Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Team of the tournament - National T20 Cup 2020

The fielding wasn't always good & was even abysmal at times, some old faces popped up a lot more than they should have, & the broadcasting had some issues but overall, the tournament sets a perfect template for what Pakistan's domestic cricket should be like.

The amount of scrutiny has been such that coaches "had to" draft people from the second 11 to replace nonperforming players. I'm not sure if I have seen this kind of contingency planning or accountability in any Pakistani domestic tournament before.

Because of the covid crisis and HD option availability, the tournament was a good distraction and an entertaining watch even though this format isn't the most rewarding of the lot.

Here's a selection of sixteen players who I feel dominated or announced themselves in the tournament

1. Babar
    2. Maqsood
    3. Haider
    4. Shafiq (Abdullah)
    5. Rizwan (keeper)
    6. Khushdil
    7. Shadab
    8. Amir (Yameen)
    9. Wahab
    x. Rauf
    c. Shaheen

Hassan, Azam, & Danish from Sindh all announced themselves in the tournament and while the latter two need immense work on fitness and fielding, Azam has put his name forward as a left-field choice for a wicket keeping batsman.

Zahid from S. Punjab despite playing less has also served notice of his talent.

Qasim Akram from C. Punjab is also one to keep an eye on even though he didn't get as many opportunities with the bat, he looks to have some spark in him.

Honorable mention to Akif (Balochistan), Muhammad Imran and Ali Imran (SP & Northern) respectively and Fakhar (KPK).

Some older faces like Akmal, Tanvir, Irfan, Bhatti & Rahat look to be in the fading stages of their career which also seems like a good news. There was no mystery spinner or even a left-arm chinaman which is a minor bummer. Hasnain and Naseem seem to either be injured or out of form which is not an encouraging news for the future. No one knows where Amir's heart is anymore but it certainly isn't in the cricketing field from the looks of it.

Short reviews on the teams after the tournament:

Balochistan picked a team that had no middle order whatsoever.

C. Punjab invested on the wrong Akmal and a club level player as captain for half the tournament.

Sindh had so many heavy weights sometimes it was hard to remember which sport was being played.

The Northeners continued to believe in Asif as if he was a savior which he diligently disproved match after match. Also, you have to be mad to think that Imad is a good captain, Shadab despite his theatrics is light years ahead in that department.

KPK are probably the oldest domestic side in the world in terms of average age even if we consider Iftikhar to be 29.

SP have the spirit of 92 tattoeed on the insides of their heads and have one of the smartest "tareen" players in Pakistan as their captain. Good on you Shan, we laughed at you once for thinking of you as a nothing player but you continue to prove that hardwork can get you places.

After the onesided semis, I hope the final is competitive in nature but
    whatever happens tomorrow is irrelevant as cliched as it is, the tournament (not cricket) itself is a winner no matter who lifts the trophy.

Here's hoping to more HD coverage, qualifier/eliminator style final matches, less shoddy commentary, & better graphics the next time PCB schedule some cricket.

Har haal main cricket!!

Azaadi. InshAllah.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: Zeeshan Malik
    2: Haider Ali
    3: Babar Azam
    4: Abdullah Shafique
    5: Muhammad Rizwan (c) (w)
    6: Shadab Khan
    7: Danish Aziz
    8: Amir Yamin
    9: Wahab Riaz
    10: Haris Rauf
    11: Shaheen Shah Afridi

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummii View Post
    1: Zeeshan Malik
    2: Haider Ali
    3: Babar Azam
    4: Abdullah Shafique
    5: Muhammad Rizwan (c) (w)
    6: Shadab Khan
    7: Danish Aziz
    8: Amir Yamin
    9: Wahab Riaz
    10: Haris Rauf
    11: Shaheen Shah Afridi
    You left our the 3 highest run scorers of the tournament. Of the top 7 scorers, you only selected 2

Also, Ehsan Adil outperformed Wahab. He has a better average, SR, economy, and wickets/match than Wahab

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Team of the Tournament

1. Babar Azam
    2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
    3. Haider Ali
    4. Shadab Khan (c)
    5. Sohaib Maqsood
    6. Khushdil Shah
    7. Danish Aziz
    8. Aamer Yamin
    9. Zahid Mahmood
    10. Shaheen Afridi
    11. Haris Rauf

Bench: Zeeshan Malik, Abdullah Shafique, Mohammad Rizwan, Azam Khan, Ehsan Adil, Qasim Akram.

Obviously some of these players are too undercooked or overcooked to be selected (thus some bench players like Abdullah Shafiq should be selected ahead of Sohaib Maqsood), but these are the best performers of the tournament.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also, the keeperís call is tough. Rizwan is hands down the best batsman and best keeper from all the keepers, yet he also bats a little slow for the first 30 runs and then tries to compensate after that.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel was a huge dissapointment

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Team of the Tournament

1. Babar Azam
    2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
    3. Haider Ali
    4. Shadab Khan (c)
    5. Sohaib Maqsood
    6. Khushdil Shah
    7. Danish Aziz
    8. Aamer Yamin
    9. Zahid Mahmood
    10. Shaheen Afridi
    11. Haris Rauf

Bench: Zeeshan Malik, Abdullah Shafique, Mohammad Rizwan, Azam Khan, Ehsan Adil, Qasim Akram.

Obviously some of these players are too undercooked or overcooked to be selected (thus some bench players like Abdullah Shafiq should be selected ahead of Sohaib Maqsood), but these are the best performers of the tournament.
    Pretty good, considering the style of play each player offer for team composition. I will probably add Sohail Khan to the bench as well over Qasim and probably even in the XI over Zahid depending upon the conditions as Danish, Khushdil can also provide bit of a spin option if necessary. While Sohail Khan doesnt have much future in LOIs but bowled really well in the tournament.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Pretty good, considering the style of play each player offer for team composition. I will probably add Sohail Khan to the bench as well over Qasim and probably even in the XI over Zahid depending upon the conditions as Danish, Khushdil can also provide bit of a spin option if necessary. While Sohail Khan doesnt have much future in LOIs but bowled really well in the tournament.
    Very true, but the only reason I didnít include him is because the first XI already has 3 new ball bowlers. Performed surprisingly well though.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team of the Tournament

1. Babar Azam
    2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
    3. Haider Ali
    4. Shadab Khan (c)
    5. Sohaib Maqsood
    6. Khushdil Shah
    7. Danish Aziz
    8. Aamer Yamin
    9. Zahid Mahmood
    10. Shaheen Afridi
    11. Haris Rauf

I really like your team but I would put Rizwan in instead of Zeeshan Ashraf and I will tell my logic behind it too. In your team, everybody except Babar is an aggressive hitter and your team has all the potential to collapse and lose badly. It is a team which will win flamboyantly but will lose crucial matches too. Due to that I would prefer a steady opening partnership which can score at 7 or 8 run a over without losing a wicket in the Powerplay and that would be with Babar and Rizwan. With that, some flamboyant victories will go away but that team would win much more than lose. From No. 3 to No. 8 all can hit from ball one which makes a steady opening combo sensible.
    However, I am just saying this because of the team you made. In the Pakistan team we have consolidators who need 5 to 10 deliveries at least for hitting out. That means we need a striker with Babar which right now is Fakhar.
    Feel free to disagree but this is how I put my argument.
    Last edited by DandyFellow; 18th October 2020 at 06:34.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyFellow View Post
    I really like your team but I would put Rizwan in instead of Zeeshan Ashraf and I will tell my logic behind it too. In your team, everybody except Babar is an aggressive hitter and your team has all the potential to collapse and lose badly. It is a team which will win flamboyantly but will lose crucial matches too. Due to that I would prefer a steady opening partnership which can score at 7 or 8 run a over without losing a wicket in the Powerplay and that would be with Babar and Rizwan. With that, some flamboyant victories will go away but that team would win much more than lose. From No. 3 to No. 8 all can hit from ball one which makes a steady opening combo sensible.
    However, I am just saying this because of the team you made. In the Pakistan team we have consolidators who need 5 to 10 deliveries at least for hitting out. That means we need a striker with Babar which right now is Fakhar.
    Feel free to disagree but this is how I put my argument.
    That makes a lot of sense. Rizwan is also the much better keeper, and heís working hard on his power hitting game. So not a bad choice at all to have him open with Babar.

Regarding flamboyance, I feel the most flamboyant batting lineups are often most successful in T20s because it translates to high strike rates while utilizing all the wickets available, so even if there is a collapse of 2-3 quick wickets, those players do some good damage before getting out.

Also, in addition to Babar we have players like Shadab and Haider who have the ability to dig in deep if need be, and so does Danish Aziz, so I donít think itís completely full of aggressive hitters who might get out quickly. Thatís why for me itís more of a tossup between Rizwan and Zeeshan (though as I think more and more about it, Rizwanís keeping skill might just edge him out).

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    For a change, I'll make this squad based on SR - there has been significant numbers of games (10 each) and most players have got 6-7 outing. Also, I'll pick players on their batting position - no point picking someone at 6 for his stats at three. Also, players have to play at least 5 games to be considered, otherwise the stats can be misleading. This will be my 16 men squad

1. *Babar
    2. Haider
    3. Maqsood
    4. +Rizwan
    5. Shadab
    6. Khusdil
    7. Azam/Danish Aziz
    8. Sohail Khan
    9. Shaheen
    10. Rauf
    11. Akif
    ----------------------------------
    13. Amir Yamin
    14. +Zeeshan Ashraf
    15. Gohar
    16. Imam

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team I hoped to see....
    Sharjeel
    Babar
    Haider
    Abdullah
    Rohail
    Khushdil
    Danish
    Zafar
    Amad Butt
    Amir
    Rauf
    Saheen

The team that should be...
    Babar
    Rizwan
    Maqsood
    Abdullah
    Danish Aziz
    Khushdil
    Shadab
    Yamin
    RAuf
    Sinwari
    Saheen

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something PCB should do as well. Release a official team of the tornument. And have some rewards/recognition to all who make it. Good to boost player morales who make it and them knowing their hard work is being recognised.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rizwan
    Khurram
    Abdullah
    Maqsood
    Shadab
    Khushdil
    Yamin
    Zahid/Danish Aziz
    Rauf
    Shaheen
    Sohail

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Babar Azam
    2. Haider Ali
    3. Sohaib Maqsood
    4. Mohammed Rizwan
    5. Danish Aziz
    6. Khushdil Shah
    7. Aamir Yamin
    8. Sohail Khan
    9. Shaheen Shah Afridi
    10. Zahid Mahmood
    11. Haris Rauf

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muhammad Rizwan
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Abdullah Shafiq
    Azam Khan
    Khushdil Shah
    Danish Aziz
    Amir yamin
    Sohail Khan
    Shaheen Shah
    Zahid Mehmood
    Haris Rauf

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar
    Zeeshan Ashraf
    Abdullah shaifque
    Azam khan
    Khushdil
    Danish aziz
    Shadab khan
    Yamin
    Qadir
    Shaheen
    Rauf

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezy9 View Post
    This is something PCB should do as well. Release a official team of the tornument. And have some rewards/recognition to all who make it. Good to boost player morales who make it and them knowing their hard work is being recognised.
    Agreed.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes a lot of sense. Rizwan is also the much better keeper, and he’s working hard on his power hitting game. So not a bad choice at all to have him open with Babar.

Regarding flamboyance, I feel the most flamboyant batting lineups are often most successful in T20s because it translates to high strike rates while utilizing all the wickets available, so even if there is a collapse of 2-3 quick wickets, those players do some good damage before getting out.

Also, in addition to Babar we have players like Shadab and Haider who have the ability to dig in deep if need be, and so does Danish Aziz, so I don’t think it’s completely full of aggressive hitters who might get out quickly. That’s why for me it’s more of a tossup between Rizwan and Zeeshan (though as I think more and more about it, Rizwan’s keeping skill might just edge him out).
    I agree with you that the most flamboyant teams win the most. In this tournament, it was Northern. But did they win the tournament? Nope. Flamboyant teams often fail in pressure games where scoring 200 is not required. On your team if two wickets fall early including Babar and Haider then the team becomes really vulnerable. If you have 15 overs to play and you have Shadab, Khushdil, Sohaib, Danish and Amer Yamin they all do not know how to set up the innings at international level or a crucial tournament game.
    Your team will give epic phainta to teams in normal matches and less pressure games. Statistically flamboyant teams win the most in T20 but the world cup or the tournament is won through a strong and consistent bowling line up. All the teams including West Indies had the bowling line up suitable for T20s.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    As long as that team does not have the likes of Malik, Shafiq - think I will be fine with it.

Seriously speaking

Haider Ali
    Khushdil
    Rohail
    Haris Rauf
    Zahid Mahmood
    Abdullah Shafiq
    Rizwan
    Shaheen Shah Afridi

all of these are core for my team of the tournament.
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th October 2020 at 22:07.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar
    Rizwan (wk)
    Haider
    Maqsood
    Shadab (c)
    Khushdil
    Danish/Azam
    Yameen
    Sohail/Zahid
    Shaheen
    Rauf

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing Misbah, we will be seeing Malik, Hafeez, Iftikhar, Wahab, Sarfaraz getting selecting for Zimbabwe series.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of these names listed here, but can I just say how damn easier it is as a fan to properly monitor the players with only six teams.

In the old system with a hotchpotch of departments and regions, it was impossible to track a player and so many youngsters were simply lost in the system.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I agree with most of these names listed here, but can I just say how damn easier it is as a fan to properly monitor the players with only six teams.

In the old system with a hotchpotch of departments and regions, it was impossible to track a player and so many youngsters were simply lost in the system.
    I principally agree with you but would love to have one more team representing Gilgit Baltistan.

The best bit about fewer teams is that the competition is between the best available talent playing the FC circuit. Take the example of Sohaib Maqsood, he's a good hitter and almost a very good player. If he has to face Taj Wali, an almost retired Gul, Ammad Butt, or some other domestic trundler, he's going to smash them till Multan via G.T. Road. Make him face Shaheen and he's going to be the same rabbit in front of headlights that we saw when he played international cricket.

I have always agreed with IK that domestic cricket should be as close to international cricket as possible if you want to have a constant stream of talent. That's why I don't rate some domestic players who dominate our cricket season after season primarily because of few reasons

1. Talent pool is thinned out so much that every domestic team carries 60 percent passengers
    2. The few good international class players left are touring with the Pakistan international team hence diluting the talent pool even more
    3. Our fielding is abysmal so we can never really know how many catches were dropped before the batter ultimately got out

I truly hope that they deliver the feeder system below this standard in the next couple of years and we have a thriving club and school cricket scene. That would be the true revolution in terms of cricket and hopefully that will make us become a strong cricketing nation.

Azaadi. InshAllah.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    I principally agree with you but would love to have one more team representing Gilgit Baltistan.

The best bit about fewer teams is that the competition is between the best available talent playing the FC circuit. Take the example of Sohaib Maqsood, he's a good hitter and almost a very good player. If he has to face Taj Wali, an almost retired Gul, Ammad Butt, or some other domestic trundler, he's going to smash them till Multan via G.T. Road. Make him face Shaheen and he's going to be the same rabbit in front of headlights that we saw when he played international cricket.

I have always agreed with IK that domestic cricket should be as close to international cricket as possible if you want to have a constant stream of talent. That's why I don't rate some domestic players who dominate our cricket season after season primarily because of few reasons

1. Talent pool is thinned out so much that every domestic team carries 60 percent passengers
    2. The few good international class players left are touring with the Pakistan international team hence diluting the talent pool even more
    3. Our fielding is abysmal so we can never really know how many catches were dropped before the batter ultimately got out

I truly hope that they deliver the feeder system below this standard in the next couple of years and we have a thriving club and school cricket scene. That would be the true revolution in terms of cricket and hopefully that will make us become a strong cricketing nation.
    I agree with your points but, we can only easily see these things because of 6 teams now. Imagine what would have been the quality of cricket in the 18 team or so domestic structure along with multiple random tournaments with few involving departments and some involving regions/cities. Some good hitters would have had much easier bowlers to face then almost retired Gul or Taj Wali (Who has better domestic stats than some who used to play in other teams in previous domestic structure).

There were so many free riders and ordinary players in previous domestic structure that we cant even imagine and almost nobody knew as who can follow so many teams and each player in them.

Grass root system can hopefully be developed soon as that would be the heart of this system.
    Last edited by Titan24; 19th October 2020 at 03:14.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam
    Fakhar Zaman
    Mohammad Rizwan* (WK)
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Shadab Khan (VC)
    Khushdil Shah
    Danish Aziz
    Aamer Yamin
    Wahab Riaz
    Haris Rauf
    Shaheen Afridi

Bench: Zeeshan Malik, Haider Ali, Imam-ul-Haq, Abdullah Shafiq, Ehsan Adil

Don't know how everyone's leaving out the player of the tournament in Fakhar.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team of the Tournament

1. Babar Azam
    2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
    3. Haider Ali
    4. Shadab Khan (c)
    5. Sohaib Maqsood
    6. Khushdil Shah
    7. Danish Aziz
    8. Aamer Yamin
    9. Zahid Mahmood
    10. Shaheen Afridi
    11. Haris Rauf

The best thing about this is that it is largely a new look side. For once there's several batsmen to be excited about at once, i can't physically remember the last time i had that feeling.

Extremely worried about Misbah's abilities to nurture our youngsters with appropriate international exposure over time. I don't think he has the first clue how to develop young talent.