it is true that I did not perform according to my own expectations in the previous domestic season where I scored 612 runs. Whilst I would have loved to score more runs during this period, one cannot call this season a failure by any means. Of course, I do realize that to make a comeback to the Pakistan team, I would have had to have scored over 800 runs which I did not, but then again, it’s a little unfair to judge my ability based on just one season. In fact, if we consider the 2015-2019 period, I am amongst the top 5 batsmen in terms of runs scored in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, which does speak volumes about my capabilities.

PakPassion.net: What are the positives of the new 6-team domestic system introduced in the 2019/20 season?

Umar Amin:
    I feel that the reduction of the number of sides has resulted in a much more competitive brand of cricket and the PCB has preferred quality over quantity which will greatly benefit Pakistan cricket. The use of the Kookaburra ball for domestic games was needed to ensure that the gap between domestic and international cricket was reduced as much as possible and that is what’s happened during this season. Apart from that, a lot of emphasis has been put on improving the quality of pitches to bring them as close as possible to international standards. All of these measures have resulted in a much better quality of competition in domestic cricket.

PakPassion.net: Are you concerned about the number of domestic players who may have lost their jobs due to the abolition of departmental cricket?

Umar Amin:
    The simple answer is that like every change that is made in any sphere of life, we need to allow some time for this new system to settle down and for all pros and cons to be analysed, before being too critical. PCB to its immense credit has put in a lot of effort to accommodate some of the senior players who have served their departmental teams with distinction for many years and they have been given bowling and batting coach roles or appointed as mentors. Let’s give the new system some time to take shape before we make any judgements about its utility to Pakistan cricket.

PakPassion.net: Were you disappointed playing just one game in the 2020 edition of the PSL?

Umar Amin:
    It goes without saying that I was disappointed. I had done reasonably well in PSL 4 and was expecting to be given some more chances in front of home crowds, but that did not happen. It was possibly a case of the team management coming to the conclusion that I was unsuitable for the team combination. So, they had to juggle with the requirement of playing 4 overseas players, had to accommodate Shoaib Malik and they also could not ignore the talent of Haider Ali. All this meant that not only I but even Imam-ul-Haq did not get much game-time.

PakPassion.net: You looked very good on Test debut in 2010 but have only played 4 Tests so far. Why do you think you’ve not had more chances?

Umar Amin:
    This question really needs to be directed to people who are responsible for selection as this is something I cannot answer. All I can say is that I did what was in my hands which was to perform well in domestic cricket and on ‘A’ team tours but failed to get opportunities to play more than 4 Tests. There was a glimmer of hope in the series against South Africa in 2013 where it seemed I would get a chance for a comeback but that did not happen and I suppose that is part and parcel of cricket.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that you have missed out on chances to represent Pakistan simply due to bad luck?

Umar Amin:
    I do feel that luck plays an important part in how one's career moves forward at the international level. Some cricketers have been lucky enough to have progressed in international cricket very quickly but others like me have had to wait. Misbah-ul-Haq is a good example of such a player who had to wait for a long time to establish himself in the national side. I feel that I still have time left in my career to make a comeback and am putting all my energies towards this goal.

PakPassion.net: It must have been demotivating that despite being classed as a future Test captain, you have not played many times in this format for Pakistan?

Umar Amin:
    There is always disappointment when you are unable to reach the goals and aims that you set for yourself at the start of your career. But this is where the people around you, such as friends and family, have a positive effect on you by supporting you and lifting you. I would like to thank my family who were there at difficult times and it's due to their efforts that I have been able to lift myself after a few disappointments in my career.

It's easy to say that one feels disappointed after being dropped from the Pakistan side after being labelled as a future captain for the national side, but the fact is that it is absolutely devastating for a player when he goes through this situation in his career. But it's also a fact that in order to become a great player, one has to go through such adversities and still keep a positive mindset, and this is also how I wish to conduct myself.

PakPassion.net: Do you accept that your batting may have deficiencies that have prevented your selection?

Umar Amin:
    The fact is that no one is perfect and every player has some deficiencies which he needs to overcome. If you were to ask the top names in cricket, they would all say that they are not perfect and still have a great deal to learn to improve their skills further. If I had deficiencies that were so critical to my progress then I would never have been asked to play for Pakistan 34 times. I do accept that I still have a lot to learn but to say that I haven’t progressed in international cricket due to deficiencies will be wrong and to prove that, I will once again refer you to my overall record since 2015 which shows that I have improved a lot and my performances have been consistently good.

PakPassion.net: Do you believe that you were asked to play in formats which did not really suit your game?

Umar Amin:
    I do not agree with this assessment as I feel that whilst my style of play may be distinctive, I have no issues in playing all formats. If we look at my record from 2015 onwards, there is no doubt that I am equally comfortable in red-ball and white-ball cricket. If I had one weakness in my game, it would probably be that I was less consistent in the early part my career but that is all history now.

PakPassion.net: Why do you think you lacked that consistency and how have you gone about fixing that problem?

Umar Amin:
    I have worked very hard to improve this problem of inconsistent performances and have tried to enhance my concentration levels as before I was lacking in this area. The idea was to work on my consistency so that I would be able to follow up on a good performance with another good performance and so on and my recent record shows that I have been successful in that endeavour. I think there is an impression of my suitability for Test match cricket only based upon my performances in the early part of my international career. But since then, I have worked on my fitness and my power game to bring it in line with the demands of the modern game where aggression is needed during certain match situations. Put simply, there is a huge difference in the Umar Amin of 2010 with the one of today.

PakPassion.net: Are orthodox batsmen not the flavour of the month in cricket anymore?

Umar Amin:
    In terms of providing entertainment for the audiences and what it means to make the game more useful in financial terms for players and teams, a hard-hitting batsman is much more attractive than a batsman who plays proper shots. The entertainment aspect of cricket seems to be given a lot of importance as we see in the way new T20 and T10 leagues have sprung up in recent times. But for people who truly love and understand the game, the only real format is Test cricket. This is the only format which brings the sort of intensity that does not exist elsewhere in cricket. True fans will appreciate a match situation more where a team has 2 wickets remaining and needs 15 runs to win, with the close of play on the 5th day fast approaching, compared to a situation where 3 balls are left and 6 runs needed to win in a T20 game. Is it, therefore, any surprise that the world’s top Test batsman, Steve Smith, has such a large fan following?

PakPassion.net: At 30 years of age, how hopeful are you of making a comeback in international cricket?

Umar Amin:
    I am totally optimistic about my future in international cricket and God Willing, I will soon make a comeback for my country. It is my aim to play as much as possible for Pakistan rather than spend the rest of my career playing just domestic cricket and hopefully. I will be successful in my goals.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He isn't good enough.

Was unlucky the way he's been treated, but time to move on.

Saud Shakeel is much better.

And Abdullah Shafique is 10X better.

We must look at the new generation.

Saud Shakeel
    Abdullah Shafique
    Saif Badar
    Muhammed Huraira
    Muhammed Haris
    Haider Ali
    Ali Zaryab

Look to these guys. Forget these 30+ year olds.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Highly unlikely. Even in recent past he was not good enough (2-3 years ago). But considering he is approaching 30 he will have good chance to play for Pakistan under Misbah.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he should have been given more chances he is a very classy batsman.Consistency was the issue with him but if he is given chance now he can prove his worth but I m not sure if he will get any chance.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Should have played for Pakistan a lot more than he has.

Some players just don't raise their game to the international level.

There's still time for him though.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should’ve been what Babar Azam is today. He was treated unfairly his whole career.

InSha’Allah he will represent Pakistan in all 3 formats very soon.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I havent lost hope in Amin just yet. Needs to be given another go, specially in tests.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That may be true - 10 years is a long time and batsmen can be very different at ages 20 vs 30. That said, Amin still isn't a top domestic performer, in fact he's quite ordinary. Definitely hasn't earned a national call-up.

He was the 14th highest run-scorer in the last QAE, with a really weak average of 32

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when so many 35 + and approaching 40 players, who have been much less productive for long can keep on playing for Pakistan , why not this guy be given another chance at 30. He is still one of the best in Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Umar Amin isn't a player who has any special quality in him. He is just a mediocre batsman really. Was given a few chances and didn't take them. Overall he's quite meh.

Specially with plenty of young openers coming through, don't see him in Pakistan setup.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    You averaged 32 on dead flat pitches with the Kookaburra ball this season where QEA Trophy was of a much higher standard compared to the past.

There's no case for his selection.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Club level player at best.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seems to get pretty defensive in some of his answers. Have had a bit of a soft spot for him, but needs to put in the performances to be selected.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He is a lovely lad, very personable and down to earth and nothing would give me more pleasure to see him succeed but sadly it won't happen for him. He is late on the ball and that's not a good sign.
    Last edited by Bewal Express; 23rd July 2020 at 17:10.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Amin should be a test bat in near future. I strongly believe he should take over the batting position of 3 from Azhar Ali in test format.

It is already evidenced how Shan Masood returned a different player after spending time in domestics and I have the same feeling about Amin.

Not playing a test match since 2010 is criminally unfair on him without a doubt.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    Umar Amin should be a test bat in near future. I strongly believe he should take over the batting position of 3 from Azhar Ali in test format.

It is already evidenced how Shan Masood returned a different player after spending time in domestics and I have the same feeling about Amin.

Not playing a test match since 2010 is criminally unfair on him without a doubt.
    He definitely makes my T20 world cup XI.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LAHORE - Pakistani batsman Umar Amin believes he performed well in domestic cricket and on ‘A’ team tours but he failed to get opportunities to play more than four Tests.

“This question really needs to be directed to people who are responsible for selection as this is something I cannot answer. All I can say is that I did what was in my hands, which was to perform well in domestic cricket and on ‘A’ team tours but failed to get opportunities to play more than 4 Tests.

There was a glimmer of hope in the series against South Africa in 2013 where it seemed I would get a chance for a comeback but that did not happen and I suppose that is part and parcel of cricket,” Pakpassion.net quoted him as saying.

Amin, who scored 59 runs in four Tests, said he feels that luck plays an important part in how one’s career moves forward at the international level.

“Some cricketers have been lucky enough to have progressed in international cricket very quickly but others like me have had to wait. Former Pakistani Skipper and current head coach Misbah-ul-Haq is a good example of such a player who had to wait for a long time to establish himself in the national side. I feel that I still have time left in my career to make a comeback and am putting all my energies towards this goal,” he said.

https://nation.com.pk/01-Aug-2020/i-...ties-umar-amin

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done to PakPassion, your forum has the potential to work closely with PCB electronic media and give voice to our cricket on social media platforms.

On Amin, I would say he needs another good domestic season.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Should have played for Pakistan a lot more than he has.

Some players just don't raise their game to the international level.

There's still time for him though.
    Based on what?

Even in domestics he is not crossing the 40 average mark in FC in most seasons.

He is eons behind other domestic batsmen in the batting charts.

Like there is literally no case for him to be picked.

Even when he was picked in 2010 he was not picked on his record which was a very mediocre one. I remember his FC average was mid 30s (still hasnt crossed 40). Rather he was selected on 'look' and 'potential' which clearly did not pan out.

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Future_Knick View Post
    He should’ve been what Babar Azam is today. He was treated unfairly his whole career.

InSha’Allah he will represent Pakistan in all 3 formats very soon.
    Based on what? He was given 4 Tests, 16 ODIs and 14 T20Is despite failing to average even 40 in any of those formats at domestic level.

In 34 international cricket matches (THIRTY FOUR is a HUGE number of chances) he has ONLY ONE fifty. Just one fifty in so many chances.

Others have been treated unfairly on his expense. He has been actually very lucky to get that many chances without even setting world alight at domestic level. We have other batsmen grinding away at domestic level year after year topping the run charts and never getting chances and here you are claiming he has been treated unfairly??? Like seriously? Where does this victimhood even come from?

I agree he 'looks' a great player and if he had succeeded he would have been a batsman with a very beautiful, attractive game similar to Babar Azam. And that is why I feel for such 'potential' there is an argument to fast track them to the side and give them chances. So I am fine with Umar Amin getting chances despite an average domestic record at the time of his debut 10 yeas ago. However he failed miserably despite 30+ chances so once you have that you really need to cut your losses as a team. There is no basis in claiming unfair treatment.

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Even in recent years in domestics, Umar Amin has hardly set the world alight.

The following is his domestic FC average in recent years:

2015/16: 50.87
    2016/17 23.00
    2017/18: 38.07
    2018/19: 56.00
    2019/20: 32.21

So in the last five years he has only had 2 good seasons and some really mediocre ones. In only one season was he among the top 5 scorers (which is a poor indicator anyway because the best batsmen don't get to play whole season due to national duty). Regardless the fact is he has not really been dominating FC cricket for there to be an argument for unfair treatment. Guys like Abid Ali and Fawad averaged 45+ pretty much each season (70+ sometimes) and had to wait ages for a chance and yet Umar Amin with 2 out of 5 good seasons is gonna claim that he wasn't given chances?

#MPGA

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After the conclusion of current England tour someone needs to look into Umar Amin and focus on his performance in the next domestic tournament.

I feel he should be part of NZ test series, he had a good T20 series there couple of years back.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has a good technique and shot range. It is really difficult to understand why he hasn't had a successful international career. Being in and out of the team didn't help his development in my opinion.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be selected for the NZ series again.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Even in recent years in domestics, Umar Amin has hardly set the world alight.

The following is his domestic FC average in recent years:

2015/16: 50.87
    2016/17 23.00
    2017/18: 38.07
    2018/19: 56.00
    2019/20: 32.21

So in the last five years he has only had 2 good seasons and some really mediocre ones. In only one season was he among the top 5 scorers (which is a poor indicator anyway because the best batsmen don't get to play whole season due to national duty). Regardless the fact is he has not really been dominating FC cricket for there to be an argument for unfair treatment. Guys like Abid Ali and Fawad averaged 45+ pretty much each season (70+ sometimes) and had to wait ages for a chance and yet Umar Amin with 2 out of 5 good seasons is gonna claim that he wasn't given chances?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salman4. View Post
    Should be selected for the NZ series again.
    Based on what? Check his domestic record over the years.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Chasing 222 for victory today, Umar scored 51 off 42 balls. Not very impressive at all.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Selfish 50 of the season, he should be dropped from the team...

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Horrible innings. Completely killed the chase for his side.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have tried much more in the first 6 overs especially considering the long batting lineup of Northern. With so much domestic experience you expect much better match awareness to be honest. Yes on certain days you struggle to hit the ball but him getting out trying that would have been acceptable than trying to stay on the crease in a T20 match while chasing 222.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should've stick to number 6 .His limited over career is going nowhere

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a good innings in context of game, not a fan of his T20 career either.

What would work best for him and Pakistan would be for him to perform in QEA and stake a claim in test line-up, that is where he belongs not in T20s.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Very rarely does a 51 of 42..6 fours and 2 sixes look like such a poor innings. In the context of 222 sure does

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His inning suddenly makes Imam 100% better

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Imad is definitely not happy with that innings at all

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So this is the Umar Amin of 2020.

By 2070, he would have cracked it. And would be the perfect age for Misbah to coach him.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If that's what Imad is saying in public, I wager Umar Amin would've copped an absolute rocket in the change room

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyone View Post
    Most Selfish 50 of the season, he should be dropped from the team...
    Looks like he will be dropped or moved down the batting order imad definitely wasnt happy

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imad being brutally honest he may dropped umar or move him down the order

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very poor innings looks like played for himself to cement his place in the semi final