LATEST POLL

Can Pakistan level the T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Ahead of the ICC Champions Trophy, Saj speaks to former Pakistan fast bowler and coach Waqar Younis to assess the team's chances in the tournament and reflect on the careers of the recently retired Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq.

By Saj Sadiq (28th May, 2017)

Saj Sadiq: What do you make of Pakistan's chances at the Champions Trophy?

Waqar Younis: There is no doubt that they are among the underdogs and their chances are not very bright. However, that's the beauty of cricket. If the Pakistan team clicks and they build some momentum winning their first couple of games, then you never know. In the past, there have been surprises in the Champions Trophy with West Indies winning the tournament in 2004, so no team can be totally ignored. Even India winning last time around in English conditions was a bit of a surprise. Pakistan have a good bowling line-up with Hasan Ali, Wahab Riaz, Shadab Khan, and also Mohammad Amir looks like he is getting back into the groove. The bowling attack will not allow teams to get huge totals of 300 plus, but the question is can the Pakistani batsman get those runs and reach those targets.

Saj Sadiq: There's nothing quite like an India versus Pakistan clash in cricket. What are your thoughts on the upcoming game at Edgbaston?

Waqar Younis: The less frequent these India versus Pakistan matches become, the more pressure there is on the players. These matches now come around once in three to four years so everyone is waiting with baited breath for these games. All of the players on both sides will feel pressure, irrespective of what they say in the media, and whether it's young Shadab Khan or the experienced Virat Kohli, they will be nervous.
I recall the matches I played in against India. I always felt the pressure, it was hard to sleep the night before. However, that's where you get tested and you can show your mettle. This is the time and the place to become a hero. It's a big challenge, but those who stand up to its will come out on top.

Saj Sadiq: Which teams stand out for you at the Champions Trophy?

Waqar Younis: There are three or four teams that stand out. England at home look the team to beat. They have a very long and attacking batting line-up and give the opposition bowlers no respite. Their approach to the limited-overs formats is very impressive. India, the reigning champions, cannot be counted out of the reckoning either, but they have just come out of playing in the IPL, a different format to the 50-over version, so that may go against them. I also like the look of South Africa, who some people call chokers, but with their squad strength, they cannot be written off. The other team that really impresses me is Australia - they can never be ignored when it comes to any major tournament. I think the quality of cricket should be superb, especially as the 50-over format has evolved so much recently with scores of 300 now just being par. If I had to pick one team who I think are the favourites, I would say it's England.

England have that slight edge over the other teams. They are hitting their straps before the tournament and in Mark Wood, Liam Plunkett, Chris Woakes and Ben Stokes, they have wicket-taking bowlers who are aggressive and want to stem the flow of runs by taking wickets. It's an attacking, and at times risky, policy but it's one that is working very well for them and they should carry on with this approach.

Saj Sadiq: The Australian pace attack also looks rather impressive, doesn't it?

Waqar Younis: Absolutely. Mitchell Starc is a bowler I always enjoy watching bowl and he will be a handful in this tournament. If you can swing the ball at pace like Starc can, you are always going to make things tough for the batsmen. The rest of the attack also looks impressive, with Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and James Pattinson backing up Starc. In addition, from Pakistan, I am also looking forward to watching Mohammad Amir, who I think will have a good tournament. The Indian pace bowlers have really improved too and they will be a force, plus I very highly rate the South African quick, Kagiso Rabada. It's an exciting tournament if you are a fan of pace bowling as there are several that can catch the eye.

Saj Sadiq: Younis Khan recently retired from international cricket. What will be your abiding memories of a player who you played alongside and also coached?

Waqar Younis: His achievements have been magnificent. To score 10,000 runs in the toughest format of cricket is just incredible. He has been a wonderful ambassador for Pakistan cricket and cricket in general. The fact that he played for Pakistan for so long speaks volumes for him. He has always been a team man, there to support his team-mates and those around him. He will be sorely missed.

Saj Sadiq: And what of Misbah-ul-Haq's achievements and the legacy he leaves?

Waqar Younis: He was a clean cricketer and a great leader. To lead the Pakistan team for so long had not been heard of previously, so he deserves a lot of credit for everything he has done. He took criticism on the chin throughout his career, but always came back stronger and stuck to the task. People tend to forget that he didn't just captain Pakistan for a long time, but he also won a lot of series' against the top teams in the world, including Australia, England and Sri Lanka. Then the icing on the cake was becoming the first Pakistani captain to win a Test series in the West Indies.

Pakistan have been very fortunate to have him as captain and leader, especially taking over at a time when Pakistan cricket was all over the place. Misbah piece by piece built the team, he worked so well with all of the coaches, including myself, and I found him to be the kind of person who got on very well with young players, senior players, coaching staff and everyone else. I don't think he's done with cricket and I think he has plenty to offer the game in future. His knowledge is second to none, his cricketing mindset is excellent and he just eats, breathes and lives for the game.

Saj Sadiq: The consensus is that it's not going to be easy to replace Misbah and Younis. Do you envisage a period of struggle for Pakistan cricket?

Waqar Younis: You don't easily replace players who have scored 10,000 runs in Test cricket. It's going to take some serious professionalism to match that. Pakistan has some talent in the country and we need the likes of Babar Azam to step up and take responsibility, show the world how good he is. In addition, Pakistan needs Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq to now become the leaders of the batting group. However, can Azhar, Asad and Babar match Younus Khan's and Misbah-ul-Haq's achievements? Only time will tell. When Javed Miandad retired, we were all worried about a replacement for him. It was the same when Inzamam-ul-Haq retired, but we found Younus and we found Misbah. There is always someone around the corner in Pakistan cricket to fill the gap of a leaving player. When Wasim Akram and I left, Shoaib Akhtar was around, and so was Umar Gul, so the replacements are there. But having said that, for some players like Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara, there are no replacements. You can get a replacement for Virat Kohli, but Tendulkar will never be replaced.

Saj Sadiq: What do you make of the recent fiasco involving Umar Akmal's selection and his subsequent omission from the Pakistan squad after his failed fitness tests?

Waqar Younis: To be blunt, the whole thing was just bizarre and should not have happened. It has damaged the reputation of Pakistan and Pakistan cricket. Something has gone wrong and it's difficult to blame Umar, or the selectors, or Mickey Arthur until the full facts are known. The Pakistan Cricket Board needs to dig deep and uncover what went on and to resolve this issue to ensure it does not happen again. Whoever is responsible for this episode needs to own up and take responsibility.

Saj Sadiq: Umar's career once again stands at a crossroads. What do you make of his lack of discipline, his immaturity and his attempts to self-destruct his cricket career?

Waqar Younis: Umar is his own worst enemy. He doesn't want to work hard, he doesn't want to put in the effort, he doesn't want to get fit, and it's embarrassing. He should be thoroughly ashamed that Mickey Arthur and the coaching staff have had to send him back to Pakistan. Umar should look in the mirror and tell himself in future I will sort this out. Will he do it? I'm not sure that he will, as there have been many incidents involving him throughout his career. That is why the talent has not blossomed. He has not done justice to himself. I think the PCB, the coaches and the selectors have been very kind to Umar as they keep giving him the opportunities because everyone wants to see him succeed and do well at the international level. I guess he's happy with what he's doing but if this was me, I would feel ashamed.