User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Does the exclusion from the New Zealand tour signal the end of Asad Shafiq's international career?

From PCB release:

“There are three major omissions from the side that toured England. Asad Shafiq has been left out due to lack of form after he managed 510 runs in his last 15 innings, including a total of 67 runs in England. Asad is an experienced batsman and I am sure he will utilise this time to work harder on his game in the domestic first-class matches so that he, like Sarfaraz Ahmed, can reclaim his form and be back in contention for the upcoming Tests against South Africa and Zimbabwe.

==
    Does this signal end of his career as Pakistan player?
    Last edited by The Viper; 11th November 2020 at 17:56.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surprised tbh. Who’s going to bat at number 6?

Shadab or Rizwan?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Surprised tbh. Who’s going to bat at number 6?

Shadab or Rizwan?
    Fawad Alam at 5 and then Haris Sohail at 6, most likely.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually can't believe we dropped him. Never thought I would see the day.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Fawad Alam at 5 and then Haris Sohail at 6, most likely.
    Why pick Fawad Alam if they are dropping Asad Shafiq?

PCB are experts at the art of making no sense. Asad Shafiq is apparently finished but Fawad Alam has shown signs of rejuvenation of his batting career at the age of 36?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PCB are experts at the art of making no sense. Asad Shafiq is apparently finished but Fawad Alam has shown signs of rejuvenation of his batting career at the age of 36?
    He ll definitely go after kiwi series if he fails to perform

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fawad is in good form in the ongoing QEA. Also he is 35. He is super fit and could play for 5-6 years.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

should you really drop someone after giving a couple of chances , he deserves a few before casting him off finally.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Fawad is in good form in the ongoing QEA. Also he is 35. He is super fit and could play for 5-6 years.
    This is where we go wrong every time. Why is a man being encouraged to still play international cricket at the age of 40-41?

The talent that could be ready to take over for Pakistan will currently be sitting out whilst we are allowing chachus to still develop themselves to give us a big season of 6-700 runs at the age of 37-38.

Might as well let Shafiq play if that’s the case, he might even play 100 Tests in the process, when was the last time anyone played this many Tests for Pakistan?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope InshaAllah

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, I keep hearing this name Saud Shakeel on this forum. I just checked up on him, watched some of his batting videos...I don’t see why he should not be preferred before Fawad Alam in the Test side?

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I keep hearing this name Saud Shakeel on this forum. I just checked up on him, watched some of his batting videos...I don’t see why he should not be preferred before Fawad Alam in the Test side?
    Saud should, but unfortunately we have a log jam of oldies in the middle order who would need to fail conclusively to allow Saud even a chance. InshAllah Saud now has the opportunity to pile on the runs in the QEA trophy. I'd argue that he's probable the best natural stroke player in Pakistan after Babar. He does not have Haider's hitting ability, but as a classical batsmen, Alhamdulillah he is *chef's kiss*, proper quality. InshAllah I'm hopeful we'll see him debut in 2021

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted him dropped too but he should have been picked fir shaheens..we going to newzealand and the middle order looks real weak...faddy will struggle big time

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is where we go wrong every time. Why is a man being encouraged to still play international cricket at the age of 40-41?

The talent that could be ready to take over for Pakistan will currently be sitting out whilst we are allowing chachus to still develop themselves to give us a big season of 6-700 runs at the age of 37-38.

Might as well let Shafiq play if that’s the case, he might even play 100 Tests in the process, when was the last time anyone played this many Tests for Pakistan?
    Shafiq hasnt performed at all for the last 20 tests
    Fawad hasnt had the opportunity Theres a big difference

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    From PCB release:

“There are three major omissions from the side that toured England. Asad Shafiq has been left out due to lack of form after he managed 510 runs in his last 15 innings, including a total of 67 runs in England. Asad is an experienced batsman and I am sure he will utilise this time to work harder on his game in the domestic first-class matches so that he, like Sarfaraz Ahmed, can reclaim his form and be back in contention for the upcoming Tests against South Africa and Zimbabwe.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    This is turning out to be a good week - Trump kicked out, Azhar's pathetic captaincy reign over and now Choker Extraordinaire, the most unreliable player under pressure in history of Pakistan Cricket, has been thrown out as well.

Good riddance, I never want to hear his name again.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling they play rizwan at 6 with Talat coming in at 7.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Inshallah. Enough of this rubbish.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omer2002 View Post
    I wanted him dropped too but he should have been picked fir shaheens..we going to newzealand and the middle order looks real weak...faddy will struggle big time
    What's the point picking up for shaheens hes wasting a spot for a youngester then

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the biggest gutter player ever with more than 75 matches under his belt... cannot believe it that he played that many games... but then shows how poor our team has been in test cricket that he was our no6 for that long... his contributions are pathetic in anything that we have achieved ..... most useless cricketer ever

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Well, a century today.

Maybe he was in the comfort zone and we'll see him fight for his place once again.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Well, a century today.

Maybe he was in the comfort zone and we'll see him fight for his place once again.
    There should be no coming back for him at his age He reached his celing years back n i cant see him improving much

It would be a lot better we groom a new lad at his position at 5 or 6 who can serve the team for the next decade

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hope its the end, but you can never count out these guys. They are well connected and always find a way to squeeze back in. All it takes is one good innings in domestic cricket and immediately their friends will be gunning for them to be selected again, and once its done the reason will be "since he has regained his form now he has been selected". We all heard how Azhar was shamelessly defending Asad. This is how so many (eg Malik, Asad) have survived through this decade of mediocrity. Once you're in, you're in. Meanwhile less fortunate players spend years toiling away at the domestic level and never get a chance.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why did he retire hurt yesterday?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6849 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    He will be back. Misbah dropped him so that he can play FC and regain his form.

After this century, he should be expected to return to the squad for the home series vs South Africa in Jan/Feb.

The Pakistani lineup except Babar will find it very hard to cope with the NZ bowlers so his replacement(s) are unlikely to make a mark.

Misbah did him a great favor by shielding him from NZ bowlers.

You can expect a couple of soft 60s and 70s vs South Africa at home and normal business to resume.

He will hang around for another 2-3 years.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All credit to Misbah-Waqar for finally dropping the undroppable failure Shafiq. Good riddance.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    All credit to Misbah-Waqar for finally dropping the undroppable failure Shafiq. Good riddance.
    Scoring 100s in QeA will probably bring him back.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Scoring 100s in QeA will probably bring him back.
    Out for 141 for Sindh in QeA20

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Out for 141 for Sindh in QeA20
    Doing his best to stay relevant!

This from PCB report:

Asad Shafiq, who had retired hurt yesterday, added 18 runs to his overnight score before he was dismissed on 141 by leg-spinner Zahid Mehmood, who stood out with an impressive four for 84.

Asad hit 18 fours from the 241 balls he faced before Sindh were all out for 383 in 111.5 overs. They gathered four bonus points for batting as they had breached the 350-run mark by the completion of 100 overs, while Southern Punjab bagged two points for dismissing six batsmen.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asad Shafiq and Ajinkya Rahane
    On talent level both should have been averaging late 40s close to 50 and should have been crisis kings for their teams.

Both will end up with sub 40 test averages and overall unfulfilled careers

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    What should have happened is that he should have been dropped a while ago and made to do the hard yards in domestic cricket. The decision to drop him has been left too late.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can only hope. In any other country, such a mentally weak player would never have been allowed to play more than 30 test matches. In Pakistan, he is a veteran with 77 test caps.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He will be back. Misbah dropped him so that he can play FC and regain his form.

After this century, he should be expected to return to the squad for the home series vs South Africa in Jan/Feb.

The Pakistani lineup except Babar will find it very hard to cope with the NZ bowlers so his replacement(s) are unlikely to make a mark.

Misbah did him a great favor by shielding him from NZ bowlers.

You can expect a couple of soft 60s and 70s vs South Africa at home and normal business to resume.

He will hang around for another 2-3 years.
    Yeah, unfortunately this is the most likely scenario.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite Asad's recent hundred for Sindh, I'd like to think that the team thinktank will move on from him as he's gotten enough chances already. Even if Asad's replacements (whoever they slot in the XI) do poorly in NZ they should still be given a long rope to prove themselves (at the very least get a chance to play in NZ and at home vs SA). Furthermore, Misbah ain't the chief selector anymore, so Asad being recalled, regardless of QeA form, would still be unlikely... I hope .

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saud Shakeel must come in for the SA home series. Would be a Travesty if Asad comes back

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are good players like Asad Shafique who we have completely wasted by never dropping him from the national team. Now it is too late as this should have been done ages ago.

After scoring that century against Southern Punjab, I won't be surprised to see him play the second test match against New Zealand on Jan 02, 2021.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caved12 View Post
    There are good players like Asad Shafique who we have completely wasted by never dropping him from the national team. Now it is too late as this should have been done ages ago.

After scoring that century against Southern Punjab, I won't be surprised to see him play the second test match against New Zealand on Jan 02, 2021.

How’s that possible he’s not a part of the 35 man squad

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    How’s that possible he’s not a part of the 35 man squad
    Yes I do know that. Misbah will figure out a way to include him in the team. It might get tough due to corona and all as they are required to be there at least a month in advance or 14 days, but you never know with Misbah and PCB.

The point I am trying to make is that Asad is not going anywhere and may go on to play test cricket for another 5 to 7 years.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll be back very soon. Too many backers of Asad in positions or authority. Some runs in the domestic circuit or a few failures of the replacements and things will be back to square one.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shafiq is a big loss for an NZ tour. He is the sole reason for Pakistan's superb slip cordon standards. Without him, the bowling will look even weaker.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute garbage this pathetic Asad useless player ever shafiq.He is the worst test player ever. In his test career he has never played a single match winning innings.Awful player

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    546 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is just a accumulator but he is very valuable in Asian conditions.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    He is just a accumulator but he is very valuable in Asian conditions.
    Nah he goes missing in pressure situations

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he will probably be back. To me it looks like Misbah will play 35+ aged players in Test cricket and ready to play some youngsters in limited overs cricket just to make sure the fans are happy.
    Never trust Misbah regarding selection matters.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    will misbah be chief selector after nz tour?

if not we can hope that he is not back , if misbah is still there then we might see him back.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Asad Shafiq retires from cricket, people will be astonished he was still playing and in the team.

Such is his 'impact'.

But yes, he will be back. Misbah has helped him enormously by saving him from another series where he would have averaged 16.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, a century today.

Similar reactive performance to being dropped, just like sarfaraz. If these players had been given a kick up backside earlier in careers and been dropped they may have not become complacent.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse. It's not a good sign if he ever comes back in your test XI.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There no way he should be coming back after one hundred

Other players have to knock the door down with consistent domestic performances over a season oe two Not after one performance

The incumbent needs the time and backing now that shafiq has had

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    There no way he should be coming back after one hundred

Other players have to knock the door down with consistent domestic performances over a season oe two Not after one performance

The incumbent needs the time and backing now that shafiq has had
    Hopefully with the new selector he wont get a chance

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Similar reactive performance to being dropped, just like sarfaraz. If these players had been given a kick up backside earlier in careers and been dropped they may have not become complacent.
    Indeed. And that is the problem in Pakistan cricket. Players get into the comfort zone and feel they will never be dropped as they are seniors. What should happen is that they should be dropped when struggling and made to fight once again for their place in international colours.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent knock of 5 in the 2nd innings by Shafiq. And out in the manner he usually does, nicked behind.

If he's called back into the team on the back of one century, then the selectors have really got their head in their backside.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Indeed. And that is the problem in Pakistan cricket. Players get into the comfort zone and feel they will never be dropped as they are seniors. What should happen is that they should be dropped when struggling and made to fight once again for their place in international colours.
    I think senior middle order pakistan batsmen seem to get more leeway with bad performances then other players in other positions in the team. Sadly players being picked/retained based on merit rarely happens with pakistan team. I think pakistan need to move on from Asad and Azhar aswell.