• Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I am very excited to have the opportunity to work with Jason Gillespie again": Mir Hamza

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, the Pakistan left ...

"I learned more about myself after my debut": Shoaib Bashir

Bashir joins PakPassion for an exclusive interview where he ...

"Gary Kirsten will fit in nicely in Pakistan Culture": Vernon Philander

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Philander shares insights ...

"What is the guarantee that Gary Kirsten will take Pakistan to victory in the World Cup?": Atiq-uz-Zaman

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan International ...

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

In his latest blog entry for Pakpassion, Ian Pont tells us who he thinks are the five players to watch out for at the World T20 and the two teams to look out for.

September 13th 2012

One thing is a fact: the ICC World T20 is going to be exciting and fun. But who could be the key players to keep an eye on? Bearing in mind what I have seen myself of the players and also the fact that the competition is in Sri Lanka where pitches sometimes resemble the Caribbean, I have a list of five people who could have a decent influence over results. 

I have to say I am thrilled to see Yuvjaj Singh back in international cricket after his cancer scare. We should all be grateful he has recovered and it's a pleasure to see him playing cricket once more. 

So, without necessarily picking the obvious names of Sehwag, Gayle, Pollard, Malinga etc., here are my "high five" players who could have a big say on the destination of the trophy:

Richard Levi (South Africa) although he has only played five T20 internationals so far, Levi is an absolute gun player, with a Strike Rate of 200 and an average of 42, he has better stats than Chris Gayle. He smoked a blistering 115 not out off only 51 balls and hit a world record 13 sixes in that innings. IF he gets going and IF he can bat long enough, Levi could ruin a good game of cricket.

Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) for me Ajmal is the best cross-competition bowler in the World (across all formats). I couldn't leave him out as someone to change the game, simply because the World T20 tournament should be perfect for him. He has a variety of deliveries and super control over them. He can turn a ball on glass. He baffles most batsmen. Plus he's a decent guy, too. With Ajmal bowling well in Sri Lanka, Pakistan can go close. His influence over 'tone setting' for the bowling attack might rub off on the squad. 

Dwayne Smith (West Indies) a very underrated hitter in tough situations and handy medium pacer with variations and subtle changes. Smith has had two spells in the IPL and one in the BPL but still hasn't quite fulfilled his promise. He has a Strike Rate of 140, so can definitely score fast. He’s also a good fielder. He isn't Chris Gayle, or even Kieron Pollard, but has a vital role to play that can swing a match West Indies' way. This tournament might define him.

Virat Kohli (India) a proven star in the IPL, Kohli can bat in the middle order against most types of bowler and play the right game as required by the team. Unflustered and calm, he has the right mentality to be an adaptable player under pressure. Despite still being only 23, he has 109 T20 matches under his belt and a wealth of experience. Kohli could play a key role for India.

Sunil Narine (West Indies) has caused trouble almost every time he bowls and has an amazing economy rate in T20. Plus, he takes wickets to make him the perfect T20 slow bowler. The World T20 could be the biggest stage for him to show his skills if West Indies can get a run in the competition. Narine had a good IPL. He’s hopeless with the bat and average in the field but his bowling skills could win the West Indies some important games.

The World T20 is hard to call. That's because each squad is loaded with match-winners and players who can turn a game around in just a few overs. This is why we love T20 cricket. So for the sheer unpredictability of the event, the fact that most pundits will go for the favourites or the hosts, and due to the aggressive way these two sides play the game, here are my two T20 Teams to watch: West Indies & Pakistan.