"I feel that I have improved a lot as a cricketer since my comeback" : Sharjeel Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"I feel that I have improved a lot as a cricketer since my comeback" : Sharjeel Khan

Whilst Sharjeel Khan made his debut for Pakistan in 2013, the aggressive left-handed opener shot to fame in the opening edition of the PSL where he scored 117 off 62 balls for Islamabad United against Peshawar Zalmi to take his side to the final where they beat Quetta Gladiators by 6 wickets. With 41 international appearances to his name, it appeared that he was heading towards establishing himself in the Pakistan Limited Overs side until he was found guilty of corrupt practices during the 2017 edition of the PSL, and banned for 5 years, 2 and a half of which were suspended. After serving his ban and offering an apology, Sharjeel returned to professional cricket to play for Karachi Kings in PSL 5 and has since been taking part in the 2020/21 domestic season.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Sharjeel spoke about the tough time away from cricket during his ban, why the loss of Dean Jones was devastating for him, his aims to work on his fitness and to do well in the domestic season, his impressions of the changes made to the domestic structure and his goal of making an international comeback.

Name:  cms_2.jpg
Views: 78266
Size:  46.4 KB

PakPassion.net: Looking back, how tough was the prospect of facing a 5-year ban from all cricket?

Sharjeel Khan:
    That was one of the toughest times of my life, but I don’t want to dwell on it any further. What I am thinking about and looking forward to is my future career. I have some plans for the future to take my cricket forward and to enjoy whatever time is left for me in the game. That is all I am looking at and the past is of no interest to me. There is no doubt about the fact that the time I was away from cricket was a very tough time not just for me but also for my family, but it’s over now and I am focussed on what is ahead of me rather than the past.

PakPassion.net: Did it bother you when Mohammad Hafeez publicly expressed his opposition to the return of banned cricketers?

Sharjeel Khan:
    Since my return to cricket when I played in PSL 5, my concentration and focus has been on ensuring that I put in good performances. I am not one to watch television or worry about what is said on social media, so I was not aware if something like this was said about me. Obviously, everyone has their own opinions and frankly speaking, all that does not bother me.

PakPassion.net: Were you accepted by other players when you returned to cricket during PSL 5?

Sharjeel Khan:
    I am very pleased to say that there was no problem of acceptance, and I was given a lot of encouragement and support by Karachi Kings. In particular Wasim Akram, the Late Dean Jones and our captain Imad Wasim, who I have been playing alongside since our Under-19 days, all went out of their way to support me. I was also very happy with my comeback on the field and pleased about the welcome I received from the whole Karachi team and the fans as well.

PakPassion.net: How difficult was it to make a comeback into professional cricket after not playing any games for a while?

Sharjeel Khan:
    To make a comeback at any stage of your career is always difficult. This can even be the case for players who have been playing regularly and find themselves excluded from the team for whatever reason, and then have to make a comeback to the side. But, in my case, I had a lot of trust and faith in my abilities and I knew that I had performed well in the past and had the skills to repeat those performances. I was also lucky to be able to get some good training time before the start of PSL 5 and that translated into good performances once the tournament started.

PakPassion.net: How difficult was it to deal with the loss of Dean Jones who was a great supporter for your return to cricket?

Sharjeel Khan:
    This was a loss not for just me but for the game of cricket as Dean Jones’ contributions to cricket were well-known and recognized as well. On a personal level, I saw first-hand the human side of Dean Jones and his kindness will be missed by all. My association with Deano goes back to the first edition of PSL when I was playing for Islamabad United and he was our coach at that time. He was a great admirer of my batting and I for one was lucky to have learnt a lot from him about batting and cricket in general. He gave me valuable advice about on-the-field and off-the-field matters and to me, Deano’s loss was a huge setback and as it obviously was for the game of cricket.

PakPassion.net: You seem to have had mixed fortunes with the bat after your return to the game?

Sharjeel Khan:
    Obviously, as this is my first year after my comeback so some ups and downs are expected. I don’t feel that my form is that bad but as always, there is always room for improvement. My performances in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy have given me a lot of confidence. My intention is to carry on doing well and continue to be amongst the top scoring openers in this tournament. At the moment, I have 634 runs in 7 games and am averaging over 48 in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and hopefully this run of good form will continue for me in the remainder of the tournament.

PakPassion.net: Have you had to make changes to your batting style in recent times or are you continuing with the old approach?

Sharjeel Khan:
    I have the same approach to my batting that I had before, which brought me success in international cricket as well. I have been playing with a positive intent in T20 games which is very satisfying for me. I suppose attacking cricket is a core part of my game and it’s in my nature and to play in a defensive mode is not possible for me. As a naturally aggressive stroke player, I have always played attacking cricket and will continue to do so. Of course, the absence from the professional game for three years does take its toll and it does take time to improve and get back into form. But I feel that I have improved a lot as a cricketer since my comeback at the beginning of the year and am feeling very comfortable whilst batting. So, things are looking good for me and I am looking forward to the Pakistan One-Day Cup and I hope to continue improving further in the future.

PakPassion.net: Is a lack of fitness a concern for you, given that you have resumed playing after a long gap?

Sharjeel Khan:
    That is true but let me also say that even during the time I wasn’t playing cricket, I would look for opportunities to train and maintain my fitness which is something I am still doing after my comeback. I have been given fitness plans by my domestic coaches and also by PSL staff and I am glad to say that I am following them to the letter, and my fitness is improving day by day.

PakPassion.net: How far is a return to international cricket for you?

Sharjeel Khan:
    Every professional cricketer hopes to play for his country, and I am no different. Having experienced the feeling of representing Pakistan, I can safely say that there is no other feeling that matches the pride of the moment when you step on the field for your country. Of course, it’s in my mind to do whatever I can to make a comeback for Pakistan but at this time, my focus is to do well in domestic cricket. If I can perform well in domestic cricket, then hopefully that will open doors for an international return at some point in the future.

PakPassion.net: Were you a little disappointed after being overlooked for Pakistan’s tour of New Zealand?

Sharjeel Khan:
    Absolutely not, as I was happy that I got a chance to play in domestic cricket which would allow me to regain my form, and to improve my fitness. To not be named in the touring squad for New Zealand was not a worry for me as I am convinced that with the Almighty’s help, I will have plenty of opportunities to play cricket in the future. My aim at the moment is to take things one step at a time, to perform well in domestic cricket and continue improving in all aspects of the game, and then make a comeback for Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: Given that you are 31 now, are you concerned that your international opportunities may be limited in future?

Sharjeel Khan:
    I am not in the habit of thinking too far ahead as immediate goals interest me more. In fact, I don’t even think about the past – it’s the present and what I can do now to help my career is what I think about. Yes I am 31 now and most importantly, I am enjoying my cricket with an eye to making a comeback to the Pakistan side. But for that to happen, I will need to perform exceptionally well in domestic cricket which is all I am focussed on doing.

PakPassion.net: What are your impressions of the new domestic structure introduced by the PCB?

Sharjeel Khan:
    This is my first season after the changes were made to the domestic structure and I am very impressed by this new environment. There is a feeling of a new energy being introduced in our cricket due to this, and I am feeling very excited to be part of this change. The fact that there are now just 6 teams involving top quality players means that the level of competition is that much higher and it’s a challenging environment. Above all, we are all enjoying this type of cricket and most importantly, a lot of highly talented youngsters have also emerged. The quality of competition is far superior to what it was and I am sure the matches are very exciting for all those who are following the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy this year.

PakPassion.net: Whilst you don’t want to think too far ahead, what are your short-term goals?

Sharjeel Khan:
    At the moment, I am looking to continue performing well in the remaining games of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and after that I am aiming to do my best in the Pakistan One-Day Cup. Once these tournaments are over, my attention will turn to next year’s PSL and to do my best in that competition as well. Of course, the two T20 World Cups in 2021 and 2022 are also on my horizon and my performances in the PSL will hopefully go a long way in putting me in contention for these tournaments.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Still one of the cleanest hitters in the country, and he's been the best opener by a mile in the QEA Trophy, significantly outscoring the hyped youngsters like Zaryab and bin Yousuf.

If Sharjeel passes a fitness test, he has to be on the plane for the T20 World Cup.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s a must if we have any chance of winning a T20 world cup.

First 6 overs of Sharjeel will be devastating.

Wish him all the best.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he can pass fitness tests then he should be part of the t20 squad

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Still one of the cleanest hitters in the country, and he's been the best opener by a mile in the QEA Trophy, significantly outscoring the hyped youngsters like Zaryab and bin Yousuf.

If Sharjeel passes a fitness test, he has to be on the plane for the T20 World Cup.
    His fitness score was 17 (marginally below 17.4 our cut-off, but above Indian cut-off) several months back, and he seems to be continuously working on it. I am sure he'd pass a fitness test in next round.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel
    Hafeez
    Babar
    Umar Akmal
    Iftikhar
    Amir

Our only HOPE for World T20.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the fixer doesn't represent Pakistan again. But obviously due to us having a lack of options and him performing in domestic cricket, looks like he will be back. Which is setting a ridiculous precedent. That it is fine to fix games because you can still represent Pakistan in the future.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Hopefully the fixer doesn't represent Pakistan again. But obviously due to us having a lack of options and him performing in domestic cricket, looks like he will be back. Which is setting a ridiculous precedent. That it is fine to fix games because you can still represent Pakistan in the future.
    That precedent was set with Wasim Akram and Mohammad Amir. Since PCB didn't hand out a life ban, and he's served his sentence then he has to be judged on performance and fitness like everyone else.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That precedent was set with Wasim Akram and Mohammad Amir. Since PCB didn't hand out a life ban, and he's served his sentence then he has to be judged on performance and fitness like everyone else.
    Well you can change that now by not selecting this fixer. Fixing aside, he doesn't even understand how to stay in shape. That's enough of a reason not to select him.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Sharjeel
    Hafeez
    Babar
    Umar Akmal
    Iftikhar
    Amir

Our only HOPE for World T20.
    All rotten eggs except hafeez and babar

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny_majoka View Post
    All rotten eggs except hafeez and babar
    Okay, I trust you.

Now enlighten us with your thoughts. Who are the replacements that can play well in T20s and hit big vs pacers in Aus?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Well you can change that now by not selecting this fixer. Fixing aside, he doesn't even understand how to stay in shape. That's enough of a reason not to select him.
    Well he doesn't claim to be the fittest cricketer in the world and his response is an honest one:

PakPassion.net: Is a lack of fitness a concern for you, given that you have resumed playing after a long gap?

Sharjeel Khan: That is true but let me also say that even during the time I wasn’t playing cricket, I would look for opportunities to train and maintain my fitness which is something I am still doing after my comeback. I have been given fitness plans by my domestic coaches and also by PSL staff and I am glad to say that I am following them to the letter, and my fitness is improving day by day.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then we should not select haris and imad am sure they missed fitness tests before and were allowed to play

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Then we should not select haris and imad am sure they missed fitness tests before and were allowed to play
    Haris and Imad fitness isn't as bad as Sharjeel. The reason I wouldn't select Sharjeel is due to the fixing not because of his fitness anyway.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Well he doesn't claim to be the fittest cricketer in the world and his response is an honest one:

Sharjeel Khan: That is true but let me also say that even during the time I wasn’t playing cricket, I would look for opportunities to train and maintain my fitness which is something I am still doing after my comeback. I have been given fitness plans by my domestic coaches and also by PSL staff and I am glad to say that I am following them to the letter, and my fitness is improving day by day.
    Well I wouldn't select him due to the fixing anyway. And when it comes to fitness advice, I wouldn't trust those domestic coaches.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Well I wouldn't select him due to the fixing anyway. And when it comes to fitness advice, I wouldn't trust those domestic coaches.
    Regarding fixing, he's served his time. He still maintains that he is innocent by the way.

Regarding the fitness tests accuracy, well that can be said about any other player too.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Too many players seem to be serving their time after cheating and getting back in.

Its as if they know, lets go ahead and do it, we'll sail through the 'rola-shola' then
    welcomed with open arms. Shameless.

Its come to the point, where even the fans dont care...'served his time' taken too lightly. In fact, you're not worth your salt if you're not cheated these days.

Ever heard about a player (s) who thinks the world owes him (still) when he was given the benefit of the doubt, welcomed back with garlands, now half spent, half hearted, still blames those who were there for him.

As for Pak fans, we're desperate souls anyway, ...even an overweight slog machine with a conviction for cheating will go ahead in our desperate fantasy league formations.

Sher ki ek din ke zindagi ...geedhar ki sau sala zindagi se behtar hai.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are desperate. He was rubbish in the PSL and in the National T20 cup but he is performing well now in the QEA trophy. I think if he has a good PSL he will be back in the Pakistan team.
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th December 2020 at 20:58.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    We are desperate. He was rubbish in the PSL and in the National T20 cup but he is performing well now in the QEA trophy. I think if he has a good PSL he will be back in the Pakistan team.
    I don’t think he is a solution for Pakistan batting issues. He has very poor technique and skills in batting. Just a minnow basher at the most. I do not see him scoring anything in SENA countries opening the batting
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th December 2020 at 20:58.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel’s game really developed under Mickey and Grant. He was playing a lot squarer, both on the off and leg side. Which shows he was waiting for the ball. Upon his return, he hits the ball more towards cover and midwicket which looks more hack-ish. I really don’t think the misbah, younis, Waqar combo is going to maximize the potential this guys has. Just in terms of ability, Sharjeel is more gifted than Babar. But it may be too late to make a champion out of him. Thanks to own his stupidness btw!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Highlights of his batting during QeA20

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scored a quick-fire 108 today in the Pak Cup tournament against Northern today.

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video of his hundred

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If only this guy wasn’t a liability in the field, he’s worth a look in.

The hunt for our T20 opener continues...

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's the bowler with the Malinga style action?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    He's gotta play vs South Africa in T20s if he passes a fitness test. Period.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From PCB report:

Sindh opener Sharjeel Khan hit a blazing hundred in his side’s win over Northern.

Sharjeel Khan (player-of-the-match) smashed his way to a brilliant 108 off 74 balls as Sindh made light work of the chase. The left-handed opener posted the eight century of his List A career, striking 13 fours and five sixes against the hapless Northern bowlers.

Sharjeel added 160 runs for the first-wicket with Khurram Manzoor who scored 52 off 59 balls with the help of five fours. Sindh lost three quick wickets after the opening stand but the openers had done enough to ensure there were no serious hiccups as the chase was completed in 28.1 overs.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's gotta play vs South Africa in T20s if he passes a fitness test. Period.
    I think even if he does pass, we have to consider whether his fielding has improved. I mean this in general - I don’t think the yoyo test or whatever other metric they use these days tells us anything about someone’s agility on the field and ability to stop boundaries or take catches.

In my experience, Sharjeel Khan is more of a Haris Rauf than a Fakhar Zaman.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian_cricket_fan View Post
    I don’t think he is a solution for Pakistan batting issues. He has very poor technique and skills in batting. Just a minnow basher at the most. I do not see him scoring anything in SENA countries opening the batting
    ??? He did well in England and scored 3 fifty plus scored last time in Australia.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post

He is good enough for Pakistan in LOIs considering our options. I am sure M Wasim will select him for T20s if he keeps scoring like this in domestics.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guldozer View Post
    Who's the bowler with the Malinga style action?
    Salman Irshad

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

He is actually a very good catcher, I have never seen him ever drop any catch that has come his way regardless of how he looks but obviously he is very slow to move around in the field

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People still asking for this guy to be in the team lol ��

It isn't like he's set the world on fire since his comeback either

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoyoAli View Post

Video of his hundred
    Almost inzaman like , look at the shots

Should have been picked in the squad , imran butt , shafique ahead of him is criminal.

Should never off have been banned

Talent was always there knew it when downunder he scored 3 consecutive half centuries in odi cricket against australia .

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be back in the team without a doubt. We’re not brimming with great or quick fielders anyway.

When we have a world class fielding unit (probably never) then we can start getting selective on players’ fielding skills.

He gives more with the bat than our best fielder will save in the field.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Some lovely shots during his recent century in the Pakistan Cup.

Always looks at his best when those straight shots are being played rather than cross-batted hoiks.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If he keep scoring runs and improves fitness then hes a better option then fakhar in T20s and a better option then imam/abid in odis.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    strong on both sides

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Don't know why this guy can't get super fit. Maybe its just not meant too

Nasir Jamshaid batted the worse when he got into very good shape

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only Fakhar can come back in form, we can have him and Fakhar open the batting in T20s followed by Babar and Hafeez. That would be a good top 4 and then we can have our bits and pieces cricketers such as Shadab, Faheem, Imad and Rizwan ... followed by the bowlers ... Hassan, Shaheen and Hasnain/Haris.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may set the domestic circuit on fire, but with such fitness levels don't think him and Azam Khan will click at international level.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBallZombie View Post
    If only Fakhar can come back in form, we can have him and Fakhar open the batting in T20s followed by Babar and Hafeez. That would be a good top 4 and then we can have our bits and pieces cricketers such as Shadab, Faheem, Imad and Rizwan ... followed by the bowlers ... Hassan, Shaheen and Hasnain/Haris.
    Fakhar Zaman is finished. Don't think we should expect a comeback from him.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Fakhar Zaman is finished. Don't think we should expect a comeback from him.
    How so?

He's done well in the domestic games.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBallZombie View Post
    That looks like a team to beat

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I'd give him a go against South Africa's second string - no harm really.

In terms of his fitness, I don't think he will ever have a six-pack and be Jonty Rhodes in the field.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

In terms of his fitness, I don't think he will ever have a six-pack and be Jonty Rhodes in the field.
    His fielding will cost us. He isn't a consistent enough player to make up for it. It's also about setting standards of minimum fitness to play for Pakistan. Our neighbours did it a long time back with zero compromises and look where it's taken them in all departments of the game

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    His fielding will cost us.
    You could say that about most of our players at the moment.

We hardly have any good fielders to be honest. In fact, most are well below average.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't deserve a call up. He is way too inconsistent at the domestic level. Followed his century with a golden duck. He needs to get a string of 50 + scores. The door definitely isn't shut for him, but he doesn't look to be improving in terms of consistency. If he starts to bat more consistently he deserves a call up. I hope he is working on his fitness and fielding in the mean time.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You could say that about most of our players at the moment.

We hardly have any good fielders to be honest. In fact, most are well below average.
    That isn’t true. The alternative opener option, Fakhar Zaman, is a gun fielder.

The question is, what is the differential between the two fielders in terms of runs conceded per innings? If you do the math, you’ll see that Sharjeel would have to consistently score 20 runs more than Fakhar Zaman per game to be considered equal in terms of value to the team.

Not to oversimplify, but deduct another 5 runs for compromising the moral integrity of the team, since that affects team spirit.

If Fakhar continues his downward trend and Sharjeel continues upward, I don’t disagree that Sharjeel should be given the go. For now, though, Sharjeel will still need to prove himself in PSL 6.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    That isn’t true
    Name the very good fielders Pakistan has at the moment then.

Even if you scratch around, there won't be many.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Name the very good fielders Pakistan has at the moment then.

Even if you scratch around, there won't be many.
    Babar, Shadab, Fakhar, Imam, Hassan, and Faheem are all top notch. The rest, you’re right, are very mediocre to put it lightly.

But that doesn’t mean we should hold Sharjeel to a lower standard.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lazy...just plain lazy...!

I can never understand, how players with the cricketing ability worth dying for, can ever underestimate the value of physical fitness.

I mean, all it requires is a bit of restraint on your diet and the motivation to carry out the drills to achieve the required level of fitness; seriously guys, how can you not do it if those are the only barriers to you doing well for your country.

....and perhaps "eat less, cr@p more...!?"

Most of us would burn the house down to get fit to play for our country, however would naturally fail on skills set...but not for trying.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this. In regards to his fielding, as long as he can catch and has a decent throw, that will do for me.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    No, you never were and never will be good enough.

The idea that he was on the right path under Mickey and would have moved mountains if it wasn’t for him getting “framed” by Sethi is just a delusional opinion by the most delusional fan base in the world.

A poor batsman with embarrassing fitness levels.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What's his real age? Might be a little too unfit and a little too old to make a comeback now

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you make of his decision to ditch the remainder of the OD cup for t10 league cricket?

Seems like a short-sighted decision if an international recall seemed possible.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    What do you make of his decision to ditch the remainder of the OD cup for t10 league cricket?

Seems like a short-sighted decision if an international recall seemed possible.
    Well this is the problem PCB faces - players are getting more money in these leagues compared to domestic.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    No, you never were and never will be good enough.

The idea that he was on the right path under Mickey and would have moved mountains if it wasn’t for him getting “framed” by Sethi is just a delusional opinion by the most delusional fan base in the world.

A poor batsman with embarrassing fitness levels.
    He was not framed by Sethi. He was just plain stupid and also has a shady past which was obvious when he released the video saying he’s being blackmailed by “fake videos”. That said, the guy can play fast bowling and even after his horrendous fitness levels, a quick 40-60 runs from him is far better in today’s environment than any thing the likes of Abid Ali, Shan Masood, Ahmed Shehzad, Fakhar Zaman, Azhar Ali, or anyone else in Pakistan cricket can deliver at the moment.

We did see massive improvement in his shot selection after working with Mickey and Grant compared to the games he played under then head coach Waqar. This was obvious in the England and Australia tour. Which I agree isn’t a large sample set but it was still far better than any other opener we’ve had since 2010. He may not be a Rohit Sharma or a Warner but by our standards he’s better than the rest of railu katta openers.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this is the problem PCB faces - players are getting more money in these leagues compared to domestic.
    The PCB doesn't have to give NOC's though. A policy which simply states no league cricket is permissible during domestic competitions should solve this i'd imagine, unless there's something i'm not aware of.

As for Sharjeel and Azam, i'd hope it's the case that if they'd rather play leagues than domestics then there's no avenue into the national side this way.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    The PCB doesn't have to give NOC's though. A policy which simply states no league cricket is permissible during domestic competitions should solve this i'd imagine, unless there's something i'm not aware of.

As for Sharjeel and Azam, i'd hope it's the case that if they'd rather play leagues than domestics then there's no avenue into the national side this way.
    I think it’s possible to strike a middle ground. Ban all forms of T10 cricket unless you are retired from Pakistan cricket.

Approve NOCs only to approved T20 leagues such as BBL, CPL, Hundred, Mzansi, and LPL and a cap of only 2 leagues per year other than PSL.

Players will not be allowed to participate in Vitality Blast, BPL, Canada Global T20, and US Open (and no T10 leagues).

If you are a centrally contracted cricketer, instead of a cap of 2, it reduces to only 1 league per year other than PSL.

Finally, you can do up to 2 leagues, but you are allowed 0 during Pakistan’s first class season.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it’s possible to strike a middle ground. Ban all forms of T10 cricket unless you are retired from Pakistan cricket.

Approve NOCs only to approved T20 leagues such as BBL, CPL, Hundred, Mzansi, and LPL and a cap of only 2 leagues per year other than PSL.

Players will not be allowed to participate in Vitality Blast, BPL, Canada Global T20, and US Open (and no T10 leagues).

If you are a centrally contracted cricketer, instead of a cap of 2, it reduces to only 1 league per year other than PSL.

Finally, you can do up to 2 leagues, but you are allowed 0 during Pakistan’s first class season.
    CPL and Vitality Blast are played during the time no domestic cricket in Pak takes place. Msanzi league probably as well. It's only BPL and Big Bash that is usually played during our domestic season. LPL will probably get moved as well in the upcoming years. T10 league is just a 10-12 day tournament, which won't really come in the way most of the times. This year due to covid protocols, it would be different.

Don't think we would gain much by putting restrictions on playing foreign t20 leagues apart from depriving guys(esp the domestic ones) of some good money.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    CPL and Vitality Blast are played during the time no domestic cricket in Pak takes place. Msanzi league probably as well. It's only BPL and Big Bash that is usually played during our domestic season. LPL will probably get moved as well in the upcoming years. T10 league is just a 10-12 day tournament, which won't really come in the way most of the times. This year due to covid protocols, it would be different.

Don't think we would gain much by putting restrictions on playing foreign t20 leagues apart from depriving guys(esp the domestic ones) of some good money.
    T10 should be restricted because it impedes development. Even less development than T20.

Azam Khan should be playing List A not T10

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    T10 should be restricted because it impedes development. Even less development than T20.

Azam Khan should be playing List A not T10
    I am saying how much will a 10 day tournament harm the player? If the tournament is involved in suspicious stuff, then sure, otherwise a 10 day tournament from 365 days a year isn't really much.

Ideally Azam Khan should be playing FC but he isn't.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    I am saying how much will a 10 day tournament harm the player? If the tournament is involved in suspicious stuff, then sure, otherwise a 10 day tournament from 365 days a year isn't really much.

Ideally Azam Khan should be playing FC but he isn't.
    A lot actually. During these 10 days, Azam will miss 4 one day games. We only have 10 one day games in the entire year anyways, so if he does this every year, then he will only play about 10-12 more one day games across 2 seasons between now and the 2023 world cup when he should be in contention for the world cup squad.

Think about that for a second.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot actually. During these 10 days, Azam will miss 4 one day games. We only have 10 one day games in the entire year anyways, so if he does this every year, then he will only play about 10-12 more one day games across 2 seasons between now and the 2023 world cup when he should be in contention for the world cup squad.

Think about that for a second.
    I was excluding this year. Because of everything being shuffled around and covid protocols.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Guys stay on topic please.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Scored 40 today in Qalandars win in the T10 League - wise move to have left Sindh before the Semi-Finals stage of the Pakistan Cup?
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th January 2021 at 21:41.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not just him others left too but i wouldnt have gone for sure. He could have been selected for 2020 squad which i doubt he would have now.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he doesn't get picked it'll be Pakistan's loss, not Sharjeel's.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alhamdulillah. Corrupted player been ignored again.
    Pakistan is finally heading towards a corruption free direction.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omer2002 View Post
    Its not just him others left too but i wouldnt have gone for sure. He could have been selected for 2020 squad which i doubt he would have now.
    stil got plenty of t20s scheduled over the next 6 months

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bilawal666 View Post
    If he doesn't get picked it'll be Pakistan's loss, not Sharjeel's.
    I think he needs to improve his fitness even if its just t20 got to set the bench mark

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's making runs, he's making them quick and is decent at fielding. Yes he's not the fittest but neither was Inzamam. This is another Fawad Alam type scenario in the making...He'll eventually be picked, wreak havoc and then everyone will say that it should've been done sooner.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Lahore: Chief Selector Mohammad Wasim has revealed that few benchmarks have been set for hard-hitters Azam Khan and Sharjeel Khan in order to get selected in Pakistan team.

Wasim, while announcing the squad for the three-match T20I series against South Africa, said they have given some plans to both of them and if the duo can achieve in the upcoming Pakistan Super League (PSL) or after that, they will be considered for the selection.

“There is no doubt on their batting skills as they are the best hitters in the country currently. We are keeping a close eye on them and have set few benchmarks. They are definitely in our plans,” Wasim said.

“If they achieve the given benchmarks during the PSL and further, definitely they will be considered for selection,” he added.

Note, Azam has emerged as one of the cleanest hitters recently while Sharjeel has been playing all forms of domestic cricket.

When Misbah-ul-Haq was the chief selector, he emphasized that if Sharjeel wants to make a comeback, he must work on fitness for the selection.

https://arysports.tv/wasim-reveals-r...tion-sa-t20is/

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I've asked Sharjeel what the targets are that he has been set.

No reply yet. Hope he got the memo.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    So the same as Azam Khan, the targets for Sharjeel are not just fitness, but also fielding related.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    On Shahid Afridi's FB:

He is walking on the beach with Sohail Tanvir, Sharjeel and he makes Sharjeel promise to shed weight

Sharjeel says:

"Shahid Bhai has given me tips and after PSL you will see a different Sharjeel"

Afridi says

"If Sharjeel wants to play cricket, he should reduce 8kgs of weight and I have also told him to shift to Karachi from Hyderabad"
    Last edited by Saj; 2nd February 2021 at 21:09.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hit the winning runs for qalandars

Took Jamie overton a good county bowler to the cleaners

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lala making sure Sharjeel hasnt gone on vacation mode in Abu Dhabi lol.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These corrupt and dodgy individuals have no place in the side.