LATEST POLL

Who will win the 1st T20I between Ireland and Pakistan?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I learned more about myself after my debut": Shoaib Bashir

Bashir joins PakPassion for an exclusive interview where he ...

"Gary Kirsten will fit in nicely in Pakistan Culture": Vernon Philander

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Philander shares insights ...

"What is the guarantee that Gary Kirsten will take Pakistan to victory in the World Cup?": Atiq-uz-Zaman

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan International ...

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

After Pakistan were reduced to 33-4, Younis Khan and Asad Shafiq produced brilliant centuries to pull things back on day 1 of the second Test.

South Africa Vs Pakistan: Test 2 - Day 1: 

Toss: South Africa won the toss and elected to field.

Teams

Pakistan: Mohammad Hafeez, Nasir Jamshed, Azhar Ali, Younus Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq*, Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed†, Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Irfan, Tanvir Ahmed

South Africa: GC Smith*, AN Petersen, HM Amla, JH Kallis, AB de Villiers†, F du Plessis, D Elgar, VD Philander, RJ Peterson, DW Steyn, M Morkel

Day 1

South Africa’s confidence going into this Test match was evident immediately, as Graeme Smith won the toss and elected to field first in order to unleash Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander and the towering Morne Morkel on the vulnerable Pakistani lineup. South Africa named an unchanged side whereas the visitors replaced Rahat Ali with Mohammad Irfan, and were forced to recall Tanvir Ahmed in place of the injured Junaid Khan.

Things went exactly as planned for South Africa in the morning session. Nasir Jamshed failed to capitalise on a dropped catch, as he immediately nicked off to Philander the following ball, Dale Steyn dismissed Mohammad Hafeez with his stock away swinger which landed perfectly and took Hafeez’s edge. Morne Morkel wasn’t to be left out either, as he got rid of both Azhar Ali and Misbah in one over, the latter with a sharp short delivery that was gloved to short leg. Pakistan were 33-4 and in danger of being embarrassed once again.

This left Younus Khan and Asad Shafiq, Pakistan’s last recognised pair, at the crease, and a big partnership was needed to get Pakistan back into the match. They started cautiously, preserving their wicket but ensuring they cashed in on any rare loose deliveries provided by the bowlers. A couple of attractive drives from Younus showed that he had begun to regain some form following his half-century in the warm-up game. The pair took Pakistan safely through till lunch on 60/4.

The effect of the new ball had clearly diminished after the break, as Younus and Shafiq found it much easier to bat. They grew in confidence and began to unleash some attacking strokes, as well as running well between the wickets, and took the score past 100. Younus brought up his half century with a pull for six off Robin Peterson, and Shafiq followed suit a couple of overs later. A wicket-less session was frustrating for South Africa after their productive morning, but it was exactly what had been required from Pakistan’s point of view.

Nothing changed after the tea interval, in fact the batsmen became more aggressive. Shafiq took ten from a Philander over and later smashed Peterson for a six and a four off consecutive deliveries. Younus also hit a couple more sixes off the spinner as both batsmen closed in on their centuries, and brought them up within a couple of overs of one another. It had been a quality performance from the “new and old” of Pakistan’s batting lineup, one that completely changed the complexion of the game.

The new ball was always going to be a challenge, and it proved to be. Younus was immediately given out LBW but the decision was reversed upon review, but shortly after Philander got his man. A review for an LBW appeal detected an inside edge, but the ball had lobbed to the keeper and Younus was out for 111. Sarfraz and Shafiq saw the team through till stumps to end an absorbing day’s cricket.

Fall of Wickets

10-1 (Nasir Jamshed, 7.3 ov), 
21-2 (Mohammad Hafeez, 11.1 ov)
33-3 (Azhar Ali, 16.2 ov),
33-4 (Misbah-Ul-Haq, 16.6 ov)
252-5 (Younus Khan, 87.6 ov)

Summary

As with the 1st Test, day one was a fantastic advert for Test cricket. South Africa's bowlers used the new ball brilliantly, taking four quick wickets before an astounding fightback from Younus and Shafiq rescued the visitors. Any questions surrounding Shafiq's place in the team should now be well and truly put to bed. He is one for the future and needs the full support of all the fans.

Younus Khan proved one thing, that class is permanent. A beautifully constructed innings, reminiscent of his century against England in Dubai last year, showing the others how it's done. He saw off the new ball threat and then simply played his natural classy game. A thoroughly deserved hundred which should also quieten the whispers calling for his ouster. He was unfortunate to be dismissed right at the end of the day, but Pakistan will hope the two batsmen at the crease, plus the tail, can push the score beyond 300 and towards 350. 

After that it will be time to unleash a giant of our own.

Discuss!