LATEST POLL

Are you satisfied with PCB's choice of coaching staff?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

As Sachin Tendulkar announces his retirement from one-day internationals, PakPassion member The Great Khan writes about the career of the legendary batsman.

alt

By User The Great Khan

Records are meant to be broken. The old adage that always seems to come out when a great record falls. From the hundred meters world record to the highest individual test score, none are sacred as humanity continues its march to its destiny(whatever that might be). The truth in the above statement rings out like no other. Ultimately no matter how amazing a record seems or how unsurpassable, a human will rise to take a mantle from another. It is a sure way to understand the human psyche and our spirit. Records will never be sacred.

Cricket had a number of records that seemed to be Everest’s. Mountains that mere mortals could never climb. Challenges that were impossible. As cricket fans, especially during the 80’s and 90’s we were dulled into believing some of these records would never be broken. We had no Sobers or Hanifs who could play like magicians and wield the willow like wands. It seemed those days were long gone and records were here to stay. An age of legends seemed a lost age. A time when our fathers and grandfathers would listen to cricket on the radio and watch the occasional match in stadiums with no facilities. A time of romantic amateurs who played with frivolity and charm but still managed to make names for themselves. Would we ever see records? Would we ever live amongst legends again? Luckily we were unaware of the age that lay before us. An age of legends, an age of records and an age of genius. No one has epitomized that age more than one man. A man who started this game as a schoolboy and then proceeded to carry the weight of a nation of millions on his young shoulders. A man who stood tall when facing forces of nature that made the cherry sing. A man who has represented his generation with honour and dignity. A man who will always be remembered as a young prodigy who became a legend. On the 24th of February 2010 this man finally cemented his place in the record books and showed us what dedication, faith and belief in oneself can do for a cricketer. No game epitomises the struggle within a man’s soul as this great game of ours does. No game can expose a man’s mindset as this game can. Those who can survive its rigours for a long period deserve the accolades they get. No body deserves this more than this man.

I remember watching his debut. A scrawny 16 year old facing up to the might of Imran, Wasim and Waqar in Karachi in 1989. He didn’t last long to be fair but showed glimpses of the ability we had heard about. Who was this school boy who had hit a triple century only a few years before? Afterall he was not much older than we were. It was always interesting watching him play because of his age. He was afterall one of us. A school boy living his dream. We all dreamt what he managed to do. God gave him talent but talent on its own will never get you where you need to go. Dedication and hard work cannot be ignored. It is a testament to the mans character that in twenty years of cricket playing he has never had a scandal. In the world of Indian superstardom that in itself is a miracle. When new youngsters fall foul of the temptations of modern cricket the old campaigner soldiers on with pride and dignity. There are not many left and I doubt we will see many more. In 1989 he went up against an old magician and showed the old master that a new apprentice is in town. Gavasker may have gone but a younger fitter magician was now ready to ply his trade. But it was in England in the coming season where the young man really showed us what we were facing. Scoring a century at old Trafford really woke up the English to this young mans talent. Many centuries were to come but as Pakistan fans we always dreaded seeing him get a start. Invariably if he did a fifty or century were normally guaranteed.

His wicket was prized like no other and invariably getting the little master out would mean the match. Those great Sharjah battles will always live in the memory and he played his part in many great innings. However his majestic demolition of Shane warne will always be remembered. Nimble footwork and powerful strokeplay destroyed the Aussies in India. He was always a good player of spin but he finally showed it by dismantling the greatest spinner of his age. Warney was known to remark about having nightmares after the drubbing. With fame came captaincy and although his own form never wavered , the pressure of leading a losing team finally told and he relinquished. However there is one major mark that the man has left on the psyche of the Pakistani fan. An innings that really brought Indian cricket into the current age of table topping flamboyance. The 2003 world cup was a personal triumph for the little master but none more so than his great innings to send our team out at the first hurdle. Immense pressure was on the little genius as he had not done his talent justice against the Pakistan team in recent times. The first few strokes against the Rawalpindi express put paid to that. A blistering uppercut six sent shockwaves down our spines and we knew he was in the mood. Shots all around the wicket put paid to any hopes of victory and we were well and truly beaten.

He has had ups and down, twists and turns including injuries, but the determination has continued and his dignity has never wavered. Some say the Mike Deness affair does bring some darkness in the light but overall he has conducted himself well throughout. As a Paksitani die hard cricket fan it has always been a pleasure watching the man produce innings after innings against the best and he has finally produced the best innings in a ODI international. Finally cementing his place amongst the legends of the game. Today as a Pakistani fan I salute Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. Not because everyone else is, Not because we are expected to. But because I want to. True genius should be celebrated even if it is wielding a willow against your own team. One day I hope we all look back and realise what a pleasure it has been to watch such talent. After all we may never get that chance again.

Discuss!