14:30 GMT, 27 April 2024

Announcement

Dear Members and Guests

The PakPassion team are delighted to welcome you back to our forums.

You will have noticed that we have re-launched the forums with a new software that we feel will provide our members with a much better all-round experience.

As with any upgrade, it will take a bit of time to get used to and there may be some issues that will need correcting. We have set up this thread

for you to report any issues that need looking into by our technicians or if you have any suggestions regarding the design and the layout of the forums.

We thank you for your patience whilst the forums were not available, but as you can imagine, a project like this takes a lot of planning, organising and hard work.

So, welcome back and happy posting!

LATEST POLL

Can Pakistan level the T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Latest Content

New Zealand defeat Pakistan by four runs in 4th T20I

Tim Robinson's blitz with the bat and William O'Rourke's remarkable spell put New Zealand ahead in the series, following a four-run win against Pakistan taking a 2-1 series in the 4th T20I at the Gaddafi Stadium on Thursday.

Read more

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the fast bowling coach of the Multan Sultans, delves into an in-depth conversation about her coaching philosophy, her experience coaching in PSL 9, and her approach to developing players' skills.                ...

Read more

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, Managing Director, and Co-founder of SACA, sheds light on the pressing issues faced by numerous British cricketers of South Asian heritage within the County Cricket circuit.                      ...

Read more

"Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief": Saj on the selection of the Pakistan T20I squad

Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief opines Saj as he reviews the Pakistan squad announced for the five-match T20I series against the Kiwis.

Read more

Talent Spotter

view all Talent Spotters
alt Talent Spotter : Mohammad Rizwan

PakPassion spoke to highly-rated 20 year-old wicket-keeper batsman Mohammad Rizwan who was on the...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Zafar Gohar

Zafar Gohar is a slow left-arm orthodox bowler from Lahore who impressed one and all during...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Ahmed Jamal

Ahmed Jamal, 23, is a right-arm pace bowler hailing from Abbotabad. Viewed by many pundits and...

Read More ...

Pakistan are 214/8, with the lead standing at 281 after good contributions by Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed and Yasir Shah.

By Abdullah Ansari (16th July, 2016)

Toss: Pakistan won the toss, Misbah-ul-Haq chose to bat first.

Teams

Pakistan: Mohammad Hafeez, Shan Masood, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Yasir Shah, Mohammad Amir, Wahab Riaz, Rahat Ali.

England: AN Cook (c), AD Hales, JE Root, JM Vince, GS Ballance, JM Bairstow (wk), MM Ali, CR Woakes, SCJ Broad, JT Ball, ST Finn.

Pakistan began the day in a positive manner, getting the remaining three England wickets for just 19 runs. Wahab Riaz began proceedings, dismissing Broad by yorking him. Yasir Shah soon dismissed Finn LBW and the last wicket came via a run-out as Jake Ball couldn't make his crease in time. Chris Woakes finished not out on 35.

Pakistan's innings began in a characteristic manner, with Mohammad Hafeez dismissed early by Broad, going for a waft outside off-stump, guiding the ball straight to Root in the slips in the process. Shan Masood and Azhar Ali were then involved in a short partnership which took Pakistan to lunch. However, the former was dismissed straightaway after the resumption, nicking to Cook off Woakes. Azhar Ali and Younis Khan then took part in a very slow partnership, resulting in the pressure mounting on the Pakistanis. Azhar Ali was soon out LBW, once again off Woakes to a marginal decision with the ball clipping leg-stump. The next dismissal was a bit of a surprise, Misbah-ul-Haq going for a big slog on his second ball to Moeen Ali and getting caught at the boundary.

Asad Shafiq joined a struggling Younis Khan in the middle. Shafiq once again displayed a good array of shots, but Younis Khan failed to get into any sort of rhythm as the two shared a 50-run partnership. Younis finally fell to Moeen Ali, cutting one onto his stumps after making 25 off 96 balls. The new man, Sarfraz Ahmed injected some impetus to the innings before Asad Shafiq was bowled by a beautiful delivery, becoming Woakes' ninth victim of the game. However, the first of the tailenders, Yasir Shah came in and frustrated England to no end, playing and missing several times, but also crucially hitting a few boundaries in between. He faced majority of the balls in the partnership before Sarfraz succumbed to Woakes, who got his maiden ten-fer; the wicket-keeper made 45. Wahab Riaz once again failed to make any runs, becoming Woakes' fifth wicket of the innings and eleventh overall. Pakistan ended the day at 214/8 with Yasir Shah unbeaten on 30, the lead being 281.

Summary: The late partnership between Sarfraz and Yasir will have left Pakistan feeling reasonably confident about their position in the game. Pakistan would have also felt pleased after cleaning up England's tail in good time, but with Pakistan reduced to 60/4, England were ahead of the game. However, crucial knocks and partnerships ensured the game stayed fairly even going into Day 4. Pakistan will hope Yasir Shah and co. can take the lead beyond 300.

Fall of wickets:

8-260 (Broad, 75.4 ov)
9-267 (Finn, 78.2 ov)
10-272 (Ball, 79.1 ov)

1-2 (Mohammad Hafeez, 2.4 ov)
2-44 (Shan Masood, 17.5 ov)
3-59 (Azhar Ali, 27.5 ov)
4-60 (Misbah-ul-Haq, 30.1 ov)
5-129 (Younis Khan, 50.3 ov)
6-168 (Asad Shafiq, 59.5 ov)
7-208 (Sarfraz Ahmed, 74.3 ov)
8-214 (Wahab Riaz, 76.1 ov)