LATEST POLL

Can Pakistan level the T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Pakistan captain unbeaten on 90 after Younis Khan made 127 as hosts piled up 304/4.

T2D1

By Abdullah Ansari (21st October, 2016)

Toss: Pakistan won the toss, Misbah-ul-Haq chose to bat first.

Teams

Pakistan: Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Mohammad Nawaz, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Yasir Shah, Zulfiqar Babar, Sohail Khan, Rahat Ali.

West Indies: KC Brathwaite, LR Johnson, DM Bravo, MN Samuels, J Blackwood, RL Chase, SD Hope (wk), JO Holder (c), D Bishoo, ML Cummins, ST Gabriel

Pakistan won the toss and opted to bat as has become the norm in UAE and made a few changes to the team - Younis Khan returned in place of Babar Azam while Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Amir were rested, with Zulfiqar Babar and Rahat Ali included in the team. The West Indies bowlers began well as they bowled good lines and in the 5th over, they made a big breakthrough as the triple-centurion from the previous game, Azhar, chopped the ball onto his stumps to be dismissed for a duck. Shafiq came out and batted in a positive manner as he put the bad balls away. Sami failed to get going though as he played a series of dot-balls and was eventually bowled by Bishoo in the 14th over, having made just 6 runs. Younis and Shafiq played out the rest of the session without further damage as they put on a fifty partnership, with the latter reaching a fifty of his own in an extended first session due to Friday prayers.

Play resumed after an hour and there was a close call for Younis as he almost played the ball onto his stumps but showcased great awareness to kick it away JUST in time. Shafiq could not convert to three figures as he perished a few overs into the second session, becoming the second batsman in the innings to chop a ball from Gabriel onto his stumps. Younis soon got to a fifty, showing that he had completely recovered from his recent illness. Misbah was circumspect at first but then went after Bishoo with Younis joining in as well. Pakistan had a scare in the last over before Tea as Younis drove the ball back to Brathwaite but the bowler was unable to hang on.

The veteran batsmen continued after Tea and brought up their 15th hundred partnership as the West Indies bowlers resorted to bowling wide of the stumps in order to limit run-scoring. Misbah soon got to another fifty while Younis brought up his 33rd ton with a four past point. The visitors had another chance put down as make-shift keeper Hope, in for Dowrich gave Misbah a chance. Holder also took a review for caught behind but with no hotspot or snicko, there was no obvious reason to overturn the decision. Misbah took the lead in the closing moments of the day as he neared a hundred of his own. Younis was dismissed with what turned out to be the last ball of the day as he went for a slog sweep and was caught for 127. Yasir came out as night-watchman but play was called off due to bad light with Pakistan positioned at 304/4.

Summary: Another day in UAE where the Younis-Misbah show has given Pakistan the upper hand. West Indies started well despite losing the toss as they dismissed the openers and would have harboured hopes of limiting Pakistan after the fall of Shafiq but the veteran batsmen had other ideas as their 175-run partnership put Pakistan in control of the game. The hosts' run-rate was also comparatively better after Dubai and they will look to put up a big 1st innings score once again, to put the West Indies batsmen under scoreboard pressure.

Fall of wickets:

1-6 (Azhar Ali, 4.2 ov)
2-42 (Sami Aslam, 13.2 ov)
3-129 (Asad Shafiq, 39.6 ov)
4-304 (Younis Khan, 83.6 ov)

Discuss!