14:30 GMT, 27 April 2024

Announcement

Dear Members and Guests

The PakPassion team are delighted to welcome you back to our forums.

You will have noticed that we have re-launched the forums with a new software that we feel will provide our members with a much better all-round experience.

As with any upgrade, it will take a bit of time to get used to and there may be some issues that will need correcting. We have set up this thread

for you to report any issues that need looking into by our technicians or if you have any suggestions regarding the design and the layout of the forums.

We thank you for your patience whilst the forums were not available, but as you can imagine, a project like this takes a lot of planning, organising and hard work.

So, welcome back and happy posting!

LATEST POLL

Can Pakistan level the T20I series against New Zealand?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

"The recent events are not something new in Pakistan Cricket": Kamran Akmal

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ...

PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and ...

Is Mike Hesson becoming Pakistan's Head Coach? PSL 9 Champion Coach in conversation with Saj

In an exclusive interview for PakPassion, the former RCB ...

Latest Content

New Zealand defeat Pakistan by four runs in 4th T20I

Tim Robinson's blitz with the bat and William O'Rourke's remarkable spell put New Zealand ahead in the series, following a four-run win against Pakistan taking a 2-1 series in the 4th T20I at the Gaddafi Stadium on Thursday.

Read more

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the fast bowling coach of the Multan Sultans, delves into an in-depth conversation about her coaching philosophy, her experience coaching in PSL 9, and her approach to developing players' skills.                ...

Read more

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, Managing Director, and Co-founder of SACA, sheds light on the pressing issues faced by numerous British cricketers of South Asian heritage within the County Cricket circuit.                      ...

Read more

"Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief": Saj on the selection of the Pakistan T20I squad

Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief opines Saj as he reviews the Pakistan squad announced for the five-match T20I series against the Kiwis.

Read more

Talent Spotter

view all Talent Spotters
Talent Spotter : Hasan Raza

18 year-old Hasan Raza is a left-handed middle order batsman from Mirpur who has been a regular for...

Read More ...

alt Talent Spotter : Usama Mir

Usama Mir is a right-arm leg-break bowler from Silakot, with an unorthodox action. Mir spoke to...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Imran Butt

17 year old Imran Butt is a top order batsman from Lahore who made his first class debut less than...

Read More ...

England end the day at 253/7, 86 runs behind Pakistan's total of 339.

By Abdullah Ansari (15th July, 2016)

Toss: Pakistan won the toss, Misbah-ul-Haq chose to bat first.

Teams

Pakistan: Mohammad Hafeez, Shan Masood, Azhar Ali, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Yasir Shah, Mohammad Amir, Wahab Riaz, Rahat Ali.

England: AN Cook (c), AD Hales, JE Root, JM Vince, GS Ballance, JM Bairstow (wk), MM Ali, CR Woakes, SCJ Broad, JT Ball, ST Finn.

Pakistan started off the day at 282/6 with Misbah-ul-Haq and Sarfraz Ahmed. Sarfraz got going in his usual manner, maneuvering the ball well and getting a few boundaries away. However, he perished soon after making 25, cutting a short and wide delivery straight to point, giving Chris Woakes a five-wicket haul. Wahab Riaz was cleaned up two balls later. Misbah-ul-Haq was bowled by Broad soon after, having struggled to get going in the morning. Mohammad Amir and Yasir Shah had a small partnership before the former got out to Broad; Pakistan finishing at 339 all out.

England got off to a jittery start with Alex Hales edging to slip soon off Rahat Ali. However, Cook and Root had a solid partnership with Pakistan's pacers struggling with their line and lengths. Both scored at a good rate, putting Pakistan under pressure as the partnership crossed 100. It didn't help Pakistan that Mohammad Hafeez and Sarfraz Ahmed put Cook down off a frustrated Mohammad Amir. However, Joe Root went for an uncharacteristic hoick against Yasir Shah, getting caught and that opened the flood-gates for the leggie.

James Vince played a few shots but was soon LBW to Yasir. He reviewed, but to no avail. Gary Ballance was next, falling to the leggie, LBW once again. A small partnership developed between Cook and Bairstow before the former played on, Mohammad Amir finally getting him after he made 81. A few overs later, Bairstow tried to cut a straight ball from Yasir and was bowled. There was another decent partnership between all-rounders Woakes and Moeen, until the latter became Yasir's 5th victim, once again LBW, showing Yasir's incredible accuracy. Yasir Shah, in the process, became the first leggie since Mushtaq Ahmed in 1996 to take a 5-fer at Lord's. Broad and Woakes played out the rest of the overs, with a late, unsuccessful review by Pakistan. England 253/7, 86 runs behind at Stumps.

Summary: Pakistan will be very pleased with their day. England would have been happy to end the Pakistan innings at 339, and at 118/1 with Cook and Root going strong, the home side were in the ascendancy. However, Root's dismissal opened the floodgates for the incredibly accurate leg-spinner to run through the inexperienced middle-order. There were a few partnerships in the middle, but Yasir's constant strikes ensured England were never comfortable. With England 86 runs behind, along with having to face the leggie in the 4th innings, Pakistan would feel fairly confident of their chances in this Test match.

Fall of wickets:

7-310 (Sarfraz Ahmed, 94.4 ov)
8-310 (Wahab Riaz, 94.6 ov)
9-316 (Misbah-ul-Haq, 95.5 ov)
10-339 (Mohammad Amir, 99.2 ov)

1-8 (Hales, 1.6 ov)
2-118 (Root, 28.3 ov)
3-139 (Vince, 34.5 ov)
4-147 (Ballance, 36.6 ov)
5-173 (Cook, 45.2 ov)
6-193 (Bairstow, 50.1 ov)
7-232 (Ali, 61.2 ov)