14:30 GMT, 27 April 2024

Announcement

Dear Members and Guests

The PakPassion team are delighted to welcome you back to our forums.

You will have noticed that we have re-launched the forums with a new software that we feel will provide our members with a much better all-round experience.

As with any upgrade, it will take a bit of time to get used to and there may be some issues that will need correcting. We have set up this thread

for you to report any issues that need looking into by our technicians or if you have any suggestions regarding the design and the layout of the forums.

We thank you for your patience whilst the forums were not available, but as you can imagine, a project like this takes a lot of planning, organising and hard work.

So, welcome back and happy posting!

LATEST POLL

Who will be the highest wicket-taker for Pakistan in the 5-match T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Latest Content

New Zealand defeat Pakistan by four runs in 4th T20I

Tim Robinson's blitz with the bat and William O'Rourke's remarkable spell put New Zealand ahead in the series, following a four-run win against Pakistan taking a 2-1 series in the 4th T20I at the Gaddafi Stadium on Thursday.

Read more

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the fast bowling coach of the Multan Sultans, delves into an in-depth conversation about her coaching philosophy, her experience coaching in PSL 9, and her approach to developing players' skills.                ...

Read more

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, Managing Director, and Co-founder of SACA, sheds light on the pressing issues faced by numerous British cricketers of South Asian heritage within the County Cricket circuit.                      ...

Read more

"Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief": Saj on the selection of the Pakistan T20I squad

Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief opines Saj as he reviews the Pakistan squad announced for the five-match T20I series against the Kiwis.

Read more

Talent Spotter

view all Talent Spotters
Talent Spotter : Hasan Raza

18 year-old Hasan Raza is a left-handed middle order batsman from Mirpur who has been a regular for...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Hasan Ali

A comprehensive profile of the young right-arm medium-fast bowler who has impressed in domestic...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Asad Ali

Seeing Asad Ali bowling just blow my mind away ,A bowling style very much a replica of Darren...

Read More ...

Writing for FirstPost, Saj analyses the recently concluded week of games in the PSL 2018.

By Saj Sadiq (5th March, 2018)

The Pakistan Super League’s (PSL) initial phase of games being played in Dubai’s DSC stadium came to an end on 26 February with yet another embarrassing defeat for the hapless Lahore Qalandars.

This time the tormentors for the Qalandars was the team from Karachi and what appeared to be unnecessary and inane tinkering with the batting order could have well been blamed for the Lahore Qalandars’ demise. Not many observers of this game, however, could deny the absolute pleasure that Shahid Afridi continues to bring to the game. The irrepressible Afridi took 3/19 to earn himself the Player of the Match award.

For a man who recently celebrated his ‘38th’ birthday, PSL 2018 is turning out to be one that he may well cherish, with good performances with the ball, and of course there was that fantastic catch at the boundary in Karachi’s previous game which seemed to roll back the years for 'Boom Boom'.

Mohammad Amir started off well in the tournament, but a minor injury kept him out of the game against Lahore which allowed Usman Khan Shinwari to open his account with a promising 3/26 to announce his arrival in the PSL.

The fans in Dubai, much like the previous versions of the tournaments, failed to turn up in numbers and the hope for the organisers was that more spectators would show up in Sharjah as the tournament shifted venues for the second phase.

Kevin Pietersen's love affair with Sharjah continued and in Quetta’s game against Islamabad United, he demonstrated his relevance to modern Twenty20 with a swashbuckling display that saw him hammer 48 off 34 balls to help his side to a comfortable six-wicket victory against an Islamabad United team struggling for the right combinations. For the 2016 champions, however, the match had some painful memories as they lost their vice-captain Rumman Raees to a knee injury, thanks to a rather poor outfield in Sharjah.

While Pietersen’s excellence in Sharjah – his favoured ground if past editions of the PSL is a guide – seem to signal a shift in gears for the largely slow batting performances in the tournament, the next Quetta game produced fireworks of a more different and heroic nature.

This time it was the turn of the Peshawar Zalmi captain Darren Sammy to grab the headlines. Hampered by an injury to his right leg and with the Zalmi needing 17 to win off only nine balls and looking like losing their way in the chase of 142 runs against Quetta, Sammy produced perhaps the finest display so far of late-order hitting under pressure with 16 runs off just four balls to take his side to an almost improbable five-wicket victory with just two balls remaining.

Possibly the most exciting game of PSL 2018 came about not due to extraordinary feats of tactical brilliance but the hapless Lahore Qalandars' habit of snatching defeats from the jaws of sure-fire victories. Thus on a day when all seemed lost due to abandonment of the much-awaited game between Multan Sultans and Karachi Kings following rain in the desert, the tournament was set alight by the game between Islamabad United and Lahore Qalandars. The game was tied and then decided by a super over.

Quite how Lahore managed to turn what looked like a simple run chase into a super drama is something of a mystery but for the spectators and the millions glued to their television screens, this was pure theatre and entertainment that something only Qalandars could have conjured up. Chasing a meagre target of 121, the Qalandars managed to construct a collapse of comedic proportions to be bowled out for 121 with two balls to spare. Lahore were sitting pretty on 77/2 but then somehow folded to 121 all out. The Qalandars players, fans, coaching staff and owners looked bewildered, but felt they surely wouldn't have thrown it away in the super over. The super over was then played out and the match ended in favour of Islamabad after a six off the last ball by Andre Russell off the bowling of a heartbroken Mustafizur Rahman.

With Lahore in danger of disappearing from the tournament in a hurry, the attention shifted to the newbies of the PSL, the Multan Sultans, who have taken the tournament by storm. If their earlier successes could have been attributed to beginner’s luck, their demolition of Quetta Gladiators by nine wickets was truly sensational. Although a low-scoring game does seem out of place in the fast-paced, big-scoring T20 universe, what made this win truly special and memorable was the first hat-trick by a spinner. It was achieved by the ebullient Imran Tahir, although Sohail Tanvir who was adjudged Player of the Match was not too far behind in terms of his effort for his team.

The final two games of the Sharjah leg of the tournament can only be described as drab affairs due to their one-sided nature. Whether it is fatigue setting in or possibly teams getting smarter with their bowling options, the fact is that Peshawar Zalmi’s win by 10 wickets to inflict yet another loss on the Lahore Qalandars does not make for great advertisement of the tournament. The Qalandars again contributed to their own demise with yet another spectacular collapse after being bowled out for 100 when they were 42/1 at one point. Their future in this tournament looks decidedly darker now and a miracle turnaround will be required for them to get anything positive out of PSL 2018.

A similar story was witnessed in the final game of the Sharjah leg with Karachi Kings, ostensibly riding on a wave of confidence, deciding to play a strange and slow brand of cricket before Mohammad Rizwan took them to 153/6. Khurram Manzoor and Babar Azam may have shared a hundred partnership but the balls they used up meant that Karachi were left short of runs. Luke Ronchi then single-handedly smashed the Kings bowling to all parts as he hammered 71 off only 37 balls against an attack that included Tymal Mills, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Amir and Ravi Bopara. After Ronchi's dismissal, the experienced JP Duminy saw Islamabad home by eight wickets with 16 balls remaining.

So as the tournament takes a break before returning to Dubai, Multan lead the way on net run rate ahead of Karachi Kings. Peshawar, Islamabad and Quetta are still in touching distance of the leaders with Lahore currently looking like a team who would rather be at home.

http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/sports-news/psl-2018-shahid-afridi-luke-ronchi-light-up-tournament-lahore-qalandars-continue-to-struggle-4377249.html

Discuss!