Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will IPL 2021 be Postponed Amid Rising Coronavirus Cases in India?

BCCI is under huge pressure to ensure IPL 2021 is staged without any hiccup even as coronavirus cases continue to rise in India.

With just two days left before the start of IPL 2021, the organisers are grappling with the coronavirus cases the high-profile league has been hit with in the past fee days. It started with a couple of Indian cricketers testing positive for the deadly virus followed by groundstaff and several members in broadcast bio-bubble being infected by it.

On Tuesday, reports emerged that former India wicketkeeper Kiran More, currently with IPL franchise Mumbai Indians, has tested positive for COVID-19 despite being part of the teamís bio-bubble. This has not only left the other teams nervous but also giving rise to speculations if IPL will be be cancelled altogether.

And then on Wednesday, PTI reported that Royal Challengers Bangalore allrounder Daniel Sams has also tested COVID-19 positive. And as per the latest reports, India, for the first time since the pandemic began last year, has reported over one lakh cases in a single day. Under the prevailing circumstances, BCCIís decision to host IPL and not shift it to UAE like last season is also being questioned.

ďIf this can happen to the Mumbai Indiansí camp, then nothing is safe anywhere else,Ē The Times of India quoted an unnamed franchise representative as saying on Wednesday. ďThey are always doubly prepared in circumstances like these. Their bio-bubble began on March 1 in Mumbai and ever since, they have been travelling inside it. Like they did in the UAE, they once again booked the entire wing of a five-star resort in Chennai this season too. If theyíre worried right now trying to figure out how Kiran got infected, others are all the more worried.Ē

Chennai, which is to play host to the season opener between defending champions MI and Royal Challengers Bangalore on April 9, has reported 3645 fresh cases and 15 deaths on Tuesday.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...n-india-976714

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there's no way it'll be postponed, money > lives in the majority of cases and the BCCI will certainly adhere to that policy.

If a breakout occurs during the IPL it'll be interesting but the lure of Indian bux will be a far greater pull for foreign players to remain compared to what we saw at PSL.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They should just shift it to UAE

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's too late to postpone it.

Even during peak lockdown last year the BCCI dullards couldn't stop yapping on about the IPL, no way they'll pull the plug now they're so close to the event.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Big responsibility on the organizers now

I feel that the money will dictate this goes ahead - don't think players will be too impressed if tournament cancelled/postponed - too many $$$ in the mix

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It won't get postponed or cancelled. Too much of money involved and this time BCCI cannot force ICC to postpone T20 World Cup again 😂, so the only option to have it is now.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are crowds allowed or is it behind closed doors?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    If it does get cancelled after a couple of games, will the players get paid?

I don't think rescheduling it would be possible this year, given India's tour to England, as well as the WT20.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    It's too late to postpone it.

Even during peak lockdown last year the BCCI dullards couldn't stop yapping on about the IPL, no way they'll pull the plug now they're so close to the event.
    Not even if players keep testing positive?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why aren't all the players vaccinated yet? Why can't India do that as a priority? If they don't, they will risk derailing the IPL.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't see it happening. But I do expect some players will pull out

What's more concerning is how India will host the T20 World Cup? Totally idiotic decision by the BCCI to make a deal with CA and take over hosting duties. A T20 WC in Australia would have been much better because the situation there is much better compared to pretty much everywhere in the world.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    BCCI is greedy and their ego will get hurt if it doesn't happen.

Money > Life in a country like India anyway.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Don't see it happening. But I do expect some players will pull out

What's more concerning is how India will host the T20 World Cup? Totally idiotic decision by the BCCI to make a deal with CA and take over hosting duties. A T20 WC in Australia would have been much better because the situation there is much better compared to pretty much everywhere in the world.
    No players are going to pull out and even if they do, it will carry on. Too much money at stake.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Not even if players keep testing positive?
    They will keep finding replacements of Corona positive player instead.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it will get cancelled. BCCI seem to have a plan and a strict bio secure bubble.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    I don't think it will get cancelled. BCCI seem to have a plan and a strict bio secure bubble.
    They have money. Plan comes later.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    lets hope not. cant give india two windows every yaer

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    No players are going to pull out and even if they do, it will carry on. Too much money at stake.
    Josh Philippe, Josh Hazelwood, Mitchell Marsh have already pulled out.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Josh Philippe, Josh Hazelwood, Mitchell Marsh have already pulled out.
    Let's see if the guys on the big contracts have the courage. I am surprised about these guys.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...even if World war 3 starts, IPL will still go ahead as per schedule. Some things in life is just too important to postpone/cancel and IPL is one of them. WT20 later this year can get cancelled though if Covid situation dont improve in India by then.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stupid decision to go ahead with this. Could come back and bite them.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    LOL...even if World war 3 starts, IPL will still go ahead as per schedule. Some things in life is just too important to postpone/cancel and IPL is one of them. WT20 later this year can get cancelled though if Covid situation dont improve in India by then.
    Life is sad if IPL or any sports is more important than people's lives

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCCI will want to make sure that the IPL goes according to plan so that the World Cup hosting rights are not stripped.

That's the bigger goal in my mind, having a World Cup at home with a very high chance of winning.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If EPL can on go on, certainly an IPL with smaller schedule can work fine...

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    BCCI will want to make sure that the IPL goes according to plan so that the World Cup hosting rights are not stripped.

That's the bigger goal in my mind, having a World Cup at home with a very high chance of winning.
    For BCCI, IPL is the bigger goal.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Leagues went on in europe with covid raging there.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    For BCCI, IPL is the bigger goal.
    Financially, yes.

But IPL being hosted in India is the only reason BCCI can assure ICC that it is safe for the T20 World Cup to be hosted in India.

ICC had exerted some pressure by saying that they were considering some backup options for the World Cup apart from India.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    They have money. Plan comes later.
    Well obviously money is a big reason why it is going ahead. The BCCI need the cash to be able to operate and players want the cash. I read on cricinfo BCCIs plan for the bio secure bubble and quarantine rules and it seems good.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    Financially, yes.

But IPL being hosted in India is the only reason BCCI can assure ICC that it is safe for the T20 World Cup to be hosted in India.

ICC had exerted some pressure by saying that they were considering some backup options for the World Cup apart from India.
    Hosting the IPL is an existential objective for the BCCI, they'd sooner agree to cancelling the World T20 before even considering the idea of postponing the flagship tournament in their season. It's their number one priority.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Leagues went on in europe with covid raging there.
    Yeah because Europe = India when it comes to following the rules and regulations set by government. Do tell me the number of Corona cases in India as compared to European countries. Many players got Covid during Road Safety series too.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The WT20 should be moved to New Zealand or Australia. I couldn't give a rat's tail about the IPL. I just hope no one gets seriously sick.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The WT20 should be moved to New Zealand or Australia. I couldn't give a rat's tail about the IPL. I just hope no one gets seriously sick.
    WT20 in NZ/Aus is a bad idea. Their timings are bad. I would prefer South Africa.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Hosting the IPL is an existential objective for the BCCI, they'd sooner agree to cancelling the World T20 before even considering the idea of postponing the flagship tournament in their season. It's their number one priority.
    True, but if BCCI were so adamant about hosting the IPL, the COVID cases would have compelled them to hold it in UAE. Why would they disobey all logical thinking?

It's because they want to prove that it can be hosted in India.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They wont.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Why aren't all the players vaccinated yet? Why can't India do that as a priority? If they don't, they will risk derailing the IPL.
    India has exported 60 million vaccines, and it couldn't find 600 vaccines for all those involved with the IPL?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as they are playing with empty stadium, its OK,

Yes, why all the players and staff have not been vaccinated yet, no one knows, they are thinking like Trump and his supporters ?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    India has exported 60 million vaccines, and it couldn't find 600 vaccines for all those involved with the IPL?
    This is mind boggling!! Millions at stake here.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    They should just shift it to UAE
    Cases are worse there, dumb decision plus i think with the logistics now it won't work. You have to do it in India.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They could have been proactive. Just have express mailed the vaccines to the players a month ago.

I hope they at least vaccinate them as soon as they get off the plane. The vaccines give about 60% to 80% immunity within ten days of the first dose, so it could make a difference in a season that will go on for 7 weeks.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    People are discussing about moving the IPL and Wt20 to Europe, South Africa and then Mars. Kinda missing the point here. Just vaccinate the players. I'm surprised the Australian, English, SA boards haven't vaccinated their players yet.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    WT20 in NZ/Aus is a bad idea. Their timings are bad. I would prefer South Africa.
    Not sure what the situation in South Africa is but New Zealand was Covid-free last time I checked.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBC News - Indian Premier League: The risks of hosting the IPL during a pandemic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56637098

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing BCCI and their greed, I don't think it will be cancelled at any cost.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah because Europe = India when it comes to following the rules and regulations set by government. Do tell me the number of Corona cases in India as compared to European countries. Many players got Covid during Road Safety series too.
    Only because you asked...

Cases/population

UK 4.4M/67M = 6.57%
    France 4.8M/67M = 7.16%
    Spain 3.3M/47M = 7.02%
    Italy 3.7M/60M = 6.17%
    and...
    India 13M/1,366M = 0.95%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?referer=app

And don't come back and say the data is not reliable, you asked for data and this is the best data there is.

@cricketjoshila @rhony
    Last edited by Napa; 8th April 2021 at 09:21.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Cases/population

UK 4.4M/67M = 6.57%
    France 4.8M/67M = 7.16%
    Spain 3.3M/47M = 7.02%
    Italy 3.7M/60M = 6.17%
    and...
    India 13M/1,366M = 0.95%

And don't come back and say the data is not reliable, you asked for data and this is the best data there is.

@cricketjoshila @rhony
    The next thing he will say is that India falsified the records. In fact every country did and many leaders are in trouble. Europe bungled it. There are only three countries that came out of Coronavirus with their reputations enhanced. NZ for their incredible incredible incredible efficiency. God bless that PM. Germany for being the star in Europe and last but not the least India for managing it with such a high density and high risk population. At one point people thought 100 million would die in India. India managed it and became an efficient supplier of vaccines. My only beef with India is they couldn't afford a vaccine for Axar Patel!!

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in India, T20s in Aus or NZ starts evening around 4 pm. SA, it will be around 9pm. I would take first option.

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently daily cases
    India 126k/1366m
    UK 3k/67m
    Pakistan 5k/ 260m

Percentage wise you can see that India is way higher currently

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as BCCI maintains strict biosecure protocol & does not allow breaches - there is no issues with hosting IPL

Issue is not Covid but more about how strict your bio secure bubble is ! Look at how EPL , UCL went on even during peak winter Covid wave in UK & Europe

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well NZ has just suspended all flights from India (inc. citizens of NZ).

Seems a lot of people were faking negative covid tests before getting on board.
    Last edited by Chip32; 8th April 2021 at 12:14.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a useless series that was ... ROAD SAFETY huh

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People comparing European leagues to IPL should realise those are year long leagues where the players actually reside, with their families, where they play. As a result they can have backups in numbers, anytime between 20 to 30 players as replacement. Even losing players in multitudes to COVID will not affect the continuity.

Also unlike these franchise tournaments, players dont have to travel half way across the globe for 2 months without any support system, living on their own and their safety is the concern of the teams and board. The responsibility of hosting an IPL in India is much much higher. There is too much to lose.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    60 million only? How about having enough to vaccinate their own people ASAP.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WT20 should be in Australia/ NZ. Atleast there's a chance of a crowd.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody gonna stop the money making machine that is IPL

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    nope..they will just cover up covid cases as has happened in the PSL and other leagues..IPL will happen even if a nuke was dropped on delhi!!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone saying IPL is happening due to money. Well obviously. The money is important because it allows BCCI to operate and the players are obviously want the money . Let's not make out international cricket is not played due to financial reasons lol. As if players are playing solely for country loyalty. The IPL is not going anywhere, as far as I know it is extending next year. Let's just make peace with it . I just hope we don't see every year players missing international games for the IPL. This year is understandable as fixtures needed to be arranged as there was not much cricket last year .

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Josh Hazlewood says Covid concern main reason for pulling out of IPL 2021

CSK's Josh Hazlewood has pulled out of IPL 2021 due to growing number of COVID-19 positive cases in India. - GETTY IMAGES

India's second wave of Covid-19 continues to gather pace, with more than 100,000 new cases being reported daily and nearly 13 million infections. It is against this grim backdrop that the 14th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) will get underway from April 9, continuing until the end of May.

With the IPL bubble already proving vulnerable – there has been a growing number of positive cases – uncertainty looms large. Australia fast bowler Josh Hazlewood, who opted out of the 2021 season last week, has cited the raging pandemic as the reason for his withdrawal. “Covid concern was the main reason I pulled out,” Hazlewood told Sportstar.

IPL 2021 schedule: Seven takeaways from Indian Premier League full match list

Hazlewood, the Chennai Super Kings fast bowler, became the third Australian player after Josh Philippe and Mitchell Marsh, to withdraw ahead of this season.

Hazlewood has been in bio-secure bubbles from August 2020 to January this year, but says he has “no real issue with them.”

Our correspondents Vijay Lokapally, Shayan Acharya and Wriddhaayan Bhattacharyya discuss the men's side's season thus far and what to look forward to in the upcoming season of the Indian Premier League.

“It all depends on how tight the bubbles are. Some are easier than others, and obviously, quarantine is a different story entirely. Everyone is different. I have no real issues.”

-Not too bothered-

Hazlewood was named in Australia’s Test squad to travel to South Africa. But with the tour getting postponed due to safety concerns and Australia failing to make the World Test Championship final, the next long-form game for Hazlewood and Aussies will be during the Ashes at home in December. But the lengthy gap doesn’t bother the 30-year-old too much.

“I’ve found that I’ve gotten used to it over the years. The international schedule is so full-on with all the different formats. We have only just recently had a big gap between Test matches due to Covid. I have no issue with it, and if I’m playing cricket, no matter the format, I’ll be fine,” he said.

Hazlewood is, however, happy at the opportunity to play with the New South Wales. “We have two finals in the space of a week, which is exciting and would be a great way to finish off the season.”

Meanwhile, three years after his exit as Australia’s captain in the aftermath of the Newlands ball-tampering scandal, Steve Smith has said he is keen to lead the national side again if an opportunity came his way. And Hazlewood thinks Smith is well placed to again lead Australia in Test cricket.

“He has a broader experience and has been through a lot of challenging situations in the last few years. I think he is probably in a better position now rather than when he first became captain.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le34270522.ece

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    The World Test Championship Final is now in doubt too.

New Zealand has banned all returning travellers from India - even NZ citizens - after 17 returnees from India tested positive in hotel quarantine yesterday.

From now on nobody who has been in India can enter NZ - even to enter hotel quarantine - for a period of 3 weeks after they departed India.

Either the players will have to travel directly from India to England, or else New Zealand will have to play a team of reserves in the WTC Final.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    60 million only? How about having enough to vaccinate their own people ASAP.
    Millions of dollars for IPL. Last I heard half a billion is at stake if IPL is cancelled

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    The World Test Championship Final is now in doubt too.

New Zealand has banned all returning travellers from India - even NZ citizens - after 17 returnees from India tested positive in hotel quarantine yesterday.

From now on nobody who has been in India can enter NZ - even to enter hotel quarantine - for a period of 3 weeks after they departed India.

Either the players will have to travel directly from India to England, or else New Zealand will have to play a team of reserves in the WTC Final.
    It's well known the NZ players in the IPL will travel from India straight to England as the IPL finishes in June. I have not seen a single report saying the test championship final is in doubt. Not sure what your game is here Junaids.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way, our BCCI does not care about lives.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    It's well known the NZ players in the IPL will travel from India straight to England as the IPL finishes in June. I have not seen a single report saying the test championship final is in doubt. Not sure what your game is here Junaids.
    Williamson, Boult, Jameson and Santner will be trapped if the IPL gets suspended, unable to return to NZ.

IPL finishes 30 May.

The First Test in England is 2 June.

The WTC Final is 18 June.

It could get very messy.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Didnít it get postposted last year? Youíre acting as if itís not possible when it literally happened a year ago

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Cases/population

UK 4.4M/67M = 6.57%
    France 4.8M/67M = 7.16%
    Spain 3.3M/47M = 7.02%
    Italy 3.7M/60M = 6.17%
    and...
    India 13M/1,366M = 0.95%

@cricketjoshila @rhony
    Most of Europe apart from France I think is welll past its peak (if not another wave) while India is at the peak of the pandemic.

Giving historical data with no relevance to current situation isnít the best data point.

Though I donít the. Poster you replied to had this in mind lol.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity - How do you guys know that vast numbers of players havenít been vaccinated on their own? I doubt thereís a log of who is and who isnít.

Secondly - even if vaccinated, doesnít that still mean you can still contract covid and give positive test results. Only the symptoms arenít as bad. Is my understanding wrong?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Cases/population

UK 4.4M/67M = 6.57%
    France 4.8M/67M = 7.16%
    Spain 3.3M/47M = 7.02%
    Italy 3.7M/60M = 6.17%
    and...
    India 13M/1,366M = 0.95%

@cricketjoshila @rhony
    India barely tests anyone, like Pakistan. The real number of cases has almost certainly passed 100 million, and I suspect is closer to 200 million.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    India barely tests anyone, like Pakistan. The real number of cases has almost certainly passed 100 million, and I suspect is closer to 200 million.
    Ignorant statement.

Indiaís testing rates may be low but to compare it with Pakistan is an absolute joke when India is testing more than 4 times as many people per 1000 as Pakistan is.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Ignorant statement.

Indiaís testing rates may be low but to compare it with Pakistan is an absolute joke when India is testing more than 4 times as many people per 1000 as Pakistan is.
    But they also have 6 time bigger population.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeshan547 View Post
    But they also have 6 time bigger population.
    The stats I gave were on a per 1000 basis so total population is irrelevant.

If you look at pure number of tests only then InDia is testing more than 10+ times we are testing on a daily basis

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity - How do you guys know that vast numbers of players haven’t been vaccinated on their own? I doubt there’s a log of who is and who isn’t.

Secondly - even if vaccinated, doesn’t that still mean you can still contract covid and give positive test results. Only the symptoms aren’t as bad. Is my understanding wrong?
    Vaccines are not really available yet in most countries. Even in the US, which has one of the highest % of population vaccinated among the large countries, it was only recently that I could get vaccinated.

According to the following article, people who have been vaccinated are unlikely to infect others.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...covid-19-virus

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of Europe apart from France I think is welll past its peak (if not another wave) while India is at the peak of the pandemic.

Giving historical data with no relevance to current situation isnít the best data point.

Though I donít the. Poster you replied to had this in mind lol.
    Well Europe has a peak every week, every new week there is a new virus.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what?
    What is the ground reality?

In Europe the so called worst hit of the whole world football competitions are on going and no there is no bubble here.

Why cant the IPL take place then or any other cricket leauge?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Ignorant statement.

India is testing a million plus a day. How many are pakistan testing? 50k?

Doubt any other country tests that many a day.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    India is testing a million plus a day. How many are pakistan testing? 50k?

Doubt any other country tests that many a day.
    The total number is irrelevant.

Per 1000 counts. India is behind on that but obviously nowhere as behind as Pakistan is

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The richest and most glamorous tournament in world cricket is on schedule in India even as the country battles a deadly second wave of Covid-19 infections.

Beginning on Friday, the Indian Premier League (IPL) will have eight teams playing 52 games at six venues behind closed doors across the country. The final will be played on 30 May.

The matches will be held in Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Ahmedabad. Most of these cities are seeing a sharp uptick in infections and hospitalisations.

More than 165,000 people have died with Covid-19 in India, and there have been 12.5 million confirmed infections. The country has been averaging more than 90,000 daily cases in April in a second wave largely attributed to laxity in public safety protocols.

A senior official of the Indian cricket board has said he is confident the 14th edition of the IPL will go ahead "without any problem".

Rajiv Shukla, vice-president of the board, told ANI news agency that secure bio-bubbles had been created for the players and other people associated with the tournament, and that they were getting tested for the virus.

"Keeping in mind all the precautions, the tournament will go ahead without any problems," Mr Shukla said.

Not everyone is so sure.

Four cricketers and a team consultant have already tested positive for Covid-19 and been put into isolation before the start of the tournament.

Devdutt Padikkal, an opening batsman for the Bangalore franchise, is in quarantine at home. Delhi Capitals spinner Axar Patel and Kolkata Knight Riders' Nitish Rana have also tested positive for the virus. Kiran More, the former India wicketkeeper and Mumbai Indians consultant, has become the "first case of a franchise representative having been infected in a bio bubble," according to one report.

And on Wednesday, Australian all-rounder Daniel Sams, who plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore, became the first foreign player to test positive after his arrival in Chennai (formerly Madras).

Ten ground staff at Mumbai's Wankhede stadium, which will host 10 games, have also tested positive. Five of the eight teams are now living and training in different grounds in Mumbai, the city worst hit by India's second wave.

"Dark Covid cloud looms over IPL", headlined The Times of India. The newspaper also posed a number of pertinent questions: Why is the tournament being played in six cities when spectators are not allowed in the stadium? Why did the cricket board not move this year's edition to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), like last year? "Is this edition a ticking time bomb now?" it enquired.

The teams are said to be staying in secure accommodation, and don't come into contact with anyone outside the bubble. The cricket board has hired "bubble integrity managers" for each team, says one report. According to media report, the stadium staff in Mumbai are being "tested every two days".

Many believe it will not be easy to maintain the security of the bubbles, however.

Between them, the eight teams have some 200 players living in bubbles. Then there are hundreds of support staff, team management staff, commentators, broadcast crew, groundsmen and caterers living in different bubbles. Star Sports, the broadcasters of the tournament, alone have some 700 crew members and more than 100 commentators living in eight separate bubbles, the Hindustan Times reported.

"The officials have taken a big risk. If one secure bubble collapses, the tournament will be in jeopardy," a former IPL team official, who preferred to remain unnamed, told the BBC.

Sourav Ganguly, the former Indian captain and the current chief of the cricket board, has been quoted as saying that last year's IPL in the UAE showed that "once everything settles down and is in bubble, things come under control".

But safeguarding bubble security in Indian cities where cricketers are treated as superstars may not be as simple.

When the IPL was moved to the UAE last summer, Covid-19 infection rates there were far lower than they are in India now. The games were played at only three venues - in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah - and there was no air travel involved, unlike this time.

It is true that cancelling the tournament now would result in a big financial hit for the Indian cricket board. Calling off the IPL last year would have led to losses upwards of $500m from media rights alone, according to one estimate.

"It is true that a lot of money is riding on the tournament. The IPL also brings lots of money to domestic cricket. But I personally feel they should not play the tournament," Suresh Menon, editor of Wisden India Almanack, told the BBC.

He says if there's a major outbreak of infection in the bubbles, the tournament will have to be called off. India has a packed cricketing calendar ahead: between now and the next IPL in 2022, India is scheduled to play 14 Tests, 12 ODIs and 22 Twenty20s. This, beside the World Twenty20 in India in October.

"Through a combination of well-planned bubbles, player discipline, and good fortune, India played through the pandemic year in 2020 without casualties and without, so far as we know, significant mental issues. But the pressures of playing in such conditions cannot be exaggerated," says Mr Menon.

"We got very lucky last year."

BBC

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Williamson, Boult, Jameson and Santner will be trapped if the IPL gets suspended, unable to return to NZ.

IPL finishes 30 May.

The First Test in England is 2 June.

The WTC Final is 18 June.

It could get very messy.

The ban from Indians going to NZ is till 28th April. Stop making up lies.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    To be precise, the ban on Indians entering New Zealand is into its 13th month now.

The initial ban on New Zealanders returning to NZ from India is initially to 28 April.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnít it get postposted last year? Youíre acting as if itís not possible when it literally happened a year ago
    That is because it was a national lockdown and this virus was a new thing back then. What happened next? ICC was forced to postpone its own event to accomodate IPL.

Again, I want to retiterate - if anyone thinks IPL is just a domestic t20 league is highly mistaken. Its one of the most important cricket tournament, if not the most cricket tournament, in a cricket calendar. There is a reason why a seperate window is given to IPL because ICC knows there is only 1 winner in a straight fight between ICC & IPL.

You think likes of Ganguly or BCCI or players dont realize the risk of organizing a tournament in the peak of pandemic? If this was an international series, it would have been cancelled long time ago. But the stakes in IPL is just too high for it to cancel. Is it a correct thing to do? Perhaps not. But it is as it is unfortunately.

So it dosen't matter if NZ bans travel from India or WTC Finals gets cancelled or earth stops spinning...IPL will go ahead as per schedule

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He will make up some new thing with no credible source backing it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will make up some new thing with no credible source backing it.
    Exactly. He hasn't even provided a source yet.