Should India opt for an Indian coach as replacement for Ravi Shastri?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Should India opt for an Indian coach as replacement for Ravi Shastri?

Interesting that BCCI want an Indian for this role.

==

While the attention of cricket fans is on the upcoming T20 World Cup, Indian cricket is set to undergo a massive transformation after the event. Not only will the tournament be Virat Kohli's last as T20I captain of the Indian team, but it will also mark the end of Ravi Shastri's term as head coach of the senior team.

With Shastri set to leave, the big question being asked is who will replace him at the helm of Indian cricket. While many names have been thrown around over the last month, there is yet to be an official communication from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) regarding the process.

However, it seems likely that Shastri's successor will be an Indian. It is believed that BCCI feels that an Indian is better equipped to handle the job especially the man-management part.

A BCCI source told Hindustan Times, "The new head coach will be an Indian,” a BCCI source involved in the process said. “Unlike the IPL, the Indian coaching job is a round-the-year job and man-management works out a lot better with an Indian coach.”

However, the possibility of former coach Anil Kumble returning to the post has been all but ruled out. The source suggested that the board have been in contact with leading Indian players regarding the process.

With many Indian Premier League (IPL) teams having overseas coaches at the helm, a lot of them have been linked with the Indian job. The likes of Tom Moody and Mahela Jayawardene are two names who have been tipped for the role in recent days.

Shastri has occupied the post since Kumble's exit after the 2017 Champions Trophy. Along with him bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach R Sridhar are also set to depart.

In Shastri's stint as coach, while India have won a Test series in Australia twice, they are yet to lift an ICC trophy having lost in the semi-final of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup and the 2021 World Test Championship final.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...reports/823325

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donít know why there arenít Indian head coaches in IPL. Reward ranji coaches with IPL gigs. Would be perfect grooming Avenue

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All the Indian fans that were delusional enough to treat Shastri's tenure flippantly will deserve everything that's in store for the team once the BCCI arrogantly appoint a token ex-Indian cricketer as coach, including any of the glorified and overrated folks that played cricket during the late 90s and 2000s.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.r.a.v.i.d

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri is doing okay. I think he is losing weight too so leave him alone Only Sidhu can replace him!
    Last edited by PakLFC; 14th October 2021 at 06:25.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Saurav Ganguly will install one of his cronies as the coach - if not Dravid, will it be Kumble/Laxman or Sehwag?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a master strategist and a people manager like him.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    All the Indian fans that were delusional enough to treat Shastri's tenure flippantly will deserve everything that's in store for the team once the BCCI arrogantly appoint a token ex-Indian cricketer as coach, including any of the glorified and overrated folks that played cricket during the late 90s and 2000s.
    This view I totally endorse as I see Shastri is ideal for team India. We didn't see a single player or official speak ill about him. He was laidback and cool and was a non controversial person. Supported players new and old and avoided bad mouthing any player and that I think is how the best man managers behave. Given a choice he always took the non controversial route and let the senior players call the shots.

Unfortunately, this is seen by many people as sucking up to Kohli. Other posts about him being slow and sleepy are nothing but memes and as you know it is the age of the meme more than the reality.

We will see the difference in coaching and player management straightaway unless BCCI bring a person having similar trait. I am equally sad to see Bharat Arun leave the camp.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    This view I totally endorse as I see Shastri is ideal for team India. We didn't see a single player or official speak ill about him. He was laidback and cool and was a non controversial person. Supported players new and old and avoided bad mouthing any player and that I think is how the best man managers behave. Given a choice he always took the non controversial route and let the senior players call the shots.

Unfortunately, this is seen by many people as sucking up to Kohli. Other posts about him being slow and sleepy are nothing but memes and as you know it is the age of the meme more than the reality.

We will see the difference in coaching and player management straightaway unless BCCI bring a person having similar trait. I am equally sad to see Bharat Arun leave the camp.
    I would love to work with or even be led by people such as Shastri, he is ideal for managing high-performing teams.

Unfortunately my view of Saurav Ganguly's leadership of the BCCI is completely inverse, which isn't surprising given how he came to power. I would be surprised if he doesn't appoint a crony to the coaching post once Shastri is gone.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I'm going to laugh if Sehwag is appointed.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Wut?

I love viru but he is a airhead.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    523 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sehwag would be like to like replacement for Shastri. Chilled out,street smart and very confident.Players would find him fun too.

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rahul Dravid is likely to be approached by the Indian cricket board to be the interim coach for India’s home series against New Zealand. Head coach Ravi Shastri and the core of the support staff will move on after the T20 World Cup but the board has realised the search for a new coach could take longer than expected and hence wants an experienced hand like Dravid at the helm as a stop-gap arrangement.

It’s learnt that a few Australian coaches expressed interest in the job, but the BCCI isn’t keen as they are focussing on an Indian for the role, before they look elsewhere. The BCCI had wanted Dravid to become the full-time coach of the Indian team but he had refused, it’s learnt, as he didn’t want to travel too much.

Dravid is the in-charge of the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru.

The Indian board later approached a few more coaches but are yet to get a positive response.

he BCCI has not officially put out an advertisement for the coach but has been looking around for a candidate who could fit the bill. The Indian cricket board is first trying to find out the availability of potential candidates before putting out an advertisement.

“We wanted the candidate whom we feel is best suited for the job to agree first (to apply for the job),” a BCCI official explained their rationale to delay the advertisement. “We don’t want a situation where we get applications but no one is seen as ideal. It will be embarrassing for the board and for the candidates too. So it’s better to find a suitable candidate first, till then Dravid can be interim coach,” a BCCI official said.

The board had initially considered the possibility of requesting Shastri to continue till that New Zealand series but have since changed their mind. Dravid has coached the second-string Indian team in Sri Lanka when the main team were concurrently playing in Australia earlier this year. India are scheduled to play two Tests and three T20’s against New Zealand immediately after the T20 World Cup.

The tenure of Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach R Sridhar comes to an end after the T20 World Cup. Indian team Trainer Nick Webb too will quit after the T20 World Cup.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...eries-7570990/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Rahul Dravid is likely to be approached by the Indian cricket board to be the interim coach for India’s home series against New Zealand. Head coach Ravi Shastri and the core of the support staff will move on after the T20 World Cup but the board has realised the search for a new coach could take longer than expected and hence wants an experienced hand like Dravid at the helm as a stop-gap arrangement.

It’s learnt that a few Australian coaches expressed interest in the job, but the BCCI isn’t keen as they are focussing on an Indian for the role, before they look elsewhere. The BCCI had wanted Dravid to become the full-time coach of the Indian team but he had refused, it’s learnt, as he didn’t want to travel too much.

Dravid is the in-charge of the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru.

The Indian board later approached a few more coaches but are yet to get a positive response.

he BCCI has not officially put out an advertisement for the coach but has been looking around for a candidate who could fit the bill. The Indian cricket board is first trying to find out the availability of potential candidates before putting out an advertisement.

“We wanted the candidate whom we feel is best suited for the job to agree first (to apply for the job),” a BCCI official explained their rationale to delay the advertisement. “We don’t want a situation where we get applications but no one is seen as ideal. It will be embarrassing for the board and for the candidates too. So it’s better to find a suitable candidate first, till then Dravid can be interim coach,” a BCCI official said.

The board had initially considered the possibility of requesting Shastri to continue till that New Zealand series but have since changed their mind. Dravid has coached the second-string Indian team in Sri Lanka when the main team were concurrently playing in Australia earlier this year. India are scheduled to play two Tests and three T20’s against New Zealand immediately after the T20 World Cup.

The tenure of Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach R Sridhar comes to an end after the T20 World Cup. Indian team Trainer Nick Webb too will quit after the T20 World Cup.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...eries-7570990/
    Big news.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India have many great local options. Why go for an international coach?

Indian coach seems more logical.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the results, should convince Shastri to continue

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    India have many great local options. Why go for an international coach?

Indian coach seems more logical.
    Many of these Indian legends are proven greats with less or no ego (at all), and no issues to work with anyone. They focus on their job and that is to guide the youngsters

And this is totally opposite of what we have? Either our players have big ego issues, open mouths to say lot of nonsense and bombasts, or they are totally incompetent (like Misbah) to be part of any setup; Sadly for us, barely any names come to the mind..All failed multiple times and again and again.. And that is where I feel heart broken

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big news.

And perhaps , Kumble be given U19 setup due o his closeness to Ganguly

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed..Dravid to be next head coach..not just interim..

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB or its political affiliates failed to understand one key thing; which BCCI learnt in year 2000

1) If you select right players
    2) They will win matches consistently
    3) If they win matches consistently
    4) Then your team becomes watchable
    5) And you get much higher broadcasting rights, and huge $$$ pour in to PCB and admins get richer

On the other side, what we marketed, the more inconsistent we are , more watchable PCT is; which is absolutely wrong assumptions