"Mohammad Amir is still one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers" : Mickey Arthur


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,756
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

    "Mohammad Amir is still one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers" : Mickey Arthur

    The customary build-up to the sixth edition of the Pakistan Super League’s (PSL) is well underway, with all six franchises finalizing their squads at the recent Player Draft. The 2021 offering of one of the cricket world’s top Twenty20 leagues is due to begin on 20th February in Karachi with the final scheduled to take place on 22nd March in Lahore.


    Name:  ma_2.jpg
Views: 3065
Size:  78.6 KB


    Whilst Pakistan and Karachi Kings former Head Coach, Mickey Arthur, is currently busy with Sri Lanka’s home series against England, he has as expected been keeping a close eye on how the PSL squads are shaping up as he explained in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t follow what was going on in the recent PSL draft as I do take a keen interest in this tournament. To me all the squads look very well balanced and I am sure we can all once again, look forward to a very competitive tournament this year.”

    The 5th season of PSL, which was interrupted by the advent of the Coronavirus Pandemic and completed in November of last year, did produce some high-quality games which included a fall from grace of Islamabad United as they plunged to last position in the points table, as well as the resurgence of Lahore Qalandars who made it all the way to the final. This undoubtedly lends a more competitive edge to this year’s tournament and is an aspect that Mickey Arthur is very excited about, especially given the relative strengths of some of the squads.

    “From what I have seen of the selected PSL squads, I do like the look of Lahore Qalandars as I feel they have a lot of strength, particularly from a bowling point of view with bowlers like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf and David Wiese in their attack. To be honest, all the teams look good though. I’ve got a special fondness for Islamabad seeing that they have Shadab Khan who to me has all the makings of an exceptional captain. In addition, getting Hassan Ali on their roster was also a good move for them and his presence could make a big difference this season.”

    Previous editions of the PSL have always given rise to some exceptional young talents who have gone on to be beneficial to the national side. The likes of Shadab Khan, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Hasnain and Musa Khan are just some of the names that have gone on to represent Pakistan after some excellent performances in the PSL. It is in this light that the former Pakistan Head Coach is perplexed by the fact that the likes of Abdullah Shafique who was recently selected for the national Twenty20 side ostensibly for his potential, has failed to find a home in any one of the six franchises for PSL 6.

    “What was disappointing to see for me in this Player Draft was that guys like Abdullah Shafique were not picked up by any franchise. If you’re playing in the Pakistan national team as was Abdullah during the tour of New Zealand, one expects him to have been playing in the PSL, which to me is almost obligatory. This whole situation is fairly disappointing, as is probably for the players too.”

    It is logical to assume that Arthur, who was appointed Head Coach of Karachi Kings for their debut season in 2016 and continued to hold that position until 2019 when he was replaced by the Late Dean Jones, has a vested interest in how the team he helped nurture has fared since his departure.

    “I obviously follow Karachi Kings with a lot of interest because they’re my franchise. I really like the look of this squad and I feel that the inclusion of Dan Christian has really bolstered their all-round ability. I think it was Babar Azam who said it and it is something I totally agree with, which is that your overseas players will win you games, but it’s your local players that win you tournaments. It’s your core nucleus of local players that is the key in terms of picking teams and I am convinced that Karachi have the right mix of local and foreign players in their line-up.”

    It would have been a marketing man’s dream to see a Karachi versus Lahore final in Pakistan’s premier T20 tournament and that is what transpired in November 2020. For Karachi, it was a 5 year wait to finally lift the PSL Trophy, but as their former Head Coach puts it, the Karachi franchise also has the firepower needed to continue their reign and retain the title in 2021.

    “I am convinced that Karachi Kings have the ability to retain the title this year. In Babar Azam they’ve got one of the world’s best Twenty20 batsmen and I still think that they’ve got one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers in Mohammad Amir, and the same can be said about Imad Wasim who in my view is an incredible white-ball bowler. All in all, Karachi Kings are a very strong side and one that can once again, go all the way and lift the trophy in 2021.”
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th January 2021 at 22:42.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,421
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    If only Mickey Arthur could've overseen the development of Haider Ali and Abdullah Shafiq.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago, USA
    Runs
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well said Micky, his analysis and description on all PSL teams are worth reading. The best comment given on Abdullah Shafiq and asked a question that a potentially talented batsmen selected for the country have no place in any franchise. I blame Misbah for selecting him and exposing a raw talent against New Zealand in New Zealand instead of letting him stay in Pakistan to play all QEA 4 days domestic season.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,701
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    If Mickey was in charge whilst Haider and Abdullah were around. And Saud. Wow.

    We could have had an ATG line up:

    Haider Ali
    Abdullah Shafique
    Babar Azam
    Saud Shakeel.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    816
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    If Mickey was in charge whilst Haider and Abdullah were around. And Saud. Wow.

    We could have had an ATG line up:

    Haider Ali
    Abdullah Shafique
    Babar Azam
    Saud Shakeel.
    Have faith in Muhammad Wasim.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,701
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Have faith in Muhammad Wasim.
    It's not about the selector, it's about the coach and how they help develop the right batting mindset into a batsman. The hunger for runs etc etc. Wasim just selects the squad. His job is done now.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    12,760
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not renewing Mickey's contract is probably Wasim Khan's only blunder till date.


    "You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    816
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    It's not about the selector, it's about the coach and how they help develop the right batting mindset into a batsman. The hunger for runs etc etc. Wasim just selects the squad. His job is done now.
    Do you think Andy Flower will be capable of that?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,637
    Mentioned
    2300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    If only Mickey Arthur could've overseen the development of Haider Ali and Abdullah Shafiq.
    I think he works well with young up and coming players and tends to get the best out of them.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    733
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team that toured England in 2018 was a good basis - and those good prospects of late Saud, Haider, Abdullah, plus Rizwan and Shaheen who are now firm test players:

    Azhar (still solid)
    Abdullah (needs time)
    Saud (proven domestic)
    Babar
    Haider (needs time)
    Rizwan
    Faheem
    Yasir (for now)
    Hassan
    Amir
    Shaheen

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    103,460
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Do you think Andy Flower will be capable of that?
    Andy Flower is better to coach than Mickey, but he is strict in discipline, he would not compromise on that. He should bring his own team with him , and should focus on mid term and long term goals.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    9,692
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Andy flower is not interested then think Mickey can be brought back which is pretty much easy comparatively. but will he accept that now is a big question mark after all the turmoil.

    I think Pakistan can offer more than what Srilanka can give in terms of money.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,721
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    If Andy flower is not interested then think Mickey can be brought back which is pretty much easy comparatively. but will he accept that now is a big question mark after all the turmoil.

    I think Pakistan can offer more than what Srilanka can give in terms of money.
    Don't think Mickey will be interested after the embarrassing manner in which he was let go. Secondly he can't just walk out of his contract with the Sri Lankan team.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,782
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey is not getting results with SriLanka either, SriLanka though is even worse team than the one he had with Pakistan.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    3,412
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey's eyes would be lit up if he saw the players he could work with in the current setup, the likes of Babar are established in the team, but he would have the luxury of developing Shadab, Haider, Zafar, Abdullah, Saud, and so many more. He'd really maximize the development of our talent, shame that he was released.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,637
    Mentioned
    2300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPremi View Post
    Mickey is not getting results with SriLanka either, SriLanka though is even worse team than the one he had with Pakistan.
    They are such a weak team. Hardly any world-class players and match-winners.

    A shadow of teams of the past.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    17,767
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think he works well with young up and coming players and tends to get the best out of them.
    I noticed that the headline was

    “Amir is still an exceptional white ball bowler”

    Rather than...

    “Shadab Khan has all the makings of an exceptional captain”.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    1,291
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think so, as he is going down the same route as Junaid Khan; route of a trundler! If he won't regain his pace (140 kph and above), then consider his career over already.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,637
    Mentioned
    2300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I noticed that the headline was

    “Amir is still an exceptional white ball bowler”

    Rather than...

    “Shadab Khan has all the makings of an exceptional captain”.
    It could have been either

    Mickey rates Shadab very highly and always has done. He sees him as a future Pakistan captain no doubt.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it funny that how much Mickey is fixated with Pak cricket and does not concentrate enough on Sri Lankan team. All those people who want him back, let me remind that it was Mickey Arthur's tenure during which Muhammad Amir averaged 92 for one and a half year. Pakistani's should stop treating him like some sort of messiah. He is good at politics though as he keeps on giving those people pleasing statements.
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th January 2021 at 18:09.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,721
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    I find it funny that how much Mickey is fixated with Pak cricket and does not concentrate enough on Sri Lankan team. All those people who want him back, let me remind that it was Mickey Arthur's tenure during which Muhammad Amir averaged 92 for one and a half year. Pakistani's should stop treating him like some sort of messiah. He is good at politics though as he keeps on giving those people pleasing statements.
    Lol Mickey was good at playing to the galleries. Tbh it was under Mickey that Amir was bowled to the ground and where he declined from 145 km/hr to 127-132 km/hr. And then Mickey comes out in interviews after being let go as coach about Mohd Amirs workload issues and how he was right to leave test cricket.
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th January 2021 at 21:18.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MenInG;11045554]The customary build-up to the sixth edition of the Pakistan Super League’s (PSL) is well underway, with all six franchises finalizing their squads at the recent Player Draft. The 2021 offering of one of the cricket world’s top Twenty20 leagues is due to begin on 20th February in Karachi with the final scheduled to take place on 22nd March in Lahore.


    Name:  ma_2.jpg
Views: 3065
Size:  78.6 KB


    Whilst Pakistan and Karachi Kings former Head Coach, Mickey Arthur, is currently busy with Sri Lanka’s home series against England, he has as expected been keeping a close eye on how the PSL squads are shaping up as he explained in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t follow what was going on in the recent PSL draft as I do take a keen interest in this tournament. To me all the squads look very well balanced and I am sure we can all once again, look forward to a very competitive tournament this year.”

    The 5th season of PSL, which was interrupted by the advent of the Coronavirus Pandemic and completed in November of last year, did produce some high-quality games which included a fall from grace of Islamabad United as they plunged to last position in the points table, as well as the resurgence of Lahore Qalandars who made it all the way to the final. This undoubtedly lends a more competitive edge to this year’s tournament and is an aspect that Mickey Arthur is very excited about, especially given the relative strengths of some of the squads.

    “From what I have seen of the selected PSL squads, I do like the look of Lahore Qalandars as I feel they have a lot of strength, particularly from a bowling point of view with bowlers like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf and David Wiese in their attack. To be honest, all the teams look good though. I’ve got a special fondness for Islamabad seeing that they have Shadab Khan who to me has all the makings of an exceptional captain. In addition, getting Hassan Ali on their roster was also a good move for them and his presence could make a big difference this season.”

    Previous editions of the PSL have always given rise to some exceptional young talents who have gone on to be beneficial to the national side. The likes of Shadab Khan, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Hasnain and Musa Khan are just some of the names that have gone on to represent Pakistan after some excellent performances in the PSL. It is in this light that the former Pakistan Head Coach is perplexed by the fact that the likes of Abdullah Shafique who was recently selected for the national Twenty20 side ostensibly for his potential, has failed to find a home in any one of the six franchises for PSL 6.

    “What was disappointing to see for me in this Player Draft was that guys like Abdullah Shafique were not picked up by any franchise. If you’re playing in the Pakistan national team as was Abdullah during the tour of New Zealand, one expects him to have been playing in the PSL, which to me is almost obligatory. This whole situation is fairly disappointing, as is probably for the players too.”

    It is logical to assume that Arthur, who was appointed Head Coach of Karachi Kings for their debut season in 2016 and continued to hold that position until 2019 when he was replaced by the Late Dean Jones, has a vested interest in how the team he helped nurture has fared since his departure.

    “I obviously follow Karachi Kings with a lot of interest because they’re my franchise. I really like the look of this squad and I feel that the inclusion of Dan Christian has really bolstered their all-round ability. I think it was Babar Azam who said it and it is something I totally agree with, which is that your overseas players will win you games, but it’s your local players that win you tournaments. It’s your core nucleus of local players that is the key in terms of picking teams and I am convinced that Karachi have the right mix of local and foreign players in their line-up.”

    It would have been a marketing man’s dream to see a Karachi versus Lahore final in Pakistan’s premier T20 tournament and that is what transpired in November 2020. For Karachi, it was a 5 year wait to finally lift the PSL Trophy, but as their former Head Coach puts it, the Karachi franchise also has the firepower needed to continue their reign and retain the title in 2021.

    “I am convinced that Karachi Kings have the ability to retain the title this year. In Babar Azam they’ve got one of the world’s best Twenty20 batsmen and I still think that they’ve got one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers in Mohammad Amir, and the same can be said about Imad Wasim who in my view is an incredible white-ball bowler. All in all, Karachi Kings are a very strong side and one that can once again, go all the way and lift the trophy in 2021.

    "Good bowler or not, he is a selfish traitor. He should be thankful that Pakistan gave him a second chance. Now he is again tarnishing and harming Pakistan cricket with statements. All for his personal gain. Payback to Pakistan for ignoring his betrayal of Pakistan."

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    I find it funny that how much Mickey is fixated with Pak cricket and does not concentrate enough on Sri Lankan team. All those people who want him back, let me remind that it was Mickey Arthur's tenure during which Muhammad Amir averaged 92 for one and a half year. Pakistani's should stop treating him like some sort of messiah. He is good at politics though as he keeps on giving those people pleasing statements.
    amir is nearing 30.. i think riaz got some handy skills we could bring him on to bowl and he'd get wickets not to mention hes got batting skills remember his patriotic innings against AFG in world cup 15(9)*... hes a total MVP for Pakistan while amir aint good PR (past 10.5 years and all) just saying

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,756
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    03rd February 2021

    Following PCR Tests carried out on the Provisional Squad, which was preparing to take part in the National Team’s upcoming tour of West Indies, Head Coach Mickey Arthur and Sri Lanka Player Lahiru Thirimanne have tested Positive for Covid-19.

    They were detected following PCR Tests carried out yesterday (02nd February) for the entire 36-member squad, along with the Coaching Staff, Net Bowlers, and the HPC Staff.

    Immediately upon identification, both Mickey Arthur and Lahiru Thirimanne have been directed to follow the Government’s health protocol laid out on Covid – 19.

    The 36-member group commenced practices on the 28th January, in 03 groups and at different time periods, as a precautionary health measure.

    Considering the current situation, SLC is exploring the possibility of rescheduling the Tour of West Indies, which was scheduled to commence on 20th Feb. 2021.

    In the meantime, Sri Lanka Cricket will continue with normal operations, adhering to the stipulated Health Protocols in all its centers.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    17,767
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I wish Mickey Arthur a full and speedy recovery.

    He’s a similar age and fitness level to Kate Garraway’s poor husband, so we should take nothing for granted.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,637
    Mentioned
    2300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Well Amir has chosen his destiny and only the removal of Misbah-ul-Haq and Waqar Younis will change his mind.

    Such a silly situation really and one that could have been avoided.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    24,970
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What intrigues me is that how someone like Amir feels i.e if he feels anything at all seeing Hassan and Shaheen winning a test match which is the top form of cricket and consequently the test series for their country while few days ago Amir's was bowling in a random T10 tournament. Its hard to imaging that he doesnt feel anything as this is what any young boy who starts playing cricket dreams of to win matches for his national team instead of trying to make a franchise T10 team known as Pune Devils win a match vs Maratha Arabian. Sportsmen with skills good enough generally love playing at the biggest stage where all eyes are looking at them instead of random gigs in which no one remembers the performance the next day.

    Yes priorities do change in life but, a profession like sports requires a lot of passion for anyone to pursue and if someone does pursue its usually with an aim of playing at the highest level. So really surprises me when I see players like Amir who dont want to pursue that dream anymore rather just want to lend their skills for money to random leagues and that too at their peak, when they can have numerous opportunities do the same later in their careers and even after that they can earn money by remaining part of the sport one way or another.
    Last edited by Titan24; 9th February 2021 at 03:57.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,721
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Amir can only dream of doing what Hassan Ali did against a premier opposition team on a flat pitch at home. Take a hike Amir and don't let the door hit you

  29. #29
    Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    1,195
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    What intrigues me is that how someone like Amir feels i.e if he feels anything at all seeing Hassan and Shaheen winning a test match which is the top form of cricket and consequently the test series for their country while few days ago Amir's was bowling in a random T10 tournament. Its hard to imaging that he doesnt feel anything as this is what any young boy who starts playing cricket dreams of to win matches for his national team instead of trying to make a franchise T10 team known as Pune Devils win a match vs Maratha Arabian. Sportsmen with skills good enough generally love playing at the biggest stage where all eyes are looking at them instead of random gigs in which no one remembers the performance the next day.

    Yes priorities do change in life but, a profession like sports requires a lot of passion for anyone to pursue and if someone does pursue its usually with an aim of playing at the highest level. So really surprises me when I see players like Amir who dont want to pursue that dream anymore rather just want to lend their skills for money to random leagues and that too at their peak, when they can have numerous opportunities do the same later in their careers and even after that they can earn money by remaining part of the sport one way or another.
    He took a chance sighting the dismal show in New Zealand and based off of some weak information from his ill-advised journalist friend; Shoaib Jatt that Andy flower was set to be the next coach.

    Jatt has ruined many a career for his two minutes of fame and Amir has added himself to that list.

    With Misbah set to be retained, his career looks as good as over.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,756
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Mickey obviously feels that because he has seen Amir up and close, but is it simply a case of loyalty or he genuinely sees something good in Amir?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    11,108
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is some problem between Amir and his team mates too. Look at the reaction of Shaheen after he gets Amir out. It was vengeance. It's the same game where he embraced Babar after bowling him out. Somewhere somehow Amir lost the respect of his juniors too.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    3,741
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    There is some problem between Amir and his team mates too. Look at the reaction of Shaheen after he gets Amir out. It was vengeance. It's the same game where he embraced Babar after bowling him out. Somewhere somehow Amir lost the respect of his juniors too.
    Good observation. I'd be surprised if anyone involved with Pakistan cricket still feels like they have any respect for Amir. He's very hard to like right now.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,756
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    3,440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey wasn't perfect BUT he was better than all the other coaches post 2010.
    He did his best with a very very mediocre team and his absence shows.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    772
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Good observation. I'd be surprised if anyone involved with Pakistan cricket still feels like they have any respect for Amir. He's very hard to like right now.
    Amir is not your "mashallah boys played well" kinda guy. He is not a pleaser and yes man, which is his undoing! We dont need him to be "likeable", we need him to win us games. He was also unnecessarily demonized by Waqar and Misbah on-air, so one wonders how much demonization went on behind the screens.
    Ultimately, Amir should never have never been dropped in the first place. He was our best T20 fast bowler by miles. His performances post 2019 were pretty good, specially in ODIs where he was the only Pakistani bowler in top 10. Still is the only Pakistani bowler in top 10.
    Poor management of talent.
    Last edited by Farabi; 17th May 2021 at 23:11.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,756
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    2 overs for 20 runs - Mohammad Amir in PSL 6 in Abu Dhabi

    Name:  55ac61f7-5fb8-4392-b988-72a68c58428a.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  242.7 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th June 2021 at 20:18.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  37. #37
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,756
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Better from Amir last night but is it good enough to beg him for a comeback?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  38. #38
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    1,525
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Better from Amir last night but is it good enough to beg him for a comeback?
    He's better than Hasnain and Haris Rauf (who both are superior to Musa, Naseem & Fahim Ashraf).

    Dahani, M Wasim are untested at highest level.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    130
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shaheen and Hasan are bankers as starters for t20 right now but more often than not Amir will be harder to smash away for big when you compare with Haris Rauf and Hasnain and it’s these two his competing with for a birth in the side

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    5,056
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best opening over I have seen in T20 cricket from Pakistan.

    Yes, Shaheen's India/Australia overs are up there too.

    But this one to take out opposition's hottest player, in a final, which was won, with a plan Amir usually doesn't follow, was just perfect.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    5,056
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also has Asia Cup's amazing opening over to his credit - and Champion's trophy in ODIs. What a bowler when he turned it on - big occasions too.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also retired - move on.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,421
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    This is the best opening over I have seen in T20 cricket from Pakistan.

    Yes, Shaheen's India/Australia overs are up there too.

    But this one to take out opposition's hottest player, in a final, which was won, with a plan Amir usually doesn't follow, was just perfect.

    It was awe-inspiring seeing such a young bowler display intelligence far beyond his years in a World Cup final. It's a tragedy his potential was never maximised.

    People pile on Amir (his Twitter statements have admittedly been ill-advised) but the relationship was poorly managed from both sides.

    People forget Waqar's unnecessary and false comment in 2019 that "Amir and Wahab gave us a dhoka" by "retiring suddenly before the Australia series" when he actually retired in July, not suddenly before the Australia tour in Nov.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    21,471
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir checked out after the 2019 WC.

    He wants to make himself financially secure and that's fair enough, but it is his decision alone


    "Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

  45. #45
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    727
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    It was awe-inspiring seeing such a young bowler display intelligence far beyond his years in a World Cup final. It's a tragedy his potential was never maximised.

    People pile on Amir (his Twitter statements have admittedly been ill-advised) but the relationship was poorly managed from both sides.

    People forget Waqar's unnecessary and false comment in 2019 that "Amir and Wahab gave us a dhoka" by "retiring suddenly before the Australia series" when he actually retired in July, not suddenly before the Australia tour in Nov.
    We bent over backward to accommodate this chor....and you are still going on and on portraying him as a victim

  46. #46
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,421
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    We bent over backward to accommodate this chor....and you are still going on and on portraying him as a victim
    PCB did not rehabilitate Amir out of benevolence and compassion. Let's not be naive please.

    They brought him back because our pace stocks in 2014/15 included legends like Rahat Ali, Imran Khan sr, Mohammad Irfan, Sohail Tanvir etc.

    If you looked at this forum, which sometimes suffers from collective amnesia, the vast majority favoured his return and cursed Hafeez/Azhar for their opposition to his comeback.

    The only reason he's out of favour with the majority here is because we've shiny new toys in Shaheen, Naseem, Rauf etc - not because of some principled stance over corruption !

  47. #47
    Debut
    Sep 2022
    Runs
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't he choose to show up to court in England wearing a shirt that said "legalize it" with a picture of a certain type of leaf?

  48. #48
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,352
    Mentioned
    4903 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    PCB did not rehabilitate Amir out of benevolence and compassion. Let's not be naive please.

    They brought him back because our pace stocks in 2014/15 included legends like Rahat Ali, Imran Khan sr, Mohammad Irfan, Sohail Tanvir etc.

    If you looked at this forum, which sometimes suffers from collective amnesia, the vast majority favoured his return and cursed Hafeez/Azhar for their opposition to his comeback.

    The only reason he's out of favour with the majority here is because we've shiny new toys in Shaheen, Naseem, Rauf etc - not because of some principled stance over corruption !
    Even with these new toys, in theory he’d be a welcome resource to utilise in T20’s and his experience would be helpful, whether in the XI or bench, it would strengthen the attack.

    It is true the PCB needed Amir and it’s also true that Waqar is a clown, but Amir has not helped himself either.

    Thankfully, his loss is not too damaging now but you wonder what the response would be if we still had the 14/15 Hall of Fame Class
    Last edited by shaz619; 15th October 2022 at 05:30.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,875
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lets not get too ahead of ourselves, post ban amir was a shadow of pre-ban amir, just look at how effortless his action was.

    also @Markhor i usually agree with you, but lets not forget he was treated way better than butt or asif, and the narrative was that he was young and impressionable.

    regardless of motivation the pcb prioritised his return to international cricket, and without the pcb he would not have been able to resurect his professional career.

    yes, waqar is pbly one of the least mentally aware people in the entire Pakistan cricket set up, but amir wasn't the only one in that boat. people would give anything to play for Pakistan, and he voluntarily walked away from that, i cant think of many others who have done that.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    5,752
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A Spoiled brat poster child.

    The consistent pampering that everyone did for him made him grandiose and he forgot the meaning of what it is like to represent your nation.

    He returned in 2016 as a totally different bowler to what he used to be.

    Mickey played his part in leading him to believe how much better and irreplaceable he was than he actually was.

    Yes some of his spells will be remembered but him as a cricketer will never be remembered in good vein.

    Good that the Amir chapter of Pakistan Cricket is closed.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,802
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol so many Amir haters on this forum…literally crying over the fact he retired from international cricket whilst at the same time they say “good riddance”.
    Last edited by Firebat; 15th October 2022 at 07:29.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,721
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The PCB eventually realized that Amir had taken them for a big ride and he was no longer worth the investment. The ROI was very poor and hence they decided to cut their losses and move on.

    His statistics are very poor from 2016 to 2020.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    16,580
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The PCB eventually realized that Amir had taken them for a big ride and he was no longer worth the investment. The ROI was very poor and hence they decided to cut their losses and move on.

    His statistics are very poor from 2016 to 2020.
    What he did in the final CT2017 no other Pak bowler was able to humilate the big rival in such a way. Also the over to dilshan 2009.

    ATG pak great in LOI.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    21,021
    Mentioned
    780 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Even with these new toys, in theory he’d be a welcome resource to utilise in T20’s and his experience would be helpful, whether in the XI or bench, it would strengthen the attack.

    It is true the PCB needed Amir and it’s also true that Waqar is a clown, but Amir has not helped himself either.

    Thankfully, his loss is not too damaging now but you wonder what the response would be if we still had the 14/15 Hall of Fame Class
    Actually he won't. You dont really need more than 1 left arm quick. Shaheen is quicker, taller , swings the ball more than Aamir etc.

    Pakistan's bowling strength and depth is duch that this guy is probably 5th or 6th in reckoning.

    No expert even talks about Aamir as even a left field option for Pakistan now. Only on PP do I see some folks thinking he'd have some utility left.

    He did well in CPL but that was on some really questionable wickets that you won't find in better leagues or in international cricket.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    727
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    PCB did not rehabilitate Amir out of benevolence and compassion. Let's not be naive please.

    They brought him back because our pace stocks in 2014/15 included legends like Rahat Ali, Imran Khan sr, Mohammad Irfan, Sohail Tanvir etc.

    If you looked at this forum, which sometimes suffers from collective amnesia, the vast majority favoured his return and cursed Hafeez/Azhar for their opposition to his comeback.

    The only reason he's out of favour with the majority here is because we've shiny new toys in Shaheen, Naseem, Rauf etc - not because of some principled stance over corruption !
    All of what you wrote is bending over backwards, did you watch him bowl when he rturned? he only turned up for the CT 2017 final, otherwise he was a mediocre version of not able to figure-out-his-length.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,421
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    All of what you wrote is bending over backwards, did you watch him bowl when he rturned? he only turned up for the CT 2017 final, otherwise he was a mediocre version of not able to figure-out-his-length.
    Did you watch the 2019 World Cup ? Amir was our best bowler until Shaheen found the right length for English conditions.

    Yes he was mostly mediocre post-return - it's partly Amir's fault he didn't keep himself fit during his 5 year ban, and partly PCB for mismanaging his workload. He bowled the most overs of any Pakistani bowler by Mar 2018.

    Again Amir's social media statements and rash decisions were dumb. However please try to look at the situation objectively instead of painting it as black-and-white.

    Why did Waqar say Amir gave us a "dhoka" by retiring "suddenly 10-15 days before the Australia tour" in Nov when Amir retired in July ?

    https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/...n=ShareArticle

    Why did Waqar say Amir didn't retire from Tests because of workload when that was his publicly stated reason ? Was Waqar lying or simply ignorant ? There was no need for such incendiary remarks. So there's fault on both sides.
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th October 2022 at 21:23.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,352
    Mentioned
    4903 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Actually he won't. You dont really need more than 1 left arm quick. Shaheen is quicker, taller , swings the ball more than Aamir etc.

    Pakistan's bowling strength and depth is duch that this guy is probably 5th or 6th in reckoning.

    No expert even talks about Aamir as even a left field option for Pakistan now. Only on PP do I see some folks thinking he'd have some utility left.

    He did well in CPL but that was on some really questionable wickets that you won't find in better leagues or in international cricket.
    Am not saying he should be in the XI without question but why is he not considered good enough for the bench or support for injury, you mentioned they don’t need another leftie, but look at the situation now where Shaheen’s fitness is an issue and in such situations why would he be a poor option and lets say they do have their best attack all fit and firing, does it hurt to have him there when one of the options on the bench is Dhani who likes to go at 10 an over and grunt, plus Amir was always a big tournament player and experience is invaluable, in T20’s don’t think it would hurt

  58. #58
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    727
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Did you watch the 2019 World Cup ? Amir was our best bowler until Shaheen found the right length for English conditions.

    Yes he was mostly mediocre post-return - it's partly Amir's fault he didn't keep himself fit during his 5 year ban, and partly PCB for mismanaging his workload. He bowled the most overs of any Pakistani bowler by Mar 2018.

    Again Amir's social media statements and rash decisions were dumb. However please try to look at the situation objectively instead of painting it as black-and-white.

    Why did Waqar say Amir gave us a "dhoka" by retiring "suddenly 10-15 days before the Australia tour" in Nov when Amir retired in July ?

    https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/...n=ShareArticle

    Why did Waqar say Amir didn't retire from Tests because of workload when that was his publicly stated reason ? Was Waqar lying or simply ignorant ? There was no need for such incendiary remarks. So there's fault on both sides.
    Waqar and Misbah have been out fo the support staff for more than a year now, did amir return? Waqar's statement is jus5t that , a statement, he has no agency over Amir's actions. I don't see the connection between the two.
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th October 2022 at 21:23.

  59. #59
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    2,885
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    All of what you wrote is bending over backwards, did you watch him bowl when he rturned? he only turned up for the CT 2017 final, otherwise he was a mediocre version of not able to figure-out-his-length.
    2016 asia cup spell vs India?

  60. #60
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    2,885
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    Waqar and Misbah have been out fo the support staff for more than a year now, did amir return? Waqar's statement is jus5t that , a statement, he has no agency over Amir's actions. I don't see the connection between the two.
    There was a definite connection of those statements and Amir's decision. Calling your active players 'dhokebaaz' or casting aspersions over their motivations PUBLICLY is beyond unprofessional.

    Further, there was no doubt he was a key figure of the white ball team but Misbah didn't treat him as such. He was treated like a debutant who's place was as unsecure as likes of Dahani, Hasnain or Wasim jnr today. That didn't make sense at all.


    Afterwards, it was because of Rameez. Another chairman and Amir would have returned.

    Not supporting Amir's behavior at all btw. He should have had a thicker skin and moved on. Retirement was an impulsive, ridiculous decision.

    Anyway it's kinda hard to miss Amir right now when we have wealth of upcoming fastbowling talent. A bit more polish for some of these bowlers and the competition for places is going to be steep in future if it isn't already.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,721
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Amir didn't have performances to support his inclusion in the team. He performed in one match and then went missing in the next 5-6. His pace and effectiveness was also down and his fitness was also a problem. For someone who gave up the premier format ie test cricket for the sake of ODI and T20 Cricket you expected a better output.

    Both Misbah and Waqar definately felt the younger lot ie Naseem, Hasnain, Musa, Rauf, Shaheen, Dhani, Wasim Jr were more hungrier for success, were putting the hard yards in the nets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •