LATEST POLL

Can Pakistan level the T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Hosts easily chased down target of 105 as Kane Williamson made a fifty after Pakistan were bowled out for 171.

By Abdullah Ansari (19th November, 2016)

Toss: New Zealand won the toss, Kane Williamson chose to bowl first.

Teams

New Zealand: TWM Latham, JA Raval, KS Williamson (c), LPRL Taylor, HM Nicholls, C de Grandhomme, BJ Watling (wk), TG Southee, TD Astle, N Wagner, TA Boult.

Pakistan: Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali, Babar Azam, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Mohammad Amir, Sohail Khan, Yasir Shah, Rahat Ali.

Sohail started off the day with a four and a three off the first couple of balls as Pakistan looked to extend the lead with the tailender showing a lot more intent that Pakistan's other batsmen. Shafiq seemed to edge a ball behind from Wagner with Snicko picking up a spike but New Zealand had no reviews left. Sohail continued aggressively, ultimately playing a shot too many as he pulled the ball straight to the man at backward square-leg after making Pakistan's top score of 40. Soon, Shafiq's scratchy innings came to an end as he went for a pull against Wagner with Raval taking an excellent catch. The innings finished with the hapless Rahat giving a simple catch at square leg as Pakistan were bowled out for 171, setting New Zealand a target of 105.

New Zealand were circumspect in the first few overs with no pressure chasing such a small target. Amir struck in the 9th over, however, as Latham fended a good short delivery to gully. Williamson came out with positive intent, rotating the strike well as Pakistan's plan of putting the batsmen under pressure failed to materialise. The batsmen made good progress as Yasir Shah also proved ineffective. There was an appeal and subsequent unsuccessful review for LBW against Raval as New Zealand went to Lunch at 58/1. The chase resumed in a similar manner after the break as Raval was strong in defence while Willliamson was positive as he reached a 56-ball fifty. He perished towards the end, top-edging a sweep as Raval hit the winning runs for New Zealand.

Summary: Quite a straightforward win for New Zealand, ultimately. Sohail showed good intent in the morning but the damage had already been done. Pakistan have a lot of work to do ahead of the second Test with the batting once again the primary source of concern. Another similar performance at Hamilton will see Pakistan heading into Australia having been whitewashed. Pakistan's recent unbeaten record in Test series will be at stake when they come out to play the second Test.

Fall of wickets:

8-158 (Sohail Khan, 72.6 ov)
9-166 (Asad Shafiq, 75.6 ov)
10-171 (Rahat Ali, 78.4 ov)

1-19 (Latham, 8.2 ov)
2-104 (Williamson, 30.6 ov)

Discuss!