User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Eureka moment for Justin Langer! Believes that IPL cause for injuries to Indian & Australian players

Australia coach Justin Langer on Wednesday questioned the timing of the last year’s Indian Premier League, which he believes could have been a contributing factor in the injury setbacks that both his and the Indian team have endured in the ongoing Test series.

The IPL was held in the September-November window in 2020 in the United Arab Emirates due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The lucrative tournament is usually held in India during the April-May window.

“It is really interesting how many injuries [there have] been throughout this summer. I can’t help and think that the IPL this year (2020) was in really, probably wasn’t ideal timing for anyone, certainly for such a big series like this,” Langer said at a virtual press conference.

The latest addition to the Indian injury list is Ravindra Jadeja, who was hit on his thumb, and pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah, who has been ruled out of the last Test following an abdominal strain. Earlier, K. L. Rahul, Mohammed Shami and Umesh Yadav were ruled out of the series due to the various injuries they suffered.

For Australia, David Warner was a big blow but he recovered in time for the last two Tests.

Langer was all praise for the IPL, however, saying it helps in development of young players.

“I love the IPL. I look at IPL now like I used to look at county cricket for our young players. They go and play county cricket and it helps them [in] their cricket development enormously, I think it is the same with the IPL, helps their white-ball development.

“But the timing of it...because of what happened with COVID...probably wasn’t ideal, and I just wonder whether that is having an impact on the injuries that we are seeing for both teams throughout the summer, so I’m sure they’ll review that,” said the Australian head coach.

Asked how much the absence of the Bumrah-Jadeja duo will impact the contest, he said, “Hopefully, it (absence of Bumrah and Jadeja) impacts it (the contest) a lot. But I have said this is going to be the survival of the fittest this summer.”

“And I have said when I was asked at the start of the summer about Virat (Kohli) not being here...if you are taking your best players out of any team, whether it is our team or our opponent, it is going to have an impact or it is potentially going to have an impact,” he said.

But Langer would rather focus on his team’s resources than worry about how India would put together their playing XI in the fourth Test starting January 15 here. “Test cricket, like I keep saying survival of the fittest, and we can’t concentrate on what India are doing, we just concentrate on (what) we are doing to make sure that we are up for the contest,” he signed off.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le33564756.ece
    The four-Test match series is currently tied at 1-1.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Misbah and Ashwin said, the long breaks due to covid have been bad for sub-continent players.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with him here. Australia can only beat the team in front of them. If they win the last test - I will be surprised if they do not, it will still be a memorable victory for them regardless of how many players India is missing.

But Langer would rather focus on his team’s resources than worry about how India would put together their playing XI in the fourth Test starting January 15 here. “Test cricket, like I keep saying survival of the fittest, and we can’t concentrate on what India are doing, we just concentrate on (what) we are doing to make sure that we are up for the contest,” he signed off.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    796 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Langer said what I have been saying for the last few months here.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 3rd test match even though was a draw, India won it for me. Aussies aren't that great Test side they once were. It's between India, Kiwis and England now.

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Was going to tag you here

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    523 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What a revelation, crazy eyes Justin.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful_Rox View Post
    The 3rd test match even though was a draw, India won it for me. Aussies aren't that great Test side they once were. It's between India, Kiwis and England now.
    What has England done to be better than Australia. Australia retained the Ashes 2-2 in England 18 months ago. Even there, Australia could've easily won if not for a once in a lifetime innings and an umpiring error. Australia also decimated Kiwis just a year ago.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the IPL. I look at IPL now like I used to look at county cricket for our young players. They go and play county cricket and it helps them [in] their cricket development enormously, I think it is the same with the IPL, helps their white-ball development.

This is a huge praise...kinda proves the point that IPL is Gold Standard of cricket.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually there are lot of scientific articles on covid time training injuries, with India again into hard lockdown (which most posters here mocked) , I expect atleast two more players to be injured.

https://healthmatters.nyp.org/why-at...-prevent-them/

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Australia coach Justin Langer on Wednesday questioned the timing of the last yearÂ’s Indian Premier League, which he believes could have been a contributing factor in the injury setbacks that both his and the Indian team have endured in the ongoing Test series.

The IPL was held in the September-November window in 2020 in the United Arab Emirates due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The lucrative tournament is usually held in India during the April-May window.

“It is really interesting how many injuries [there have] been throughout this summer. I can’t help and think that the IPL this year (2020) was in really, probably wasn’t ideal timing for anyone, certainly for such a big series like this,” Langer said at a virtual press conference.

The latest addition to the Indian injury list is Ravindra Jadeja, who was hit on his thumb, and pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah, who has been ruled out of the last Test following an abdominal strain. Earlier, K. L. Rahul, Mohammed Shami and Umesh Yadav were ruled out of the series due to the various injuries they suffered.

For Australia, David Warner was a big blow but he recovered in time for the last two Tests.

Langer was all praise for the IPL, however, saying it helps in development of young players.

“I love the IPL. I look at IPL now like I used to look at county cricket for our young players. They go and play county cricket and it helps them [in] their cricket development enormously, I think it is the same with the IPL, helps their white-ball development.

“But the timing of it...because of what happened with COVID...probably wasn’t ideal, and I just wonder whether that is having an impact on the injuries that we are seeing for both teams throughout the summer, so I’m sure they’ll review that,” said the Australian head coach.

Asked how much the absence of the Bumrah-Jadeja duo will impact the contest, he said, “Hopefully, it (absence of Bumrah and Jadeja) impacts it (the contest) a lot. But I have said this is going to be the survival of the fittest this summer.”

“And I have said when I was asked at the start of the summer about Virat (Kohli) not being here...if you are taking your best players out of any team, whether it is our team or our opponent, it is going to have an impact or it is potentially going to have an impact,” he said.

Hmm, he's stated the obvious on certain points. However, its important to see what is the type of injury. Ravindra Jadeja getting hit on the thumb in the middle of a test match or someone twinging their hamstring muscle whilst trying to run or will pocovski hurting his shoulder whilst diving on the outfield is nothing to do with the IPL. Where the timing of IPL is a concern is an Ishant sharma with his injyry, a Jazz-boom with his abdominal strain or anything that is a degenerative because of over use. Just piling on your miseries on the IPL looks to be the easy way out.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fractures due to IPL ? Not sure what JL means.

KL Rahul, Shami, Jadeja, Mayank Agarwal had fractures/sprains either in the nets or in the match.
    Umesh had a calf issue: He has not played all the games in IPL and bowlers have calf problems in Australia, because of the hard surface. Not sure how relevant is IPL here.
    Bumrah: Bumrah has played all the IPL games, ODI and 3 tests. in the 3 tests, he has bowled the maximum number of balls. I would blame the workload, instead of IPL.
    Ishant & Rohit Sharma were injured in the IPL.
    IMO only casualties(so to speak) from IPL were Ishant and Rohit Sharma, of which Rohit could have been handled better.
    Maybe JL could have backed his statement with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Australia coach Justin Langer on Wednesday questioned the timing of the last year’s Indian Premier League, which he believes could have been a contributing factor in the injury setbacks that both his and the Indian team have endured in the ongoing Test series.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Actually there are lot of scientific articles on covid time training injuries, with India again into hard lockdown (which most posters here mocked) , I expect atleast two more players to be injured.

https://healthmatters.nyp.org/why-at...-prevent-them/
    The science will not fit the agenda of bagging IPL right. People are jealous of missing million dollar pay days for there players.
    So the only coping mechanism is, if I cannot get something, it is bad and must be discontinued. Sour grapes.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about you pay the players their IPl purse? maybe they will quit Ipl then.

we all know ipl is hindering our test results like it happened vs n.z early this year. However, players dont seem to care. So there is nothing we can do about it.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop blaming IPL. IPL is mega entertainment.

Because of injuries we will be able to test the bench strength. Lots of positives.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadejagoat View Post

we all know ipl is hindering our test results like it happened vs n.z early this year. However, players dont seem to care. So there is nothing we can do about it.
    And the reason IPL pays millions is... the public loves it!

I agree with you. Players want to be financially well off, the public wants to see them play in the IPL, so the IPL isn't going anywhere and the rest of the world will have to deal with it.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody is putting a gun to the head of any of these players. They play because they want to make money. Rather than blaming the IPL Langer should be blaming the players and their greed.

They knew full well that they had an important home summer coming up. And nobody takes test cricket more seriously than the English and the Australians, which begs the question why Langer couldn't have asked these questions back in September, instead of now when Australia aren't winning 3-0 like they expected.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    796 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    And the reason IPL pays millions is... the public loves it!

I agree with you. Players want to be financially well off, the public wants to see them play in the IPL, so the IPL isn't going anywhere and the rest of the world will have to deal with it.
    And the same public gives excuses of players missing, not playing full strength against top teams which is basically the topic of this thread. This same public is the one that has to deal with players getting injured before and during tours because of IPL burnout then.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And the same public gives excuses of players missing, not playing full strength against top teams which is basically the topic of this thread. This same public is the one that has to deal with players getting injured before and during tours because of IPL burnout then.
    Seems like you are saying the public needs to get smarter.

I think if the public really cared as much for Test cricket and as little for the IPL as you do, they would stop watching IPL.

Btw, not sure what your name means, but it is very cool

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It has not dawned upon JL that IPL matters more than some bilateral series. Even a series against his high strung unit. And rightfully so.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    796 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadejagoat View Post

Oh same old **. At least understand the context of the thread before asking stupid questions. BCCI is the one that has to manage the workload and financial aspect of national players before every important tour. Ishant got injured before Australia tour. I kept saying this during IPL that at least bowlers should skip IPL before Aus tour but IPL fans were calling me jealous and what not. When the Australian tour started these same fans were giving excuses of Ishant missing lol. Next IPL is 3 months away. What a joke.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    796 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Seems like you are saying the public needs to get smarter.

I think if the public really cared as much for Test cricket and as little for the IPL as you do, they would stop watching IPL.

Btw, not sure what your name means, but it is very cool
    Lol it is pretty clear how much public loves test cricket in India. I mean just look at this series for example. I can bet these IPL fans don't even remember who won the last 5 IPLs but they will remember this series for a long long time. Not everybody is a dedicated pyjama league fan like you here.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no fan of IPL but to put all the blame for injuries on IPL is a bit much.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1837 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Langer trying his mind games again. Not that many in India will give it much importance.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol it is pretty clear how much public loves test cricket in India. I mean just look at this series for example. I can bet these IPL fans don't even remember who won the last 5 IPLs but they will remember this series for a long long time. Not everybody is a dedicated pyjama league fan like you here.
    Omg this was savage!
    I mean this series was SO much more important IPL ever was/will be

I as a neutral fan don't care about IPL or it's winners

But this series I am regularly watching/following the games
    and the kind of respect this series generated/generating for ICT is NOTHING in comparison to two tuchi teams trying to win a damn t20 cup (in a calendar filled with franchise t20 cricket)

And I am pretty sure indian fans aren't stupid enough to even put the two at same level let alone caring about IPL more than this series

If they're than
    Last edited by MenInG; 14th January 2021 at 13:35.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    What has England done to be better than Australia. Australia retained the Ashes 2-2 in England 18 months ago. Even there, Australia could've easily won if not for a once in a lifetime innings and an umpiring error. Australia also decimated Kiwis just a year ago.
    Then India is number 1 as Aussies are having a hard time with India's half the side missing. India is Australia of 2000

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1837 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightarmfast View Post
    In all honesty, Bumrah is a clear case of over playing and we can blame IPL for that. Not sure about KL Rahul. I am personally not a fan of IPL and I seriously think IPL could have been avoided before AUssie tour. But this is taking things too far. A lot of injuries have come while playing.
    Bumrah didnt play a match for more than six months, before he played the IPL. Isnt that enough rest?

He was also rested during the Australian T20 series.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Bumrah didnt play a match for more than six months, before he played the IPL. Isnt that enough rest?

He was also rested during the Australian T20 series.
    Not playing for so many months in the lockdown, and then being a part of such a lengthy IPL tourney can be taxing. Both physically and mentally. Bumrah is paying the price.
    Test cricket must always be given priority over IPL.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Saini now - and the list goes on and on.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Langer today....

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightarmfast View Post
    Not playing for so many months in the lockdown, and then being a part of such a lengthy IPL tourney can be taxing. Both physically and mentally. Bumrah is paying the price.
    Test cricket must always be given priority over IPL.
    Test series is even more lengthy for a bowler in terms of bowling/fielding. I refuse to believe that bowling 4 over/March for 14 or so match will make a player vulnerable to injuries but same player will be fine playing 4 test match(20 playing days of 90overs each), ODIs and T20Is in same timeframe will be fine? Bumrah have been playing all format for last 3+ years but hardly ever had any injuries. We are seeing lot of players getting injured is mostly due to lack of any cricket for 6+months.

I haven’t done proper workout for almost a year, and once I hit the gym, I can’t expect me to go full throttle like I did in 2019. I’m not in same shape as I was before lockdown. Cricketers are having same issue. Not having any match practise for so long have made them vulnerable to breakdown. People are just easily blaming IPL for injuries but completely ignoring the fact that fitness is directly related to daily activities and staying match fit every single day.